ADVERTISEMENT

Curious about the OL

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
So I went to the roster to check out the stats. This was eye opening for me.

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

I do not know the players well enough to know who is playing but with the lack of upper classmen leadership it hurts developement of players. Players push players and hold each other accountable. The lack of upper classmen shows.

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

I do not know the players well enough to know who is playing but with the lack of upper classmen leadership it hurts developement of players. Players push players and hold each other accountable. The lack of upper classmen shows.

Pretty eye opening

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

All of those guys should be a year above what they are because of the covid rules. This excuse really needs to stop.

Sans Corcoran every o line starter on Saturday has been in the program 3+ years.

Not saying you are…but those citing youth as the reason for our Oline struggles are off their rocker. We had 2 senior tackles last year that are now playing in the NFL…yet our line was garbage.

We go thru this exercise every year. Preseason our Oline is loaded says the fans….will surely be better than the line last year. The only common denominator is a bad head coach and a offensive line coach who likely would not be getting very many other P5 offers.

I think we start Teddy and Also give Nouli a look. He looked a lot better than what we had. Shuffle it up and see what we need to do. Maybe Teddy, Corc, Jurgens, Hixon, and Banks to start.
Banks is a disaster. Noulli should be in the plans until proven otherwise. Other than that, this is what I wrote about over a week ago.

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

Hey the center has been a three year starter. Right tackle has been here for three years. Former starting left guard in the program three years. New left guard five years. Right guard in the program five years. Just because they don't have the title senior doesn't mean they haven't been around and have experience.

Hey the center has been a three year starter. Right tackle has been here for three years. Former starting left guard in the program three years. New left guard five years. Right guard in the program five years. Just because they don't have the title senior doesn't mean they haven't been around and have experience.
Collectively that group of 5 players has been in the program 19 years. This should be a decent unit by now, but its not.

Game experience is a big deal and last year wasn't nearly a normal year. That said, they've been underwhelming as a unit. I will note though that years ago that Brendan Stai said that it normally took the units he played in at NU and in the NFL 3-4 games to really gel and start playing well as a unit. We'll see. Left tackle was my main concern but clearly I should have been more worried by our guards. I think these guys are talented enough to win some games in the B1G even given the problems they've had. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Once again not using as an excuse. At that age a person 2 years older will be better able to use his strength to his advantage. Think about this for a minute, an OLine with 0 5th or 6th year Srs.

The defense has the seniors for it's line snd it shows.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Did I say it was an excuse... This is the same with all other schools as well. Stop putting words in my posts.

I found it intriguing.
Yes, your whole last paragraph is one giant excuse. Using words like "eye opening" makes it obvious that was your intent.

Frost said in the presser today that he thinks the OL is playing good football and all they need still with the run game is one more crease run.

The guy hates running the football.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Yes, your whole last paragraph is one giant excuse. Using words like "eye opening" makes it obvious that was your intent.
Are you confused? He used "eye opening" in the second sentence, not the last paragraph.

And can't "eye opening" pertain to a glaring coaching flaw with missing older classes? Someone stating something doesn't make it an excuse. Do you even know what the word means?

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

Reactions: headcard
Holy shit you’re as old as dirt like myself, real fans follow the team win or lose! Laughing
Different definitions of "fans." Been elated and broken down for Big Red football since '62. Was a young pup stationed in Oklahoma during the '72 and '73 seasons. Talked a lot of shit to the locals. You know how that turned out.

Different definitions of "fans." Been elated and broken down for Big Red football since '62. Was a young pup stationed in Oklahoma during the '72 and '73 seasons. Talked a lot of shit to the locals. You know how that turned out.
Stuart Lance was way before the 72 and 73 football seasons.. He played for the Huskers in 67-68 with Tom Scantleberry and Tom Baack and Leroy Chalk.

Stuart Lance was way before the 72 and 73 football seasons.. He played for the Huskers in 67-68 with Tom Scantleberry and Tom Baack and Leroy Chalk.
I know. Cip was the coach. And Chalk was the big 6'7" center. I've been a football fan since '62 and its always been my main obsession. Basketball never really did it for me. Different strokes. We just couldn't beat the Jayhawks and usually K State. I dreaded Jo Jo White when NU tried to press him. LOL
I did watch Cliff Meely at Colorado. I remember Nick Pino the 7'0" center for KState who couldn't dunk.

The last game I watched was the coach before Fred and NU had OSU beaten in the Big Ten tourney and they only played zone on inbounds plays and it cooked our goose, so I had enough.

I fell in love with Husker football, but as I tell my wife, I've been in an abusive relationship with this program for 2 decades. I feel betrayed but still can't divorce the program.

I also don't watch the NBA. Or NFL. I go from 11 a.m. to midnight every Saturday watching college football. That one is a non-threatening relationship.

Are you confused? He used "eye opening" in the second sentence, not the last paragraph.

And can't "eye opening" pertain to a glaring coaching flaw with missing older classes? Someone stating something doesn't make it an excuse. Do you even know what the word means?

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg
It's obvious the intent of his post was to blame youth to shift the blame from Austin. There's already other posters who've stated it more explicitly, and I have no doubt this poster's intent was the same. It's the only reason he uses words like "eye opening" and the statements he made in the last paragraph.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Collectively that group of 5 players has been in the program 19 years. This should be a decent unit by now, but its not.
Too lazy to look it up, but I'm guessing the Oline from Whispy and I_wa have been in their program longer than our guys. And to the other poster, the former NU players who graduated and are in the NFL were coached in a different system and different blocking schemes than most of the current YOUNG NU line, so there's that.

Sans Corcoran every o line starter on Saturday has been in the program 3+ years.

Not saying you are…but those citing youth as the reason for our Oline struggles are off their rocker. We had 2 senior tackles last year that are now playing in the NFL…yet our line was garbage.

We go thru this exercise every year. Preseason our Oline is loaded says the fans….will surely be better than the line last year. The only common denominator is a bad head coach and a offensive line coach who likely would not be getting very many other P5 offers.
He won’t get any D1 offers. Fixed it for you.

It's obvious the intent of his post was to blame youth to shift the blame from Austin. There's already other posters who've stated it more explicitly, and I have no doubt this poster's intent was the same. It's the only reason he uses words like "eye opening" and the statements he made in the last paragraph.
Once again I am so glad your ESPN is working so well to know what I am thinking... Can you guess what I am thinking now?????

My dad took me to the old Coliseum to watch Lance and Chalk play against Okie State. The most vivid memory I had of that experience on the old wooden bleachers was that fat bearded college kid who had really bad gas most likely from a trip to Taco Inn and too much beer the night before.....yikes he stunk.

Changes must be made. Same old, same old. Seen this movie before...

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

This shows that Frost is “special” and needs more time to put together his team. I let you decide the definition of “special”.

22 players on roster:
0 Srs.
3 Jrs.
10 Sophs.
9 Frosh.

We had Jaimes, Farniok and Boe Wilson last year. The results look about the same.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Based on PFF, Corcoran has given up the most QB pressures in the country at 20 while only playing 49 pass pro plays.
Benhart is #11 giving up 12 pressures in 55 pass pro plays. (*as the #plays don’t match Adrian’s 99 attempts they may only count when they’re 1 vs 1 and filter out screens or something?).

The specific numbers are not as important as the simple indicator that they’re not doing well.

Corcoran being a RS Frosh coming off injury in the fall has been put in a tough spot. I won’t pass any judgement on his potential.
It does however fall on the coaches to find players who can get the job done each year.

Add to this the fact that Piper has been brutal while Sichterman has joined the poor performance club plenty.
Hope we see marked improvement starting Saturday.
#coachingmatters
…sorry if this is beating the ol’ deceased horse

ADVERTISEMENT