ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Doeren

Right, cause our hire and fire nature has proven to be so effective the last 20 years.

We keep going down this path of every 3 or 4 years hiring a new coach we'll be exactly what we have been for the last 20 years. A non-contender has been.

When a former QB that won a National Title at our beloved school gets shown the door after 4 short years, who in their right mind would think they could come here, win, and be a long time successful coach? No talented coach in their right mind would come here if they have no ties to this state unless they look at Nebraska as a mere stepping stone to something better.

Sorry, but you have a loser mentality. There are many coaches that would love the challenge of being a head coach in the Big Ten.

Lol. Ok. Did you forget about two teams named Wisconsin and Iowa, let alone NW. I don't know where you get the logic , we have not been much of anything for 20 years.
Iowa is an average team. Always will be. Frost should have beat them last 3 years. Wisconsin is a solid team but they are not Ohio State and Penn State. The West can we won every year or at least every other year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We have a coach in his 4th year here playing in knuckle dragging games against back to back ranked opponents in their own house.

The best and most competitive team we have fielded in years with some serious fight, and we're going to fire our coach yet again?

Sure, we could end up 4-8 and be a pretty good football team. I'd rather let the season run it's course and see where we stand.
Nebraska is the one of worst teams in the country for points scored and special teams is the worst in the nation.

Another losing season shows that Scott Frost is NOT the guy to provide winning seasons. Being a head football coach is a RESULTS-oriented profession. You end every game with a W or L.

Nick Saban was 25-22-1 and 17-14-1 at Michigan State after 4 years.

He then went 9-2 and couldn't get out of East Lansing fast enough.

Bill Belichick was 36-44 at Cleveland and shown the door. He was a 25 year position coach, got his chance, and failed. 5-11 his 1st year as the Patriots head coach, and if it wasn't for an injury to Drew Bledsoe, maybe he doesn't survive as head coach at New England either?

While those are crazy examples of what are considered to be the 2 greatest football coaches of the 20th century, they weren't all that great for a pretty damn long time.

3 years. 4 years. 5 years. Would sure be nice to have a coach for at least 7 years at Nebraska again. Give a young man an actual chance to hire, fire, make some choices himself and actually build a program.

Bill Belichick was 36-44 at Cleveland and shown the door. He was a 25 year position coach, got his chance, and failed. 5-11 his 1st year as the Patriots head coach, and if it wasn't for an injury to Drew Bledsoe, maybe he doesn't survive as head coach at New England either?

While those are crazy examples of what are considered to be the 2 greatest football coaches of the 20th century, they weren't all that great for a pretty damn long time.

3 years. 4 years. 5 years. Would sure be nice to have a coach for at least 7 years at Nebraska again. Give a young man an actual chance to hire, fire, make some choices himself and actually build a program.
Terrible examples.

Nick Saban IMPROVED MSU while under sanctions and it was obvious on the football field. He left for LSU to make it easier to recruit. The rest is history.

Your NFL example. You know two of some of the greatest college football head coaches ever were losers in the NFL? The NFL and college football are not the same game and should never be used as examples of comparison.

So, what's the cut off then? He goes 5 or 6 straight years with only 4 win seasons and no progress and you keep giving him raises and extensions?? LOL. Needs 10 years? Seriously? Winners win and make progress week in and week out. Year in and year out. I have seen none of that. It's getting worse.

The average coaching tenure in the SEC is 4.5 years. 68% of 5th year seniors in ncaa football will have played for 2 HCs… not the coach who recruited them. It’s just the way the ncaa football world works. We shouldn’t get too myopic in our own Lincoln snow globe, thinking the world believes we fire good coaches. The only firing that doesn’t stand the test of time is Frank (bo won, but was a penis) The others were all warranted, and firing Scott as painful as it sounds, due to the pageantry and certainty his hiring came with… will be the most warranted (and the most painful)… it’s not that we fire too many coaches, we just suck at picking new ones.
Truth! Preach On.

So, what's the cut off then? He goes 5 or 6 straight years with only 4 win seasons and no progress and you keep giving him raises and extensions?? LOL. Needs 10 years? Seriously? Winners win and make progress week in and week out. Year in and year out. I have seen none of that. It's getting worse.

The cut off is, if you are going to fire a guy, you damn well better be sure the guy you hire to replace him is better than the guy you fire.

People on this board are bringing up crazy stupid names like Urban Meyer, Luke Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, and Chris Petersen. And other than that, a bunch of P5 guys who haven't really won anything but win a 'nice' amount of games at supposed inferior programs.

Who do you guarantee will come here and win?

Reactions: scarletred
The cut off is, if you are going to fire a guy, you damn well better be sure the guy you hire to replace him is better than the guy you fire.

People on this board are bringing up crazy stupid names like Urban Meyer, Luke Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, and Chris Petersen. And other than that, a bunch of P5 guys who haven't really won anything but win a 'nice' amount of games at supposed inferior programs.

Nobody is posting those names. You are.

Reactions: JOHNNY N

At this point Joe Schmo from nowhere U is a better choice. There are no guarantees and no body is saying Urban Meyer is coming here. But a bunch of good young coaches and coordinators would give their left nut for 5 million a year and a chance to be a winner at a school like NU in a big time conference like the Big 10.

At this point Joe Schmo from nowhere U is a better choice. There are no guarantees and no body is saying Urban Meyer is coming here. But a bunch of good young coaches and coordinators would give their left nut for 5 million a year and a chance to be a winner at a school like NU in a big time conference like the Big 10.

We've gone through 5 coaches that essentially gave their left one to coach at Nebraska, and now a 6th you are wanting to hire since Osborne (hell, our crazy fan base wanted to fire Osborne multiple times).

Sorry, but I'm still in for Frost. Give the man a serious chance, let him fire and change his staff and keep some kind of structure, stability, and sensibility to our program.

There isn't a high school kid alive that knows we used to win games at Nebraska.

True, I forgot you love Jeff Monken running the triple option and guys like Dave Doeren that can't win their division after 9 years in a P5 conference.
Since you don't know my top tier: Jeff Monken, Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Hafley, and Chris Klieman. All 4 are near the top in the nation in rushing production. And all 4 are gettable.

He is better than Frost. And you are acting like he would be option #1, which isn't likely.

I bet Trev's list has Matt Campbell as the #1 - already recruits the same schools Nebraska does, could bring his recruits to Nebraska, and would bring the right type of culture and schemes to Nebraska that can win.
It won't be Campbell.

We've gone through 5 coaches that essentially gave their left one to coach at Nebraska, and now a 6th you are wanting to hire since Osborne (hell, our crazy fan base wanted to fire Osborne multiple times).

Sorry, but I'm still in for Frost. Give the man a serious chance, let him fire and change his staff and keep some kind of structure, stability, and sensibility to our program.

There isn't a high school kid alive that knows we used to win games at Nebraska.
Nobody gives a shit how many it takes to cycle through until you find the right hire. When you find the right hire, it becomes obvious very early.

TN is on their 7th head coach since Fulmer. You think TN would put up with a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons? Not a chance in hell.

4 years is a serious chance. Win this year or it's curtains in my opinion.

Nobody gives a shit how many it takes to cycle through until you find the right hire. When you find the right hire, it becomes obvious very early.

TN is on their 7th head coach since Fulmer. You think TN would put up with a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons? Not a chance in hell.
With the exception of two nine win seasons under Butch Jones Tennessee has been mediocre to bad for 15 years now. And they were a national laughingstock during their last two coaching searches. I would not use Tennessee as the example to follow. They’re going through coaches hand over fist and it is NOT working.

Reactions: HuskerJag
Since you don't know my top tier: Jeff Monken, Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Hafley, and Chris Klieman. All 4 are near the top in the nation in rushing production. And all 4 are gettable.

Worst list of coaches I've seen in forever.

Monken can run the triple option at Georgia Tech for all I care.

Jamey Chadwell isn't leaving the East/Southeast and is likely an SEC coach next.

Jeff Hafley is at least somewhat interesting, but again East Coast centric with just about zero recruiting ties to anywhere. We are at best a stepping stone program for him.

Chris Klieman is 15-12 and 9-10 in conference at K-State in 3 years.

Got anybody that would actually make a difference?

Jamey Chadwell isn't leaving the East/Southeast and is likely an SEC coach next.

Jeff Hafley is at least somewhat interesting, but again East Coast centric with just about zero recruiting ties to anywhere. We are at best a stepping stone program for him.

Joe Brady would be my choice if we are making a change.

You are an idiot.

Chris Klienman = national titles wins over OU

Jamey Chadwell = multiple conference championships. Program rebuilder

Jeff Hafley = NFL experience, College coordinator experience at the P5 level, on path to having back-to-back winning seasons as a first-time head coach and one of the top rushing attacks in the country.

Jeff Monken = first coach in Army history to win 11 games and only coach in Army history to have multiple 9 plus win seasons.

You are an idiot.

Jeff Hafley = NFL experience, College coordinator experience at the P5 level, on path to having back-to-back winning seasons as a first-time head coach and one of the top rushing attacks in the country.

Jeff Monken = first coach in Army history to win 11 games and only coach in Army history to have multiple 9 plus win seasons.

Dang.

Captain Clown Shoes that believes TO ran a triple option offense calls me an idiot.

Whatever shall I do.

He is better than Frost. And you are acting like he would be option #1, which isn't likely.

I bet Trev's list has Matt Campbell as the #1 - already recruits the same schools Nebraska does, could bring his recruits to Nebraska, and would bring the right type of culture and schemes to Nebraska that can win.
This would be a huge fail.

I guess if you are Trev you can get Matt C with ease because he has guided ISU to that sweet 1-3 start (yes, playing UNI within 3 points when you are the #7 team in the nation is a loss), but he is lame.

Now that there is tons of film on him and his offense, it is clear that he is just another average coach at best.

I know you have an erection for Monken (who the Illini never looked at) but I would take Jeff over Matt.

There is never an absolute guarantee that the next guy will be better. You are always taking a chance when you make a coaching change. But that isn’t a good reason for keeping a coach who has very clearly not gotten the job done. If the current guy is stinking up the joint, you show him the door and give someone else a shot.

There is never an absolute guarantee that the next guy will be better. You are always taking a chance when you make a coaching change. But that isn’t a good reason for keeping a coach who has very clearly not gotten the job done. If the current guy is stinking up the joint, you show him the door and give someone else a shot.
Clearly ask texass about that and they have fired coach’s with a winning record the last time because he couldn’t beat OU..

Iowa is an average team. Always will be. Frost should have beat them last 3 years. Wisconsin is a solid team but they are not Ohio State and Penn State. The West can we won every year or at least every other year.
A average team that beats us every year and goes bowling.I talked about Wisconsin, not Ohio State or Penn State. We can't beat the top dogs in our division, period. Till we do it doesn't make sense to say we should beat them .

Clearly ask texass about that and they have fired coach’s with a winning record the last time because he couldn’t beat OU..
Bingo.

Mack Brown wasn't Darrell Royal I guess.

DR was 180-60-5 and 8-7-1 in bowl games with 3 nattys.
Mack was 158-48 and 10-5 in bowls and the only Texas natty since 1970.

After 4 seasons of middling teams, Mack got out of town before he was fired.

Since then, some name guys that couldn't fail have gone through their ranks and now Cutty Sark is at the reins.

Sorry, but you have a loser mentality. There are many coaches that would love the challenge of being a head coach in the Big Ten.
There may be many, but I don’t think there are as many top flight coaches as you think. Coaches come and go in the blink of an eye in P5 conferences… just because many of them would love the challenge doesn’t make them worthy of the challenge.

I’m not saying we should keep Frost, but if we fire him we better not select a coach just because he would love the challenge of coaching here. That’s not a good enough reason to hire someone.

There may be many, but I don’t think there are as many top flight coaches as you think. Coaches come and go in the blink of an eye in P5 conferences… just because many of them would love the challenge doesn’t make them worthy of the challenge.

I’m not saying we should keep Frost, but if we fire him we better not select a coach just because he would love the challenge of coaching here. That’s not a good enough reason to hire someone.
Yep. Hell Gus Malzahn was going to set the world on fire and beat Sagan every year. Now at UCF and is mediocre as of now. Things change in a hurry.

Reactions: timnsun
You are an idiot.

Why do you insist on calling people an idiot? Or telling them they have a loser mentality. Everyone on this site is entitled to their opinion.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Right, cause our hire and fire nature has proven to be so effective the last 20 years.

We keep going down this path of every 3 or 4 years hiring a new coach we'll be exactly what we have been for the last 20 years. A non-contender has been.

When a former QB that won a National Title at our beloved school gets shown the door after 4 short years, who in their right mind would think they could come here, win, and be a long time successful coach? No talented coach in their right mind would come here if they have no ties to this state unless they look at Nebraska as a mere stepping stone to something better.
A coach who hasn't sniffed a winning record in four years. A coach who has a much worse record than the previous coach who was fired after three years.

ADVERTISEMENT