ADVERTISEMENT

dang, no college football this fall

Oct 12, 2016
Hopefully, the NCCA doesn't have power over the BIG and other power 5 conferences.

See link in below post

Last edited:
i-aint-touching-it.jpg

The B1G is unlikely to receive advice substantially different than what the NCAA advisory panel put forth.

Nebraska's season depends pretty much on Warren wanting to buck the panels.
the panel didn't advise against sports, so Warren won't buck anything, at least as of today, by moving forward with a season using guidelines put forth.

in fact, the panel specifically gave guidelines for contact sports like football.

they're very similar to what the pro sports leagues are doing with their athletes.

the panel didn't advise against sports, so Warren won't buck anything, at least as of today, by moving forward with a season using guidelines put forth.

in fact, the panel specifically gave guidelines for contact sports like football.

they're very similar to what the pro sports leagues are doing with their athletes.

They never outright said there can't be sports true....but what was said was onerous.

“This document lays out the advice of health care professionals as to how to resume college sports if we can achieve an environment where COVID-19 rates are manageable. Today, sadly, the data point in the wrong direction. If there is to be college sports in the fall, we need to get a much better handle on the pandemic.”

That specifically is the red line I'm referencing vis a vis the assessment Warren will likely get and thus have to buck if he wants to change the direction of the season.

I would have been much happier if they would have said something along the lines of "hey sports are happening and here's how" but they didn't.

This is "hope and change" with a plan after it.

Hopefully, the NCCA doesn't have power over the BIG and other power 5 conferences.

See link in below post
The NCAA does not and will not make the decision on whether football is played this or any fall. It sets parameters (through votes of the member schools) for those institutions that choose to play football -- scholarship and practice limits, rules of the game, etc. The NCAA has also published a set of guidelines for returning to play, but those guidelines are not mandatory and no institution is obligated to follow them. The schools themselves (usually through their conferences) will make/have made the decisions on whether to play this fall.

The NCAA does not and will not make the decision on whether football is played this or any fall. It sets parameters (through votes of the member schools) for those institutions that choose to play football -- scholarship and practice limits, rules of the game, etc. The NCAA has also published a set of guidelines for returning to play, but those guidelines are not mandatory and no institution is obligated to follow them. The schools themselves (usually through their conferences) will make/have made the decisions on whether to play this fall.

Excellent news!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Georgia Gov Kemp doubling down on the no masks, no football thing in his PC this morning.

Yah they don't directly control anything but this is an outlet for them to influence public opinion and the general discourse about the situation. If need be, this document also provides some top cover to the Commish should he decide to forgo.

The prospect CFB is facing right now is that it may shut itself down before the local Govts tell them to. It seems most want to make a call in the next 14 days based on the numbers writ large and their conference medical panels, but I don't suspect most Governors will have given fall guidance by then about lockdowns and what not.

If Vegas took odds on college football season happening this Fall, I would be all in on No F’n Way. Hopefully the Spring option will then occur.

I realize likely draft picks will probably decline to play a Spring schedule, but fortunately we aren’t a top notch program like The OSU who may have to suit up their cheerleaders. Who would have guessed there are advantages to being a 4-8/5-7 cellar dweller.

Yah they don't directly control anything but this is an outlet for them to influence public opinion and the general discourse about the situation. If need be, this document also provides some top cover to the Commish should he decide to forgo.

The prospect CFB is facing right now is that it may shut itself down before the local Govts tell them to. It seems most want to make a call in the next 14 days based on the numbers writ large and their conference medical panels, but I don't suspect most Governors will have given fall guidance by then about lockdowns and what not.
if their 'influence' this time trends in the direction of player safety, it will be a first in their infamous history of handing down directives

hopefully, but doubtful because every leader is spineless and in never-ending fear of the social media mob, the conferences keep the ncaa at the kids' table where they belong and make their own decision

Technically, the NCAA has no powers over any school. It is a voluntary organization that schools promise to abide by. Kind of like a collective bargain agreement. This why I believe in about 5-10 years you will see the Power 5 Conferences make their own Association and stop the money bleed to the smaller D-1 schools.

Yah which is why some of the debate around the impact of COVID I think is moot.

People have wanted to get rid of small schools for years, and essentially become a Power 4, mega playoff, NFL-lite.

COVID will let them do that, without the big boys being mean to the little programs and telling them to go away. Its just evolution now. No one has cared about saving small programs historically, but they do now just so it can help shore up the argument about having football at all. They'll dump them when this passes.

It may be the year the power 5 breaks away from the NCAA for at least football. The power 5 allowing the NCAA to remain a thing is the only reason they are still around.

Apparently the Power 5 are working on a set of universal minimum standards to return to competition (more or less the NCAA guidelines).

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/16/power-5-conferences-covid-testing-college-football

Kemp and Desantis are doing a wonderful job for dudes with an extra chromosome.
Our Gov Ducey is following his party leaders and AZ is #1 in the world in per capita cases, but I have to give him credit for having a thick skin. His last two news conferences have been brutal. One reporter asked him last week if he thought Arizonans would ever forgive him for his mismanagement of Covid. He obviously didn’t look happy but calmly answered. Imagine the response to that question in a news conference in DC ... KA-BOOMRollingLaugh

Our Gov Ducey is following his party leaders and AZ is #1 in the world in per capita cases, but I have to give him credit for having a thick skin. His last two news conferences have been brutal. One reporter asked him last week if he thought Arizonans would ever forgive him for his mismanagement of Covid. He obviously didn’t look happy but calmly answered. Imagine the response to that question in a news conference in DC ... KA-BOOMRollingLaugh
That's the question that should have been asked of Cuomo. He directly caused the death of thousands of nursing home patients. Idiot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT