ADVERTISEMENT

Dang, Ty Robinson

I can't help but think this year is different, we're finally starting to at least look overwhelming off the field.

Another piece of equipment borrowed from the volleyball team. May the winning results follow. Winking

5da1355ab8948.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tpmcg
Does this not seem brutal on the lower vertebrae? He could tear off your arm and hand it back to you in one fell swoop.

While this is cool and honestly something I'd like to try, As a guy who has ripped off his bicep muscle it also makes me cringe thinking about that pain all over again! LOL!

Far cry from me doing a couple sets of pretty easy weight in my basement and being like, "Ehhhhh that's good enough."

I used to go to the rec at night in Lincoln and a lot of times I'd see Rigoni there, he would be lifting again on his own after he had already done all his team stuff. He lived on my floor, too. Definitely file him under 5'6 dudes none of us were going to mess with.

Glad to see the strength for sure, what our team needs is the experience to go with it. Ty Robinson, believe it or not, is a redshirt freshman. So while he's physically ready, there is still a ton of film and practice reps between him and the peak crossover of his physical and mental abilities.

Especially on o-line, we need guys to have the knowledge and confidence to go deliver that power in the time and place it needs to be. You can lift a mountain, but if you don't get your man on time, you're blocking nothing.

I'm fascinated by this weight machine, and trying to deduce the exact purpose of the movement. I think it's so you can pull start a 250hp Evinrude. Ty looks ready.
It is strictly for pulling your John Deere back to the barn to fix an issue....not because you have a service truck that can help in the field, but because you can pull it back to the barn because you're Ty Robinson #Nebraskastrong

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
I'm fascinated by this weight machine, and trying to deduce the exact purpose of the movement. I think it's so you can pull start a 250hp Evinrude. Ty looks ready.
The one that jumps to mind for me is the ability to turn a guy one you get your hands on him, especially as an OL. You strike that chest plate of the pads and then rip them one way or the other. Would be useful for shedding blocks as a DL as well. Strike, extend, rip, go make a play.

A machine like this forces you to use two antagonistic muscle groups at the same time, it's a more complex movement and you have to learn how to not just move one side forward, but the other backward with equal force.

Reactions: HominidHusker
The one that jumps to mind for me is the ability to turn a guy one you get your hands on him, especially as an OL. You strike that chest plate of the pads and then rip them one way or the other. Would be useful for shedding blocks as a DL as well. Strike, extend, rip, go make a play.

A machine like this forces you to use two antagonistic muscle groups at the same time, it's a more complex movement and you have to learn how to not just move one side forward, but the other backward with equal force.

One of the schools I taught at had two jammer machines, similar to this but both arms only go up or out...You should have seen the different (and amazingly useless) other things that kids could find to do with those things...we used to sit there cracking up watching them.

If this machine was in a HS weight room...all you would need to do is set up a camera and let it run for about a week. Then post the video on youtube and the internet might break.

Reactions: Cornicator
One of the schools I taught at had two jammer machines, similar to this but both arms only go up or out...You should have seen the different (and amazingly useless) other things that kids could find to do with those things...we used to sit there cracking up watching them.

If this machine was in a HS weight room...all you would need to do is set up a camera and let it run for about a week. Then post the video on youtube and the internet might break.
I do enjoy a good video of idiots making themselves pass out while trying to get a video of lifting more weight than they can handle. The most special are the dudes who put plates for days on a hip sled and then climb underneath it. What could go wrong?

Reactions: JohnRossEwing

If I had to guess:

1. CNS stimulation (think high intensity, explosive movements)
2. core work
3. loose analogue to technique that TheBeav mentions above

Reactions: mgbreis
i tried pull starting a 75hp evenrude for 4 hours one time floating down the neosho river surrounded by water mocasins. never did get the dirty sob started

Reactions: mgbreis

I'll be interested to see how the OL develops in particular this year. On the whole I'm not expecting much across position groups based on the supposed new guidelines being written by the power five but no group will be more impacted by isolated and spread out practice regimen than the OL.

Far cry from me doing a couple sets of pretty easy weight in my basement and being like, "Ehhhhh that's good enough."

I used to go to the rec at night in Lincoln and a lot of times I'd see Rigoni there, he would be lifting again on his own after he had already done all his team stuff. He lived on my floor, too. Definitely file him under 5'6 dudes none of us were going to mess with.

Glad to see the strength for sure, what our team needs is the experience to go with it. Ty Robinson, believe it or not, is a redshirt freshman. So while he's physically ready, there is still a ton of film and practice reps between him and the peak crossover of his physical and mental abilities.

Especially on o-line, we need guys to have the knowledge and confidence to go deliver that power in the time and place it needs to be. You can lift a mountain, but if you don't get your man on time, you're blocking nothing.

Brandon Rigoni was great:

• 2006 Nebraska Lifter of the Year
  • Two-Time First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2004, 2005)
  • 2004 Nebraska Special Teams Most Valuable Player
  • Nebraska's Most Improved Special Teams Player (Spring, 2004)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)”

... and voted a team captain in 2006.

Brandon Rigoni was great:

• 2006 Nebraska Lifter of the Year
  • Two-Time First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2004, 2005)
  • 2004 Nebraska Special Teams Most Valuable Player
  • Nebraska's Most Improved Special Teams Player (Spring, 2004)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
  • Four-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)”

... and voted a team captain in 2006.

Brandon Rigoni is still one of my all time favorite Huskers. I loved watching him on special teams. Just a little muscle hamster with no regard for his body.

My roommate and me would always yell, ‘Rigoniiiiiii’ every kickoff/pint because he was always the first one down the field and just giving it everything he had.

Brandon Rigoni is still one of my all time favorite Huskers. I loved watching him on special teams. Just a little muscle hamster with no regard for his body.

My roommate and me would always yell, ‘Rigoniiiiiii’ every kickoff/pint because he was always the first one down the field and just giving it everything he had.

It reminded me of missing Isaiah Stalbird. Different body types, but Isaiah was making a name for himself on special teams and in line to be in the mix at safety. It’s too bad for us he wanted to pursue his career elsewhere.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
While this is cool and honestly something I'd like to try, As a guy who has ripped off his bicep muscle it also makes me cringe thinking about that pain all over again! LOL!
I see it as a good exercise for a Dt/DE, I don’t see it as a strength training exercise. That said I want his upper body.

ADVERTISEMENT