ADVERTISEMENT

Dantonio Out at MSU

Just saw that. Not good timing, if they have more in their signing class waiting to sign until tomorrow.

No kidding. What a bummer for those kids, not just for tomorrow but for the kids who signed in December, too. Not to mention he was given a $4.3 million bonus as MSU coach after Jan. 15 this year.

Man, I don't see them getting any top level coach. Probably going to have to dig into the G5 ranks. Heupel I could see happening? I don't see them getting much better than that.

Man, I don't see them getting any top level coach. Probably going to have to dig into the G5 ranks. Heupel I could see happening? I don't see them getting much better than that.
The only reason they might not get a top level coach is due to the bad timing. Otherwise they can afford to compete with anybody.

One option if timing turns out to be the big issue is to appoint an interim. Better to do that than settle for someone who might not be a top tier choice.

It may not get released for awhile, but there has been a bunch of rumblings about wrong doing at MSU. With all of their other high profile sex scandal stuff, it is probably better to do it now.

solid coach -- took over a 4-8 team

only missed a bowl game once
5 - 11+ win seasons in 13 years
3 big ten championships
2 top 5 finishes and a CFP birth

Losing Dantonio is a huge hit and, just as big, I don't know if they can pull a guy like Fickell or Narduzzi if there are impending sanctions...I could see them getting a different coach on the 2020 schedule, though: Jim McElwain.

they are going to have legal issues coming up and the HC RETIRED, RESIGNED, QUIT whatever you call it, all thi shit will be on his head.

agreed, he deserved the $4.3 million for his accomplishments at MSU. Disclaimer-I don't know what is in the closet so I reserve the right to change my opinion later :Cool:

Reactions: timnsun
I will freely admit I would have waited until I got the 4.3mil before I left to...as would every single other person who has the balls to say otherwise.

It was the compensation package that was negotiated. People choose their retirement dates based on milestones in their salary or retirement benefits all the time. I need to remain at my employer six more months so that my "top five salary years" computation makes a big jump. I might quit right after that, but no matter how much I hate my job I am going to stick around for it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I get what you are both saying...but I think all of us (I am comfortable with saying that) would have done what we could to make sure we got the 4.3 million.

I wasn't talking about his bonus I'm talking about the underlying reasons for his sudden retirement

Last edited:
On Steve Deace's Big Ten & Michigan podcasts, he indicated it was likely Dantonio would retire after the bowl game based on the fact when he shuffled his assistant coaches instead of firing/hiring any new ones going into the 2019 season. The idea was he old retire before the deposition, but with bonus Dantonio may have decided to wait a few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT