D.C. Police Officer Beaten During Capitol Riot Calls Out 'Whitewash'

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)

"A D.C. Metropolitan Police officer left brain injured by Capitol rioters on Tuesday slammed ex-President Donald Trump and the other politicians who have falsely portrayed the mob as peaceful.

Michael Fanone, a 19-year police veteran who was dragged down stairs, beaten with pipes and repeatedly shocked with stun guns during the pro-Trump insurrection, talked about the distortions in an emotional interview with CNN’s Don Lemon.

“It’s been very difficult seeing elected officials and other individuals kind of whitewash the events that day, or downplay what happened,” Fanone said when Lemon asked about Trump’s claim that the rioters posed “zero threat.” “Some of the terminology that was used, like ‘hugs and kisses,’ and ‘very fine people,’ is very different from what I experienced and what my co-workers experienced on the 6th.”

Trump said during an interview on Fox News last month that his supporters were hugging and kissing police officers and were unthreatening.

Fanone said that was “very much not the experience that I had.”

“I experienced a group of individuals that were trying to kill me to accomplish their goal,” he said, choking up. “I experienced the most brutal, savage, hand-to-hand combat of my entire life. Let alone my policing career, which spans almost two decades.”

He said he hoped that people would understand the depths of the insurrectionists’ motives.

“I want people to understand that thousands of rioters came to the Capitol hell-bent on violence and destruction and murder,” he said.

Fanone was guarding a Capitol hallway when the Trump rioters dragged him from his post, hauled him down a stairway, shocked him repeatedly with a stun gun and beat him with metal pipes. He suffered a heart attack and a concussion and has since been living with a traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.

More than 400 people have been charged in the riot, including several who are implicated in the attack against Fanone. Charges have been filed against Thomas Sibick, Kyle Young, Albuquerque Head and Daniel Rodriguez.

Some leading Republicans have joined Trump in pushing false accounts of the insurrection, downplaying the violence that led to five deaths and hundreds of law enforcement injuries after Trump urged supporters to march on the Capitol to overturn the election."

More in the link.............a reminder just to counter those on here that try to downplay the violent, rightwing, Trump supported insurrection.
The capitol rioters are sick, deranged individuals. So are sickos like Trump, Marjorie Traitor Greene and fascists like @Bobfather who support those crazy rioters.

maggs

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2001
Based on what? What you want to be true? Do you know the guy? Are you aware of his level of integrity
He described it as 1000’s of rioters came to Washington “hellbent on violence, destruction, and murder”. I would call that embellishing, as should you, since those thousands of people literally murdered 0 people. Common sense, my man. jmho

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
He described it as 1000’s of rioters came to Washington “hellbent on violence, destruction, and murder”. I would call that embellishing, as should you, since those thousands of people literally murdered 0 people. Common sense, my man. jmho
Probably fair that the 1000's number is embellished.

I guess I was more focused on this part:

“It’s been very difficult seeing elected officials and other individuals kind of whitewash the events that day, or downplay what happened,” Fanone said when Lemon asked about Trump’s claim that the rioters posed “zero threat.” “Some of the terminology that was used, like ‘hugs and kisses,’ and ‘very fine people,’ is very different from what I experienced and what my co-workers experienced on the 6th.”

Trump said during an interview on Fox News last month that his supporters were hugging and kissing police officers and were unthreatening.

“I experienced a group of individuals that were trying to kill me to accomplish their goal,” he said, choking up. “I experienced the most brutal, savage, hand-to-hand combat of my entire life. Let alone my policing career, which spans almost two decades.”

kidofSN

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Maybe learn what free speech actually means. Crying about something you do not understand really is childish!

Reactions: realbp

lost_in_office_space

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2007
What a microcosm of the shit show we've created for ourselves. This topic, this thread, the media coverage, etc etc.

I mean is there a better and more disturbing representation of our current affairs.

I mean really, let's break it down (and yes, we'll have to generalize a bit and speak in terms of aggregate representations of the players in this, or we'll never get anywhere. ANd we'll acknowledge there are outliers to those aggregates and it is unfair to condemn individuals based on purported groups to which they "belong"). Ok so that said:

There is the tragic death of George Floyd, that essentially the entire country agreed it was tragic. Split hairs about him as a person before this event, i don't think anyone thinks he deserved to die (other than a tiny, tiny amount that are evil ****s who don't belong in our society). I also think most would agree it was sad and what George needed more than anything was help. He was clearly sick and its really sad to see what happened.

Pretty clearly had a brief window of opportunity to unify the country to speak out against police brutality, to acknowledge there is room for improvement, that law enforcement is put in a tough spot a lot and they need our help too, and that we've got to do a better job with how we treat drug use in this country. The war on drugs have failed. We failed George Floyd in that regard and we failed law enforcement as well. INstead it was quickly scooped up as a divisive event that pitted political sides against eachother. It gave a mouthpiece to the extremes. It drew an unecessary bi-polar conclusion to a complicated issue. **** the police, they are racists. Cops are all bad and black criminals are only criminals because of white oppression.

The otherside quickly boxed themselves in to back the police, there is no issue. George Floyd is a piece of shit, etc etc.

It didn't need to be that way. Then riots broke out. And for months, some acted like "what riots?". I see peaceful protests. This is the summer of love. Who needs law and order. Hell they are justified in their violent destructive out rage. Quick to make any excuse for the awful behavior and minimize the reality as much as possible. Remember when the national guards that were protecting federal property were "goons"? And again, it wasn't just Starbucks and mom and pop buildings getting looted, vandalized, burned out, it was also government buildings, federal property, and some pretty important symbolic structures, near places like the White House, etc.

The otherside found it necessary to pull just as hard inthe other direction. When do you acknowledge that this should get our attention that this many people have "lost" this game in the USA. Lost it so hopelessly that they just want to flip the board and scatter the game pieces.

All protesters were violent rioters. They were all "demorats" or "libtards" or "marxists" etc etc and this is who the entire left of center is, etc etc.

Then fast forward to the absolute horseshit that happened at the capital. Sad, scared, bored, ignorant unhappy people frenzied up into acting like total asshats and forced their way into the nation's capital. Completely despicable behavior.

Now the narrative flips. Suddenly riotous behavior is whole heartedly comdemned by the same side and mouthpieces that wanted to ignore, redirect attention away from, or minimize/excuse the previous riots. Now law enforcement are "heroes" because it will play well, can be weaponized and frankly is convenient to the cause of trying to "beat" the opposition. Republicans.

The insurrection, or whatever you choose to call it, was clearly exaggerated by those same influencers that wanted the country to look away from the riots this summer. The officer that sadly lost his life shortly after Jan 6, the coverage of that was hyper sensational. That wanted us to look really closely at this event and they really wanted to exploit it for political gain. The other side wanted to act like "what riot", what violence. Those are just good Americans. **** THOSE cops.

Here is the take away. I get why bobfather and people like him are frustrated. I do. The sensational divisive shit on the left has been extremely inconsistent. It's bullshit. But bob doesn't realize he is part of the problem. He's been unable to control his justifiable frustration and instead has allowed anger and fear to drive his perspective and the influencers on the "right" are really good at manipulating that. He can't see he himself is inconsistent, and is guilty of the same exact thing, in mirror, that drives him crazy about the "left". His on inconsistencies (and those of his "team") then create a similar reaction in the opposite direction of those he opposes. I get why caveman, or huskermatt can't stand him. Or stein and Husker in LA. But they can't see they are the bob of their side.

How do you stop a tug of war mid event? Particularly when you have been convinced that everything you care about and love and cherish and want to desperately protect is riding on the line. If you lose this tug of war, you will lose everything. Both sides are convinced of it. Neither side cares about what is fair or right, its just pull against them at all costs. Give no ground ever. you will lose everything.

The only way to actually stop is if you are convinced there isn't a win possible, that the world isn't hanging in the balance, that the otherside has good people just like you, and here is the key part:

THAT YOU CAN TRUST THE OTHER SIDE WILL STOP PULLING SO FERVENTLY IF YOU STOP. WE DON"T TRUST EACHOTHER ANYMORE.

Rant over.

jw.3

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
You would not have the balls to call me a coward to my face and those people were law breakers not traitors. The fact is YOU and your treasonous ilk cheered the brownshirts all summer long including burning St. Johns Church and putting a guillotine up at the White House and trying to rush the grounds.
bob at your age and with your frail frame, im not sure you (or I for that matter) want to be challenging anyone to grapple. time to hang it up, bud.

maggs

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2001
Probably fair that the 1000's number is embellished.

I guess I was more focused on this part:

I’m sure that he was scared shitless, which sucks. I wouldn’t want to be cop in this country for anything, for countless, wide-ranging reasons.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
What a microcosm of the shit show we've created for ourselves. This topic, this thread, the media coverage, etc etc.

I mean is there a better and more disturbing representation of our current affairs.

I mean really, let's break it down (and yes, we'll have to generalize a bit and speak in terms of aggregate representations of the players in this, or we'll never get anywhere. ANd we'll acknowledge there are outliers to those aggregates and it is unfair to condemn individuals based on purported groups to which they "belong"). Ok so that said:

There is the tragic death of George Floyd, that essentially the entire country agreed it was tragic. Split hairs about him as a person before this event, i don't think anyone thinks he deserved to die (other than a tiny, tiny amount that are evil ****s who don't belong in our society). I also think most would agree it was sad and what George needed more than anything was help. He was clearly sick and its really sad to see what happened.

Pretty clearly had a brief window of opportunity to unify the country to speak out against police brutality, to acknowledge there is room for improvement, that law enforcement is put in a tough spot a lot and they need our help too, and that we've got to do a better job with how we treat drug use in this country. The war on drugs have failed. We failed George Floyd in that regard and we failed law enforcement as well. INstead it was quickly scooped up as a divisive event that pitted political sides against eachother. It gave a mouthpiece to the extremes. It drew an unecessary bi-polar conclusion to a complicated issue. **** the police, they are racists. Cops are all bad and black criminals are only criminals because of white oppression.

The otherside quickly boxed themselves in to back the police, there is no issue. George Floyd is a piece of shit, etc etc.

It didn't need to be that way. Then riots broke out. And for months, some acted like "what riots?". I see peaceful protests. This is the summer of love. Who needs law and order. Hell they are justified in their violent destructive out rage. Quick to make any excuse for the awful behavior and minimize the reality as much as possible. Remember when the national guards that were protecting federal property were "goons"? And again, it wasn't just Starbucks and mom and pop buildings getting looted, vandalized, burned out, it was also government buildings, federal property, and some pretty important symbolic structures, near places like the White House, etc.

The otherside found it necessary to pull just as hard inthe other direction. When do you acknowledge that this should get our attention that this many people have "lost" this game in the USA. Lost it so hopelessly that they just want to flip the board and scatter the game pieces.

All protesters were violent rioters. They were all "demorats" or "libtards" or "marxists" etc etc and this is who the entire left of center is, etc etc.

Then fast forward to the absolute horseshit that happened at the capital. Sad, scared, bored, ignorant unhappy people frenzied up into acting like total asshats and forced their way into the nation's capital. Completely despicable behavior.

Now the narrative flips. Suddenly riotous behavior is whole heartedly comdemned by the same side and mouthpieces that wanted to ignore, redirect attention away from, or minimize/excuse the previous riots. Now law enforcement are "heroes" because it will play well, can be weaponized and frankly is convenient to the cause of trying to "beat" the opposition. Republicans.

The insurrection, or whatever you choose to call it, was clearly exaggerated by those same influencers that wanted the country to look away from the riots this summer. The officer that sadly lost his life shortly after Jan 6, the coverage of that was hyper sensational. That wanted us to look really closely at this event and they really wanted to exploit it for political gain. The other side wanted to act like "what riot", what violence. Those are just good Americans. **** THOSE cops.

Here is the take away. I get why bobfather and people like him are frustrated. I do. The sensational divisive shit on the left has been extremely inconsistent. It's bullshit. But bob doesn't realize he is part of the problem. He's been unable to control his justifiable frustration and instead has allowed anger and fear to drive his perspective and the influencers on the "right" are really good at manipulating that. He can't see he himself is inconsistent, and is guilty of the same exact thing, in mirror, that drives him crazy about the "left". His on inconsistencies (and those of his "team") then create a similar reaction in the opposite direction of those he opposes. I get why caveman, or huskermatt can't stand him. Or stein and Husker in LA. But they can't see they are the bob of their side.

How do you stop a tug of war mid event? Particularly when you have been convinced that everything you care about and love and cherish and want to desperately protect is riding on the line. If you lose this tug of war, you will lose everything. Both sides are convinced of it. Neither side cares about what is fair or right, its just pull against them at all costs. Give no ground ever. you will lose everything.

The only way to actually stop is if you are convinced there isn't a win possible, that the world isn't hanging in the balance, that the otherside has good people just like you, and here is the key part:

THAT YOU CAN TRUST THE OTHER SIDE WILL STOP PULLING SO FERVENTLY IF YOU STOP. WE DON"T TRUST EACHOTHER ANYMORE.

Rant over.
t4a.gif

Really good. Thanks for writing something worth reading.

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002

Rant over.
I give your rant a thumbs up for being well thought out, however I have hated democrat policies for over 40 years so this isn't something new. The media treated Republicans the same in the 70's and 80's the same as they do today, however when Rush Limbaugh came on the scene their narrative had pushback and now anybody that isn't lock step with the drive by media narrative is attacked and persecuted with the left cheering it on. Now you have moderates that want to get along and the left has no intention of getting along you either get in lockstep towards their end goal of socialism (communism) or you get destroyed. They have overtaken the day to day operations of the federal government ie. deep state as they are un-elected beuracrats dictating policy, rules and regulations. They were their way to completely overtaking the judiciary system until Trump won which could not stand. They control the education system indoctrinating kids at a younger and younger age. Now they have their eyes on completely reforming the voting system so they can rig it that red states turn purple and purple states blue this way they still think it is a democracy. The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves of the mess this country has become and it was Thomas Jefferson who said the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004

"A D.C. Metropolitan Police officer left brain injured by Capitol rioters on Tuesday slammed ex-President Donald Trump and the other politicians who have falsely portrayed the mob as peaceful.

Michael Fanone, a 19-year police veteran who was dragged down stairs, beaten with pipes and repeatedly shocked with stun guns during the pro-Trump insurrection, talked about the distortions in an emotional interview with CNN’s Don Lemon.

He said he hoped that people would understand the depths of the insurrectionists’ motives.

“I want people to understand that thousands of rioters came to the Capitol hell-bent on violence and destruction and murder,” he said.

Fanone was guarding a Capitol hallway when the Trump rioters dragged him from his post, hauled him down a stairway, shocked him repeatedly with a stun gun and beat him with metal pipes. He suffered a heart attack and a concussion and has since been living with a traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.

More than 400 people have been charged in the riot, including several who are implicated in the attack against Fanone. Charges have been filed against Thomas Sibick, Kyle Young, Albuquerque Head and Daniel Rodriguez.

Some leading Republicans have joined Trump in pushing false accounts of the insurrection, downplaying the violence that led to five deaths and hundreds of law enforcement injuries after Trump urged supporters to march on the Capitol to overturn the election."

More in the link.............a reminder just to counter those on here that try to downplay the violent, rightwing, Trump supported insurrection.
This sounds like the anecdotal evidence. He even says, “that was not my experience”. Which by omission means that other police could have had a very different and positive experience with the protesters on Jan 6. Let’s just remember the only murder was a protester who was shot and killed by a capitol police officer. The other deaths were cardiac victims all who were legally protesting or observing. (It has now been established the police officer died of natural causes.).

Apparently there were guns seized in DC before the protests and someplace in Maryland but as best that I can determine there were no guns seized at the Capitol. I have yet to read about any Congressmen or aides that were assaulted by the “mob” . If someone has a news story on this I would like to read it. I have heard repeated the mob had weapons and were intent on overthrowing our government or at the least disrupting the election. These weapons turn out to be a flag pole, a fire extinguisher and some stun guns. (I think they confiscated some knifes but they weren’t described) This country survived a Civil War. I just don’t accept that acouple hundred people with flag poles stun guns, fire extinguishers and zip ties are going to disrupt the election much less over throw the government.

This whole thing is more akin to the Boston Tea Party. And I think that is exactly what scares the Bejesus out of Washington. Its that a group of American citizens would be so bold and frustrated to even consider they should storm the Capitol. How dare they. The Boston Tea Party was one of the first acts of rebellion against the British government. It lit the fuse if you will that lead to the Revolutionary War. Now I don’t think there is a literal line of progression, but the frustration of the ordinary citizen that led to the Boston Tea Party can be seen and felt today.

Last edited:

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006

Rant over.
Even though I disagree with some of the nuances you pretty much freaking nailed it.

We shouldn't shy away from condemning the riots of the summer and we shouldn't try to downplay a very decent size riotous crowd on the right attaching police officers with metal pipesn chanting to hang a very decent man in Mike Pence.

They are both loathesome and they both need to be condemned by everyone who loves this country.

The tribalism our country is wound up in is killing us. I don't care what's in the news tomorrow, if it looks bad for Democrats, they will defend it, if it looks bad for Republicans they will defend it.

How to we become a nation that evaluates a person by the content of their character not the letter next to their name?

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
I’m sure that he was scared shitless, which sucks. I wouldn’t want to be cop in this country for anything, for countless, wide-ranging reasons.
There is plenty of hard video evidence of rioters attaching police with metal bars. It's pretty easy to take his word for it.

I also would be terrified if I was trying to stop an angry mob chanting their going to hang the VP dragged me into the middle of the crowd and started hitting me with metal objects.

maggs

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2001
There is plenty of hard video evidence of rioters attaching police with metal bars. It's pretty easy to take his word for it.

I also would be terrified if I was trying to stop an angry mob chanting their going to hang the VP dragged me into the middle of the crowd and started hitting me with metal objects.
And possibly over-dramatize the event? It sounds like he was put in more danger than most. It would be interesting to know why that was. Wrong place, wrong time is my guess. Much like the lady that was shot and killed by a security detail. jmho

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
And possibly over-dramatize the event? It sounds like he was put in more danger than most. It would be interesting to know why that was. Wrong place, wrong time is my guess. Much like the lady that was shot and killed by a security detail. jmho
I've said it already many were there that weren't violent but enough were that people (officers, politicians, etc) were in real danger. That is the reality and there is plenty of video and photo evidence to support that

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
For the last time Bob, what branch did you serve in? Right, all bark no bite. Don't tread on my sacrifice as some Patriot. You're not! You're a loser!
You never served anything but Xi on your knees.

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004
No. No it wasn't. Usually you're a lot more logical and level headed in your takes.
As to mypast posts I’ll take that as a compliment. As to my current post are you commenting on what could have happened or what did happen? Maybe it was luck, or bravery by some Capitol Security, or the grace of God, or maybe the assault on the Capitol was just a disorganized mob with lots of frustration (anger) but no real agenda. IDK

But what did happen was some trespassing and property damage. Oh yes and some assault charges on police and one justifiable killing. Clearly the woman climbing though the window caused the officer to be in fear of his life. I wonder if he told her “stop or I’ll shoot”? But no member of Congress or an aide, or anyone else that I know of was seized. This seems very similar to what has been going on in Portland on a regular basis all last year. Why is Washington so upset with this?

Well, partly because of what “could have” happened, I grant you that. But, the politicians in Washington are very smart people about reading people and public opinions. This frightens politicians because they see some people are very unhappy with the policies and actions from Washington. Not that dissimilar to the reasons for the Boston Tea Party. Now you can’t take comparisons too literally but I think it stands up.

Reactions: Bobfather

capt'n caveman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2007
I thought the American Flag is racist? Isn't that why you bend the knee to China before Lebron takes the court?
Don't know where you got the American flag being racist.

Taking a knee was always about police brutality. Despite the lies fox"news" regurgitated over and over, It never had anything to the flag, troops, or patriotism..... if you're too ignorant and stupid to see that, there's nothing more to say.

Reactions: philosophusker

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
Don't know where you got the American flag being racist.

Taking a knee was always about police brutality. Despite the lies fox"news" regurgitated over and over, It never had anything to the flag, troops, or patriotism..... if you're too ignorant and stupid to see that, there's nothing more to say.
You don't even know why people are kneeling!!

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." - Colin Kaepernick

Reactions: Bobfather