ADVERTISEMENT

David Santos....

Yep.

Sounds like Rose was moved to the outside too. Not sure I understand or agree but I'm very anxious to see what coach Bray does with the LB'er.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Wow...interesting move with Rose. Kid seemed to do a great job directing the defense and seemed to fill well. The only knock was speed. It will be an interesting move.

What happened to Santos? Not a great spring practice to kiss with a new defense getting installed.

Originally posted by GretnaShawn:
What happened to Santos? Not a great spring practice to kiss with a new defense getting installed.
Knee

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Yep.

Sounds like Rose was moved to the outside too. Not sure I understand or agree but I'm very anxious to see what coach Bray does with the LB'er.
Rose to the outside is a head scratcher. I assumed Bando would move to the outside so he and Rose could be on the field at the same time.

Originally posted by headcard:

Yep.

Rose to the outside is a head scratcher. I assumed Bando would move to the outside so he and Rose could be on the field at the same time.
Have you ever seen Banderas play? He is slower than most defensive lineman, don't get me wrong I think the kid has a lot of upside but his speed is suspect to say the least.

Originally posted by TheNewNU:

Yep.

Have you ever seen Banderas play? He is slower than most defensive lineman, don't get me wrong I think the kid has a lot of upside but his speed is suspect to say the least.
Seems to me "he moves around pretty well" when he knows where he's going

I don't think Banderas is slow because he is unathletic. I think he looked slow because he didn't understand the scheme. He was thinking way too much.

Bando is fast, real fast. What he struggled with is the MIKE spot in Pelini's defense. Way too much is required for that position with Bo and he never had a MIKE backer that could not only do what was required but play at a high level, including fast. When you think too much, you play a step or two behind (slow).

Lavonte had the skill and relied on his abilities and instincts. He played outside the system, so to speak, while the back-end made most of the calls and checks. Heck, at one point there were guys on the DL helping with checks because Lavonte couldn't.

Oh well, it's up to coach Bray, let's see what the young pup can do.

Bando is fast, real fast. What he struggled with is the MIKE spot in Pelini's defense. Way too much is required for that position with Bo and he never had a MIKE backer that could not only do what was required but play at a high level, including fast. When you think too much, you play a step or two behind (slow).

Lavonte had the skill and relied on his abilities and instincts. He played outside the system, so to speak, while the back-end made most of the calls and checks. Heck, at one point there were guys on the DL helping with checks because Lavonte couldn't.

Oh well, it's up to coach Bray, let's see what the young pup can do.
My impression is that they want a guy in the middle that can run sideline to sideline. Rose IMO while maybe a half a step slower than Bando seems to have better instincts in coverage and is a better open field tackler. This is spring. If its something they've watched on film and think he can help us there, they're going to give it a try. It lets them get two of their best backers on the field at the same time because clearly Bando really struggles in coverage outside. Get the tall fast guy inside. Let him take his drop and read the QB or blitz with those long arms on passing downs.

Yep.

I think Bando is a great athlete, that is his upside. Like HTO said, our MLB's (including Bando) really struggled with Pelini's scheme. Look how much better guys like Dillard and Santos played when they were moved outside. Look how much more productive Compton is in the NFL.

Yep.

You can't truly believe what you typed. This is a stupid troll. I want to believe your trolling. I don't want to believe a person could have an opinion that's completely wrong.

Banderas has plenty of speed. What he lacks is instincts which could possibly be attributed to the way he was coached. I think he will do very well in the new scheme. I don't like the idea of of Rose outside and Bando inside, but maybe it's just for the spring.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh my

11.1 100m

Santos pop an ACL? As a Bulls fan, I'm not very interested in getting REALLY specific about knee injuries so I can guess at a return timeline.

Very interested to see what changes defensively and if kids can get out of their heads a little in order to make some plays. Riley said yesterday they're going to be a base 4-3 and play quarters coverage. I'd be lying if I said I knew what the quarters coverage means.

I haven't seen that he's been asked about whether they'll be a one-gapping team.

It seemed like under Pelini you got the same kind of guys at MIKE that you did at safety, where they weren't amazing athletes, but they were the only one who understood enough to get it right most of the time.

Bando struggled in coverage - whether that is not understanding the D, lack of instincts, or lack of speed.......probably some of all 3.

Bando is a very athletic young man. Hurdled and threw at the State Meet his Senior year. Possibly his FB IQ is a bit suspect, but then again, he was an underclassman in system that demanded a lot from his position. Maybe he'll prosper in the new system.

Bando Track Profile

Originally posted by inWV:
Bando is a very athletic young man. Hurdled and threw at the State Meet his Senior year. Possibly his FB IQ is a bit suspect, but then again, he was an underclassman in system that demanded a lot from his position. Maybe he'll prosper in the new system.
Bo's defense was not known for producing underclassman phenoms...

Not one of those guys who is good at isolating and evaluating individuals players in games. But from what I remember from board postings, Bando was in way over his head as a frosh, but seems to have come around a bit by the end of last year.
Do we know whether the D Banker et al. are installing will moreso take advantage of athletes like Banderas? What about a kid like Newby?

I'm not worried one bit about Bandos speed. He's plenty fast and athletic enough to play D1 LB. What worries me about Bando is his instincts and his propensity for missing tackles.

I think the instincts can somewhat be hamstrung by thinking too much and not reacting but IMO the missed tackles are harder to justify. Poor technique,head down,grabbing instead of striking ,and in space just plain getting juked.

I know a lot of people are still high on him but I must admit im not one of them . I haven't seen much other than speed from him that excites me
im in wait and see mode with him and Santos to be honest with you. The only LB that im high on is Rose and he's coming off an injury. Hope Newby is ready and c'mon Young and other newbie s

Holla

So many times Bando is doing what he thinks he is supposed to, focusing solely on one thing and not paying attention to what was going on around him. It is so frustrating to watch him completely run himself out of a play.

By now, Riley and Co. have reviewed enough tape to identify some of the major weaknesses with last year's defense. You can hear from Riley's commentary (including today's press conference) that LB is a major area of concern. Run fits, lining up....all things that led to Melvin Gordon's big day were an issue that a great MLB can help alleviate. Bray may have one of the most difficult jobs on staff this year.

Why are you on hph calling our head coach a loser and our fanbase idiots? Run back to the wasteland of butthurt.

I believe that Rose referenced the move to OLB a few weeks ago on twitter. So this development has been in the works

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT