ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Aranda

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Curious why there’s not more mention of Dave Aranda. Took Baylor from 2-7 to 12-2.
DC and Assistant HC when LSU won National Championship, excellent defense record as DC at Wisconsin, strung 6 years in a row at 3 different schools with top 15 defense plus last year top 10.

I think he’s credited with recruiting 2 five stars, and 23 four stars (per 247).

His resume reads pretty close to what I would want…. and his current salary is only $4 million. We could probably double that salary if we wanted to start acting serious about being back with the big boys.

I’m no expert on all the candidates, but right now, he’s my guy.

Curious why there’s not more mention of Dave Aranda. Took Baylor from 2-7 to 12-2.
DC and Assistant HC when LSU won National Championship, excellent defense record as DC at Wisconsin, strung 6 years in a row at 3 different schools with top 15 defense plus last year top 10.

I think he’s credited with recruiting 2 five stars, and 23 four stars (per 247).

His resume reads pretty close to what I would want…. and his current salary is only $4 million. We could probably double that salary if we wanted to start acting serious about being back with the big boys.

He has been on mine since last year when we thought Alberts was going to let SF go of his duties as HC..

I’m not sure what his buyout deal is would be the one of the things that would hinder hiring him..
It’s highly unlikely that he would leave Waco for Lincoln..

He has been on mine since last year when we thought Alberts was going to let SF go of his duties as HC..

I’m not sure what his buyout deal is would be the one of the things that would hinder hiring him..
He’s been mentioned quite a bit, but usually as more of a long shot because he has a huge buyout that goes through 2029

Sad times when we got people thinking Baylor is a better job 😕

There’s plenty. It’s just spread around in multiple coach threads of which there is now one more.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Also pretty much guaranteed Mickey and Busch would be here with him since they worked together.

What's buyout and he did inherit pretty good Baylor team

What's buyout and he did inherit pretty good Baylor team
Not sure about those? But others saying the buyout could be large.

He would leave the not full 45,000 capacity venue for double capacity fans and double the salary.

People mention him plenty. Most feel he wouldn't make the jump. He is of course worth a call.

People mention him plenty. Most feel he wouldn't make the jump. He is of course worth a call.
I think if you wave $4 million (on top of the existing) in front of someone’s face to come back to his B1G roots and leave his dying league joining the passionate fanbase with new facilities, that person would really consider it.

Reactions: TheNewNU and WHCSC
Perhaps he'd leave Waco for Lincoln with the Big 12 headed for second tier status. He would be a fantastic hire
Joel Klatt said something to this effect on Colin Cowherd's show. He said because of the new reality of college football with the two superconferences, coaches in all the other conferences know they have to get into either the B1G or SEC if they want to be relevant.

So, a coach like Aranda who may not have considered Nebraska in the past, may actually do so now so that he's not left out of the Power 2.

With Baylor’s track record of hiring coaches lately we should just ask them who they would hire if we steal Aranada and go hire that guy.
Some of their success had been their recruiting base. Jimmies and Joes and they get plentu

Reactions: headcard
Joel Klatt said something to this effect on Colin Cowherd's show. He said because of the new reality of college football with the two superconferences, coaches in all the other conferences know they have to get into either the B1G or SEC if they want to be relevant.

So, a coach like Aranda who may not have considered Nebraska in the past, may actually do so now so that he's not left out of the Power 2.
To the contrary with the new format it’s going to be easier maybe for the others to get in to the playoffs

You’re right- a quick search showed $4, but another one showed the $6 mil.
I doubt we would win a bidding war with Baylor for their coach. With a salary already at 6 and a contract til 29 one would have to think his buyout is substantially more than what we had to pay Frost to go away

Last edited:
To the contrary with the new format it’s going to be easier maybe for the others to get in to the playoffs
I'm thinking for the other conferences you will likely have to win the conference and be reasonably highly rated. Big 10 and SEC more likely to get multiple teams in with at large bids, although seems like the Big 12 may have had some multiple bid years in the 4 team playoff era.

Reactions: Nebraska Power
start with a good base salary, say 6 million and jump in with 6 million in incentives for winning.
put your money where your mouth is for all involved
capitalism at its finest

start with a good base salary, say 6 million and jump in with 6 million in incentives for winning.
put your money where your mouth is for all involved
capitalism at its finest
They’re a private school so we don’t know what his buyout is. I suspect it’s over 20 million.

Reactions: Sigrun K sker
I doubt we would win a bidding war with Baylor for their coach. With a salary already at 6 and a contract til 29 one would have to think his buyout is substantially more than what we had to pay Frost to go away
Their last coach left for less than we’re willing to pay. Sure it was to the NFL but

It probably is lovely, but you’re not helping the cause here. haha
My wife went there and two sons. She just went down to visit the Silos, the castle and the Baylor campus. She can't believe how many building are on the campus right now. Its totally changed since she went there. I guess that Big 12 money is kicking in big time. Now they're building a brand new basketball complex right next to IH35 and Lake Brazos.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Wasn’t it aranda that was quoted as not wanting to leave the south? Sure he could take money from us and jump to one of the big two, but there will be plenty of southern schools looking for new coaches in the coming years as well.

Reactions: Lincoln100
I think if you wave $4 million (on top of the existing) in front of someone’s face to come back to his B1G roots and leave his dying league joining the passionate fanbase with new facilities, that person would really consider it.

B1G roots?

He spent three seasons at Wisky, that is it for the B1G or even the Midwest for that matter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT