ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball.com Weekly Chat Nuggets

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Link: https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseballs-weekly-chat-4/

Comment from Brian:
Which Big Ten team has the most potential to win a regional?

Aaron Fitt:
I still really like Maryland's personnel, but I'm alarmed by how poorly its offense has performed down the stretch -- they've lost four straight series, so it's hard to feel good about picking them to win a regional. But if they can figure it out, watch out, because the talent is there, and Brian Shaffer can beat anybody in the first game of a regional -- that dude is legit. Honestly, I think any of the four teams we're projecting to make regionals (Michigan, Maryland, Nebraska, and Indiana) are capable of winning a regional, and it's tough to separate them based on what they have done this season. Right now, if I've got to pick one Big Ten team with the best chance, I probably lean Michigan.

==============================

Comment from Carl James:
As a possible 4-bid league, if a non-likely at-large wins the Big Ten Tournament in Bloomington (not unprecedented) will the committee specifically punish a Big Ten team or just the next poor team on the bubble?

Aaron Fitt:
In that scenario, I could certainly see the Big Ten getting five bids....but if, for instance, Maryland goes winless in the conference tourney after losing its last four series, maybe the Terps would get squeezed out. Or if Indiana falls flat, maybe the Hoosiers could be punished for finishing sixth in the standings (albeit just two games out of first). I think Maryland would be in more jeopardy than Indiana -- feel like the Hoosiers are in good shape.

================================

Comment from Paul:
Huskers finally break through and win the Big Ten! With Erstad at the head of the ship I foresee big things for his program in the coming years, do you agree?

Kendall Rogers:
We considered Nebraska heavily for the Top 25 in the preseason, so we clearly had high hopes for the Huskers. We did give some pause when the Huskers went through quite the rut in the middle of the season, but to Darin's credit, they bounced back and finished strong, intrigued to see what the Huskers do in the postseason.

Reactions: k9_r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT