ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick's Realigment Thread

Oct 7, 2012

Nothing ground breaking here, but more confirming some of the smoke that has been discussed as rumor.
Cliffs for those of you that may not be able to listen.
This is from his source that also broke the news last year that the B1G was going to shut down football...

- B1G/Pac are trying to work on a merger. Hoping to preserve Rose Bowl contract with this. Unclear exactly what this merger would entail.
- Notre Dame would ideally like to join ACC, however if there is a chance they merge with the SEC, they WILL NOT join the ACC.
- Academic schools want nothing to do with SEC. This includes Virginia, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech.
- B1G would like these schools (UVA, UNC) if there was a different commissioner... (LOL - Kevin Warren is the gift that keeps giving)

That's about it from the source. More discussion following regarding the "holier than thou" aspect of the whole deal. No one looks at Vandy, Florida academics any differently because of the conference they are in.

He also brought in Ryan McGee (SEC/ESPN guy) the following day on his radio show, who brought up a couple interesting points.

- SEC is having a hay-day with this. Everything win/win so far.
- ND possibly open to joining the B1G, if the $$ is right and there is western expansion (i.e. USC comes with). ND reportedly met yesterday 7/28 to discuss future plans.
- ESPN and Fox will both have influence in the realignment process

Reactions: BleedRed78
If memory serves me correctly isn't ND technically contractually obligated to the ACC? I'm not saying "No, ND shouldn't join the hypothetical B1G/PAC merger." I'm all for that honestly, but obligations and stuff like that are what's making me hesitant on the idea of an NFL-style college football schtick

So academic universities don’t want to join the SEC, but ND does?

Also, ND has a $12 billion endowment, I’m not sure money is a motivating factor. But who knows…

The B1G Pac, better than the Big Mac and the Big Kat put together.

Nothing ground breaking here, but more confirming some of the smoke that has been discussed as rumor.
Cliffs for those of you that may not be able to listen.
This is from his source that also broke the news last year that the B1G was going to shut down football...

- B1G/Pac are trying to work on a merger. Hoping to preserve Rose Bowl contract with this. Unclear exactly what this merger would entail.
- Notre Dame would ideally like to join ACC, however if there is a chance they merge with the SEC, they WILL NOT join the ACC.
- Academic schools want nothing to do with SEC. This includes Virginia, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech.
- B1G would like these schools (UVA, UNC) if there was a different commissioner... (LOL - Kevin Warren is the gift that keeps giving)

That's about it from the source. More discussion following regarding the "holier than thou" aspect of the whole deal. No one looks at Vandy, Florida academics any differently because of the conference they are in.

He also brought in Ryan McGee (SEC/ESPN guy) the following day on his radio show, who brought up a couple interesting points.

- SEC is having a hay-day with this. Everything win/win so far.
- ND possibly open to joining the B1G, if the $$ is right and there is western expansion (i.e. USC comes with). ND reportedly met yesterday 7/28 to discuss future plans.
- ESPN and Fox will both have influence in the realignment process
If USC and Notre Dame both join the Big 10, it would have a leg up on the SEC

From a football perspective...

B1G > SEC yes I am not fan boying

6 of the most storied programs would be in the B1G

Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Penn State
USC

vs

Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma
Tennessee

I am pretty sure those are the most storied programs in football. Then you have the other teams that are strong now in the SEC, but no way are as storied

Wisconsin
Iowa

vs

Florida
Auburn
Georgia
LSU

I would honestly give the edge to the B1G

Then there are the rest...

Mississippi St
Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Missouri
Arkansas
South Carolina
Texas A&M

vs

Indiana
Purdue
Michigan State
Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota

I see the edge going to the SEC here. That does not mean that they're a better conference, because the Big 10 would have just as many or more eyes on their games. If I was a betting man I would bet the B1G would recieve the majority of votes for best conference if they were to get Notre Dame and USC.

B1G > SEC in Basketball

although Texas and OU would help the SEC more than Notre Dame and USC would hel the Big 10

SEC > Big 10 in Baseball

Not even freaking close

Big 10 > SEC academics

Not even freaking close

when was the last time the rose bowl between b1g and pac12 champs actually meant anything?

I could see this being the way forward. Sounds like there's moves to explore it anyway. Eventuality would make it less of a "partnership" and more of a merger as time necessitates the superconference status. If the SEC is going that route, then compete so there's not a monopoly on that status.

Might as well call it the Rose Conference, which would actually be pretty damn cool considering the historic matchup and bowl game between the two. There's so much fun stuff that could be done with the divisions or even pods of it. NU could be placed more with PAC 12 teams, bringing back CO rivalry, or others, depending if PAC absorbs any collapsing Big 12 programs. Couple crossover games with the other "conference" or "wing" of superconference. This way the "Rose Conference" could get more teams into playoffs so that it doesn't just become an SEC Confederate plaything. Lots of money with more eyeballs on more games more often.

Notre Dame might even go for it since they sure as hell don't want to have anything to do with the SEC, and ACC might eventually merge with them if anything. They'd get USC and MU to hang onto as far as rivalries goes.

If it were to happen, I'd probably lean toward rather having NU become more associated with the PAC wing than the B1G wing. We're already the furthest west team in the B1G, might as well just slip us over anyway since we're so loathed for having lost (deprived) of our AAU status right after joining. It's a big priority for the Pac 12, but not as snobbishly as the B1G makes a fuss about it. I like Rose Conference better than B1G Pac or whatever other funny names for it. It's mostly about preserving the great historic bowl game and creating a competing superconference anyway, right?

PSU site idea on divisions

Basically has it like this:
  • Split the conference into two divisions
    • The old Pac-12 + Nebraska
    • The remaining 13 Big Ten schools
  • Up the number of conference games to 10
    • Eight games against teams in your division (with two being protected games i.e. Michigan-Ohio State)
    • Two cross-divisional games - one home, one on the road

I could see a super alternative where the best teams from all the P5 conferences merge into an NFL type league to negotiate media contracts as one group sub-organized into geographic divisions and totally outside and independent of the NCAA. That way they get away from the small college influence in the current NCAA. The key question though is which current P5 teams get shut out of a super league.

PSU site idea on divisions

Basically has it like this:
  • Split the conference into two divisions
    • The old Pac-12 + Nebraska
    • The remaining 13 Big Ten schools
  • Up the number of conference games to 10
    • Eight games against teams in your division (with two being protected games i.e. Michigan-Ohio State)
    • Two cross-divisional games - one home, one on the road
For those of you the original PAC 8 conference..

California
Stanford
Washington
Washington St
Oregon
Oregon St
UCLA
USC

*1978 Arizona and ASU made it the Pac10..

Reactions: BleedRed78
Can we just go ahead and develop a 64 team power conference and get rid of the NCAA? Its headed that way anyway.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So academic universities don’t want to join the SEC, but ND does?

Also, ND has a $12 billion endowment, I’m not sure money is a motivating factor. But who knows…
i think endowment spending is typically more directed vs. discretionary.
so, athletic dept will be influenced by tv rev.

Stanford & California from the PAC, Boston College & Pittsburgh from ACC. Then lock the door. This Conf would be the top academic league in the US . The endowments from these 4 schools doesn't hurt.
Might be fun to see an early afternoon B1G showdown in Happy Valley against Pitt. Followed on BTN with "The Big Game " Cal vs Stanford.

ADVERTISEMENT