ADVERTISEMENT

Darkhorse names

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
Heard some interesting things regarding some coaches trev has talked to or wants to talk to over the past month that have displayed some interest. I was very surprised by the first two, but apparently they are considering leaving for the right job. Take it or leave it, just sharing.

Pat Fitzgerald. He loves Nebraska’s history and facilities.
David Shaw. Feels Stanford is holding him back. Apparently Jim got away with some things there he cant.
Chris Peterson. Wants back in.
Ryan Walters.
Jeff Monken.

Chris Klieman is out. Not interested in moving or in coaching very long.
Not much smoke around Lane. But hes also in season.
LL wants a new job but loves wisconsin.

BoB wants it.
Rhule is being considered.

Right now it sounds like its most likely matt campbell or mickey. Trev really likes mickey. Mickey really has done a good job evaluating everything wrong with the program.

Oh and just to piss everyone off, trev has asked barry alvarez his thoughts.

Petersen wants to coach again and BOB wants this job and we are most likely going to hire Campbell or Mickey???
I have no idea if peterson wants to coach HERE.
The biggest concern with him is that hes been out of the game and he hates recruiting.

For Bob, I dont think hes that good of a coach, either. His resume is no more impressive than campbells. Campbell has a NY6 win, conference title, top ten rankings, etc.
Im not huge on campbell but iowa state is more difficult than penn state or alabama, where bob is failing.

Pass on Fitz, unless hankowitz comes out of retirement with him.

If we hire Shaw, it would be riley 2.0, maybe worse. I would be despondent for months.

Monken is a good coach, but his recruiting would scare me.

Peterson......sure, if he wants it.

Campbell....nah.

Mickey....great story, but I think we have to set our sights higher on a proven coach.

Bob and rhule....we could do worse.

If we hire Shaw, it would be riley 2.0, maybe worse. I would be despondent for months.

Campbell....nah.

Mickey....great story, but I think we have to set our sights higher on a proven coach.

Yep

Reactions: FissionReaction

Campbell....nah.

Shaw name drop surprised me and I couldnt believe it….but I would take him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: FissionReaction
Heard some interesting things regarding some coaches trev has talked to or wants to talk to over the past month that have displayed some interest. I was very surprised by the first two, but apparently they are considering leaving for the right job. Take it or leave it, just sharing.

David Shaw. Feels Stanford is holding him back. Apparently Jim got away with some things there he cant.
Ryan Walters.
Jeff Monken.

BoB wants it.

Right now it sounds like its most likely matt campbell or mickey. Trev really likes mickey. Mickey really has done a good job evaluating everything wrong with the program.

What if Benedict Alvarez recommend smiling mike again?
(Sorry, couldn't resist).

The football scoop article said they were vetting a sitting power 5 coach. Also mentioned the big 10 but none of the names were big ten. So that tells me a Big 10 coach is being vetted. Just gonna throw out a name, no idea If either party is interested but what about Brohm?

BOB would be a good hire if it doesn't go to MJ.

Lane might be a good hire if BOB doesn't get offered.

Fitz would be stupid to leave NW.
Bob is the worst name on that list. It worries me he is interested. Fitz is overrated to me. Good developer of talent, yes, but poor gameday decision maker.
He’s 14-24 the last 4 seasons and he makes $9M/yr.
Stanford is hard to win at, especially since they tightened the qualification standards for the football team under shaw.

The football scoop article said they were vetting a sitting power 5 coach. Also mentioned the big 10 but none of the names were big ten. So that tells me a Big 10 coach is being vetted. Just gonna throw out a name, no idea If either party is interested but what about Brohm?
Didnt see the article.

Fitz is big ten.

Kevin wilson is another dark horse name, and he currently works in the big ten.

Bob is the worst name on that list. It worries me he is interested. Fitz is overrated to me. Good developer of talent, yes, but poor gameday decision maker.

Stanford is hard to win at, especially since they tightened the qualification standards for the football team under shaw.
I was impressed with how Bill O'Brien handled the s*show up at Penn State. He could handle the pressure here, and I'm certain he would bring a good staff.

Some of the other names, I don't believe can handle the pressure here. Certainly not Rhule.

Fitz would fit in at Nebraksa, but he has a long term gig going at NW, and I just think you milk that for the next 20 years.

Another thing that is being said is that trev is leaving no stone unturned and has really locked down access to this search. He wants secrecy as he gets closer. A lot of names have been floated but that is because trev has been active.

A name never mentioned is prime. I am disappoint.

Reactions: Clevinger
Didnt see the article.

Fitz is big ten.

Kevin wilson is another dark horse name, and he currently works in the big ten.
Wilson has always been a good QB coach and OC. His record at Indiana as a HC was bad.

If he's the guy, I'm thinking 12 other guys said no, or Benedict Alvarez used his Jedi mind control on a Husker AD again.

Wilson has always been a good QB coach and OC. His record at Indiana as a HC was bad.

If he's the guy, I'm thinking 12 other guys said no, or Benedict Alvarez used his Jedi mind control on a Husker AD again.
In fairness, I have no idea the depth of the discussion. Trev is getting other peoples thoughts on what we need. For instance, the discussion with urban when he was in Lincoln was real. Trev picked his brain. (However urban isnt interested.)

McKeweon writes an article tonight that mentions that basically this search is dead silent and no one knows anything. Where are you hearing all of this?
One reason for that is the above didnt all happen at once….it was a discussion with someone sharing months worth of info. As I shared above, trev has tightened his lips and closed his doors.

Its a source. I cant share who.

If that means people dont believe it, fine, I dont blame them, nor do I care.
Just thought Id pass it along here. I have no reason to make this up.

Ryan Walters.
Jeff Monken.

BoB wants it.

2 years ago I would’ve been beating Fitzgeralds door down to get him. I’m confused what has happened to NW the last 2 years but I most definitely think NW holds him back. He would get us relevant but his ceiling has lowered.

One reason for that is the above didnt all happen at once….it was a discussion with someone sharing months worth of info. As I shared above, trev has tightened his lips and closed his doors.

Its a source. I cant share who.

If that means people dont believe it, fine, I dont blame them, nor do I care.
Just thought Id pass it along here. I have no reason to make this up.
Saying it is most likely MC or MJ at this point completely discredits your source, in every way.

Saying it is most likely MC or MJ at this point completely discredits your source, in every way.
Ok, you could be right. I trust this source but you never know.

One issue, as discussed above, is that trev is keeping things locked down.

I said him earlier

I personally don't believe any of the speculative articles/reports but I'm still happy to read them any way just for entertainment purposes. I doubt anyone has been decided yet but I'm sure there have been a lot of investigative discussions with multiple possibilities. If those investigative discussions haven't taken place, then Trev isn't doing his job.

Technically, that could be Mickey.

Reactions: leodisflowers
2 years ago I would’ve been beating Fitzgeralds door down to get him. I’m confused what has happened to NW the last 2 years but I most definitely think NW holds him back. He would get us relevant but his ceiling has lowered.
Has coached NW for 17 years. 9 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons, 1 even.

He turns that program around every other year or so.

He seems to be really happy at NW.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Has coached NW for 17 years. 9 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons, 1 even.

He turns that program around every other year or so.

He seems to be really happy at NW.
More than likely IF there is any truth to the Fitz stuff, it's likely a planted rumor so his agent can get him a fat raise from NW. No doubt NW can be played just like Ferentz and his agent have played Iowa for years.

More than likely IF there is any truth to the Fitz stuff, it's likely a planted rumor so his agent can get him a fat raise from NW. No doubt NW can be played just like Ferentz and his agent have played Iowa for years.
That would be hilarious! They’d be like “Fitz, you only won one game this year?” And Fitz says “I beat Nebraska!” And NW fans “Yay! We beat Nebraska, Fitz is the BEST!” And they give him the raise.

ADVERTISEMENT