ADVERTISEMENT

Dawson is official

Going to assuming if there were other coaching changes that they would have been announced at this time?

Specifically saying Austin is NOW a run game coordinator makes me think someone going to have input on the passing game or a passing coordinator.

Reactions: oldjar07 and WHCSC
Specifically saying Austin is NOW a run game coordinator makes me think someone going to have input on the passing game or a passing coordinator.
Doesn't Held handle all things RB and run related? Why the need to add more on Austins plate. Think Held will be doing something else?

Doesn't Held handle all things RB and run related? Why the need to add more on Austins plate. Think Held will be doing something else?

Good question at this time.. Till SF makes a statement about any changes he had made your guess is as good as anyone else..

Reactions: husker2612
Good question at this time.. Till SF makes a statement about any changes he had made your guess is as good as anyone else..
Back when the rumors were swirling about Walters being out as OC, rumors were he might jump into the OC roll.

Look for Bill Snyder’s kid to be in the mix as special team analyst. Down to Nebraska and Texas from what I am understanding.

The only issue I see with an analyst doing this role is the limitations that they have in spending time on the field with these guys. We need a full-time coach to be able to be at practice and at games coaching this unit up. Analysts are limited in how much face time they can have.

Reactions: scarletred
The only issue I see with an analyst doing this role is the limitations that they have in spending time on the field with these guys. We need a full-time coach to be able to be at practice and at games coaching this unit up. Analysts are limited in how much face time they can have.

Pretty important part of the game if you ask me not having a hands on Coach for practices and games to leave it up to a analyst...

I am curious on how much time. A team spends on ST. Would the amount of be enough. Or would he be able to plane out the practice and let the other coaches run it. Allow him to handle the paper work so to speak. ??

I suspect the recruiting coordinator and run game coordinator titles are more about justifying raises and/or future raises than being any real change in coaching duties.

Apparently Frost now is looking at hiring Sean Snyder as an analyst who would handle special team duties. The son of Bill Snyder was named ESPN's special teams coach of the year for 2017. Didn't know you could hire an analyst for coaching duties, but I guess there's some kind of loophole that allows for that.

Most interesting is that Dawson took a $150K pay cut to come back to Nebraska. He previously made $475K at Nebraska and now will get only $325K in his new coaching role according to the OWH.

As for hiring some other high level analysts, I'd say the door is likely still open on that one. High level coaches are still waiting to see what other opportunities may develop before making any final decisions.

Last edited:
I am curious on how much time. A team spends on ST. Would the amount of be enough. Or would he be able to plane out the practice and let the other coaches run it. Allow him to handle the paper work so to speak. ??

Not sure but we were so pathetic that we need a good coach in a full-time role to flip it.

Pretty important part of the game if you ask me not having a hands on Coach for practices and games to leave it up to a analyst...
analysts can do very important work while not saddled with individual coaching duties. It leverages the on field coach's time. Back in the day, Tom used to sleep in his office and get just a few hours of sleep a night in order to get everything broken down and figured out for his assistants. Now they hire analysts to do some of the grunt work. Generally an analyst is somebody who has a ton of coaching experience who can be trusted to develop plans a week ahead of game week. It makes a TON of sense.

I suspect the recruiting coordinator and run game coordinator titles are more about justifying raises and/or future raises than being any real change in coaching duties.

Apparently Frost now is looking at hiring Sean Snyder as an analyst who would handle special team duties. The son of Bill Snyder was named ESPN's special teams coach of the year for 2017. Didn't know you could hire an analyst for coaching duties, but I guess there's some kind of loophole that allows for that.

Most interesting is that Dawson took a $150K pay cut to come back to Nebraska. He previously made $475K at Nebraska and now will get only $325K in his new coaching role according to the OWH.

As for hiring some other high level analysts, I'd say the door is likely still open on that one. High level coaches are still waiting to see what other opportunities may develop before making any final decisions.

Great post. So is it safe to say that we're still in it for Helfrich but out of it for Joseph?

I forgot he he had a hand in recruiting Rahmir Johnson too. Apparently Dawson relocated to the Meadowlands to be close to his mother who was sick.
There were several very good reasons for Dawson to go back to the east coast. He is VERY qualified to be our special teams coordinator and OLB coach. Valuable guy with tons of experience. No doubt he knew last year that he was going to try to go back so wasn't as involved with recruiting as he would have been otherwise. Hopefully he's here now for a while.

Great post. So is it safe to say that we're still in it for Helfrich but out of it for Joseph?
We were never in if for Joseph. I suspect that Frost thought there was a chance that Troy would be a candidate again for a head coaching job so maybe some preliminary contact was made with Joseph in a "what if" scenario.. I'll be surprised if we don't hire Helfrich if he doesn't get an OC job somewhere.

Last edited:
I wonder about Beckton. With the RC title being given to Held, that means he is only coaching TE, a lot lighter load than all the other assistants.

Disagree, this is a perfect job for an analyst and I believe Snyder is one of the best in the game. Although they may have limited time with the players, they have unlimited time with the coaches. Not to mention we have Dawson on staff now who has experience coaching special teams. Shouldn't be a problem imo.

I wonder about Beckton. With the RC title being given to Held, that means he is only coaching TE, a lot lighter laid than all the other assistants.
I suspect that they're still working on how they're going to dole out special teams duties. It might make sense for Beckton to spend more time there. They've been doing the self analysis of performance and how to maximize their performance going forward. The job titles often have more to do with how they're getting paid than what their on field work load is. No doubt Held was already spending more time on recruiting than probably anybody else on the team. Its a way to get Held more money as a coordinator to try to keep him from getting poached. You've only got so many ways to keep a guy who wants to be a head coach happy. Since hookers are illegal I think we better pay Held.WinkingWinking

Last edited:
Not sure but we were so pathetic that we need a good coach in a full-time role to flip it.
Disagree, plenty of teams don't have a full time special teams coach and can still have great special teams play. Hire the best we can at an analyst position, getting rid of Dewitt, and having our kicker back should do wonders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT