ADVERTISEMENT

D’Andre Barnes makes it 28

He didn't have any other Power 5 offers. Hopefully this staff is good at finding diamonds in the rough, because some of the guys they signed seem like reaches.
I’m guessing that’s why they have signed as many as they have… in the past when we signed diamonds in the rough it hurt the bottom line. With so many being signed, those that truly don’t cut it will be cut. IMHO

Clearly you want more speed but unless you are talking speed like that LSU WR...it usually just isn't that big of a difference.

You must be referring to Brice Turner,Jaylen Lyoyd, Kwinten Ives, and Jeremiah Charles who all have been given scholarships with their athleticism and speed…

Also Barnes, Eric Fields, Jason Maciejczak.

Speed is nice, but you have to have football skills as well. Ask Jamie Nance, Demariyon Houston, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams...all guys who were track stars that didn't do anything on the football field. There has to be a reason these guys aren't offered by other programs, especially ones that are right in their own backyard.

Speed is nice, but you have to have football skills as well. Ask Jamie Nance, Demariyon Houston, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams...all guys who were track stars that didn't do anything on the football field. There has to be a reason these guys aren't offered by other programs, especially ones that are right in their own backyard.
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Running fast is one thing but for the most part all. D1 guys are going to be "fast" so while a 10.6 100 is slower than a 10.5 hundred on the track...on the field it is really not that big of a deal.

I would lump them into 3 categories.

Elite speed
Regular everyday D1 speed
Dude that doesn't play

Reactions: BleedRed78

Fields is a LBer and could be one of the those diamonds in the rough..

Also there trying to get into Texas recruiting kids getting the foot in the door have no issues with getting Turner and Charles they could become a pleasant surprise…

Just because SF staff failed with those type of fast kids doesn’t mean Rhule staff will fail in their judgment..

These three will be fascinating to watch. I think Fields and Maciejvzak seem like two of our better prospects, so let's hope Ruhle is right about these guys. He does have a pretty good track record with this sort of thing.

Which one’s are the reaches? The fast ones?
Yes, previous poster was exactly right. This prospect has no business getting a Neb. scholarship and is a reach/project obviously. Anyone with an ounce of brain can see that.

This class is full of them. However, this is common for a transition class and the vast majority of these prospects will transfer out with 1-2 yrs. I can report that Rhule and co. are already targeting higher rated and immediate contributor prospects going forward. The reaches in this class is not uncommon in a transition class, but one thing that IS unique about this class in particular is the sheer number. We'll see in a couple years if that was the right decision

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
Just because SF staff failed with those type of fast kids doesn’t mean Rhule staff will fail in their judgment..

I hope you're right, it just seems like over the last couple decades, we've signed a lot of these "diamond in the rough" recruits with few offers....and most of them did not pan out. Mason Wald, Micah Kreikemeier, Beau Davis, David Engelhaupt, etc. are some of the more memorable ones.

Certainly if you're going to take a risk on a recruit with few offers, it's good to do it with someone who has a lot of speed. I just think that with the transfer portal now, it doesn't make as much sense to take so many of these risks.

With Barnes being a DB, I don't see how his straight-line 100m speed will matter that much. How often do DBs run in a straight line, unless they get beat and have to try to catch a receiver from behind?

Yes, previous poster was exactly right. This prospect has no business getting a Neb. scholarship and is a reach/project obviously. Anyone with an ounce of brain can see that.

This class is full of them. However, this is common for a transition class and the vast majority of these prospects will transfer out with 1-2 yrs. I can report that Rhule and co. are already targeting higher rated and immediate contributor prospects going forward. The reaches in this class is not uncommon in a transition class, but one thing that IS unique about this class in particular is the sheer number. We'll see in a couple years if that was the right decision
And who F - - K Are you and what the heck do you know ? I believe you came from the open board….

You must be referring to Brice Turner,Jaylen Lyoyd, Kwinten Ives, and Jeremiah Charles who all have been given scholarships with their athleticism and speed…
I’m just as jacked as anyone about this class and the job Rhule has been doing so far. But more than one of those guys will probably end up being reaches. The higher level of competition you go, the less your speed matters if that’s all you’ve got. The guys who also have strength and skill will make it to the top. Brice Turner is probably my favorite out of this group to fit that mold.

Reactions: scarletred
You wonder about some of these players, but like they say speed is the one thing you can’t teach. I’d rather be known as the coach looking for the fastest players I can get, rather than the coach who doesn’t care whether you fit or not. Rhule seems to be showing more interest in a kids potential, rather than a kids star rating. The star rating route didn’t work so well with Frost, let’s try this.,

You wonder about some of these players, but like they say speed is the one thing you can’t teach. I’d rather be known as the coach looking for the fastest players I can get, rather than the coach who doesn’t care whether you fit or not. Rhule seems to be showing more interest in a kids potential, rather than a kids star rating. The star rating route didn’t work so well with Frost, let’s try this.,
To be fair, I don’t think many things were going to work with Frost. He probably goes 5-7 with his staff and TCU’s roster.

Frost had enough talent here to almost beat Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc. in 2021. He was just a choke artist that found a way to lose every close game.

And who F - - K Are you and what the heck do you know ? I believe you came from the open board….
I'm a national recruiting analyst who has many years experience in evaluating HS and JUCO football players across the country. I don't know what the Open Board is but if I can share some expertise there as well, I'd certainly consider it. I'm glad I was able to clarify for you. Thanks

Iowa sucks.

I'm a national recruiting analyst who has many years experience in evaluating HS and JUCO football players across the country. I don't know what the Open Board is but if I can share some expertise there as well, I'd certainly consider it. I'm glad I was able to clarify for you. Thanks
Your “expertise” is in, “Would you like to make it a combo meal today, Sir, or Ma’am?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT