- Oct 7, 2012
Nothing ground breaking here, but more confirming some of the smoke that has been discussed as rumor.
Cliffs for those of you that may not be able to listen.
This is from his source that also broke the news last year that the B1G was going to shut down football...
- B1G/Pac are trying to work on a merger. Hoping to preserve Rose Bowl contract with this. Unclear exactly what this merger would entail.
- Notre Dame would ideally like to join ACC, however if there is a chance they merge with the SEC, they WILL NOT join the ACC.
- Academic schools want nothing to do with SEC. This includes Virginia, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech.
- B1G would like these schools (UVA, UNC) if there was a different commissioner... (LOL - Kevin Warren is the gift that keeps giving)
That's about it from the source. More discussion following regarding the "holier than thou" aspect of the whole deal. No one looks at Vandy, Florida academics any differently because of the conference they are in.
He also brought in Ryan McGee (SEC/ESPN guy) the following day on his radio show, who brought up a couple interesting points.
- SEC is having a hay-day with this. Everything win/win so far.
- ND possibly open to joining the B1G, if the $$ is right and there is western expansion (i.e. USC comes with). ND reportedly met yesterday 7/28 to discuss future plans.
- ESPN and Fox will both have influence in the realignment process