ADVERTISEMENT

Darlington, a legit option?

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
I thought I remembered some "in the know" posters last year saying there is 0% chance Darlington ever sees the field due to the concussion history and the Brady Hoke-ian ineptitude/ignorance it might convey from the administration and staff. Any thoughts?

I was pleased to see Zack do well in spring but held my breath every time he broke the LOS

And yes, I know TA is QB1

A legit option...until he gets hit and then its hold your breath time....also I doubt anyone here knows what the playing time depth chart is gonna look like

I find it difficult to believe that if he wasn't thoroughly cleared by the medical staff and a legit option that two separate staffs would keep him on the team, on scholarship and not move him directly to medical hardship.

Reactions: AndyHanline
The most important factor for a Mike Riley QB is completion percentage. For that fact alone you have to think he is an option. Will he be a #1? No idea but with his football IQ and ability to read defenses he is an option.

Who knows. The last concussion he had was nasty. I know he is cleared, but those head injuries are scary things. Hate to have anything bad happen. If he is good to go though, I hope to see him do well.

I loved everything I saw out of ZD in the spring game (hadn't ever seen him before). He LOOKS like a QB and I was thoroughly impressed... Would love to see him play.

He probably just had his bell rung somewhat. He just needed to sit out a few plays to a game. He should be as good as new now.

Unless someone here is Darlington's personal doctor there is no one qualified to discuss his concussion situation. And IF his personal doctor was here there is no way he would offer his opinion to the public. So for those reasons presently he has to be treated like any other QB on the roster. Anyone of them could suffer a medical injury at any time.

I thought I remembered some "in the know" posters last year saying there is 0% chance Darlington ever sees the field due to the concussion history and the Brady Hoke-ian ineptitude/ignorance it might convey from the administration and staff. Any thoughts?

I was pleased to see Zack do well in spring but held my breath every time he broke the LOS

And yes, I know TA is QB1
Yes, but I still fear for his safety

I find it difficult to believe that if he wasn't thoroughly cleared by the medical staff and a legit option that two separate staffs would keep him on the team, on scholarship and not move him directly to medical hardship.

I agree, and coupled with Cornicator's comments I think we can safely assume he has been cleared. Despite all that, I think coaches, doctors, and medical support staffs associated with the athletic departments are being much more sensitive to the issue of concussions than they have in the past. There are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding their long terms effects on the brain and one's susceptibility to them after repeated occurrences. So from a broader medical view, given the likelihood of experiencing another concussion while playing football, it still may not be the best idea for ZD to play in a scenario where he risks contact to the head ever again.

Still, it makes sense to keep him off medical scholarship while you still think there is hope of him contributing to the team and no real danger to him medically. So he might still continue to be an active member of the team and practice until it's determined for sure that he'll never play. That could be a determination the coaches make after additional depth comes in by way of recruiting or through another concussion scare. Hopefully neither happens and he is a solid contributor, if not a starter then a worthy backup.

The general rule used to be that if a player suffered multiple concussions in a short span with one a grade III concussion that they were done for the year, out for 6-12 months.

New practice seems to avoid any such general rules in favor of personal examinations and tests. I haven't any idea whatsoever what the results of any tests Darlington has had, but he hasn't taken any significant contact in two years now and reportedly multiple doctors say he's OK to play.

If he was my son I'd still be very nervous. One more relatively severe concussion, ever, and I think he needs to move on.

I think he is definitely an option. I think his skill set is the closest of any QB on the roster for what Coach Riley wants to do on offense.

Reactions: nothingkevin
Laughing I watched that game. It wasn't pretty.

One thing to keep in mind, and this is from someone who had to quit football because of concussions... you really can't tell how a hit effects the brain by looking at the hit. Some hits look like they would murder a player and the guy ends up without a concussion. Others look like nothing and end up having a severe one. Based upon his after affects, he definitely had a severe one, but they seemed to take the proper time to heal it. Concussions are taken seriously now and I doubt medical personal would just clear a first year player without knowing for sure he could handle it.

If I was the coach, I wouldn't play him. I understand he is cleared to play, but I couldn't put that kid in that position to have his brains scrambled again. If you listened and watched him speak after the last one, it was just really sad. I couldn't have that on my conscious if I put him in there and he got another concussion and turned into a vegetable.

Reactions: leodisflowers
If he's been cleared to play, he can play. If I were a coach, I wouldn't set a bar that is higher than that of a the medical professionals involved, but I would make sure that kid was examined by independent experts in concussions.
Good luck to the kid. I remember that folks were really high on him before the injury. He may be "the guy" before all is said and done.

Went to the Spring game and he looked to improve as he played - he was shouting out to receivers and seemed to really see the field; have to say, we have been starved for that. He ran well and with authority; made me flinch:) but they will discuss. Did read coaches saying he hadn't had that many reps up to the game, and they were really going to check him out in fall camp. My guess is they are getting positive feedback from summer workouts; such as allowed - may explain some of the other qb drama this summer. I don't have the stats, but after the Spring game; some were pointing out he came in with a lot of speed for the position.... We are now a research facility for this type if injury, he is where he needs to be and deserves his shot as cleared. gbr

Dad is HS football coach...bro played at OU. One has to think his family knows more than anyone here about the risks of playing football. You have to also think if he is still playing, than they obviously support his decision.

Kid has real QB talent and seems to be a good leader as well.

GBR

Reactions: otismotis08
I see both Darlington and Stevenson are going to be wearing No 2. That tells me the staff doesn't plan on one of them seeing playing time this year.

The most important factor for a Mike Riley QB is completion percentage. For that fact alone you have to think he is an option. Will he be a #1? No idea but with his football IQ and ability to read defenses he is an option.
True, but for his offense to be most effective, the QB also has to be able to take the top off the defense. If the QB cant do that, it creates major issues against some defenses like when Ganz was our QB.

I see both Darlington and Stevenson are going to be wearing No 2. That tells me the staff doesn't plan on one of them seeing playing time this year.

I didn't think about that, is Stevenson definitely #2 or was that just for those few pics online?

I am sure if ZD is top three on the depth chart and Stevenson blows up the depth chart at RB, they will find a different number for one of them :)

I thought Darlington looked good in the spring game but that doesn't always mean much. One thing I really noticed about him is that he has spent some time in the weight room. Kids got some guns now.

I thought Darlington looked good in the spring game but that doesn't always mean much. One thing I really noticed about him is that he has spent some time in the weight room. Kids got some guns now.
Darlington looked the best in spring game and it wasn`t close. But then again, it was only the spring game

Darlington looked the best in spring game and it wasn`t close. But then again, it was only the spring game

His HS AD said it wasn't that serious of a concussion. They took a very cautious approach when it happened. That doesn't mean that since he was helicopter ed it was an extreme case. To bad all kids don't get that level of cautious care.

His HS AD said it wasn't that serious of a concussion. They took a very cautious approach when it happened. That doesn't mean that since he was helicopter ed it was an extreme case. To bad all kids don't get that level of cautious care.
right, but you have to remember that was like his 3rd concussion overall. THAT is the part that is the most concerning, esp. of someone of such young age.

I really think that this kid is 1 hit away from never playing again. I watched him in his last game as a senior and he got lit up, not once, but twice.

Reactions: nothingkevin
ADVERTISEMENT