ADVERTISEMENT

Curious about the OL

Based on PFF, Corcoran has given up the most QB pressures in the country at 20 while only playing 49 pass pro plays.
Benhart is #11 giving up 12 pressures in 55 pass pro plays. (*as the #plays don’t match Adrian’s 99 attempts they may only count when they’re 1 vs 1 and filter out screens or something?).

The specific numbers are not as important as the simple indicator that they’re not doing well.

Corcoran being a RS Frosh coming off injury in the fall has been put in a tough spot. I won’t pass any judgement on his potential.
It does however fall on the coaches to find players who can get the job done each year.

Add to this the fact that Piper has been brutal while Sichterman has joined the poor performance club plenty.
Hope we see marked improvement starting Saturday.
#coachingmatters
…sorry if this is beating the ol’ deceased horse
No, this is a couple of brutal examples of WHY this OL coach and others need to be sent packing. Where are the damn analyst at?

This is a clear example of the reality that SF came here and was given full authority to do as he pleases, the overall team be damned.

I really don't like dogging the kids, but I am guilty of it. The ability to make an NFL roster by 2 OL last year point out the lousy coaching they received here.
I'm not blaming Piper, Sicht, Corcoran or Benhart for lack of effort.

I'm blaming the coaches for lack of teaching these kids. The style of blocking is tailor made for getting your fanny whipped by the guy across from you.

I've been on a diatribe since I became a member a couple weeks ago. Why can't these coaches see that the gigantic issue with the OL is the blocking technique, and the allowing of poor production by 80% of the offensive line is a ticket out of here?

With the dough those coaches are paid, you would think they would have made multiple changes by now. I'm hopeful NU will make at least 1 more change this week and then another next week, and maybe the OL can begin to stabilize and then start to become a unit.

Those type of numbers by Corcoran say play Teddy. When the numbers indicate that you're almost a sieve at LT, then you gotta try someone else.

Then a move at RG to Noulli and NU has a chance to improve. One piece of the puzzle at a time is okay, but NU is 1/3rd of the way through the season, so the time to go is now.

Again guys, I apologize for this near-rant. It's frustrating when it has become so clear to so many guys on this topic. And my way is not the only way, others have made excellent observations. If Austin, Frost, etal get sent packing after another bad year, there will be no sympathy from me.

Banks is a disaster. Noulli should be in the plans until proven otherwise. Other than that, this is what I wrote about over a week ago.
If Banks is a disaster, what makes you think Noulli is any better? You are essentially saying the coaches don't know the right person to play and you do? Another case of the reserve being held up as the answer with no data to prove it. How did that turn out at QB last year?

If Banks is a disaster, what makes you think Noulli is any better? You are essentially saying the coaches don't know the right person to play and you do? Another case of the reserve being held up as the answer with no data to prove it. How did that turn out at QB last year?
First of all, I don't answer strawman questions.

I'm saying that Austin is completely out of his element in the Big Ten. I'm saying that SF has shown no ability or detail work in assessing aspects of his football team. The numbers show that everywhere you look on the offensive side of the ball.

If you want to play big boy football, you put the best player in the best SPOT.
That's not revolutionary thinking.

Maybe, moving Corcoran to the opposite tackle spot would suit him better, maybe not. There's little question that majority of defenses will have their stud end at RE. So, in theory Corcoran is facing the best pass rusher every game we play. If he can't handle them, maybe he can handle the other side.

Why not find out? If, as a coach, you have a preconceived idea of a player being able to do this, and he can't, then try him on the opposite side. He's a talented young player with a lot of potential. Maybe instead of hurting you on the left side he helps you on the right side?

I'm sorry you and I don't agree. I don't propose to know it all. Its abundantly clear that the OL and the ST are the main reasons why this team has and will continue fail to reach its potential.

I'm saying that Austin is completely out of his element in the Big Ten. I'm saying that SF has shown no ability or detail work in assessing aspects of his football team. The numbers show that everywhere you look on the offensive side of the ball.

Maybe, moving Corcoran to the opposite tackle spot would suit him better, maybe not. There's little question that majority of defenses will have their stud end at RE. So, in theory Corcoran is facing the best pass rusher every game we play. If he can't handle them, maybe he can handle the other side.

Why not find out? If, as a coach, you have a preconceived idea of a player being able to do this, and he can't, then try him on the opposite side. He's a talented young player with a lot of potential. Maybe instead of hurting you on the left side he helps you on the right side?

I'm sorry you and I don't agree. I don't propose to know it all. Its abundantly clear that the OL and the ST are the main reasons why this team has and will continue fail to reach its potential.
Corcoran is a natural guard. They are doing him a huge disservice. They are married to 'best 5 guys' play above all else. Now that we know Teddy is up to the task, I think the lineup changes.

Corcoran is a natural guard. They are doing him a huge disservice. They are married to 'best 5 guys' play above all else. Now that we know Teddy is up to the task, I think the lineup changes.
I totally agree! Initially I said move Corcoran to LG, insert Teddy at LT, Cam at C, Noulli at RG and then we still have a problem at RT with Benhart, but 3 and possibly 4 positions that have great potential.

You said who should be playing and repeated it in this post. Don't give me the strawman line, I quoted you!

Since you are a recent addition to this forum, you get a small break. I have been critical of our OL technique for at least 3 years. The school of thought, we just needed to get Frosts type of players in there. Well, these are all Frost players and the same coach. We keep seeing the same problems, having done some low level HS coaching, they are pretty glaring to me.

All that said, randomly saying to replace this guy with that guy assumes you know who is best. I don't assume that, but I can comment on technique, or the lack of it, from our OL. Think about what you are saying. Frost is playing the wrong guys and you know who he should be playing. In the end, they all receive the same coaching.

Your answer to the problem is just that Frost and Austin aren't plying the right people in the right places. Talk about a strawman argument! You make it with those propositions.

You said who should be playing and repeated it in this post. Don't give me the strawman line, I quoted you!

Since you are a recent addition to this forum, you get a small break. I have been critical of our OL technique for at least 3 years. The school of thought, we just needed to get Frosts type of players in there. Well, these are all Frost players and the same coach. We keep seeing the same problems, having done some low level HS coaching, they are pretty glaring to me.

All that said, randomly saying to replace this guy with that guy assumes you know who is best. I don't assume that, but I can comment on technique, or the lack of it, from our OL. Think about what you are saying. Frost is playing the wrong guys and you know who he should be playing. In the end, they all receive the same coaching.

Your answer to the problem is just that Frost and Austin aren't plying the right people in the right places. Talk about a strawman argument! You make it with those propositions.
The one thing that I do not like about an offense that uses a ton of RPO is that it puts the OL at a disadvantage or at least puts them in a bit of conflict and could cause them to not block the play well. When the OL knows the play is going to be a handoff, in a power type offense, they can pin or they can drive block 2 or 3 yards down field. When the QB can keep the ball, fake the handoff and roll out and throw, bootleg and throw, the OL simply cant power off the line and blow a guy 3 yards down the field. I have seen at least 3 call of ineligible down field this season, in games where the offense runs a zone read offense and the QB has an option to throw.

While Nebraska's offensive line may not be young in age, it is definitely young in experience.

Not making excuses, it is part of the offense, but there is a nuance to blocking in this type of offense that comes with experience.

I am not qualified to argue who should be playing in the O line and who shouldn't. I'm not qualified to determine whether it's Austin's fault or it's the scheme. All I know and it's obvious to everyone, is that our O line isn't getting the job done. No doubt this fact is being evaluated and will be evaluated by our AD. At this point in time, I think Frost probably gets retained but there will have to be some staff adjustments. We've got too many assistants who COULD be coaching QBs and don't have a designated special teams coordintor who has any expertise in coaching kickers. Something has to change.

We had Jaimes, Farniok and Boe Wilson last year. The results look about the same.
Wilson was benched by the end of the year in favor of a freshman. There is no doubt that something has to change with our O line. It's either the scheme or the coaching and if it's the scheme it's still the coaching.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I am not qualified to argue who should be playing in the O line and who shouldn't. I'm not qualified to determine whether it's Austin's fault or it's the scheme. All I know and it's obvious to everyone, is that our O line isn't getting the job done. No doubt this fact is being evaluated and will be evaluated by our AD. At this point in time, I think Frost probably gets retained but there will have to be some staff adjustments. We've got too many assistants who COULD be coaching QBs and don't have a designated special teams coordintor who has any expertise in coaching kickers. Something has to change.
Why should Frost be retained?

Why should Frost be retained?
Money and he's a favorite son. IF he weren't a former Husker and if he still didn't have the support of Tom and the boosters that matter, the money probably wouldn't stand in the way. Make no mistake though, IF he weren't former Husker Scott Frost, he probably wouldn't have gotten that last extension. I think the buyout is a real toe stubber. We're in deep on the new projects and the loss of revenue from last year.

Noulli was know as being an aggressive OL when he transferred, and I highly doubt he's slower than Sichterman. So he has the speed and aggression this OL sorely lacks. I'd be surprised if he wasn't an instant upgrade at that spot.

Reactions: headcard
I totally agree! Initially I said move Corcoran to LG, insert Teddy at LT, Cam at C, Noulli at RG and then we still have a problem at RT with Benhart, but 3 and possibly 4 positions that have great potential.
I think that's a lineup that might just save Frost. If we truly have one of our best receiving units, if AM and our defense is truly as good as people say, we should be able to win a lot of games with improved OL play. We should be shooting for 8 or 9 wins yet. 6 wins is a joke.

strawman is the QB question

My point was that the post I made was specifically the OL and the players within the OL. Please show me anywhere in the post where I was talking about QB. That is what I meant.

And aggressive OL play in a zone blocking system is probably why he isn't playing more.

Aggressive play also gets 15 yard penalties for playing past the whistle
Aggressive play also gets unsportsman like penaties for late hits
Aggressive play also gets targeting calls.

Reactions: dinglefritz
And aggressive OL play in a zone blocking system is probably why he isn't playing more.

Thanks Tuco.

So kinda like Cam Saturday? It won't cost him any snaps.

If Cam's play over this season, for example, is consistent good play with a glitch or two for being too aggressive, as a fan, I'll gladly take it. Now if it gets to be a habit, that's another thing.

Just a hypothetical because I respect your opinions. IF we had Dominic Raiola in this zone blocking scheme, would you take him? Please understand, not in this Universe is any of our guard now or ever going to be Dominic.

Please let me know if I misinterpreted your post.

Thanks Tuco.

So kinda like Cam Saturday? It won't cost him any snaps.

If Cam's play over this season, for example, is consistent good play with a glitch or two for being too aggressive, as a fan, I'll gladly take it. Now if it gets to be a habit, that's another thing.

Just a hypothetical because I respect your opinions. IF we had Dominic Raiola in this zone blocking scheme, would you take him? Please understand, not in this Universe is any of our guard now or ever going to be Dominic.

Please let me know if I misinterpreted your post.
It is my understanding that a zone blocking scheme is more "team" blocking. The point is to create a crease for the RB. That is why the calls are simple inside zone. There isn't a specific hole to open up, like the some offenses use when they designate the back with a number and the hole with a number like a 23 iso or 35 counter.

If one OL is overly aggressive and tries to do too much or doesn't chip the DT before moving to the second level and the LB or S. He could blow the play up. If the aggressive OL, takes the the DT three yards down field and the QB decides to keep the ball on the read and then hit the WR on a slant, the play could be penalized with an ineligible receiver downfield penalty.

I don't have a problem with aggressive OL play, I am just saying from what I read, and see, many of the zone blocking schemes aren't designed for over aggressive play and are dependent on assignment blocking and not as much on blowing guys off the LOS.

It is my understanding that a zone blocking scheme is more "team" blocking. The point is to create a crease for the RB. That is why the calls are simple inside zone. There isn't a specific hole to open up, like the some offenses use when they designate the back with a number and the hole with a number like a 23 iso or 35 counter.

If one OL is overly aggressive and tries to do too much or doesn't chip the DT before moving to the second level and the LB or S. He could blow the play up. If the aggressive OL, takes the the DT three yards down field and the QB decides to keep the ball on the read and then hit the WR on a slant, the play could be penalized with an ineligible receiver downfield penalty.

I don't have a problem with aggressive OL play, I am just saying from what I read, and see, many of the zone blocking schemes aren't designed for over aggressive play and are dependent on assignment blocking and not as much on blowing guys off the LOS.
Thanks. I'm not a fan of RPO. I think it puts the OL in no man's land.
I do think a OL coach puts his players in techniques that can work for that specific opponent.

Two examples, and I'm going way back. NU played Penn State probably 70's or 80's and they had Bruce Clark and Matt Millen. Both 400# or 500# bench pressers and a really tough Paterno defense.

Tom and Milt had the OL just crab roll or something to that effect, they were mainly going after the legs of those guys. It worked, NU moved the ball and won. I remember after the game Clark and Millen bitching about "all they did was keep coming after our legs." Tom and Milt did whatever it took.

Then prior to the Miami game in '95, Tom told Milt to switch one of his guards from RG to LG. He was the best guard and he was opposite Sapp. True, there was a month to prepare. Again, the coaches changed a scheme or a blocking technique to take away another teams strength.

In my world, a warrior uses all weapons at his disposal.

Cam looked fantastic at times against Oklahoma. I hope he plays like that all the time and consistently pushes defenders around.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thanks. I'm not a fan of RPO. I think it puts the OL in no man's land.
I do think a OL coach puts his players in techniques that can work for that specific opponent.

Two examples, and I'm going way back. NU played Penn State probably 70's or 80's and they had Bruce Clark and Matt Millen. Both 400# or 500# bench pressers and a really tough Paterno defense.

Tom and Milt had the OL just crab roll or something to that effect, they were mainly going after the legs of those guys. It worked, NU moved the ball and won. I remember after the game Clark and Millen bitching about "all they did was keep coming after our legs." Tom and Milt did whatever it took.

Then prior to the Miami game in '95, Tom told Milt to switch one of his guards from RG to LG. He was the best guard and he was opposite Sapp. True, there was a month to prepare. Again, the coaches changed a scheme or a blocking technique to take away another teams strength.

In my world, a warrior uses all weapons at his disposal.
Rpo is such a stupid concept, especially for college athletes to try to pull off. Any scheme that puts your own guys in conflict on their responsibilities is a bad scheme in my opinion. And to have that conflict be that half your offense might not know if the play will be a run or pass is beyond stupid.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Rpo is such a stupid concept, especially for college athletes to try to pull off. Any scheme that puts your own guys in conflict on their responsibilities is a bad scheme in my opinion. And to have that conflict be that half your offense might not know if the play will be a run or pass is beyond stupid.
I don't think any of the Top 5 teams run an RPO. I know ND doesn't, Ohio State doesn't. I know there are others. You'd think I'd pay more attention since I watch college football from 11 a.m. till midnight every Saturday. Give me hell, I deserve it.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
Wilson was benched by the end of the year in favor of a freshman. There is no doubt that something has to change with our O line. It's either the scheme or the coaching and if it's the scheme it's still the coaching.
I believe if we had a different coaching staff with a different scheme (like Tom Osborne's) we would get back to winning and thus start again attracting good recruits. We may have a short window since the '22 group looks like the worst in many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
So I went to the roster to check out the stats. This was eye opening for me.

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

I do not know the players well enough to know who is playing but with the lack of upper classmen leadership it hurts developement of players. Players push players and hold each other accountable. The lack of upper classmen shows.
For the sake of comparison, Iowa’s rotation consists of 1 senior, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores 1 RS freshman and 1 true freshman

I believe if we had a different coaching staff with a different scheme (like Tom Osbourne's) we would get back to winning and thus start again attracting good recruits. We may have a short window since the '22 looks like the worst in many years.
Those are good points. I'm not trying to compare TO and Milt to this group.

Tom was working with years of development of the Pipeline. We know he believed in physical football and the recruiting and walk-on program fed those physical linemen into the system.

SF has a start, but this zone blocking scheme, in conjunction with RPO, reflects nothing that should work in the Big Ten and beyond. You can recruit big guys, but they need to be physical and they gotta be able to move.

I wouldn't doubt right now NU has 3 of the slowest footed starting OL's in forever. Keep on rocking Catch, I'm becoming borderline anal retentive, and almost annoying myself. As Jeb Bush would say, "please don't clap."

Reactions: Catch50
I believe if we had a different coaching staff with a different scheme (like Tom Osbourne's) we would get back to winning and thus start again attracting good recruits. We may have a short window since the '22 looks like the worst in many years.
Tom Osbourne. Is he Ozzie's brother?

Every scheme or concept has the potential of putting your own guys in conflict.

This discussion always come down to the same thing. No matter how many threads or times this topic comes up.

Nebraska fan, some anyway, wants to run an offense they are familiar with. They believe that the only offense that will work is the power run with a QB that can run the ball first. They think this way because that is the only offense that has consistently won at Nebraska and because Tom Osborne chose to run it. However, that doesn’t mean that it is the only offense that CAN win at Nebraska.

Secondly the RPO doesn’t put the OLine in conflict, it puts Nebraska fan in conflict. They believe you have to push a guy 5 yards downfield in order to run the ball. They don’t equate blocking a guy in a zone blocking scheme as an effective form or blocking because there isn’t a man on man push you back concept to it. Chip Kelly teams had not problem competing OLine vs DLine against any opponents. They were beat in games because their defense wasn’t able to stop some offenses not because the offense couldn’t score points and effectively run the ball. The OLine has basically gets the same depth or advancement regardless of run or pass. By doing that, it should reduce the number of indicators or keys a defense can see to predict run or pass. And again not create conflict based on run or pass.

Reactions: WHCSC
Every scheme or concept has the potential of putting your own guys in conflict.

This discussion always come down to the same thing. No matter how many threads or times this topic comes up.

Nebraska fan, some anyway, wants to run an offense they are familiar with. They believe that the only offense that will work is the power run with a QB that can run the ball first. They think this way because that is the only offense that has consistently won at Nebraska and because Tom Osborne chose to run it. However, that doesn’t mean that it is the only offense that CAN win at Nebraska.

Secondly the RPO doesn’t put the OLine in conflict, it puts Nebraska fan in conflict. They believe you have to push a guy 5 yards downfield in order to run the ball. They don’t equate blocking a guy in a zone blocking scheme as an effective form or blocking because there isn’t a man on man push you back concept to it. Chip Kelly teams had not problem competing OLine vs DLine against any opponents. They were beat in games because their defense wasn’t able to stop some offenses not because the offense couldn’t score points and effectively run the ball. The OLine has basically gets the same depth or advancement regardless of run or pass. By doing that, it should reduce the number of indicators or keys a defense can see to predict run or pass. And again not create conflict based on run or pass.
No, not really. Not nearly to the extent that the rpo does, where several guys don't even know if the play is a run or a pass as the play is happening.

Where did I say that's the only offense that will work? I didn't say anything about this.

The RPO puts the whole damn offense in conflict. Unless your guys are extremely well coached and know exactly what they're doing, it's a terrible concept for college athletes to run.

If you're going to block like that, you better damn well have a running back who knows how to hit a cutback or find a hole opening up across the line. We haven't had a running back like that in the 4 years Frost has been here. And no, not every zone blocking scheme has the OL blocking in the backfield as they get pushed back by the DL.

Who was talking about Cam?
"Aggressive play also gets 15 yard penalties for playing past the whistle."

I'm pretty sure this is in reference to Cam. Btw, both of his penalties were ticky tack and shouldn't have been called. You saw several OU olineman doing the same thing throughout the game and never got called.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

And they're all bogus bs calls!¡!😉

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
"Aggressive play also gets 15 yard penalties for playing past the whistle."

I'm pretty sure this is in reference to Cam. Btw, both of his penalties were ticky tack and shouldn't have been called. You saw several OU olineman doing the same thing throughout the game and never got called.
So you are saying it wasn’t a penalty and ticky tack because it, in your mind, OU did the same thing and it wasn’t called on them?
So when you get a speeding ticket do you say, this is ticky tack judge, the F150 in front of me didn’t get pulled over, so I didn’t think it was illegal to speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT