ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorse names

Liberty? Last night?

Per the comment about some wanting to run Tom out. I was one at the time. Tom knew he had to change and he did, he found the formula. Too many think he didn't adapt which would be totally false. Nebraska of the 90's was a far cry from the Ferragamo and Humm days.
You're right. Tom, early, threw it all over the place with the 2 you mentioned and his other QBs.

I think, maybe, the determining factor was NU just could not protect the QB against those OU defenses.

During those games on the radio, I kept hearing the announcer go, "You better hurry Dave.!"

The Selmon brothers, Derland Moore, and the OU crew were not kind to QBs.

Sidenote. My wife really had the hots for Vince.

I'm good with this but if Rhule is N, why not announce him already rather than take a chance MJ goes on a run (odds slim but possible)?

The other way to look at that is to prove the internal candidate is not worthy by letting him play it out. Plus, there's no rush/need announcing Rhule if that's the game plan: let MJ fail, then name Rhule.

The other way to look at that is to prove the internal candidate is not worthy by letting him play it out. Plus, there's no rush/need announcing Rhule if that's the game plan: let MJ fail, then name Rhule.
Mickey already landed the highest rated recruit in the class

"let MJ fail"

AS8v.gif

Reactions: dinglefritz
What did you expect? Nebraska has been killing coaching careers for 25 years now. The delusion is real. Realistic options are - Joseph, Monken, Chadwell, & BoB. Patterson is a retread but would do decent - but decent doesn't satisfy the utter delusion in lincoln. Been saying it from day 1 when his name wasn't even being mentioned - nebraska should be going all in on getting Freeze. He would absolutely kill it there. nebraska isn't getting a single other sitting P5 coach tbey'd like to offer, no decent to good P5 coach is touching that job with a 10' pole to just be run out of town with pitchforks in 2-3 years because nebraska thinks they're something they no longer are and haven't been for 25 years.
Your next coach is one of these guys
Joseph
BoB
Monken
Chadwell
Patterson
Rhule - longshot, doubt he takes if offered. he can do better waiting

If nebraska had any football intelligence left at all - they'd go get Freeze and then stay out of his way and let him do what he does
I would be on board with Freeze. But disagree about the career killer. Every blue blood runs through coaches until they find the right guy. There is massive pressure at all of the traditional power schools. Enough money could create more realistic options.

Reactions: king_kong_
Heard some interesting things regarding some coaches trev has talked to or wants to talk to over the past month that have displayed some interest. I was very surprised by the first two, but apparently they are considering leaving for the right job. Take it or leave it, just sharing.

Pat Fitzgerald. He loves Nebraska’s history and facilities.
David Shaw. Feels Stanford is holding him back. Apparently Jim got away with some things there he cant.
Chris Peterson. Wants back in.
Ryan Walters.
Jeff Monken.

Chris Klieman is out. Not interested in moving or in coaching very long.
Not much smoke around Lane. But hes also in season.
LL wants a new job but loves wisconsin.

BoB wants it.
Rhule is being considered.

Right now it sounds like its most likely matt campbell or mickey. Trev really likes mickey. Mickey really has done a good job evaluating everything wrong with the program.

Oh and just to piss everyone off, trev has asked barry alvarez his thoughts.
I will judge each of these options:
Pat Fitzgerald: No I heard that he lost his DC and that was what made him great since then no good seasons

David Shaw: Fans would groan but actually could be a good option. He can only recruit less than like 5% of hs recruits. Considering that and his offense could actually be a good fit. With Mickey as WR coach this could work

Chris Peterson: was a great coach and we should have gotten him back then. Now with burnout and being out of the game and our biggest advantage being NIL I just do not see this working out

Ryan Walters: So we are going to go with a DC who has 2 years at being a good DC and 2018-2020 having okay defense? No thanks.

Jeff Monken: No to the flexbone it is not the fun triple option fans remeber.

BoB: Okay head coach could be a coach that get's nebraska back to Bo Pelini level.

Rhule: Likely a top canditate right now. I actually think he is pretty good. But only has 2 seasons with RBs at 900+ yards. Run the ball guy would be mad.

Matt Cambell: I think he is a good coach? I am not sure with last 2 seaons. But ISU does normally suck. But he is going to bring his DC have fun watching fans meltdown with his 3-3-5 umbrella defense.

Mickey: Basically Nebraska tries something out of left field and get's a hard working recruiting guy who could get Nebraska top 10 classes again. My biggest question mark would be if he could also get very very good developers. I do not want Nebraska to become Texas with top 10 classes but still losing.

Reactions: headcard
I will judge each of these options:
Pat Fitzgerald: No I heard that he lost his DC and that was what made him great since then no good seasons

David Shaw: Fans would groan but actually could be a good option. He can only recruit less than like 5% of hs recruits. Considering that and his offense could actually be a good fit. With Mickey as WR coach this could work

Chris Peterson: was a great coach and we should have gotten him back then. Now with burnout and being out of the game and our biggest advantage being NIL I just do not see this working out

Ryan Walters: So we are going to go with a DC who has 2 years at being a good DC and 2018-2020 having okay defense? No thanks.

Jeff Monken: No to the flexbone it is not the fun triple option fans remeber.

BoB: Okay head coach could be a coach that get's nebraska back to Bo Pelini level.

Rhule: Likely a top canditate right now. I actually think he is pretty good. But only has 2 seasons with RBs at 900+ yards. Run the ball guy would be mad.

Matt Cambell: I think he is a good coach? I am not sure with last 2 seaons. But ISU does normally suck. But he is going to bring his DC have fun watching fans meltdown with his 3-3-5 umbrella defense.

Mickey: Basically Nebraska tries something out of left field and get's a hard working recruiting guy who could get Nebraska top 10 classes again. My biggest question mark would be if he could also get very very good developers. I do not want Nebraska to become Texas with top 10 classes but still losing.
If Mickey Joseph can get us top 10 recruiting classes as head coach, sign him up today. I have faith that he will hire good assistant coaches.

If Mickey Joseph can get us top 10 recruiting classes as head coach, sign him up today. I have faith that he will hire good assistant coaches.
I go back and forth with that. If I could hear his choices for at least OC and DC I would have a much better opinion on him.

Reactions: headcard
Mickey does have a wide network.

I bet he might even be able to pilfer some of Arandas staff.

What did you expect? Nebraska has been killing coaching careers for 25 years now. The delusion is real. Realistic options are - Joseph, Monken, Chadwell, & BoB. Patterson is a retread but would do decent - but decent doesn't satisfy the utter delusion in lincoln. Been saying it from day 1 when his name wasn't even being mentioned - nebraska should be going all in on getting Freeze. He would absolutely kill it there. nebraska isn't getting a single other sitting P5 coach tbey'd like to offer, no decent to good P5 coach is touching that job with a 10' pole to just be run out of town with pitchforks in 2-3 years because nebraska thinks they're something they no longer are and haven't been for 25 years.
Your next coach is one of these guys
Joseph
BoB
Monken
Chadwell
Patterson
Rhule - longshot, doubt he takes if offered. he can do better waiting

If nebraska had any football intelligence left at all - they'd go get Freeze and then stay out of his way and let him do what he does
Don’t you have some pigs to feed Iowegian?

Liberty? Last night?

Per the comment about some wanting to run Tom out. I was one at the time. Tom knew he had to change and he did, he found the formula. Too many think he didn't adapt which would be totally false. Nebraska of the 90's was a far cry from the Ferragamo and Humm days.
Yeah duh. Coastal Carolina. Another senior moment brought to you by Dinglefritz…..🧑‍🦽

Reactions: BleedRed78
You're right. Tom, early, threw it all over the place with the 2 you mentioned and his other QBs.

I think, maybe, the determining factor was NU just could not protect the QB against those OU defenses.

During those games on the radio, I kept hearing the announcer go, "You better hurry Dave.!"

With all due respect, TO never threw the ball all over the place.
In 1973 with David Humm, the offense averaged 21.3 passes and 164 yards per game and 56 rushes and 227 yards per game.
In 1976 with Vince Ferragamo, the offense averaged 23.5 passes and 191 yards per game and 52 rushes and 216 yards per game.
These two years were the most “pass happy” years from 1973 - 1980 and since that time, Nebraska was a very run heavy offense under TO.
Yes, TO adjusted and adapted his offense over the years, but he never “threw it all over the place.”

Reactions: scarletred

Dr Vince married on of my classmates sister

In 1973 with David Humm, the offense averaged 21.3 passes and 164 yards per game and 56 rushes and 227 yards per game.
In 1976 with Vince Ferragamo, the offense averaged 23.5 passes and 191 yards per game and 52 rushes and 216 yards per game.
These two years were the most “pass happy” years from 1973 - 1980 and since that time, Nebraska was a very run heavy offense under TO.
Yes, TO adjusted and adapted his offense over the years, but he never “threw it all over the place.”
My post had to do with the 7 years it took for TO to beat OU. 1972-1978. It didn't start in 1973 and end in 1980.

It's not important to discuss semantics, but I'm not going to consider a different time frame than my post alluded to which fails to include the first year too.

My comment about throwing it all over the place stemmed from Tom's FIRST YEAR 1972 when they threw it 27.7 times per game, which exceeded any other year during that 7-year period as far as pass attempts per game.

During that 1972 season, Humm, Runty, and JR threw it a total of 332 times in 12 games. Humm with 285 attempts and 2,259 yards set NU records, and his 18 TDs set a Big 8 Record.

Compared to '73-'74-'75 and prior to Vince, TO threw the ball more in '72.

So your 1973 with Humm and 1976 with Vince are incorrect.

I know you, scarlet, and I have been around for a while. I don't think any of us are unaware of the direction(s) had taken the program in 25 years.

I think the ad would tell Fitzie to tap the brakes on any talk of raises after this year 😅.
I think you'd be surprised at how NW would go into panic mode should Fitz rumors of leaving seem to have some credibility. One season isn't going to destroy NW's desire to keep him.

Of course you have to factor in how few plays they ran in to that formula of number of passes. It wasnt a crazy number but it was a significant part of the offense. The biggest change was the QB run game

Of course you have to factor in how few plays they ran in to that formula of number of passes. It wasnt a crazy number but it was a significant part of the offense. The biggest change was the QB run game
No, the fact is that TO never threw the ball all over the place as the original poster stated.

Thoughts…some fans are pleading for an established HC to take over Nebraska… Callahan, Riley & Frost we’re all previous HC & went a combined 52-72 …Pelini was a DC with no HC experience & went 67-27..don’t tell me precious HC experience is a must.

Thoughts…some fans are pleading for an established HC to take over Nebraska… Callahan, Riley & Frost we’re all previous HC & went a combined 52-72 …Pelini was a DC with no HC experience & went 67-27..don’t tell me precious HC experience is a must.

None of them were successful P5 coaches, in their prime. We could also try that.

None of them were successful P5 coaches, in their prime. We could also try that.
Doesn't matter bud, they were head coaches and Callahan coached in the Superbowl. They may have lost but were in the SB. Pelini had never been a head coach and had a better record than all 3 of them combined. It doesn't matter if they were successful or not, they were head coaches P5 coaches so Pelini proved you can win coming in with no HC experience.

Doesn't matter bud, they were head coaches and Callahan coached in the Superbowl. They may have lost but were in the SB. Pelini had never been a head coach and had a better record than all 3 of them combined. It doesn't matter if they were successful or not, they were head coaches P5 coaches so Pelini proved you can win coming in with no HC experience.

I think it matters a lot bud.

There is a lot of data out there, outside our small sample, that shows coaches with P5 experience are generally more successful than coaches with just G5 or assistant experience.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
2 years ago I would’ve been beating Fitzgeralds door down to get him. I’m confused what has happened to NW the last 2 years but I most definitely think NW holds him back. He would get us relevant but his ceiling has lowered.

Fitz lost Mike Hankwitz to retirement, that dude was one of the best DC's in the country.

I think it matters a lot bud.

There is a lot of data out there, outside our small sample, that shows coaches with P5 experience are generally more successful than coaches with just G5 or assistant experience.
Callahan and Riley were P5 coaches pal not G5. You can just keep on with your throwing shit up against the wall and hopin it sticks. You lose here.

Callahan and Riley were P5 coaches pal not G5. You can just keep on with your throwing shit up against the wall and hopin it sticks. You lose here.

Callahan had P5 experience 😂😂

What I posted above is a fact.

You are the one grasping at straws, as usual. Coaches with P5 experience do better. This is a fact. And no Callahan did not have P5 head coaching experience. And Riley was far from a successful P5 coach in his prime (which is what I said we should actually try).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigred_b1624
No, the fact is that TO never threw the ball all over the place as the original poster stated.
In 1972, as I said, NU threw the ball 27.7 times per game.

In 1969 under Devaney NU threw the ball 29.5 times per game as they were starting their run to their first national title the next year.

1972 was the year with the MOST passes of any Osborne team thru 1997.

The 27.7 times per game were MORE than any Frank Solich team.

It took until 2004 when Callahan became HC that NU threw more than Tom's first year in 1972.

So, from Tom's first year in 1972 until 2004.
That's 33 years. And 3 different coaches.

Minn, with respect, you can have your definition of throwing it around, and I can have my definition.

In 1972, as I said, NU threw the ball 27.7 times per game.

In 1969 under Devaney NU threw the ball 29.5 times per game as they were starting their run to their first national title the next year.

1972 was the year with the MOST passes of any Osborne team thru 1997.

The 27.7 times per game were MORE than any Frank Solich team.

It took until 2004 when Callahan became HC that NU threw more than Tom's first year in 1972.

So, from Tom's first year in 1972 until 2004.
That's 33 years. And 3 different coaches.

Minn, with respect, you can have your definition of throwing it around, and I can have my definition.
I don’t know what you are talking about. TO’s first year as head coach was 1973.
What do Frank Solich and Callahan have to do with this discussion?
Your original post stated that TO threw the ball all over the place especially during the Humm and Ferragamo years and that is not accurate. Nebraska ran the ball at least 2/3 of the time during the years 1973 - 1978 and then with Jeff Quinn at quarterback, Nebraska became a very heavy rushing team.

Reactions: 1NebrFan
If anything reminds me of a Mike Riley hire, it's David Shaw or Pat Fitzgerald. Unfortunately these were probably more realistic options than people think.

Shaw isn't a program builder & when the losing starts he has no idea how to fix it. When he took over Stanford most of the staff remained, virtually no one went with Harbaugh, he lost or didn't retain a couple coaches, but most were still in place.

They were still winning, but for whatever reason over the years he couldn't retain staff and gradually replaced them with mostly bad hires or from within, like position coaches became coordinators or GA's became position coaches. By 2019 he didn't have a very good staff & the wheels came off. He hasn't been able to put them back on. He's the opposite of what NU needs.

Minn1954 is right......it's funny how we sometimes remember things incorrectly. Until I looked at the game of the century replay again, I had forgot that JR'S punt return happened in the first few minutes and put us up 7-0....I could have sworn it was much later in the game :)

Last edited:
Shaw isn't a program builder & when the losing starts he has no idea how to fix it. When he took over Stanford most of the staff remained, virtually no one went with Harbaugh, he lost or didn't retain a couple coaches, but most were still in place.

They were still winning, but for whatever reason over the years he couldn't retain staff and gradually replaced them with mostly bad hires or from within, like position coaches became coordinators or GA's became position coaches. By 2019 he didn't have a very good staff & the wheels came off. He hasn't been able to put them back on. He's the opposite of what NU needs.
I think one of the issues for Shaw might have been the pay scale for assistants versus the area cost of living.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT