ADVERTISEMENT

Darlington looks like our best QB...

Letting Bush start for the Whites was at least and indication they wanted to see if he could handle the #2 duties. I saw a raw QB with some good physical tools - but not ready to take over the QB spot.

Darlington is the most polished QB we have at this point - but his arm is not very strong - and he is not the athlete TA is. With TAs experience - he will get the start. But I don't think Riley would hesitate to switch QBs if TA continues to be a turnover machine.

The play calls for Red early tell you we don't plan to get to far away from what TA can execute effectively. Zone read, play action, shotgun, bootleg.....they mixed it up later but that was the when he looked the most effective.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

Originally posted by scarletred:

Originally posted by HuskerAlum92:

According to HTO Darlington is not in the mix due to his concussion history. And I trust his information. So I do not think we should include Darlington as a possibility.
If that's true, then I have my first big beef with this staff. Why waste precious practice snaps on someone who will not be allowed in the mix. Don't even assign him a locker if that is the case.
You hit the nail on the head and this would be a head scratcher....HTO usually is spot on but I don't know if he 100% correct on this one.
I didn't remember him saying why he didn't think Darlington was in the mix. IMO if he's not in the mix its because of arm strength and consistency.

This post was edited on 4/12 11:32 AM by dinglefritz
Good point. I just assumed HTO thought Darlington was out of the mix because of concussions, since that was something he said a few months ago. But maybe it is because of arm strength. I don't know. All I know is that someone whose opinion is almost always correct on here (HTO) says Darlington is not in the mix.
If HTO is correct, and ZD is just a practice scout team only QB, then I get the impression ZD himself is in the blind as well as all the media complex covering NU Football. If true, I really question the staff on this one.

If Not, and HTO is wrong, then MR has to decide what is worse: lack of arm strength (ZD) or occasional bad decision making/interceptions and inaccuracy but with better running capability (TA).

Evaluating them all, my amateur eye said:

TA - About average. Going against the 1's on D, but still making some poor decisions, and throwing off his back foot even when he's not rushed, which is what TM did that drove me crazy and led to turnovers. Wish he would run more. Looks like a "leader" FWIW.

AJB - Just very uneven, and didn't get a sense that he's a leader at the QB position. Maybe that's too harsh, if so I apologize. Has a big arm, but it's extremely wild: short, wide, under/over thrown, etc. Some of the misses looked to be nerves and over-thinking the routes and timing, though. Needs to learn when to tuck and run, long strides and pretty agile.

ZD - Very smooth, in control, didn't make any major errors. If he lacked in the physical tools, he made up for it in my mind with timing and accuracy along with "Football IQ". I mean, he squared up and hit a 15 yard out no problem, with the flick of a wrist. Not to mention fitting it into the window between the corner and safety, textbook. Throws that neither TA or AJB were making on the run, or when set. Speed looked acceptable too.

Ryker - We know he's got skills, he just wasn't putting it together on Saturday. The screen for a TD was his best effort, but I think he could serve as a yeoman's QB in a pinch and not cost us dearly.

Stanton - Looked uneven and like he was pressing, but I didn't want much of the rest from here on out so I can't really say.

Brokemeirer - Sadly, did not see him.

Honorable mentions:

Sam Foltz is awesome.

DP-E is going to be electric once again.

I'll own up to it if I'm wrong. With that said, and I don't say this to downplay what Darlington did as he looked really good, but people need to keep in mind who he was (a) going against but just as important (b) who he had on offense with him. With all reports from spring practices, he didn't look as good when he had the 2's going against the 1's. Yes, this was air football (coach Riley term for no contact or 7-7). However, I'm a firm believer on how someone performs when the lights come on (live action, like a game) and Darlington performed.

I haven't watched all the film and will do so sometime this week but from what I did watch, I was disappointed our "#2" didn't get snaps early on with the "#1" offense. AJ has been working with the 1's (obviously with Tommy) then the spring game comes and he's with the 2's.

Last thought, it was nice to see bits of the offense. It should put to rest anyone saying "square pegs round holes" this off-season.

Originally posted by jimbosc:
Letting Bush start for the Whites was at least and indication they wanted to see if he could handle the #2 duties. I saw a raw QB with some good physical tools - but not ready to take over the QB spot.

Darlington is the most polished QB we have at this point - but his arm is not very strong - and he is not the athlete TA is. With TAs experience - he will get the start. But I don't think Riley would hesitate to switch QBs if TA continues to be a turnover machine.

The play calls for Red early tell you we don't plan to get to far away from what TA can execute effectively. Zone read, play action, shotgun, bootleg.....they mixed it up later but that was the when he looked the most effective.
What is it with the concern over Darlington's arm strength? Many of his throws were crisp (and accurate) and the touchdown to Turner was over 35 yards which he made throwing across his body. If the guy can throw an accurate ball 50 yards, then I have no problem with his arm strength. Who gives 2 s@%ts if he can't go all Cody Green and throw 70 yards from one knee. What good is having a strong arm if you can't throw the ball where it needs to go?

Looks to me like TA will hold down the starter slot. The coaches will continue to work on his mechanics and decision-making, and he'll be better by fall.

I think ZD just moved up to #2 and will push TA. If TA doesn't improve by fall, ZD could overtake him.

Everyone else has too many holes to be a #1 at this point, and too much to improve by fall.

Sounds like he wasn't in the mix at the start of spring...5th on the initial QB depth chart... and still wasn't after the first half of spring practices. But he definitely made a move 2nd half of spring and between the last windy scrimmage where he was the only QB who looked decent and the spring game he's certainly in the mix now.

Is Darlington the one we're going to crown after the spring game? ZD, Hesiman 2015, place your money down, sure thing, lock it in.

I liked what I saw from him, but I need to see more. He had that feel of a kid just going out there and playing ball, that sort of guy who maybe will make those "wasn't pretty but he got it done" plays for you.

Bush played like hot garbage. I think the moment was bigger than him, needs to settle down and just play catch on a lot of those throws.

Stanton seems to be sinking fast. I think the competition goes through fall camp between Armstrong, Bush and Darlington.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
I'll own up to it if I'm wrong. With that said, and I don't say this to downplay what Darlington did as he looked really good, but people need to keep in mind who he was (a) going against but just as important (b) who he had on offense with him. With all reports from spring practices, he didn't look as good when he had the 2's going against the 1's. Yes, this was air football (coach Riley term for no contact or 7-7). However, I'm a firm believer on how someone performs when the lights come on (live action, like a game) and Darlington performed.

I haven't watched all the film and will do so sometime this week but from what I did watch, I was disappointed our "#2" didn't get snaps early on with the "#1" offense. AJ has been working with the 1's (obviously with Tommy) then the spring game comes and he's with the 2's.

Last thought, it was nice to see bits of the offense. It should put to rest anyone saying "square pegs round holes" this off-season.
Judging by MR's body language and words combined, I bet ZD is #1 at this point. JMHO.

my guess would be TA, ZD, AB is how they'll line up. It's a long summer though, so who knows what AB will be by then. Pretty clear they are grooming him. I still don't see anyone other than TA taking the first snap vs the mormons.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

I re-watched most of the scrimmage on Big Red Wrap up last night. IMO, IF we are talking purely about the passing game, Darlington and Broekemeier looked the best of all the QBs. The thing I liked was the more consistent placement of their passes. They both looked to me like they were able to go through their progressions and make good decisions with the ball. I realize its apples to oranges when you talk about which D they were against, but ball placement and accuracy is a big deal and both TA and Bush struggled at times with that. Stanton was really bad until he had a couple of series under his belt and then he threw some better short routes. The development of these guys will be fun to watch because I think we'll get to see at least 3 of them play at some point in the next 3 years.

This post was edited on 4/13 9:44 PM by dinglefritz

I don't have a problem with AJ on the White team. We got to see him against the top DTs on the Red defense, and Darlington was protected from a few hits that way. Good call on both counts.

Well it definitely feels like we have at least 2 guys that could do an adequate job running the offense. That number should increase by the end of fall camp. If our special teams can be special, along with a solid D, we should be okay as the qb's and O continue to develop and get better. Is it August yet?

This post was edited on 4/14 9:13 AM by Lincoln100

Yeah, take Darlington's strong showing as gravy. It means that at least we've got one kid who showed he can go on a streak. That's more than we had in the first year of the WCO.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
Yeah, take Darlington's strong showing as gravy. It means that at least we've got one kid who showed he can go on a streak. That's more than we had in the first year of the WCO.
Rewatching the video Darlington had another pass that was dropped that would have been 6 so his completion percentage would have bumped 80% had that been caught by McNitt.

The thing that puzzles me about Armstrong is this: it is very clear that he has strong leadership qualities because in game situations the dude is as cool as a cucumber. I have admired his composure in big games in places like the big house. He really does not seem to get intimidated or rattled. So why then does he seem to panic when he is in the pocket and rush his throws without going through his progressions? It is the one instance where he really does seem to get rattled. I do not think his accuracy is all that bad and I think he could get his percentages up to around 60-65% if he did better with his progressions.

So is there any hope he can be coached up by this staff? If yes, then his game experience becomes a big plus and he could have a huge year. If no, then do we go with a guy like Darlington, who appears more accurate and cool in the pocket in the spring game, but who has zero game experience?

This post was edited on 4/14 9:45 AM by Pennsyhusker

The thing that puzzles me about Armstrong is this: it is very clear that he has strong leadership qualities because in game situations the dude is as cool as a cucumber. I have admired his composure in big games in places like the big house. He really does not seem to get intimidated or rattled. So why then does he seem to panic when he is in the pocket and rush his throws without going through his progressions? It is the one instance where he really does seem to get rattled. I do not think his accuracy is all that bad and I think he could get his percentages up to around 60-65% if he did better with his progressions.

So is there any hope he can be coached up by this staff? If yes, then his game experience becomes a big plus and he could have a huge year. If no, then do we go with a guy like Darlington, who appears more accurate and cool in the pocket in the spring game, but who has zero game experience?

This post was edited on 4/14 9:45 AM by PennsyhuskerIMO, last year he pre-determined where he was going with the ball and if KB was in the game he was going there almost no matter what. When KB was out he was better about going through his progressions it appeared to me. I think he had been drilled on getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack without much coaching on patience in the pocket. Decision making has been his weakness from day one. We saw the same thing with TM so IMO, coaching is the common denominator.

I was just thinking what if Joe Ganz wasn't helpful at all for Tommy. What if? Joe may have been a decent QB but like the saying goes, "even though they were a great player, doesn't mean they can coach in the same way." Certainly Tommy has great leadership qualities and can get a job done some of the time. Hopefully, Langsdorf and Riley mold him or ZD/AJ into a force worth reckoning. GBR

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

This post was edited on 4/14 9:45 AM by PennsyhuskerIMO, last year he pre-determined where he was going with the ball and if KB was in the game he was going there almost no matter what. When KB was out he was better about going through his progressions it appeared to me. I think he had been drilled on getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack without much coaching on patience in the pocket. Decision making has been his weakness from day one. We saw the same thing with TM so IMO, coaching is the common denominator.
I agree 100%. I like Bush and Darlington, but I also do not want to suffer through another 9-4 year. Even with a first year staff I would like to see a two or one loss season. I want to see that because I am a Husker and those are my expectations every year. And in my opinion Armstrong's game experience gives us the best shot at a good season. I rewatched the USC game and you know what? Armstrong had a great game for the most part. And I have seen him play really well in other big games too. Yes, he can be inaccurate. But let's not exaggerate his inaccuracy. I have also seen him make some amazing passes in traffic and while on the move. And nobody questions his arm strength or leadership. I am convinced that this coaching staff can turn Armstrong into a competitive QB who will win us a lot of games. Get Armstrong ready to start and then work the young guys in to game situations to get them experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT