ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball.com: Big Ten must relish opportunity

For the record, the chances that Heller goes anywhere in the near future are slim to none. And none outweighs slim by 200 lbs. This is the job he's always wanted, and he's an Iowa guy through and through. He's shown a huge commitment to the program (and vise-versa), and it's paid off so far. The writer of the article is marginally informed at best, essentially saying that Iowa "didn't know" what they were getting with Heller, and that they didn't realize how big a commitment they'd have to make to keep him when they hired him from Indiana St a couple of years ago. On the contrary, one of Heller's stipulations for taking the job was that the Iowa AD would dramatically increase the commitment to the program, including a huge facilities upgrade. They just completed phase two (of three) before the season started...finishing the entire playing surface into FieldTurf, putting in a new outfield wall, and installing a brand new video scoreboard. Phase three will involve tearing down the current stadium and building a new one from the ground up around the new field. It supposedly will seat between 4000-4500.

Reactions: icu81222
For the record, the chances that Heller goes anywhere in the near future are slim to none. And none outweighs slim by 200 lbs. This is the job he's always wanted, and he's an Iowa guy through and through. He's shown a huge commitment to the program (and vise-versa), and it's paid off so far. The writer of the article is marginally informed at best, essentially saying that Iowa "didn't know" what they were getting with Heller, and that they didn't realize how big a commitment they'd have to make to keep him when they hired him from Indiana St a couple of years ago. On the contrary, one of Heller's stipulations for taking the job was that the Iowa AD would dramatically increase the commitment to the program, including a huge facilities upgrade. They just completed phase two (of three) before the season started...finishing the entire playing surface into FieldTurf, putting in a new outfield wall, and installing a brand new video scoreboard. Phase three will involve tearing down the current stadium and building a new one from the ground up around the new field. It supposedly will seat between 4000-4500.
This is exactly spot on. I mentioned this before as well. Heller is a lifer. Sure, he can use this year to pad his contract some but he was in a good enough spot at ISU that he had some leverage and used that to get commitments to facilities and salaries. He won't be going anywhere and the commitment has been made.

With all this said, people need to realize that Iowa is going to step back next year quite a bit. Maybe a lot. They lose quite a few great seniors but there should be a few juniors (like Erickson) that have a great window to jump through.

If the fan base is patient, it should be back as Heller has a plan in place but there will be too many new, young faces next year to duplicate this season.

Well since we are discussing Heller, I agree that he is not going anywhere. He said he was his "dream job" to coach at the U of Iowa. Heck, he wanted the job when Iowa hired Dahm.

Iowa may take a step back next year. I am 98% sure Hickman will be gone as a junior and Peyton may be as well. With that being said the incoming recruiting classes and some of the kids red shirting this year are good talents.

This is exactly spot on. I mentioned this before as well. Heller is a lifer. Sure, he can use this year to pad his contract some but he was in a good enough spot at ISU that he had some leverage and used that to get commitments to facilities and salaries. He won't be going anywhere and the commitment has been made.

With all this said, people need to realize that Iowa is going to step back next year quite a bit. Maybe a lot. They lose quite a few great seniors but there should be a few juniors (like Erickson) that have a great window to jump through.

If the fan base is patient, it should be back as Heller has a plan in place but there will be too many new, young faces next year to duplicate this season.

What Iowa does next year will depend a little on what juniors come back. None, with the possible exception of Hickman, is a can't - miss certainty in the draft. Many have done well, but it's been mostly a team effort this year. I don't see one non senior who couldn't benefit from more college experience. No matter what, having the top recruiting classes in the B1G last couple of years can't hurt.

What Iowa does next year will depend a little on what juniors come back. None, with the possible exception of Hickman, is a can't - miss certainty in the draft. Many have done well, but it's been mostly a team effort this year. I don't see one non senior who couldn't benefit from more college experience. No matter what, having the top recruiting classes in the B1G last couple of years can't hurt.

Where did you see the Big Ten recruiting class rankings by chance? I was curious where everyone ranked the last few years.

Where did you see the Big Ten recruiting class rankings by chance? I was curious where everyone ranked the last few years.

The standing of Iowa's last two classes (Heller's first two) can be found on the Hawkeye sports site.

The standing of Iowa's last two classes (Heller's first two) can be found on the Hawkeye sports site.
Not easily.

Did find this story about pitcher recruiting...

University of Iowa junior Ryan Erickson was content on being a traditional college student last spring until he ventured to Duane Banks Field to catch his first Hawkeye baseball game.

Seems he was disappointed in what he saw and decided to join the team. Thought he could help.

ADVERTISEMENT