ADVERTISEMENT

Davie, Gangwish and Newby interviews...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Nebraska football player transcripts from Wednesday's news conference prior to Fan Day.

Daniel Davie, DB
On whether or not he would rather have fall camp practice in the morning or at night

“I think I like going at night better just because the sun is down and it is not as hot. Guys can be focused on practice and not so much on the heat and hydrating and things like that. I am looking forward to the night practices, I think it’s going to be fun.”

On his health

“I am good, 100 percent ready to go.”

On how he is adjusting to another new position coach

“I think it is going well, Coach (Brian) Stewart — he is real knowledgeable, especially about the corners. He has taught me a lot of new techniques and things I can apply to my game as well as things about the offense and little things to look for while I am playing in defense. I think as a secondary as a whole, we really enjoy playing for him and the things he has brought to the room. We are going to play pretty good under him.”

On how does the change of the defensive system affects the secondary

“For the corners especially, we won’t really have a safety over the top a lot of the time, so it is kind of up to us to win those 1-on-1 battles. That is something we did in the previous system as well, but most of the time we were in a two-high look, so we had some help back there. Now it is important for me and all the corners to win those 1-on-1 matchups. That is probably the biggest thing for us out there.”

On if there will be more game day tension because of the new defensive staff

“I don’t think so, I think when you play corner you want to be out there playing man. Covering is something I enjoy and something I have been working on throughout the summer. Being out there with DPE (De’Mornay Pierson-El) just working on our game. I think that has helped a lot and I am ready for the challenge.”

On working with De'Mornay during the summer

“I know in 7-on-7 we kind of made it a point to go against each other so that is always fun. He gets his and I get mine, so it is kind of fun going back and forth with him. We are just trying to get better, we are on the same team.”

On why he worked with De’Mornay

“He is up there with the talent, he is pretty good. He kind of gives me a different look because he is a smaller guy and pretty quick. I just like going against him—it is fun to talk some trash with him.”

On if he reset his expectations with the new coaching staff

“Every coach has a different philosophy and different things they want to be held accountable, we kind of have to adjust to what Coach (Mike) Riley wants. At the end of the day, we are all out there just playing football, when you play football you do what you need to do on the field and off the field you will be alright no matter who the coach is.”

Terrell Newby, RB
On coach Mike Riley saying he is the running back with the edge so far in preseason camp

“Feels pretty good, so far I feel like being consistent and spring helped me do that coming out as the top dog. Coach (Reggie) Davis kind of indicated that I was making a lot of strides and had a pretty good spring and I heard some pretty good remarks from Coach Riley in the spring.”

On if it feels like it has been a long time coming

“Yeah it has been a while, since I have been in a position like this but I feel like I learned a lot of different things under Ameer (Abdullah) and gained a lot of experience from the other guys in the room.”

On what he needs to do to make those five to seven yards runs into home runs

“I feel like taking one play at a time is the biggest thing for me, not trying to force things but like I said I think I have gained a lot of experience and gained a lot of confidence in the offense. I have worked on a lot of things in the spring, like my foot work, just trying to pick up some things.

On the biggest thing he learned from Ameer Abdullah during the time they spent together

“I would say just confidence and the IQ part of working, as Ameer showed every day at practice. Hard work and effort was a huge thing, he instilled some of those drills in my head and motivational stuff like that. He has just been a real good influence on me and all the other running backs in the room.”

On Jordan Stevenson coming in … good thing?

“I feel like it is a good thing for all of us, for Jordan also. Competition drives all of us and it has always been a big competition since Ameer was here… battling for second or third string. I think it only makes us better as a group.”

On if he’s met Jordan Stevenson

“Yeah I met him yesterday, just briefly.”

On his goals

“I just kind of want to take one thing at a time going into Fall Camp. I don’t really have set numbers for me or anything like that. I am feeling really comfortable in the offense and a lot of things feel a lot more nature to me now.”

Jack Gangwish, DE
On his summer

“Summer was great. We got to do a lot of work with our new strength and conditioning staff and those guys have been great. They have a whole theory on what football strength and conditioning is. It’s been kind of a learning experience. I think a lot of our guys really bye into the system and really enjoy what we’re doing. Off of that I think we’re seeing some really good improvements in our strength, size and speed.”

On the different philosophy regarding football fitness and strength

“Coach (Mark) Phillip, the major difference I would say is the type of movements we do. We do a style of lifting called Olympic Weight Lifting. The primary movements there are snatch and a clean and jerk. Where as in the old program we might have focused more on squatting a lot of weight the new program focuses to try and clean a lot of weight and do it really well and really fast. It’s got more of an emphasis on flexibility, mobility, range of motion. More balance involved, that sort of thing. The idea is that the types of movements we focus on now are more athletic than the types we previously focused on.”

On what the rise has been like from last year to becoming a captain

“It’s a lot different. I’m not used to this many cameras pointed at me. For a long time when I talked to people, the biggest difference is, they asked me if I was still on the football team. I would be like yeah, I’m still there, I’m still practicing, still doing my thing and most of the time people don’t ask me that anymore.

On the chemistry in the spring with the other guys on the field

“As far as chemistry goes, those three guys especially, Maliek (Collins), Vince (Valentine) and Greg (McMullen) have been playing together for a really long time. They’ve been in the D-line room, those guys have been getting snaps for a lot of years now. I’ve joined the room more recently, I was formerly a linebacker. But I’d like to think I’m involved with that chemistry. We went through kind of a hard transition there back in December, but if anything I think that has brought the guys closer. We worked together well during the Spring, we meshed well. Learning this new defense is something that we helped each other through and we grew even closer with. I would say that the chemistry in our room is better, maybe stronger than it’s ever been right now.”

On the philosophy compared to the previous

“Well as far as the new philosophy, I’m not 100 percent sure. That’s a little above my pay grade, but I can compare it to our former philosophy and the major thing that I’ve noticed is that it’s so much more aggressive. The No. 1 focus now is always to be playing fast, to be playing hard. Your steps may not be perfect, your hand placement may not be perfect but even if it is not perfect we want you in there hard. The main difference is that this is a kind of pin your ears back and go kill somebody type of defense, maybe not kill somebody but go and tackle somebody.”

On if he prefers this new philosophy

“For me it caters better to my style of playing. In our former defense I had to spend a lot of time on focusing on slowing down and holding myself back and kind of pulling back. Partially, some of my technique was as close to perfect as possible and partially so that I didn’t make a mistake in the decision making process that was involved. Whereas now, that really isn’t a factor, you have one job and you just have to go do it really hard.”

On who has really emerged after the summer between himself and Greg McMullen

“Well one guy that I would say has shown major improvement is Freedom (Akinmoladun). Freedom went from being a tight end to being a pretty good defensive end in just a few weeks. He’s shown to be really good. I’d have to say in my eyes who I would say over the summer and over the spring has shown to be a consistent football player and a guy you can trust out there is Ross Dzuris, he’s a walk on from Plattsmouth. Ross is a guy, he’s not a Randy Gregory type of athlete or anything like that, but he is really consistent and does his job every single play. You can count on Ross to know the defense and to know his job and to do it well.”

Competition pushes Newby
Running back Terrell Newby talks about the challenge presented by incoming talent.

Competition pushes Newby

Running back Terrell Newby talks about the challenge presented by incoming talent.

Newby ready to play prominent role

Running back Terrell Newby shares what he learned from Ameer Abdullah.

Pierson-El on wide receivers coach Williams

Wide receiver De'Mornay Pierson-El says new wide receiver coach Keith Williams' guidance is …

blank.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT