ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorse names

One reason for that is the above didnt all happen at once….it was a discussion with someone sharing months worth of info. As I shared above, trev has tightened his lips and closed his doors.

Its a source. I cant share who.

If that means people dont believe it, fine, I dont blame them, nor do I care.
Just thought Id pass it along here. I have no reason to make this up.
Things change. Early on they were clearly intrigued by Campbell and Rhule still had a job in the NFL. Campbell has fallen apart and now Rhule is available.

Pass on Fitz, unless hankowitz comes out of retirement with him.

If we hire Shaw, it would be riley 2.0, maybe worse. I would be despondent for months.

Monken is a good coach, but his recruiting would scare me.

Peterson......sure, if he wants it.

Campbell....nah.

Mickey....great story, but I think we have to set our sights higher on a proven coach.

Bob and rhule....we could do worse.
The thing with Monken is that he has amazing connections in the midwest and the south but he would not run the offense that he runs at Army, so it is sort of like, why bring him then?

Reactions: Truewooper
More than likely IF there is any truth to the Fitz stuff, it's likely a planted rumor so his agent can get him a fat raise from NW. No doubt NW can be played just like Ferentz and his agent have played Iowa for years.
I think the ad would tell Fitzie to tap the brakes on any talk of raises after this year 😅.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Jamey Chadwell - Love his new age option, but he would need to bring a new staff for the most part unlike what Frost did.

Mack Brown - He is the same age as Saban but I get him being 71 isn't ideal. Currently 7-1 at North Carolina. I remember when people said any coach can win at Texas...well apparently not.

Dino Babers - Turned around E Illinois and Bowling Green. Syracuse is a tough place to win and he has had some shaky years but overall doing a good job.

Hugh Freeze - Has a troubled past but also has done incredible at Liberty (currently 7-1). Did well at Ole Miss though was cheating.

PJ Fleck - Only coach to have a 10+ win season at W Michigan (13-1). I think he has done a good job at Minnesota for the most part. Good run game and defense looks better recently. Has 11 win season and won 9 games last year. More than likely finishes with 8 or 9 wins this year.

That would be hilarious! They’d be like “Fitz, you only won one game this year?” And Fitz says “I beat Nebraska!” And NW fans “Yay! We beat Nebraska, Fitz is the BEST!” And they give him the raise.
Before the season I said NW would be lucky to win 3 games...and would be lucky in the future to have 4-5 win seasons. That team is done.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Jamey Chadwell - Love his new age option, but he would need to bring a new staff for the most part unlike what Frost did.

Mack Brown - He is the same age as Saban but I get him being 71 isn't ideal. Currently 7-1 at North Carolina. I remember when people said any coach can win at Texas...well apparently not.

Dino Babers - Turned around E Illinois and Bowling Green. Syracuse is a tough place to win and he has had some shaky years but overall doing a good job.

Hugh Freeze - Has a troubled past but also has done incredible at Liberty (currently 7-1). Did well at Ole Miss though was cheating.

PJ Fleck - Only coach to have a 10+ win season at W Michigan (13-1). I think he has done a good job at Minnesota for the most part. Good run game and defense looks better recently. Has 11 win season and won 9 games last year. More than likely finishes with 8 or 9 wins this year.
More likely names are a couple of guys who we’ve contacted reps for. Doeren and Stoops. I don’t think there is any interest in Fitz, Brown or Freeze.

The thing with Monken is that he has amazing connections in the midwest and the south but he would not run the offense that he runs at Army, so it is sort of like, why bring him then?
Physical football, and might retain some triple option but oriented more within passing attach. Who knows.

Would love to see Mickey retained in that situation though for sure.

More likely names are a couple of guys who we’ve contacted reps for. Doeren and Stoops. I don’t think there is any interest in Fitz, Brown or Freeze.
Doeren and Stoops have losing records in their conference...people knock on other candidates. Neither of those get me excited.

Physical football, and might retain some triple option but oriented more within passing attach. Who knows.

Would love to see Mickey retained in that situation though for sure.
It was interesting to watch coastal Carolina run old school option some last night. Was their coach courting Trev with that? We could do worse for sure. I think the fan base could get behind hiring that guy

Last edited:
Doeren would be laughable. The ACC is terrible and they always lose dumb games. Their fans are tired of him as well. Last night at my daughters soccer game had multiple comments about they hope Doeren leaves for Nebraska because they want him out.

Stoops has been at Kentucky since 2013. People act like he is fresh there. 31-48 in conferences games.
He struggled early on for sure. It’s kind of the theory of hiring people after they’ve made their mistakes somewhere else. I doubt we’ll hire Stoops. He has a big buyout and as you say his overall record hasn’t been outstanding.

Tom wasn't lucking out to beat East Carolina, he was losing to Oklahoma.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but there’s a lot more parity of talent now than there was when Tom took over NU. Scholarship limits and TV time have dramatically improved the rosters of G5 teams

I seem to recall Tom getting beat by an awful Iowa State team Tommie Frazier’s freshman year

Would rather have a young guy like Chadwell than an older burned out guy. JMO
I get that but he is the most proven candidate out there who is realistic. I also think with the shift of the B10 adding USC and UCLA this only helps Nebraska. CP is also from Cali and has many connections. He would get us back to playing good sound football which is needed in the B10 West. Keep Mickey and we take off.

Im down to Bob or Lane as my picks. If its matt campbell i will officially not give a $hit about husker football.
I think it almost has to be a proven P5 guy if you’re going to pass over MJ. BOB, Rhule or Stoops maybe. My money would be on Rhule. Way too much smoke about him since a few weeks before the Panthers let him go.

It might be where this ends up. Is Trev an analytics fan? The analytics might very well be that you get more wins for your money from MJ.
Hiring Mickey would REALLY depend on who he'd bring in as assistants. We really should purge most of the staff except maybe Busch, Applewhite, and perhaps Beckton.

I just wonder if Mickey truly has that network built up enough to tap into?

Reactions: HuskerLegion
Hiring Mickey would REALLY depend on who he'd bring in as assistants. We really should purge most of the staff except maybe Busch, Applewhite, and perhaps Beckton.

I just wonder if Mickey truly has that network built up enough to tap into?
I don’t think his staff would be any issue. OC would concern me a little Hopefully it wouldn’t be Brady

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but there’s a lot more parity of talent now than there was when Tom took over NU. Scholarship limits and TV time have dramatically improved the rosters of G5 teams

I seem to recall Tom getting beat by an awful Iowa State team Tommie Frazier’s freshman year.
I agree on the parity, but you cherry picked one time. I live in Raleigh and this happens a lot. They are an ok team, but probably look better because they play in the ACC. NC State is not someone we should strive to be.

Pass on Fitz, unless hankowitz comes out of retirement with him.

If we hire Shaw, it would be riley 2.0, maybe worse. I would be despondent for months.

Monken is a good coach, but his recruiting would scare me.

Peterson......sure, if he wants it.

Campbell....nah.

Mickey....great story, but I think we have to set our sights higher on a proven coach.

Bob and rhule....we could do worse.
Wow, you nailed it! Nice evaluation, you need to be on the search committee.

Reactions: cubsker
All horrible options

Just keep mickey at that rate
What did you expect? Nebraska has been killing coaching careers for 25 years now. The delusion is real. Realistic options are - Joseph, Monken, Chadwell, & BoB. Patterson is a retread but would do decent - but decent doesn't satisfy the utter delusion in lincoln. Been saying it from day 1 when his name wasn't even being mentioned - nebraska should be going all in on getting Freeze. He would absolutely kill it there. nebraska isn't getting a single other sitting P5 coach tbey'd like to offer, no decent to good P5 coach is touching that job with a 10' pole to just be run out of town with pitchforks in 2-3 years because nebraska thinks they're something they no longer are and haven't been for 25 years.
Your next coach is one of these guys
Joseph
BoB
Monken
Chadwell
Patterson
Rhule - longshot, doubt he takes if offered. he can do better waiting

If nebraska had any football intelligence left at all - they'd go get Freeze and then stay out of his way and let him do what he does

Last edited:
Reactions: salsa red

I seem to recall Tom getting beat by an awful Iowa State team Tommie Frazier’s freshman year
The only team Tom ever lost to that finished with a losing record.

It was interesting to watch Liberty run old school option some last night. Was their coach courting Trev with that? We could do worse for sure. I think the fan base could get behind hiring that guy
Liberty? Last night?

Per the comment about some wanting to run Tom out. I was one at the time. Tom knew he had to change and he did, he found the formula. Too many think he didn't adapt which would be totally false. Nebraska of the 90's was a far cry from the Ferragamo and Humm days.

I think it almost has to be a proven P5 guy if you’re going to pass over MJ. BOB, Rhule or Stoops maybe. My money would be on Rhule. Way too much smoke about him since a few weeks before the Panthers let him go.
I'm good with this but if Rhule is N, why not announce him already rather than take a chance MJ goes on a run (odds slim but possible)?

ADVERTISEMENT