ADVERTISEMENT

Dawson has shown he doesn't want to be at Nebraska so why...

GenevaWildcats

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 23, 2002
bring him back as a position coach when he has already shown he is not satisfied with being a position coach here? It's possible current players and even staff on the team weren't happy with Dawson for leaving after being here just 1 season so it could be bad for morale bringing him back.

I just hope Frost looks at all candidates who are interested in the position and does some interviews rather than just bringing Dawson back just because he is familiar with him.

Discuss.

So Frost is going to bring in someone who doesn’t want to be here (not even looking at other qualified candidates) and he’s not going to have an open QB battle for next season...

What else will Frost do to further hamstring this team?

I actually heard he wasn’t looking at Dawson either... his number one candidate is Carol Frost. She will have this team whipped into shape in no time.

So Frost is going to bring in someone who doesn’t want to be here (not even looking at other qualified candidates) and he’s not going to have an open QB battle for next season...

What else will Frost do to further hamstring this team?

I actually heard he wasn’t looking at Dawson either... his number one candidate is Carol Frost. She will have this team whipped into shape in no time.
What is her win loss record as a coach. All I'm interested in are W's!

Yeah Im not a huge fan of bringing back Dawson. He already bolted once, odds are he will do it again (once a cheater always a cheater o_O) I would like to see a guy brought in who has potential to be around long term.

There's usually a right way and a wrong way to leave a job. All indications are that Dawson left the right way for the right reasons. Now the situation changes. If he's the best candidate for the job, and he wants back, if it's fine with the coaching staff then it's fine with me.

If he really wanted to be at Nebraska, I don't think he would have left.
Or, as others have stated, he needed another year coaching in the NFL to secure his pension.

I’m not saying he’s coming back, but he didn’t burn any bridges when he left, and maybe the security of a coaching position at Nebraska might be enticing. I don’t think it’s as simple as “he didn’t want to be here.”

I really wanted to be in Nebraska, but the best and highest paying jobs were not in Nebraska so I left. Does that mean I don't want to be in Nebraska? No it means I had to do what was best for me and my family!
And now you are never allowed to come back!

bring him back as a position coach when he has already shown he is not satisfied with being a position coach here? It's possible current players and even staff on the team weren't happy with Dawson for leaving after being here just 1 season so it could be bad for morale bringing him back.

I just hope Frost looks at all candidates who are interested in the position and does some interviews rather than just bringing Dawson back just because he is familiar with him.

Discuss.
Haven't seen where he is even considering coming back but as I recall he left for purely financial reasons not because he disliked Nebraska. He wanted to qualify for the security of earning his NFL pension.

Haven't seen where he is even considering coming back but as I recall he left for purely financial reasons not because he disliked Nebraska. He wanted to qualify for the security of earning his NFL pension.
Pension check is more of a sure thing long term than an assistant coaching paycheck.

IF his only reason for leaving was to get the 1 more year to qualify for NFL pension ect. I have no issues with him coming back, if he is the best option. Maybe his and Frost thought process was, go the the NFL for a year, get it done while we are still finding our legs. Then come back and so you can be here when we get rolling.

"If Scott Frost wanted to be at Nebraska, he wouldn't have gone to Stanford"

While I understand your argument for not bringing Dawson back, don't fault a grown man for making a business decision...the same one you would have made if you were him. No college coach in the country would say no to an NFL job if they were offered one.

While I understand your argument for not bringing Dawson back, don't fault a grown man for making a business decision...the same one you would have made if you were him. No college coach in the country would say no to an NFL job if they were offered one.
I also think he is trying to get his NFL years in for his pension.

Reactions: headcard

A business decision that hurt Nebraska. With all this continuity we keep hearing about, coming here for a year and then leaving doesn't help that. Especially when it was at a position that has a lot of turnover recently.

Yeah, I am not sure how it works. It might be a % of your last 3 years of employment in the league?

It varies greatly from player to player. An article I saw recently in which Jim Brown was criticizing the NFL's pension system stated that for players who retired before 1993, the rate was about $2,500 a month for a player who spent seven years in the league. Not sure what it is now

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Does he have a record of success coaching that position? Experience is one thing, a proven record is another.

A business decision that hurt Nebraska. With all this continuity we keep hearing about, coming here for a year and then leaving doesn't help that. Especially when it was at a position that has a lot of turnover recently.

So if you could receive higher pay and better benefits at a job that would be seen as a step up in your career, you would say no just because "its a bad time to leave company x?" Give me a break

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
It was our deepest position

So if you could receive higher pay and better benefits at a job that would be seen as a step up in your career, you would say no just because "its a bad time to leave company x?" Give me a break
I wouldn't rehire that person who already left once and is just looking for a step up in his career when what I need is someone to stay and help me build a program.

That didn't stop people from making excuses about coaching continuity at that position was the reason they weren't very good.
Ok, it wasn't me. Coach T did a great job. But regardless, the numbers were the highest of any room on the team at D line.
If people blamed our D line last year, we need ten LBs from now on, not just four.

I guess part of his reason for leaving last year was for the NFL pension in his future. Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: timnsun
I wouldn't rehire that person who already left once and is just looking for a step up in his career when what I need is someone to stay and help me build a program.
I know some get tired of hiring past Nebraska players or even coaches. If Frost is looking to build continuity, longevity, and a stable program like TO had. Looking to former coaches and players who also have a drive to see Neb success, vs just another stepping stone in their careers, is a good place to start. Especially if those former players already have coaching experience.

Ok, it wasn't me. Coach T did a great job. But regardless, the numbers were the highest of any room on the team at D line.
If people blamed our D line last year, we need ten LBs from now on, not just four.
Our D line absolutely was the problem last year and the year before that. Yeah our linebackers were slightly worse, but it doesn't mean D line wasn't a problem as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT