ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball & Baseball America Weekly Chat (5/3)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
I'll post anything from the two chats that are relative to Nebraska and the B1G

TOAST: RUTGERS. If they can get two or more wins in their next stretch versus Indiana and Nebraska and take care of business with the rest of their schedule, which is a cake walk, do they play their way into an at-large bid?

Aaron Fitt: Yeah, I certainly think so. At this point I think they've already played themselves onto the right side of the bubble, after winning back-to-back road series at Michigan and Nebraska, both of whom were ranked in the Top 25 at the time of the meetings. I think 17-13 in the Big Ten with those nice wins under their belt has put the Knights in a very strong position.

=======================================

JimmyGeez: Rutgers made its biggest statement in at least the past 25 years with the sweep in Lincoln. How does that position them for an at-large bid? Zero weeks off with IU and Nebraska coming to the Garden State this weekend. Does a 3-1 weekend put them into consideration for the Top 25?

Kendall Rogers: Jimmy -- Rutgers was on the discussion board for the Top 25 this week. Frankly, I'd have Rutgers slightly ahead of Maryland on my postseason order in the Big Ten, and the Scarlet Knights have a chance to bolster that this weekend with games against Indiana and Nebraska in Piscataway. If RU has a good weekend at home, the remaining schedule sets up VERY well. Steve Owens, by the way, is terrific.

Guest: Obviously, after Nebraska's disastrous weekend is any chance of hosting a regional gone? Did getting swept put them on the bubble? The Big Ten is not one of the top leagues in baseball, they are no longer in first place and their RPI (which I know is hard to judge without non-conference games) dropped to 86! They can redeem themselves with a much harder schedule coming up, but for now I think they are in trouble, thoughts?

Aaron Fitt: Well first off, the RPI is utterly worthless without nonconference games, so just cast that part aside. At 20-10, I don't think Nebraska is on the at-large bubble yet, but the Huskers could find themselves in that direction if they don't rebound in a tough weekend against Rutgers and Indiana coming up in Piscataway. What a huge weekend for all parties involved.

JB: With many states fully opened and allowing full capacity crowds, why doesn't the NCAA allow the amount of people allowed by the state mandate instead of putting a hard cap on attendance? Seems to be just COVID theatre that you can have a full Dudy Noble or Baum but then go back to restrictions.

Kendall Rogers: JB -- my educated guess is that the NCAA is going to set the attendance at 50 percent capacity, and capacities will be listed at very generous amounts. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now.

Keegan (Nebraska): Not only did Nebraska get swept and lose its lead in the Big Ten, it was the first time since joining the conference they were swept in a home conference series. Is this a team that still has a shot at getting back into the hosting conversation?

Teddy Cahill: I was kind of skeptical of Nebraska as a host to begin with. What was it going to take to establish that -- or any Big Ten team -- was the worthy host? Was the 1.5 game lead the Huskers held going into the weekend enough? I didn't really think so, but reasonable people can disagree. Now, the problem is that there is only one weekend left before the selection committee cuts the potential host sites field. And while the Huskers this weekend play a challenging four-game pod with Rutgers and Indiana, it's going to be hard for them to assert that they are the Big Ten's best team. It also should be said that if the committee is interested in geographical balance and that's why it would give the top Big Ten team a host site (which doesn't happen in most typical seasons), Nebraska only helps so much. You could put Oklahoma State and the Summit League champs there and then hope Creighton got in, either as Big East Tournament champs or at-large. But that's a perfect storm. Michigan or Indiana is better geographically. Ultimately though, I'm not projecting Nebraska as a host this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT