ADVERTISEMENT

Cut the cord today...

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
I finally got sick of the yearly run around of having to call Directv and get my bill to a respectable number. So I just all out canceled it. Thinking of going with YouTube TV. Is that the right call?

I have youtube tv and love it for sports. Sounds like the have some issues with Fox sports right now and unaware if resolved.

I finally got sick of the yearly run around of having to call Directv and get my bill to a respectable number. So I just all out canceled it. Thinking of going with YouTube TV. Is that the right call?
I would go cheap right now. Maybe Philo or Sling Orange or Blue will get you through the next few months with no sports in the foreseeable future. No contracts. You can always switch to a better package down the road.

If it were me, I would be tempted to try having no live TV for a while. Amazon Fire Recast will send your antenna signal across your wifi and has free DVR as well. You can get 30+ free channels in eastern Nebraska. Add in Crackle, Pluto (both free) and you still haven't spent a dime yet in monthly subscriptions.

Reactions: pahusker139

If you want/like the Royals, YTTB is no longer carrying FSKC. Gotta go with Hulu Live. If that’s not an issue, YTTV is better overall.

YouTube TV is a solid alternative. We cut the cord from Cox almost a year ago, never looked back! Took in all our cable boxes, cords, remotes and said goodbye!

$50/month, no contracts, no equipment needed (for smart TVs), free DVD, local stations, good sports channels, and can watch on any smart TV, laptop, cell phone, tablet within seconds. So I can also sit at my work and watch TV anytime on my computer (or cell phone).

The only con I've seen with YouTube TV is that the quality of the picture is not as strong. Still HD quality, just a tiny bit more fuzzy. Def not a deal breaker though!

Most services offer a few trial. So we tried it while having Cox still. After two days, we were sold...

Last edited:
I just cut the cord too. I went with Youtube tv and a Firestick since my five year old smart tv didn't support it. Pluto Tv sucks so don't depend on it if you want any real channels. Youtube tv is pretty damn good considering it don't cost crap compared to what I was paying before. The only channel I don't get anymore that matters is Paramount(Spike) which has Yellowstone. I am tech savvy enough to find that show online when it comes back on. I don't have Disney and found The Mandelorian no problem. That was pretty damn good.

For those of you that have gone with YouTube TV, what internet provider and internet speed do you have. I’m new to Lincoln and am interested in getting the most optimal setup.

Cut the cord on cable TV a couple of years ago and I don't miss it at all. If there's a live sporting event that I want to see I'll just go down to the sports bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic and tpmcg
its not a bad feeling to find out how much you can live without.
i hear about all the series people stream and enjoy and i wonder sometimes if i might like them, but in the end i dont care.

I finally got tired of Directv too. Left last month. Signed up with YouTube TV. Has all the sports channels I need. I don’t think the remote works as well with YouTube, but I can live with it.

We finally dropped DirecTV for the same reason and went with YouTube TV, used a Google Chromecast on the older smart TV's that did not have it built in.

Added bonus: you can have 3 simultaneous logins. We share the login with a pair of adult age kids now longer at home.

No contracts ... local stations included ... no regrets!

I keep Spectrum (Time Warner) for cable internet. Uncapped, fast and reliable. I had PlayStation Vue for four years until they ceased operations at the end of January. I have not replaced it yet. No sports on and I have a huge repository on my file server. I've got Plex Server set up and can stream the content to any of my devices (TV, Desktop, Tablet, Phone). I have a feeling that this corona virus thing will drag out into the football season. I've got OTA for each of my TVs if I want to catch local news. But really, I've been enjoying the quiet. That and a lot of YouTube!

If I were you OP, I'd just try a free week of each streaming provider (YTTV, Hulu, Sling, Disney+, etc.) and decide after you've seen each one. Just remember to cancel your subscription before the free trial ends.

Hulu is good. Direct TV is a joke. Wish I would have bailed a long time ago. Way overpriced and unreliable. Also wanted to charge me $99 to come fox THEIR system that didn’t work.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
For those of you that have gone with YouTube TV, what internet provider and internet speed do you have. I’m new to Lincoln and am interested in getting the most optimal setup.
Go with Allo. Fiber internet. Believe 400 or 500mbps is standard. Fast enough for 99 percent of people.
Think about their upgraded wifi router if you have a large house.

I finally got tired of Directv too. Left last month. Signed up with YouTube TV. Has all the sports channels I need. I don’t think the remote works as well with YouTube, but I can live with it.

Going to cut my Prism cord, and Youtube appears to be the leader in the clubhouse to replace it, but what do you mean by remote?? Does youtube have it's own remote or do you use the remote that came with your TV???

Anyone....Bueller....

I had youtubetv and liked it. I cancelled after football season as I can't afford doing it an entire year. I will renew when/if football season starts again. They have all sorts of movies you can binge watch from the past few years on the platform's movie channels so there is content there besides sports.

Life without youtube...The free channels and tv platforms that I can add from the basic free Roku platform can keep a person more than entertained provided your not looking for sports. You get old movies and you have to watch commercials but it works okay. Don't get local news which is a bit of drawback. Good think I can do over the air for that.

Make sure you consider your setup before purchasing. Like how much bandwith you get and to what type of tv your streaming. Do you have wireless or direct connect and does your wireless have a good signal line.

Also I have a roku Stick+. I like that but I don't know how to turn off auto play. It can autoplay a whole series even though the tv is off and your streaming remote has been turned 'off'. I had to plug my tv into a powerstrip and turn that off to turn off the stick. I think the console option doesn't have this issue.

I use the remote that came with the streaming stick. It works fine.

I think I saw something where fox&youtube came to an agreement and Royals are back on midwest fox sports?

Last edited:
Going to cut my Prism cord, and Youtube appears to be the leader in the clubhouse to replace it, but what do you mean by remote?? Does youtube have it's own remote or do you use the remote that came with your TV???

Anyone....Bueller....

No it just uses the remote that comes with your TV. I just thought it was easier to navigate and use the guide with the Directv remote than using just a standard remote. Maybe I need to look into buying a better remote.

If you want/like the Royals, YTTB is no longer carrying FSKC. Gotta go with Hulu Live. If that’s not an issue, YTTV is better overall.
Not true currently, they reached a settlement and FSKC is carried. For all the good it does right now! I love YTTV, much prefer the interface to Hulu Live.

I love youtubetv but still need Comcast for internet. I hate Comcast and no other options

We had spectrum for a long time. Their best package doesn’t even compare to Allo.

Reactions: Okhusk
images

Working from home and so is my wife. Upgraded to Cox gigablast and used 270GB data in last couple of weeks for videoconferencing and streaming TV. Have YouTube TV and Roku Premier Plus for several televisions and watch Amazon Prime. Using kids Netflix account too. No more buffering with WiFi but pricey at $160/mo for internet and $50/mo for YTTV.

When I was in Omaha I signed up for CenturyLink fiber service for like $75 a month or whatever it was for a gig. That was close to ten years ago now they rolled that out, pretty much solely in NW Omaha.

I have Fios gig internet now, so its been 10 years that I've had fiber gig service. Can't beat it.

Does anyone know if you can get an upgraded sports package with YouTube TV? Like pay an extra $10 a month and get more sports channels? or is that not an option? Obviously not now but just curios for when sports do come back on? Thanks

I just paid my DTV bill this AM and said why?? Logged on here and this topic was on top. It’s a sign. So long DTV
Did you call to cancel service yet? They will make it hard! I told them “look, I’m gonna save us both a lot of time here. You could offer it to me for free but I refuse to enter any new contracts.” That was the end of the fantastic offers.

My family just started with YouTube TV and I highly recommend it. Gives you everything directv did and it’s much cheaper

I have been happy with Hulu. I gave YouTube a try as well, can’t remember why I liked Hulu more, but it has been a year with Hulu!!

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I have Hulu, had Directv and got rid of them cause of price. They still call me wanting offer me deals and when I tell them I am not with Directv they want to know why and if I am sure am no longer a customer. Amazing.

Did you call to cancel service yet? They will make it hard! I told them “look, I’m gonna save us both a lot of time here. You could offer it to me for free but I refuse to enter any new contracts.” That was the end of the fantastic offers.

I did yesterday. He tried a bit nothing crazy. They have called twice already. I have been with DTV since 01. Would need to be $50 a month for me to stay

Not true currently, they reached a settlement and FSKC is carried. For all the good it does right now! I love YTTV, much prefer the interface to Hulu Live.

I thought I saw that FSKC (and one other Fox regional) were dropped in the new settlement/agreement. We live in Lincoln and we don't get any FSKC right now (and we used to). I hope you are right, but fear that's not the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT