ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball story

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
Kendall Rogers' story Teams On The Upswing adds Nebraska to the list...

Nebraska
What a turn of events it has been for the Huskers the past few weeks. Just a month ago, the Big Red appeared to be in a situation of uncertainty with a postseason berth looking like a virtual pipe dream. Well, the Huskers have played exceptionally well the past few weeks and could get into the hosting discussion (they placed a bid to host) with a very strong showing in the Big Ten tournament, which by the way, will be played in nearby Omaha.

Nebraska finished the regular season just a half-game out of first place behind Minnesota and is up to 36 in the RPI with a 4-7 record vs. RPI Top 50. Ben Miller (.328/6/45) continues to have a strong season, while Scott Schreiber has been outstanding as of late and is now hitting .320 with a whopping 16 homers and 55 RBIs.

Darin Erstad’s ability to turn this season around is very impressive.

Like I said, the NCAA loves having a northern team host. Finishing 2nd helps our chances and winning the tourney really helps our chances because it will get us over that 40 win mark. Still have to win the tourney so a lot to be decided. I'm just happy that we are most likely a regional team and back in the post season (the real post season).

being a season ticket holder I wouldn't be upset with hosting a regional either though. Smokin

Reactions: OmahaSker
Very very interesting.

Ill say it. Win and host. Worst that happens is I'm wrong lol

How maddening is that? If we bbq we are probably out. If we win we could host. Talk about a roller coaster.

Reactions: donahues17
Kendall Rogers' story Teams On The Upswing adds Nebraska to the list...

Nebraska
What a turn of events it has been for the Huskers the past few weeks. Just a month ago, the Big Red appeared to be in a situation of uncertainty with a postseason berth looking like a virtual pipe dream. Well, the Huskers have played exceptionally well the past few weeks and could get into the hosting discussion (they placed a bid to host) with a very strong showing in the Big Ten tournament, which by the way, will be played in nearby Omaha.

Nebraska finished the regular season just a half-game out of first place behind Minnesota and is up to 36 in the RPI with a 4-7 record vs. RPI Top 50. Ben Miller (.328/6/45) continues to have a strong season, while Scott Schreiber has been outstanding as of late and is now hitting .320 with a whopping 16 homers and 55 RBIs.

Darin Erstad’s ability to turn this season around is very impressive.

Thanks for posting this!

I'd still say hosting might be a pipe dream. If we had entered the B1G tournament with an rpi above 25 maybe but we shall see.

I would agree that hosting is probably a big stretch, but I also don't expect to go 4-0 this week. If we do, we would have a chance, but even then, it's just a small chance.

I looked over the other conferences and outside of the ACC and SEC (which will get about 11 maybe 12 hosts) their aren't a lot of stellar teams to compete for a regional host. Texas Tech most likely, Long Beach State has been hot. But the final spots will come down to tourney champs in my opinion. Lafayette, TCU, among others don't have a resume to beat us alone. No PAC 12 team should host because they are all above average at best. Will be interesting watching it all play out this week.

I looked over the other conferences and outside of the ACC and SEC (which will get about 11 maybe 12 hosts) their aren't a lot of stellar teams to compete for a regional host. Texas Tech most likely, Long Beach State has been hot. But the final spots will come down to tourney champs in my opinion. Lafayette, TCU, among others don't have a resume to beat us alone. No PAC 12 team should host because they are all above average at best. Will be interesting watching it all play out this week.

I would think La La's resume is quite a bit better than ours. Pretty much across all the metrics. Lafayette is also on a six game win streak and favored to win their tournament.

Arizona St is on the host bubble (in) slate and I suspect their resume much more than La La's.

One thing to watch (if we keep winning) is Illinois' RPI. Right now they are RPI 51. Their season is over but their RPI will continue to move as other teams go on to win or lose. If they make it to 50, our resume v T 50 goes from 4-7 to 6-8. Better.

Another is Indiana St. RPI 63 and able to improve considerable if they sweep the Mo Valley tournament. If both reach RPI 50 we will be at 9-8 v T 50. Pretty decent number.

Just looking for a ray of hope.

I would think La La's resume is quite a bit better than ours. Pretty much across all the metrics. Lafayette is also on a six game win streak and favored to win their tournament.

Arizona St is on the host bubble (in) slate and I suspect their resume much more than La La's.

One thing to watch (if we keep winning) is Illinois' RPI. Right now they are RPI 51. Their season is over but their RPI will continue to move as other teams go on to win or lose. If they make it to 50, our resume v T 50 goes from 4-7 to 6-8. Better.

Another is Indiana St. RPI 63 and able to improve considerable if they sweep the Mo Valley tournament. If both reach RPI 50 we will be at 9-8 v T 50. Pretty decent number.

Just looking for a ray of hope.

Yes, La La! Forgot about those guys. Assuming the SEC/ACC get 12 (rounding up). LBST gets one, Tech gets one, and La La gets one, that may leave one open spot for whoever gets hot in their tourney. If we did go 4-0 that would ironically put us at 10-0 in our last ten which I know the NCAA has used as a tie breaker a lot in the past.

At the end of the day, we'd have to go 4-0 to even have a chance :confused:

To host as a #2 seed we should be loudly cheering for FAU to win their tourney, they are major contender for a #1 seed but did not submit a bid to host (nor did Long Beach).

On the flip side, teams like TCU, LA-LA, Arizona etc losing would greatly help the outside chance.

Reactions: k9_r and donahues17
To host as a #2 seed we should be loudly cheering for FAU to win their tourney, they are major contender for a #1 seed but did not submit a bid to host (nor did Long Beach).

On the flip side, teams like TCU, LA-LA, Arizona etc losing would greatly help the outside chance.

Was not aware of that, definitely helps our chances.

ADVERTISEMENT