ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Aranda is 3-3, just lost to a…

Matt Campbell…also 3-3.

Some of the names that have been rumored as targets for our job are underwhelming right now.

I am more and more curious about what Joseph can do with a 2 year contract. Meanwhile, no one else has really captured my imagination. I still wish Meyer would consider it.
That’s because the nebraska job is a career killer due to its delusional fans and admin that think its still the 90’s and haven’t been mired in over 20 years of losing and booting coaches. That catches up to you. Then comes doing stupid things like thinking giving MJ a two year deal would do anything but set him up to fail.

That’s because the nebraska job is a career killer due to its delusional fans and admin that think its still the 90’s and haven’t been mired in over 20 years of losing and booting coaches. That catches up to you. Then comes doing stupid things like thinking giving MJ a two year deal would do anything but set him up to fail.
You must've missed the post from just a day or two ago when one of our more reasonable posters pointed out that trolls that constantly run out the "Nebraska fans still think its the 90's" line are morons. He was right, you know.

You're right. Even when TO was here, he went from the OC for Devaney, to QB coach and OC. Then to HC and all those duties plus being the coordinator and calling the plays, but passed the QB coaching duties to Gill.

Most, not all, HC's are now just CEO types. That would have never worked for TO cause he needed to be hands on. The game has changed so much those duties have to be assigned to other staffers.

Thus far, Mickey has taken on the role of Interim Head Coach very well. It must be hard for a guy like him, who is so hands-on to let go of some of his favorite duties.

I think he's learning and trying to grow, and seems more comfortable as each week passes. The thing may still blow up in his face, but at this point he has been making a lot of really good moves.

He talks alot about "the boys" and he may have a unique way of being able to communicate with them that stiffies like Brian Kelly, Harsin, Bill O'Brien and others just don't have in their personality.
One think we’ve been looking past is the HUGE recruiting bump we would get if Mickey wins enough to get the job. Get to 6 wins AND hire Mickey and I think he would blow up with recruits nationally. JMO. Maybe you get that bump with Rhule or Herman. Probably not so much with most of the other names being bounced around. Maybe BOB due to his Bama association

One think we’ve been looking past is the HUGE recruiting bump we would get if Mickey wins enough to get the job. Get to 6 wins AND hire Mickey and I think he would blow up with recruits nationally. JMO. Maybe you get that bump with Rhule or Herman. Probably not so much with most of the other names being bounced around. Maybe BOB due to his Bama association
Totally agree.

In the last few years at LSU and now at NU, he has been beating the bushes and likely has his eye on, and a relationship with, some young, athletic talent in the Louisiana area.

Combine that with the fact that Applewhite was able to get Ajay Allen up here shows those two have a real eye for talent. If, barring injury, Palmer reels in about 80 passes, gets selected in a good round and that makes a good story to tell prospective athletes since Mickey had that relationship with Trey since he was 15 and got him to come up here, and Mickey delivered.

Throw in a potential standout recruit like Malachi, and you're right, the thing could really generate some interest from other top kids who haven't settled on the Bama, Ga, Ohio St, Clemson type schools.

As I've said, I like the way Mickey is operating as the Interim HC and can see more good things from him if he were able to select his own staff, the NIL money, and allow him to really be aggressive on the recruiting trails.

Never been a Head coach? If that’s the case I would rather hire Mickey and let him hire a top OC
He's produced big boy football wherever he's gone though, P5 level more than just one stepping stone team.

Otherwise I'd agree for most coordinators who are suggested to step into HC duties with just one previous P5 job of success.

Obsessed nut job alert.

If it wasn't for this atrocious offensive line I strongly believe MJ would get us to a bowl game. He can only do so much with the garbage he inherited (o line coach/s and c coach)
The B1G west doesn't have any juggernauts. We should have a chance against any west division team we play.

I'm not saying we shouldn't. But our 0line is going to be eaten alive from here on out. How is that Mickey's fault?
He is the head coach, and it is his responsibility to have them ready to play. He needs to improve their level of play.

Reactions: Chuck003
I would also add the caveat when you look at an overall win loss record you also have to take into consideration how bad the teams were that the coach in question took over. Some places are a total rebuild while others are in a better position to win games immediately
Yes I have learned that as well. One of the best ways to account for this is to take out their first year. Records are drastically different when you do that.

Could Herman be the dark horse? No buyout. Excellent offensive coach. Some think He was the key to Urbana’s offense at OSU. I would be happy with him.
Question with him as head coach is the talent. Did the boosters just stress him out too much or did he do more with less.

Zero interest in coaches who couldn’t win in talent-rich areas. I have said this repeatedly. If you can’t win at USC, Texas or Florida how are you going to win at Nebraska?
Not necessarily true. Sometimes it’s not talent holding those schools back. It’s the distractions around places like LA & Austin that make it hard to win. Mickey says it over and over again about Palmer in Baton Rouge. Almost a million metro population in BR and an hour from NOLA. Trey needed somewhere to escape that shit and grow up.

That’s why Nebraska can be so special for star athletes who need to mature a little. Some coaches don’t see that benefit or more importantly can’t get the kids to see that. That’s why LL scares the living shit out of me. And why I’m so pro- Mickey. MJ gets that better than anyone I’ve seen since TO.

to me, that’s our hidden gem and we’ve lost that. i think Mickey would do a fantastic job getting in good talent and getting them to buy in while they are here. Especially with the use of the transfer portal

I'm not saying we shouldn't. But our 0line is going to be eaten alive from here on out. How is that Mickey's fault?
It's not, however the reality of the situation is that he has to overcome the mess that was left by Scott Frost. Is that fair? Perhaps not, but Mickey understands what he is up against and will do his very best.

No thanks on Herman. I don't want a coach who hangs out drinking in titty bars on recruiting trips. My gosh, we just got rid of an overgrown frat boy. It is not asking too much to have an actual adult as a coach
And, he had Ewers gift wrapped and blew that commitment. Dude was way too immature to take over a blue blood program (ie. giving the LHN camera the double birds during Signing Day) Maybe he's learned from his time away, but I have serious doubts.

Rutgers was pretty good up front. We might fare better than we’re thinking right now. Need the thick boys to step up their game

Question with him as head coach is the talent. Did the boosters just stress him out too much or did he do more with less.
The AD and booster thing didn’t work. One huge factor in our favor is Trev IMO. He’s widely respected and a no bullsh## guy. No matter who it is I believe coaches will like working with an AD with Trev’s credibility and football knowledge.

3-3? Trev has to be excited about that. Icky 3 more wins and Baylor is bowl eligible. What a great accomplishment

2-3 team, and gave up 43 points. He also would probably be extremely expensive with his long term contract at Baylor.

I actually still think Dave Aranda is a great coach (particularly as a defensive coordinator). His stock is falling though, and he still is a relative unknown as a head coach (not a very long track record). Scott Frost used to be a good coordinator and had one really awesome season as a head coach too.
He's struggling because he's already thinking about his next coaching location/school. Same thing happened last yr. when Lincoln Riley struggled at OU, everyone wondered why, and then found out after the season that he had been planning to leave for USC for some time

He's struggling because he's already thinking about his next coaching location/school. Same thing happened last yr. when Lincoln Riley struggled at OU, everyone wondered why, and then found out after the season that he had been planning to leave for USC for some time
Maybe.

Alternatively you have to consider that maybe he caught lightning in a bottle for a season with Rhule’s recruits and now is fading as a head coach.

Or his QB got hurt and the backup cost them the game with untimely TO’s.

liepold isn't going anywhere

this team sucks & their fools' gold start will be far in the rearview when they end the year 6-6
They've been competitive in every game. Compared to where KU was, that alone is a huge accomplishment with their best chance at a winning season in well over a decade. Yeah their defense sucks and that's something that needs to be addressed if he were to be hired. There's a simple solution to that though and it's not letting him bring his DC if he even wants to.

Reactions: moralvictories
They've been competitive in every game. Compared to where KU was, that alone is a huge accomplishment with their best chance at a winning season in well over a decade. Yeah their defense sucks and that's something that needs to be addressed if he were to be hired. There's a simple solution to that though and it's not letting him bring his DC if he even wants to.
sorry, they scored 4 combined garbage time TDs this week and last to pull the scores to within reason

anyone watching knows they've been blown out & never had a chance the last 2 weeks

this will continue

sorry, they scored 4 combined garbage time TDs this week and last to pull the scores to within reason

anyone watching knows they've been blown out & never had a chance the last 2 weeks

this will continue
Garbage time TDs?? They outscored Baylor 20-7 in the second half. And Baylor scored theirs with less than 3 minutes left. There was nothing garbage about that.

Garbage time TDs?? They outscored Baylor 20-7 in the second half. And Baylor scored theirs with less than 3 minutes left. There was nothing garbage about that.
7LBt.gif

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
Know whose Stock is Dropping?

Any Coach from any School or NFL team that would cause 9% or More of Nebraska CornHusker Fans to respond:

WHO, What…WHO?

and;

WOULDN’T Cause the National Sports Media and College Football World to say:

WHO? WOW, just WOW! What a GREAT HIRE for Nebraska and Trev Alberts!

“That is a Championship Hire right there! Congratulations to Nebraska, their Fans and to Coach -_-_-_-_-_!”

“With the Tools he’ll have available to him at Nebraska, this is going to be Fun to Watch!”

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck003
Not necessarily true. Sometimes it’s not talent holding those schools back. It’s the distractions around places like LA & Austin that make it hard to win. Mickey says it over and over again about Palmer in Baton Rouge. Almost a million metro population in BR and an hour from NOLA. Trey needed somewhere to escape that shit and grow up.

That’s why Nebraska can be so special for star athletes who need to mature a little. Some coaches don’t see that benefit or more importantly can’t get the kids to see that. That’s why LL scares the living shit out of me. And why I’m so pro- Mickey. MJ gets that better than anyone I’ve seen since TO.

to me, that’s our hidden gem and we’ve lost that. i think Mickey would do a fantastic job getting in good talent and getting them to buy in while they are here. Especially with the use of the transfer portal
If being away from big cities makes Nebraska special, does that make Lawrence, KS or Manhattan, KS or Ames, IA or Knoxville, TN or Fayetteville, AR or many other schools just as special?

You
You might be on to something...

Don't knock too hard on Dave. I give it a 75 percent chance that he will be the next coach at Neb. And that would be a good thing. Although not my first choice, but top three. I think someones been talking to him for 6 months now.
I was on board with Aranda until I dug in to his resume. His recruiting results have not been great. Add that to his on the field performance this year and I’ve cooled on him. There’s one guy who checks all the boxes and it isn’t Aranda.

ADVERTISEMENT