ADVERTISEMENT

Current roster breakdown

Its surprising to see so few DL walkons including the edge guys. Our depth is not great there. Defense as a whole eats up a lot of schollies. 76% of the roster is on scholarship as opposed to 63% of our offense. Seems like we could maybe move a couple walkon OL over for added depth. But what do I know?

Its surprising to see so few DL walkons including the edge guys. Our depth is not great there. Defense as a whole eats up a lot of schollies. 76% of the roster is on scholarship as opposed to 63% of our offense. Seems like we could maybe move a couple walkon OL over for added depth. But what do I know?
We have quite a few edge walk ons already on the roster.

Not according to the twitter roster breakdown. 4 total edge players. 3 on scholly. Maybe it's wrong but thats what its showing.
There were a bunch more walk on edge guys as of a month ago listed on Huskers.com 23 Roster. Maybe some have quit but I would take any roster listing with a grain of salt right now. Things are going to be pretty fluid until school starts next fall. I’m not sure that the roster you looked at includes high school recruits until they enroll.

Reactions: cavalot
I love this concept of "Depth". I've been a serious Husker fan since the late 1960s and I can count on one hand the number of players who are 4th and above on the depth chart who have been pressed into significant service or played anything in a given year beyond scout team and garbage time (excluding Special Teams). Honestly, the only time anything significant like this happened is when Matt Turman had to take over for Berringer, who took over for Frazier in 1994, and Turman was the 3rd string QB, a position where you really can't take a player who's a great athlete from another position to play.

For example, if we have 3 hands on the ground DLs and they are say, 4 deep in each spot. If 2 players get hurt in one spot, then the 3rd guy doesn't play, but rather one of the 2nd guys from the other 2 spots. Most position groups are more like the first team players, then the next best player at the position group for all of the positions in that group. So in that light, as far as the 22 starters (not including ST), you never really get past 35 or so players playing in any one game unless it's a blowout, and that's mostly because of the WR, TE, RB, and DL rotations.

The depth talked about here are developing players who will get into the upper tier in subsequent years.

I would think the number of defensive interior linemen used on any given play will be 2-3. Last year NU pretty much rotated Ty, Nash, Feist and Wynn. Drew got some snaps as well. NU has the following scholarship guys that are not true freshman: Buckley, Jeudy, Hutmacher, Robinson and Wynn.
NU can go heavy with Ty, Nash and Wynn, or go with 2 DL and 2 Edge guys on passing downs. Sherman, Butler, Borders and Gunnerson all can play. I think there are plenty of players to cover needs.

I love this concept of "Depth". I've been a serious Husker fan since the late 1960s and I can count on one hand the number of players who are 4th and above on the depth chart who have been pressed into significant service or played anything in a given year beyond scout team and garbage time (excluding Special Teams). Honestly, the only time anything significant like this happened is when Matt Turman had to take over for Berringer, who took over for Frazier in 1994, and Turman was the 3rd string QB, a position where you really can't take a player who's a great athlete from another position to play.

For example, if we have 3 hands on the ground DLs and they are say, 4 deep in each spot. If 2 players get hurt in one spot, then the 3rd guy doesn't play, but rather one of the 2nd guys from the other 2 spots. Most position groups are more like the first team players, then the next best player at the position group for all of the positions in that group. So in that light, as far as the 22 starters (not including ST), you never really get past 35 or so players playing in any one game unless it's a blowout, and that's mostly because of the WR, TE, RB, and DL rotations.

The depth talked about here are developing players who will get into the upper tier in subsequent years.
Except when the talent isn't great at the top. Then the depth with regards to younger players is vital. We are lacking both.

Reactions: donm1330
One thing I like about Rhule he will move players from position to position it doesn't matter whether it's defense to offense or offense to defense. I listened to the interview on Bussin with the boys and he's even taken TE's and moved them to the line which I imagine is a long term project.

One thing I like about Rhule he will move players from position to position it doesn't matter whether it's defense to offense or offense to defense. I listened to the interview on Bussin with the boys and he's even taken TE's and moved them to the line which I imagine is a long term project.
Taking a 260 lb TE and making them 290lb OT could happen in an off season with the right commitment. Let’s not fool ourselves in to thinking 300 lb OTs are a bunch of guys with a sub 5% body fat.

Current DL Roster per Rivals as of today. Looks like plenty of bodies. Not sure what the Tweet was referring to with regards to Interior DL

Defensive Line​

NoPlayerPosHtWt (lbs)AgeYrHometown
15Jake ApplegetDE6' 4"220 lbsFreshman HSLincoln, Nebraska
63Ru'Quan BuckleyDL6' 6"290 lbsFreshman HSWyoming, Michigan
10Jimari ButlerDE6' 5"245 lbsFreshman HSMobile, Alabama
0Vincent Carroll-JacksonDL6' 5"285 lbsFreshman HSHarrisburg, Pennsylvania
91Devin DrewDL6' 2"280 lbsSenior 3VKansas City, Missouri
82Colton FeistDL6' 2"275 lbsJunior 2VYutan, Nebraska
97Blaise GunnersonDE6' 6"250 lbsFreshman HSCarroll, Iowa
80Jacob HerbekDL6' 5"260 lbsSophomore 1VGrand Island, Nebraska
72Nash HutmacherDL6' 4"330 lbsSophomore 1VOacoma, South Dakota
0Elijah JeudyDL6' 3"275 lbsFreshman HSPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
51Braden KloverDE6' 2"225 lbsFreshman HSWymore, Nebraska
0Jason MaciejczakDL6' 4"320 lbsFreshman HSPierre, South Dakota
32Ochaun MathisDE6' 5"260 lbsJunior 2VManor, Texas
52Mosai NewsomDT6' 5"285 lbsSophomore 1VWaverly, Iowa
34Simon OtteDE6' 2"205 lbsJunior 2VYork, Nebraska
99Ty RobinsonDT6' 6"310 lbsSophomore 1VGilbert, Arizona
87Brodie TagaloaDT6' 3"260 lbsFreshman HSPittsburg, California
2Caleb TannorDE6' 3"220 lbsSenior 3VStone Mountain, Georgia
0Riley Van PoppelDL6' 4"270 lbsFreshman HSArgyle, Texas
50Jailen WeaverDT6' 8"345 lbsFreshman HSAntioch, California
90Stephon Wynn Jr.DT6' 3"305 lbsJunior 2VAnderson, South Carolina

I don't think Rhule is going to take upper classmen who are undersized and turn them into all world OT/OG. He may look at FR/RF or SO and see a kid who could turn into a very good player down the road with the right strength and conditioning. jmo

Current DL Roster per Rivals as of today. Looks like plenty of bodies. Not sure what the Tweet was referring to with regards to Interior DL

Defensive Line​

NoPlayerPosHtWt (lbs)AgeYrHometown
15Jake ApplegetDE6' 4"220 lbsFreshman HSLincoln, Nebraska
63Ru'Quan BuckleyDL6' 6"290 lbsFreshman HSWyoming, Michigan
10Jimari ButlerDE6' 5"245 lbsFreshman HSMobile, Alabama
0Vincent Carroll-JacksonDL6' 5"285 lbsFreshman HSHarrisburg, Pennsylvania
91Devin DrewDL6' 2"280 lbsSenior 3VKansas City, Missouri
82Colton FeistDL6' 2"275 lbsJunior 2VYutan, Nebraska
97Blaise GunnersonDE6' 6"250 lbsFreshman HSCarroll, Iowa
80Jacob HerbekDL6' 5"260 lbsSophomore 1VGrand Island, Nebraska
72Nash HutmacherDL6' 4"330 lbsSophomore 1VOacoma, South Dakota
0Elijah JeudyDL6' 3"275 lbsFreshman HSPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
51Braden KloverDE6' 2"225 lbsFreshman HSWymore, Nebraska
0Jason MaciejczakDL6' 4"320 lbsFreshman HSPierre, South Dakota
32Ochaun MathisDE6' 5"260 lbsJunior 2VManor, Texas
52Mosai NewsomDT6' 5"285 lbsSophomore 1VWaverly, Iowa
34Simon OtteDE6' 2"205 lbsJunior 2VYork, Nebraska
99Ty RobinsonDT6' 6"310 lbsSophomore 1VGilbert, Arizona
87Brodie TagaloaDT6' 3"260 lbsFreshman HSPittsburg, California
2Caleb TannorDE6' 3"220 lbsSenior 3VStone Mountain, Georgia
0Riley Van PoppelDL6' 4"270 lbsFreshman HSArgyle, Texas
50Jailen WeaverDT6' 8"345 lbsFreshman HSAntioch, California
90Stephon Wynn Jr.DT6' 3"305 lbsJunior 2VAnderson, South Carolina
There are five upperclassmen at Edge and five upperclassmen at DL. I believe that is sufficient.

There are five upperclassmen at Edge and five upperclassmen at DL. I believe that is sufficient.
Im more of a quality over quantity guy though. And those 10 aren't real solid. Several of them should be nothing more than depth.

another visual breakdown of the roster (not sure if completely accurate)

FnfOY97WIAMWdIq

another visual breakdown of the roster (not sure if completely accurate)

FnfOY97WIAMWdIq
Exactly my point about depth at the DL. 5 freshman. included in the 11 player headcount. That is not good. Freshman along the OL/DL usually aren't solid contributors at any level. How many of those on the DL actually have meaningful playing minutes? Hutmatcher and Robinson? And the edge according to this is really lacking depth. This depth chart looks way different then what has been discussed in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT