ADVERTISEMENT

Darlington looks like our best QB...

both armstrong and darlington look good ... bush not so much

very difficult to assess bush given he is with the 3rd team playing against the 1st team defense

I agree. He looks the part. Kid has a ton of upside. Looks like we'll have a pretty solid #2 with starting experience.

Originally posted by jlb321:
both armstrong and darlington look good ... bush not so much

very difficult to assess bush given he is with the 3rd team playing against the 1st team defense
Bush looked better in the second half but he had a couple of throws where if he would have put it up and let Tolbert go get it he would have had a TD. Instead on the one play he got picked.

Originally posted by DCBloodRed:
Good technique, cool customer, squares to throw, etc.

JMHO.
Actually Broekemeier has made the best throws of all the QBs at this point.

We don't really see any improvement from TA and both ZD and Bush have higher ceilings. I'd be fine if they start ZD from what we have seen today. Those 2 guys need lots of reps.

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:
We don't really see any improvement from TA and both ZD and Bush have higher ceilings. I'd be fine if they start ZD from what we have seen today. Those 2 guys need lots of reps.
We have several decent options it appears to me. The accuracy thing from both Bush and Stanton is concerning. Frankly, Broekemeier impressed me more with his progressions and throws than maybe anybody other than Darlington. Granted, it was garbage time but he still made some good throws and put the ball where it needed to be against coverage.

could not watch the game in its entirety ... from what I saw almost all the throws were from outside the pocket .... can someone comment on whether they saw many 5-7 step drops (or equivalent from the shotgun) with throws from the pocket

could not watch the game in its entirety ... from what I saw almost all the throws were from outside the pocket .... can someone comment on whether they saw many 5-7 step drops (or equivalent from the shotgun) with throws from the pocket
there were quite a few throws from the pocket in the 2nd half. I suspect not having to block our first team D line probably contributed to that. Broekemeier looked like a guy that you could trust to put in a game if we had an injury disasters at QB. Darlington had the best day of all the QBs it looked like to me but I'm not sure what D he was facing most of the time. Bush has some learnin to do.

I had never seen Darlington play before today and MAN was I impressed. He actually LOOKS like a QB, not just an athlete who can throw it a little bit. Great instincts, went through his progressions, quick release and accurate passer, poised, and a good athlete. He LOOKS small, but surprisingly is listed as 6'2" and 205 pounds - bigger than I thought. Just looks like he has the "it" factor. Am I gushing over this guy without seeing much of him? Absolutely! Just REALLY pleasantly surprised...

He did look good but judging from the quotes of the OC its all a race for the backup spot right now...Darlington has two things going against him though and that is arm strength and his concussion history but at least for one day he did shine

I've been thinking about the whole "arm strength" thing all day... I honestly haven't seen him throw a deep ball so I have no idea what his arm strength is or isn't. However, I do know that with his instincts, great mechanics and quick release he would be able to overcome any lack of a "power arm" he may or may not have. To me, a QB's arm strength comes into play more on the "out" passes versus just throwing it as far as they can vertically... I just loved what I saw today from ZD.

Originally posted by NUSouth:
Agree. My rankings are darlington 1, broekemeier 2 and ta 3
Please stop. Broekemeier was playing against guys we will probably never see....much like himself. TA will be the starter, second string will be between Bush and Darlington depending on the fall.

Darlington was a pleasant surprise and he handled himself well he out played A. J. Bush this afternoon, but Tommy at this point and time we remain the starting QB until he no longer can move the offense or gets injured.

Was hoping to see Bush play better than what he showed but he was going against Collins, Valintine and McBriide most of the afternoon.

Stanton been the biggest disappointment for myself expected him by now to make a bigger jump by this time in his career.

Hopefully Darlington and Bush can continue to show progress this summer heading into fall camp.

Saw one spring practice.

TA

EVERYONE ELSE.

It's clear #6 gets reps because he's got some potential (arm strength and athleticism). Darlington is a coaches kid, has wonderful fundamentals and a cap gun. Man his ball floats. Ryker didn't have his best day, but I wonder if he's really penciled in as #2. Stanton must really be struggling.

Based on what I saw yesterday, Darlington looked to be the best QB (smooth!).....I think it will take a few more days like that to give him the starting nod however. GBR.

Originally posted by huskerbr12:
Saw one spring practice.

TA

EVERYONE ELSE.

It's clear #6 gets reps because he's got some potential (arm strength and athleticism). Darlington is a coaches kid, has wonderful fundamentals and a cap gun. Man his ball floats. Ryker didn't have his best day, but I wonder if he's really penciled in as #2. Stanton must really be struggling

what's a cap gun?

Saw one spring practice.

TA

EVERYONE ELSE.

It's clear #6 gets reps because he's got some potential (arm strength and athleticism). Darlington is a coaches kid, has wonderful fundamentals and a cap gun. Man his ball floats. Ryker didn't have his best day, but I wonder if he's really penciled in as #2. Stanton must really be struggling.
oh and, your clear cut favorite took a knee in the endzone to give up a safety....i'll defer to benning as my spokesperson on the matter.... yikes ....

This post was edited on 4/12 7:26 AM by wreckitralph

Who is banning?

I didn't get to see the game, but the knee in the end zone... I'm thinking that a 2 year starter probably won't be doing something like that in a real game... Just a guess though.

Originally posted by timnsun:
Who is banning?

I didn't get to see the game, but the knee in the end zone... I'm thinking that a 2 year starter probably won't be doing something like that in a real game... Just a guess though.

benning...and he wasn't as nonchalant about it as yourself.... will add that I guess if coaches said "just take knee" that makes a little easier to swallow, but still...

This post was edited on 4/12 7:45 AM by wreckitralph

This post was edited on 4/12 7:46 AM by wreckitralph

As positive as I am about our program's direction now, I think we will struggle similarly to last year. Linebacker and OL may improve, but our QB situation is good for about 3-4 losses. Armstrong and Stanton can't make the throws required in this offense, Bush is a project, and all other candidates are backups. It's a long way to September though, so there's still time for improvement.

According to HTO Darlington is not in the mix due to his concussion history. And I trust his information. So I do not think we should include Darlington as a possibility.

Strange, they would let him run the ball and not put a green jersey on him if they were still concerned.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:
According to HTO Darlington is not in the mix due to his concussion history. And I trust his information. So I do not think we should include Darlington as a possibility.
If that's true, then I have my first big beef with this staff. Why waste precious practice snaps on someone who will not be allowed in the mix. Don't even assign him a locker if that is the case.

Originally posted by wreckitralph:
Who is banning?

benning...and he wasn't as nonchalant about it as yourself.... will add that I guess if coaches said "just take knee" that makes a little easier to swallow, but still...

I believe the instructions from the coaches were "just don't take a safety" and TA heard "take a safety"

Originally posted by HuskerAlum92:

If that's true, then I have my first big beef with this staff. Why waste precious practice snaps on someone who will not be allowed in the mix. Don't even assign him a locker if that is the case.
You hit the nail on the head and this would be a head scratcher....HTO usually is spot on but I don't know if he 100% correct on this one.

Originally posted by scarletred:

You hit the nail on the head and this would be a head scratcher....HTO usually is spot on but I don't know if he 100% correct on this one.
I didn't remember him saying why he didn't think Darlington was in the mix. IMO if he's not in the mix its because of arm strength and consistency.

This post was edited on 4/12 11:32 AM by dinglefritz

Originally posted by wreckitralph:
Who is banning?

I believe the instructions from the coaches were "just don't take a safety" and TA heard "take a safety"
Other than touch on short routes, TA's Achilles heel has always been his decision making........his short throws and footwork looked better. Decision making didn't.

Originally posted by dinglefritz
I didn't say why he didn't think Darlington was in the mix. IMO if he's not in the mix its because of arm strength and consistency.
Fair enough... I can see his point now instead of the concussion issue.... Arm strength would be his Achilles hill similar to Jake Rudock.

Originally posted by huskerbux:

Originally posted by NUSouth:
Agree. My rankings are darlington 1, broekemeier 2 and ta 3
Please stop. Broekemeier was playing against guys we will probably never see....much like himself. TA will be the starter, second string will be between Bush and Darlington depending on the fall.
Thank you for the moment of clarity. For goodness sakes, it's a spring game, people!

Broekemeier obviously wasn't in the Langsdorf's top 3 but he did look good. He looked like in a pinch he could come in and run the offense successfully. The one throw that really stood out was an incompletion in to the endzone. The placed the ball about as well as one could and the receiver didn't make the catch.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Originally posted by scarletred:

I didn't remember him saying why he didn't think Darlington was in the mix. IMO if he's not in the mix its because of arm strength and consistency.

This post was edited on 4/12 11:32 AM by dinglefritz
Good point. I just assumed HTO thought Darlington was out of the mix because of concussions, since that was something he said a few months ago. But maybe it is because of arm strength. I don't know. All I know is that someone whose opinion is almost always correct on here (HTO) says Darlington is not in the mix.

From what I saw his arm strength was sufficient. I loved watching him play. out of him bush and Armstrong he was the only one that went to his second third or fourth options. One play he sat in the pocket and he started on the wr to the very right and turned his head slowly til he found a wr on the very left of the field. Bush and Armstrong look down one wr and if he's not open they force it Anyways. It's almost like they panic and feel they need to get rid of it quickly. Darlington kept his cool and knew how long he had. He was great in the pocket. He showed he could scramble and also throw in the run. His mechanics were flawless. He should have had 3 tds but some we're dropped. Bush should have had 3 ints but they were dropped. Darlington didn't force anything. I know I've only seen one "practice" but from what I saw he is my clear cut favorite. If he wasn't an option because of concussion issues then they would have used less reps on him and he wouldn't have run the ball.

This post was edited on 4/12 12:59 PM by TarheelHuskerFan

Originally posted by TarheelHuskerFan:
From what I saw his arm strength was sufficient. I loved watching him play. out of him bush and Armstrong he was the only one that went to his second third or fourth options. One play he sat in the pocket and he started on the wr to the very right and turned his head slowly til he found a wr on the very left of the field. Bush and Armstrong look down one wr and if he's not open they force it Anyways. It's almost like they panic and feel they need to get rid of it quickly. Darlington kept his cool and knew how long he had. He was great in the pocket. He showed he could scramble and also throw in the run. His mechanics were flawless. He should have had 3 tds but some we're dropped. Bush should have had 3 ints but they were dropped. Darlington didn't force anything. I know I've only seen one "practice" but from what I saw he is my clear cut favorite. If he wasn't an option because of concussion issues then they would have used less reps on him and he wouldn't have run the ball.

This post was edited on 4/12 12:59 PM by TarheelHuskerFan
I agree that he looked like m maybe the most natural QB out there.

Saw one spring practice.

TA

EVERYONE ELSE.

Cap gun my ass. He doesn't have the zip that Tommy and AJ have, but he is far from weak. Taylor didn't have a live arm, and he was all conference. Decision making and accuracy is going to go a long way on who gets significant playing time. And about your comment on Ryker . . . you serious Clark?

Ahhhh... You said it yourself, he doesn't have the zip of TA or AJ. Don't get me wrong, ZD looked good, but his ball floats and I don't think he can make all the throws that Riley and Langsdorf require. Maybe someday his arm will get stronger and he will be able to make the throws.

And yeah, I am serious, I do wonder if Ryker is #2. He didn't look good Saturday. However, the freshmen have flaws and if TA went down, I wonder if he'd be more reliable than he other 2. Riley himself said don't read into the order the guys played Saturday. Maybe that's bs, I don't know.

To me, TA is the starter going into the fall and the rest will sort themselves out over the summer and fall camp. Good battle for #2 and I hope someone emerges.

Originally posted by Lincoln100:Originally posted by huskerbr12Saw one spring practice.
TA
EVERYONE ELSE.

Cap gun my ass. He doesn't have the zip that Tommy and AJ have, but he is far from weak. Taylor didn't have a live arm, and he was all conference. Decision making and accuracy is going to go a long way on who gets significant playing time. And about your comment on Ryker . . . you serious Clark?

I am with you Lincoln. IMO if you can't do progressions, or look off defenders - you are not a qb? I mean really; you should be good at these things in HS; how can you start for a major college team if you can't do this fairy well. TA had a vanilla game plan yesterday; good. Darlington did progressions, very mobile; I saw him yelling change of direction to receivers during a few plays.
How can you expect to be other than a second tier team; if you have a qb that can only throw down a watched rope. Not going to happen against good D's and real talent. The D's will disquise coverage and your qb will throw excessive interceptions
( familiar?). Passes to outlet receivers and secondary receivers that break open; are real passes also - Ability to read the field, one of the traits of a qb that helps win playoff games ( tOSU and in the pro's ) . I like TA also; hope he has it all. Darlington was the best looking qb out there. Aj will be fine; he did about the worst he could and still shows he has the potential. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT