ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball discusses conference tournament ramifications.

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
https://d1baseball.com/projections/stock-report/stock-report-may-26/

Regarding the Big Ten..

Northwestern and Iowa are in the winners’ brackets in the Big Ten tournament, and either one would be a “bid-stealer” if it wins the automatic. The same goes for Minnesota, which is still alive but in the losers’ bracket. Maryland is currently on the right side of the bubble and is still alive.

It’s possible that the Terps could be knocked out if one of the other three teams wins this tournament, but Maryland helped itself with wins Thursday (agains Purdue) and Friday (against Nebraska), helping it climb to No. 32 in the RPI. A Big Ten team with that kind of RPI and a 15-9 conference record stands a solid chance to earn an at-large, but Maryland’s four straight series losses to end the year is a black mark on its resume.

Regardless, we like [the Terp's] chances, so if one of the other three teams wins the tourney, we think this could become a five-bid league. Nebraska, Michigan and Indiana are safely in.

Reactions: saluno22
Hard to imagine a few years ago that this would be a 4-bid league, let alone a 5-bid league. I still think someone gets squeezed out if Minnesota, Iowa, or Northwestern win the tournament.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Hard to imagine a few years ago that this would be a 4-bid league, let alone a 5-bid league. I still think someone gets squeezed out if Minnesota, Iowa, or Northwestern win the tournament.
As long as it's not us that gets squeezed out(and it looks like that's highly unlikely), I don't really care that much.

As long as it's not us that gets squeezed out(and it looks like that's highly unlikely), I don't really care that much.
Agree. It would be tough to snub the regular season champ, especially when they won their series against each of the other teams they would be compared against (other than Michigan as they didn't have a series).

Agree. It would be tough to snub the regular season champ, especially when they won their series against each of the other teams they would be compared against (other than Michigan as they didn't have a series).
Looking at Minnesota's situation last year makes me confident we'll get in. They were the regular season champion last year with the same conference record(minus the 1 tie we had), had one fewer overall win than we do this year, and a lower RPI than we have now. They went 0-2 in the B1G tournament and had lost their last conference series and 2 of their last 3. They still got in the NCAA tournament. If they still got in considering all of that, we should have no problem getting in.

I don't know about after the poor showing in the tourney. They have been bouncing back and forth between a 2 and 3 seed.

I don't know about after the poor showing in the tourney. They have been bouncing back and forth between a 2 and 3 seed.
Tourney is irrelevant to winning a regular season title and taking the series against Maryland and Indiana. They are in but where they go is what remains to be seen.

I agree. I just think Nebraska will be a 3 seed. Which a 2/3 seed don't matter much since they play each other first anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT