ADVERTISEMENT

Darien Chase

Ethers reason is comfort and knowing the system, once this O and D don't think but react speed will be seen. Washington is prime example. He is now confident and the O is coming quick. D is not far behind, have seen much better instincts.

Reactions: huskerfan66
GTFO. If you’re not happy with a composite 4 star recruit, then that tells me a lot about you. And, you’re also focused on a 40 yard time, that was probably a laser time. And, laser 40 times are all about your starting technique. There can be as much as a .2 second difference if you’re not coached correctly on it.

GTFO yourself.. His 100 time is sloooow, and his 40 time is slow. If you can show me the article that says it was laser timing, then I'll buy in, but you won't be able to, because an 11.76 doesn't generally equate to a laser-timed 4.74.

Ethers reason is comfort and knowing the system, once this O and D don't think but react speed will be seen. Washington is prime example. He is now confident and the O is coming quick. D is not far behind, have seen much better instincts.
Our D needs to figure out the post routes over the middle, everything else seems to be coming along. Oh yeah, a punt return now and then would be nice.

Yep, he's pretty much an all-around dolt...

Oh give it a rest already. Who is the only person in this forum to have our RB depth pegged exactly before it came out at the start of the year? You're GD right...it was me!

Everyone thought Ozigbo was going to be way down the depth chart, and I knew better. He was light years ahead of Bryant, Wilbon, and Bradley.

Well Hoosker also thought Greg Bell was super fast and Maurice Washington was nothing special.

I can't help you if you don't know the difference between quick and fast. I never said Bell was fast, but Frost did. But Greg Bell was very quick through the hole, just like our starting RB DO. And he had good vision. He would have played a ton here too.

I said that Bell was a better back than Washington, which he is/was when he was here. Washington was too slow getting through the hole earlier in the season, and sometimes still is, but he has improved. Washington has proven to be very fast in the open field. I said Washington didn't look very impressive early in the year, which he didn't, but has improved quite a bit in a short time. I still don't think his vision is fantastic in close quarters. He struggles a little to find the holes on inside runs.

GTFO. If you’re not happy with a composite 4 star recruit, then that tells me a lot about you. And, you’re also focused on a 40 yard time, that was probably a laser time. And, laser 40 times are all about your starting technique. There can be as much as a .2 second difference if you’re not coached correctly on it.

Ok, I'd like to learn more about this, also his 100 m time isn't great. Kid looks like a HS version of Jerry Rice, smooth route runner that can get separation with incredible hands and focus. Oz did get faster by a lot.

I can't help you if you don't know the difference between quick and fast. I never said Bell was fast, but Frost did. But Greg Bell was very quick through the hole, just like our starting RB DO. And he had good vision. He would have played a ton here too.

I said that Bell was a better back than Washington, which he is/was when he was here. Washington was too slow getting through the hole earlier in the season, and sometimes still is, but he has improved. Washington has proven to be very fast in the open field. I said Washington didn't look very impressive early in the year, which he didn't, but has improved quite a bit in a short time. I still don't think his vision is fantastic in close quarters. He struggles a little to find the holes on inside runs.
I also think Washington is a little over-hyped. Him making dozens of spectacular plays in Fall camp I think says a lot more about our defense than it does Washington. A true freshman should never come in and start making your defense look silly unless he's a Heisman caliber athlete.

Washington was very hesitant to start the year and still plays a little hesitant. You can tell he has good vision from his hs film though. He just has to get used to the college game. I think a redshirt year would have benefited him greatly, but unfortunately our rb room wasn't good enough to allow that to happen. He still goes down quite easily and awkwardly a lot of times, and he's still probably playing underweight. He's done a good job as a true freshman, but I can't wait to see him play when he adds a little weight and strength and catches up to the speed of the college game and plays without hesitation.

I thought he looked faster on the field than his times suggest. Maybe Frost thinks so too...?

Chase's 40 time was at a Sparq event which tells you that it was electronic, but I've seen some big variances by event in the times, so it's not terribly consistent, but if it's a typical accurate electronic test, that is a reasonably good number when seen in the context of his other numbers.

A quick comparison is Luke McCaffrey.
Chase is 6-1, 185, McCaffrey is 6-2, 183

40 times
4.74 vs 4.64
shuttle
4.31 vs. 4.27
vertical
34.3 vs 30.7

McCaffrey might be a bit faster, but their shuttle times are roughly equivalent, while Chase's vertical is better. Both have good size and length for receivers and their functional speed is more than adequate.

Seeing a guy on the field makes a difference. Chase plays fast and is \the fastest guy on the field in most of the clips I've seen.

I don’t ever put much stock in Rivals 40 times. Some kids have electronic times from camps when they were younger, etc. Last year people were concerned because Miles Jones profile showed a slow 40 time and he was one of the best sprinters in America. Also a lot of handwringing over Martinez 40 time in his profile and it turned out that was from a camp the summer after his freshman year of HS. On the other hand some guys self report 40 times that are way too fast. We’ve had so many guys with 4.4’s listed in their profiles that turned out to be slow.

I also think Washington is a little over-hyped. Him making dozens of spectacular plays in Fall camp I think says a lot more about our defense than it does Washington. A true freshman should never come in and start making your defense look silly unless he's a Heisman caliber athlete.

Washington was very hesitant to start the year and still plays a little hesitant. You can tell he has good vision from his hs film though. He just has to get used to the college game. I think a redshirt year would have benefited him greatly, but unfortunately our rb room wasn't good enough to allow that to happen. He still goes down quite easily and awkwardly a lot of times, and he's still probably playing underweight. He's done a good job as a true freshman, but I can't wait to see him play when he adds a little weight and strength and catches up to the speed of the college game and plays without hesitation.
So far this year he has run for 5.6/carry.

Reactions: headcard
Kid can stretch.

It's a stretch. Needs to settle into routes, and be a red zone target.

Frost wants to hit windows and move the ball downfield in the passing game. That's for damn sure. Guys like this can catch balls in a zone or settle into routes...if he's good enough

So far this year he has run for 5.6/carry.
I was pouring on the hype when he got here too. If all the coaches say you're special when you're a true freshman who just got here, you're probably a special player. But I also didn't realize how bad our defense was going to be this year.

I still think he needed a redshirt year. He'll be that much better by the time he's an upperclassman.

I don’t ever put much stock in Rivals 40 times. Some kids have electronic times from camps when they were younger, etc. Last year people were concerned because Miles Jones profile showed a slow 40 time and he was one of the best sprinters in America. Also a lot of handwringing over Martinez 40 time in his profile and it turned out that was from a camp the summer after his freshman year of HS. On the other hand some guys self report 40 times that are way too fast. We’ve had so many guys with 4.4’s listed in their profiles that turned out to be slow.
Roy Helu's posted 40 time was in the 4.7s on Rivals when Callahan recruited him. I would say he was plenty fast.

For a receiver, change of direction and change of speed is more important than how fast you run the 100m dash. You don't run too many straight fly patterns.

For this offense, it's also about being able to make defenders miss in space. We throw a lot of short passes where you need to be able to break tackles.

Reactions: HuskerWisdom

What?

Sparq times are usually a good 40 time
Roy Helu's posted 40 time was in the 4.7s on Rivals when Callahan recruited him. I would say he was plenty fast.

And when he left he was running in the high 4.4's

ADVERTISEMENT