ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Aranda is 3-3, just lost to a…

Lol at the idiots that want to hire someone with no head coaching or even coordinator experience because of long ago nostalgia. Nebraska has f’ed up for 20 years with coaching decisions. Have to get it right this time. Need a proven successful head coach who has won and built and developed programs before. Now I will grant you if Joseph is able to salvage this train wreck and get this team to a bowl game then he deserves strong consideration. Absent that it’s like our last election Nebraska cannot afford to make an emotional decision here.
I'm not the one wanting to hire a 3-3 coach.

Reactions: mavsker
I'm not the one wanting to hire a 3-3 coach.
I’m not a big Aranda fan other than the fact he is a good defensive coordinator. I think he still has to prove that he can win without Rhule’s players.

1)Rhule
2) Leipold
3)Doeren
4) Clawson
5)Hermann
6) Campbell
7)Aranda
8)Klieman

I don’t list Urban or Luke Fickell because I don’t think they are realistic.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m not a big Aranda fan other than the fact he is a good defensive coordinator. I think he still has to prove that he can win without Rhule’s players.

1)Rhule
2) Leipold
3)Doeren
4) Clawson
5)Hermann
6) Campbell
7)Aranda
8)Klieman

I don’t list Urban or Luke Fickell because I don’t think they are realistic.
O’Brien would be a good hire, I think. Maybe not thrilling but good.

Okay just to clarify something here not everyone is 3-3. Here are all of the coaches listed in the thread and their current career FBS coaching records.

Liepold 44-44
Aranda 17-12
Kliemen 25-17
Campbell 80-52
Brown 55-37
DeBoer 16-8
Rhule 47-43
Meyer 187-32
Clawson 88-80
Joseph 2-1

edit
O'Brein 15-9
Herman 54-22
Doeren 87-53

Okay just to clarify something here not everyone is 3-3. Here are all of the coaches listed in the thread and their current career FBS coaching records.

Liepold 44-44
Aranda 17-12
Kliemen 25-17
Campbell 80-52
Brown 55-37
DeBoer 16-8
Rhule 47-43
Meyer 187-32
Clawson 88-80
Joseph 2-1
These guys suck, I’m only willing to consider coaches that have never lost a game.

IMO, Mickey needs to get us to a bowl game to be considered as next HC. I just can’t see the justification for hiring someone with no HC experience that had a losing record as an interim.
I think some of it depends on some subjective analysis other than Ws. If he gets 2 more wins and has the team competing at a high level then you still have to consider him IMO. I wouldn’t want to have to be the guy to make that decision. A BIG factor is who else is interested in the job and what it costs to get them. I don’t see us shelling out 20 M in buyout money AND paying 7-8 M/year to get a name

Liepold 44-44
Aranda 17-12
Kliemen 25-17
Campbell 80-52
Brown 55-37
DeBoer 16-8
Rhule 47-43
Meyer 187-32
Clawson 88-80
Joseph 2-1

edit
O'Brein 15-9
Herman 54-22
Doeren 87-53
Could Herman be the dark horse? No buyout. Excellent offensive coach. Some think He was the key to Urbana’s offense at OSU. I would be happy with him.

Liepold 44-44
Aranda 17-12
Kliemen 25-17
Campbell 80-52
Brown 55-37
DeBoer 16-8
Rhule 47-43
Meyer 187-32
Clawson 88-80
Joseph 2-1

edit
O'Brein 15-9
Herman 54-22
Doeren 87-53
I would also add the caveat when you look at an overall win loss record you also have to take into consideration how bad the teams were that the coach in question took over. Some places are a total rebuild while others are in a better position to win games immediately

Could Herman be the dark horse? No buyout. Excellent offensive coach. Some think He was the key to Urbana’s offense at OSU. I would be happy with him.
Said this early. His overall win loss record is good, has ties to the recruiting region plus TX and now has NFL experience. His performance at TX was better than people think. Let’s face it other than Darrell Royal or Mack Brown who has consistently won at TX over the last 60 years.

Lol at the idiots that want to hire someone with no head coaching or even coordinator experience because of long ago nostalgia. Nebraska has f’ed up for 20 years with coaching decisions. Have to get it right this time. Need a proven successful head coach who has won and built and developed programs before. Now I will grant you if Joseph is able to salvage this train wreck and get this team to a bowl game then he deserves strong consideration. Absent that it’s like our last election Nebraska cannot afford to make an emotional decision here.
Dabo Swinney had no HC experience either when Clemson gave him the job. He was a WR coach who was the interim coach and it worked out.

I see where you’re coming from but I think fans put too much emphasis on HC experience. The best coaches are often unknown commodities and are hired without fanfare or hype.

Bob Stoops had no HC experience when he was hired by OU in 1999 when the Sooners were as bad as Nebraska is now. They had spent a decade being irrelevant and were really, really bad. Stoops was the DC at Florida. And this was after OU went the proven HC route with Schnellenberger, who had won a natty.

My point is, you never know. Like in any business, it’s good to hire someone with a lot of experience, but it’s still a crapshoot. Sometimes the best answer is the one you haven’t considered.

Said this early. His overall win loss record is good, has ties to the recruiting region plus TX and now has NFL experience. His performance at TX was better than people think. Let’s face it other than Darrell Royal or Mack Brown who has consistently won at TX over the last 60 years.
Zero interest in coaches who couldn’t win in talent-rich areas. I have said this repeatedly. If you can’t win at USC, Texas or Florida how are you going to win at Nebraska?

Dabo Swinney had no HC experience either when Clemson gave him the job. He was a WR coach who was the interim coach and it worked out.

I see where you’re coming from but I think fans put too much emphasis on HC experience. The best coaches are often unknown commodities and are hired without fanfare or hype.

Bob Stoops had no HC experience when he was hired by OU in 1999 when the Sooners were as bad as Nebraska is now. They had spent a decade being irrelevant and were really, really bad. Stoops was the DC at Florida. And this was after OU went the proven HC route with Schnellenberger, who had won a natty.

My point is, you never know. Like in any business, it’s good to hire someone with a lot of experience, but it’s still a crapshoot. Sometimes the best answer is the one you haven’t considered.
Don’t disagree tougher to predict success though when you go the coordinator route. You can definitely hit a homerun but a lot of times being a great coordinator doesn’t always translate to being a head coach. Different job. Somewhere out there there are position coaches or coordinators who will some day be great coaches but it’s kind of like drafting a QB hard to predict.

If Herman is a great coach, why hasn't anyone hired him the last two years? The only job he could get was an analyst position with the Bears last year, and they fired him after one year. Nobody hired him this year, even as an assistant.

brent vigen
2nd year at montana state
16-4
first year had them in championship game against north dakota state. fcs, lost qb on first series
last time msu was in championship game -1984
bohl oc and qb coach
on upward trajectory in coaching career. not another pancake -rise for awhile then just flatten out

Last edited:
If you can’t get Urban maybe you should go after his OC. Just a thought. You can maybe hire him for the same money that Frost was making and there’s no buyout.

Last edited:
Sark is currently 9-9 at Texas. Herman was 32-18. while i do see texas is looking really good when Ewers is playing. I would hold off until the end of the year before I agree or disagree with you
Sarks a good coach when he’s sober I think. I do think the days of expecting 1 or 2 losses year after year are gone for most programs. Way more talent parity than there was in the 80s. It’s damned tough to get through a year with 4 losses or less

Aranda's OC Jeff Grimes would be a better candidate imo.
I was thinking the same think last night that‘s why I posted the thread This just in..

Some of the players had some critical turnovers especially the backup QB that lead to the loss but in the end Baylor D could not stop WV..

I was thinking the same think last night that‘s why I posted the thread This just in..

Some of the players had some critical turnovers especially the backup QB that lead to the loss but in the end Baylor D could not stop WV..
Nailed it. Grime's offenses have been legit everywhere he's been, with Baylor and BYU before that. RVO (reliably violent offense).

He's never bewn HC, but like someone above mentioned how Stoops was just a DC at Florida before taking over Oklahoma. The rest is of course history...

No thanks on Herman. I don't want a coach who hangs out drinking in titty bars on recruiting trips. My gosh, we just got rid of an overgrown frat boy. It is not asking too much to have an actual adult as a coach

No thanks on Herman. I don't want a coach who hangs out drinking in titty bars on recruiting trips. My gosh, we just got rid of an overgrown frat boy. It is not asking too much to have an actual adult as a coach
I’ve not seen any reports on Herman misbehaving on recruiting trips. Carl? Yes. Sanders? Yes.

Nailed it. Grime's offenses have been legit everywhere he's been, with Baylor and BYU before that. RVO (reliably violent offense).

He's never bewn HC, but like someone above mentioned how Stoops was just a DC at Florida before taking over Oklahoma. The rest is of course history...
And even then I think being a coordinator is possibly over weighted. OCs don’t really get involved with many of the duties of a head coach any more than a position coach. IF you want your head coach to also coordinate or call plays obviously that’s a different story

I have been a very vocal supporter of Joseph, but I would also say he needs to do more than squeak by Indiana and Rutgers to earn the job.
Mickey 'squeaked by' Indiana? I guess I watched a different game. Did Michigan 'squeak by' Indiana as well? We did 'squeak by' Rutgers but I thought we controlled Indiana for much of the game, save for Chubba's fumble in the EZ & a late drive to end the half.

he wouldn't be impressed with Lincoln's titty bars

And even then I think being a coordinator is possibly over weighted. OCs don’t really get involved with many of the duties of a head coach any more than a position coach. IF you want your head coach to also coordinate or call plays obviously that’s a different story
You're right. Even when TO was here, he went from the OC for Devaney, to QB coach and OC. Then to HC and all those duties plus being the coordinator and calling the plays, but passed the QB coaching duties to Gill.

Most, not all, HC's are now just CEO types. That would have never worked for TO cause he needed to be hands on. The game has changed so much those duties have to be assigned to other staffers.

Thus far, Mickey has taken on the role of Interim Head Coach very well. It must be hard for a guy like him, who is so hands-on to let go of some of his favorite duties.

I think he's learning and trying to grow, and seems more comfortable as each week passes. The thing may still blow up in his face, but at this point he has been making a lot of really good moves.

He talks alot about "the boys" and he may have a unique way of being able to communicate with them that stiffies like Brian Kelly, Harsin, Bill O'Brien and others just don't have in their personality.

he wouldn't be impressed with Lincoln's titty bars
My brother almost got murdered at the one downtown. We were there for a bachelor party and he was standing against the wall (crowded) minding his own business. Another one of the guys reached waaaay over and pinched the ass of the waitress standing in front of him. Boy she turned on him like an angry grizzly bear. I'll never forget the look on his face!

• Haha
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
My brother almost got murdered at the one downtown. We were there for a bachelor party and he was standing against the wall (crowded) minding his own business. Another one of the guys reached waaaay over and pinched the ass of the waitress standing in front of him. Boy she turned on him like an angry grizzly bear. I'll never forget the look on his face!
Almost happened to me one time, but I was the pincher. That was an hour before the 4 of us were searching around looking under the table for the wallet my best friend lost. He was married to a kind of jealous, insecure bitch.

Reactions: mgbreis
Mickey 'squeaked by' Indiana? I guess I watched a different game. Did Michigan 'squeak by' Indiana as well? We did 'squeak by' Rutgers but I thought we controlled Indiana for much of the game, save for Chubba's fumble in the EZ & a late drive to end the half.
That’s a fair call out. It never felt like we dominated Indiana, but we did make awesome halftime adjustments and take control of the game.

Lol at the idiots telling Mickey he needs to win with the broken Frost players. 🤡
Buddy it’s a roster full of top 20ish recruiting classes.

an immediate turnaround isn’t expected, but he has the most talented team in the division by a lot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT