ADVERTISEMENT

Critical thinking in regards to renegotiated contract - 2022 expectations - October 1 buyout reduction.

BringItOnHome

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
So let's go back to last year when the existing contract was renegotiated....both sides had to have some pressure to engage as well as some benefit to realize with the revised contract.

Trev (UNL) had pressure to engage because of the continuous lack of winning and strong evidence of poor coaching.

Frost held most of the cards with the favorable terms of his buyout. He didn't need to engage, but he did. We can assume he really wanted another chance to avoid going out on bad terms.

There is also, or even "more-likely", that another party had influence that brought both sides to the table...... cough cough Tom Osborne.

So the new terms are agreed upon with some give and take on both sides.
1) why would Frost give up so much $$$?
2) who was behind the revamped offense? If not Frost, why would he agree?
3) allegedly a high bar was set for 2022, why would Frost agree to such a metric with so many uncertainties?
4) what is Frost's upside to the October buyout reduction? Seems odd to have that stuck in the middle of the season.
5) what does Trev gain from that reduction aside from more cash for the next guy? Seems like he had a choke hold on Frost to not only win 8 or more, but also wasn't going to allow things to continue if it wasn't going well.
6) so again, what does Trev gain with a mid-season termination? It has to be very important for him, because why else could he force those terms onto Frost. Frost certainly didn't come up with the idea.

I suspect Trev isn't going into this with a "wait and see what happens ". There's no way he puts himself in the spotlight with the media circus like when Solich got fired. No way!!!

There must be a plan ready to launch on October 2nd. I have no clue what that is.

I hope there’s a plan in place come October the 1st. The fanbase and more importantly the players do not deserve a 1-11 season.

Only plan would be to let go of SF and Chins..
I'm not saying you aren't correct, that might be what they'd do, but that is some nerve-wracking shit right there. It's not like trev has to find a date for the prom. He needs to hire the best coaches we have had in 25 years

I'm not saying you aren't correct, that might be what they'd do, but that is some nerve-wracking shit right there. It's not like trev has to find a date for the prom. He needs to hire the best coaches we have had in 25 years
I’m sure TA is working on trying to find the right guy to take over this football program.. The quicker he let’s SF go the better it is to start making contacts with agents and Coaches..

Good post. Asks all the right questions. My gut says, as many others have noted, that Alberts wanted to fire Frost last year but had pressure put on him. You float the suggestion that some of that pressure came from Osborne. That pressure may have come in the form of a polite and casual conversation where Alberts contacts Osborne for advice. It was probably Osborne who suggested that since Frost was a Husker legend that he be given one last chance in the form of new coaches and a favorable early schedule (other than OU). First six games other than OU were all very winnable against weak teams. Go 5-1 and you keep your job beyond October 1st. But anything less than that would result in termination. It is a win-win scenario then where Frost gets one more shot, Osborne is placated, and Trev gets a reduced buyout and a green light from all powerful "Higher ups" to terminate without controversy.

Reactions: BringItOnHome
ADVERTISEMENT