ADVERTISEMENT

Cross him off the list.....

Anyone know why? And who are the coaches he deliberated with? If it was Hoiberg and staff did they tell him his PT would be down due to who will be eligible next year?

PS: I hate the transfer portal. Sue me.

Reactions: CBurns05
PS: I hate the transfer portal. Sue me.
It cuts both ways and will probably help us more than hurt us as Fred builds. But, I hate it too. I miss being able to see what a guy like Cross could be after three years in a program.

Reactions: headcard
I think this one stings a lot more than the other departures. I know he was overweight and struggled toward the end of the year, but he was one of the few (relative) bigs we had and seemed to have potential, especially once he gets in shape.

His reference to "coaches" could be high school?

Reading between the lines here...that’s has to be good news for Us getting both of these guys then...

wilhelm was ranked Top 30 something in the country at one point and is STILL ranked Top 30ish above Sanogo on ESPNs recruiting site.

You can only find playing time for so many guys, you need a few who are willing to practice hard and sit on the bench during games. Arop seems like a good candidate.

Reactions: headcard
I think this one hurts - seemed to me that he would be a really solid player for us going-forward.

I think this one hurts - seemed to me that he would be a really solid player for us going-forward.

my opinion is that it hurts if we don’t get both Wilhelm and Sanogo. If we get those two, it won’t sting much at all. Those two are big time players and they both play 4 and stretch 5s like Hoiberg likes to have.

Actually it’s sounding like Trevor Lakes, Fred Hoiberg and the Huskers are gaining mutual interest. That dudes big time and would be absolutely HUGE if we can get him. Dudes like Larry Bird from 3 point land and he stands 6’7. Here’s a 24/7 write up on him and yes, this was done before Lake and Hoiberg interest leaked out.

“Lakes averaged 15.7 points and 6.2 rebounds while shooting 40 percent from three on 254 attempts last season.

For his career, on 577 attempts, Lakes has converted 41 percent of his triples“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...Ball-State-Drake-sharp-shooter-145907772/Amp/

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Actually it’s sounding like Trevor Lakes, Fred Hoiberg and the Huskers are gaining mutual interest. That dudes big time and would be absolutely HUGE if we can get him. Dudes like Larry Bird from 3 point land and he stands 6’7. Here’s a 24/7 write up on him and yes, this was done before Lake and Hoiberg interest leaked out.

“Lakes averaged 15.7 points and 6.2 rebounds while shooting 40 percent from three on 254 attempts last season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...Ball-State-Drake-sharp-shooter-145907772/Amp/
Has to sit next season though.

Lakes only has one year of eligibility though. I don't think I'd trade 3 years of Cross for one year of Lakes. It is a massive jump in competition from D-II to the Big Ten.

For comparison, Drake Beranek tried the same thing - he was one of the top D-II players for 3 years, averaging 22 ppg and shooting 43% from 3 his last year at UNK. Transferred to Nebraska for his senior year and only scored 4 ppg and shot 31% from 3.

Lakes only has one year of eligibility though. I don't think I'd trade 3 years of Cross for one year of Lakes. It is a massive jump in competition from D-II to the Big Ten.

For comparison, Drake Beranek tried the same thing - he was one of the top D-II players for 3 years, averaging 22 ppg and shooting 43% from 3 his last year at UNK. Transferred to Nebraska for his senior year and only scored 4 ppg and shot 31% from 3.

right and I agree. I honestly doubt Hoiberg had Cross leave for Lakes but I do see him doing it for Adama Sanogo and/or Wilhelm Breidenboch.

right and I agree. I honestly doubt Hoiberg had Cross leave for Lakes but I do see him doing it for Adama Sanogo and/or Wilhelm Breidenboch.

I believe I read somewhere that Breidenbach is staying in the 2021 class. Sanogo won't decide until June or July:

Reading between the lines here...that’s has to be good news for Us getting both of these guys then...

wilhelm was ranked Top 30 something in the country at one point and is STILL ranked Top 30ish above Sanogo on ESPNs recruiting site.
It sounds like Breidenbach is leaning towards staying in the class of 2021. I believe that Sanogo is releasing his top 4 soon. NU thinks they stand a pretty good chance at getting him, but so does Seton Hall. I believe it could be month or two before we know on him.

I don't believe Cross was pushed out. I think that the coaches sat him down and were honest with him that they couldn't guarantee how much playing time he would get next year. I truly believe they would have been more than happy to keep him and everyone else on the roster. It is just a part of basketball today. A name that has popped up recently if NU had an opening is Trevor Lakes, who would be a D2 transfer. He's an interesting prospect. We've seen a couple guys end up here after transferring from lower levels. Drake Beranek and Andrew Drevo. Bearanek was so so, but Drevo turned out to be pretty good. We will see I guess.

Also, as far as roster management goes, I am ok with teams not filling their full allotment of scholarships so that there is room for guys who are mid season transfers. If NU wouldn't have had a spot open, Isaac Copeland would not have come here. With teams rarely going more than 9 or 10 deep in playing time and the way the transfer market has really opened up the last few years, I have no issues with an open spot or two going into the season.

There is no way in hell Hoiberg wanted Cross to leave. He was a versatile kid who could shoot the 3 and was only going to get better. Fred loved this kid's talent. The "coaches" Cross was referring from what I understand were not the Husker staff. Who knows. This damned Corona virus thing has a lot of people re-examining their situation and he's been sitting on his ass at home for the past month and a half.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell Hoiberg wanted Cross to leave. He was a versatile kid who could shoot the 3 and was only going to get better. Fred loved this kid's talent. The "coaches" Cross was referring from what I understand were not the Husker staff. Who knows. This damned Corona virus thing has a lot of people re-examining their situation and he's been sitting his ass at home for the past month and a half.

I have no idea if he did or didn’t. And I definitely didn’t mean to make sound like he did if I indeed did. Either way, he’s gone.

tenor.gif

Wow. Only three players returning from last year's active team. Mack, Green, Burke, Cross, Curtis, and Easley gone, plus the graduates Cheatham and Kavas.

ESPN put out lists ranking top 50 transfers in three catagories: Transfered this year and sit out a year, transfered this year and play immediately, and transfered last year, sat out this season, and will play this next season. Kobe Webster is #26, Dachon Burke is #40 (S. Alabama) for immediately eligible; Trey McGowans is #7, Kobe King #8 (applying for waiver), Cam Mack #20, Jervay Green (Pacific) honorable mention for sit outs; Samari Curtis #11 (Evansville) for midyear eligible; Thomas Allen #17 (NC State), Delano Banton #34 for ready after sit out. No mention of Shamiel Stevenson or Derrick Walker. Too early for Cross to be on the list.

I know we have heard talk about good play from Walker, Stevenson, and Banton, but man, with only Thor, Arop, and Yvan returning, Mayen probably being a project to develop, and Teddy Allen, it makes me nervous.

That's Allen and Webster at G, Stevenson, Walker, Thor, and Banton at F, Yvan and Mayen at C. Lakes, my guess, would be like Kavas this year.

The good news is that Hoiberg has the gravitas to make the moves he feels are in the program's long-term interest. I feel like Year 2 is going to start out pretty ugly, given the roster turnover. But hopefully he's assembling a group that will show progress as the season goes on.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell Hoiberg wanted Cross to leave. He was a versatile kid who could shoot the 3 and was only going to get better. Fred loved this kid's talent. The "coaches" Cross was referring from what I understand were not the Husker staff. Who knows. This damned Corona virus thing has a lot of people re-examining their situation and he's been sitting on his ass at home for the past month and a half.

On the HOL Podcast, Coach Matt A. said that Cross would not have played as many minutes next year. He didn't seem too sad that he is leaving.

On the HOL Podcast, Coach Matt A. said that Cross would not have played as many minutes next year. He didn't seem too sad that he is leaving.

Sadly that's how disposable student-athletes are these days, but yet when they seek out a better opportunity elsewhere, many are quick to crap on the kids. A year ago Coach Matt is blowing smoke up these guys' ass about come help us build this thing, and then before they even get to their first off-season, coaches are tossing them to the side.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Not a huge loss. Was second to last in FG % last year and was never a good rebounder/defender. And you have Shamiel/Lat Mayen both likely leaping him at the 4 AND the versatile lineups they can use (Teddy, Thor, Dalano, or Walker at the 4). Sucks to see him go, but not the end of the world. Arop knows he needs to develop so I imagine he'll take a redshirt next year. He'll do very well at a MM level or at a lower HM.

Sadly that's how disposable student-athletes are these days, but yet when they seek out a better opportunity elsewhere, many are quick to crap on the kids. A year ago Coach Matt is blowing smoke up these guys' ass about come help us build this thing, and then before they even get to their first off-season, coaches are tossing them to the side.

I find it hard to believe the coaches are just tossing the players aside with no regard for their well-being. My guess is they had a candid conversation with Cross about where he stood next year with the players coming in and came to the realization he would have fewer minutes. That tells me they are recruiting over Cross for his position, which seems like a good thing. They gave him an opportunity to play this year, evaluated what he could do within the system they run, and then communicated their projections.

This happens in every sport but with basketball it is much easier to turn over a roster, especially with the current environment of massive transfers.

For what it is worth, Hoiberg is getting the 1 and done players. At the moment, they just happen to be the guys who play 1 year and then transfer to another school rather than declare for the draft.

Reactions: Thrasher31
I find it hard to believe the coaches are just tossing the players aside with no regard for their well-being. My guess is they had a candid conversation with Cross about where he stood next year with the players coming in and came to the realization he would have fewer minutes. That tells me they are recruiting over Cross for his position, which seems like a good thing. They gave him an opportunity to play this year, evaluated what he could do within the system they run, and then communicated their projections.

This happens in every sport but with basketball it is much easier to turn over a roster, especially with the current environment of massive transfers.

For what it is worth, Hoiberg is getting the 1 and done players. At the moment, they just happen to be the guys who play 1 year and then transfer to another school rather than declare for the draft.

I don't disagree with the thought, but we were a bad basketball team last year and need all of the help we can get. I know Fred sees these dudes more than we do, but none of the talent we think we are getting has done anything at NU yet. He seemed to be a good project that had some early success that could bring some depth. I wish the kid luck and hopefully he does well.

I don't disagree with the thought, but we were a bad basketball team last year and need all of the help we can get. I know Fred sees these dudes more than we do, but none of the talent we think we are getting has done anything at NU yet. He seemed to be a good project that had some early success that could bring some depth. I wish the kid luck and hopefully he does well.

I agree, was hoping to see what he could do because he showed flashes. I wasn't bagging on Cross. The big difference this year is that even though we haven't seen what some of the incoming transfers have done at NU, there is plenty of tape to see how they have done at other D1 schools. And the ones that sat out last year because of transfer have been in the system practicing against the ones that did play, so coaches have a pretty darn good idea of what they can produce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT