ADVERTISEMENT

Criteria

Oct 15, 2019
Not a frequent poster but enjoy reading all the thoughts on here. A question has come up in my mind lately that I cant get passed. Seems most agree with a lot of the criteria that should be used in our search for a new coach. Who that particular coach should be has been a wonderful debate but the criteria seems pretty much the same.

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

Many on here seem to really be pulling for MJ as the next head coach. However when the same criteria is used to evaluate him as is used on other potential candidates, he falls short. My question is why are we using different criteria for him? Don't get me wrong, I am not anti MJ in any way, in fact think he is a very viable choice. Just not sure about this criteria thing.

Not a frequent poster but enjoy reading all the thoughts on here. A question has come up in my mind lately that I cant get passed. Seems most agree with a lot of the criteria that should be used in our search for a new coach. Who that particular coach should be has been a wonderful debate but the criteria seems pretty much the same.

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

Many on here seem to really be pulling for MJ as the next head coach. However when the same criteria is used to evaluate him as is used on other potential candidates, he falls short. My question is why are we using different criteria for him? Don't get me wrong, I am not anti MJ in any way, in fact think he is a very viable choice. Just not sure about this criteria thing.
He‘s a top flight recruiter as a Wide Receivers coach..

Reactions: dinglefritz

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

I would say he checks many of the boxes, but the one unchecked box that is glaring is proven P5 coach, which admittedly, is a big one.

If he wasn’t a good recruiter, doesn’t relate to his players, can’t develop them and get the best out of them, he won’t be a candidate. So far, none of that seems to be the case, but we’ve got some tough games ahead, so who knows?

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

He is an up and coming coach who is just an unknown in this capacity. He is being given the opportunity to prove himself as a head coach right now.

He has multiple good factors (former player, natural leader, well-spoken, no nonsense, loves the program, good recruiter, and players love him).

He just needs to prove himself on the job.

NU has tried alot of different approaches in hiring coaches, but hiring a head coach with proven success at another major college program has never been one of them dating back over 60 years. Devaney probably had the best resume of any of the hires and that consisted of 4 successful seasons at Wyoming, which to my knowledge has never been considered a "major" program. The hiring criteria for most of the hires since Solich seems to have been to go with the polar opposite of the previously fired coach.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It helps that he has 8 games to prove he can motivate and get existing players who are underperforming to play hard for him. MJ has proven he can recruit and develop players to max performance. He has the opportunity to take the existing staff, shuffle and redeal to new positions. It is one thing to say this is what I will do, but now he can say that this worked and the future coaches I want will produce the same result.

I was a landscape designer for 25 years and it was extremely difficult to get my client to see what I saw in the designs, then the computer imaging program came along and changed the face of the industry. I was able to use the imaging program to show the potential client within 95% realization of what their project would look like, complete with walk-through videos and night scenes for lighting purposes... MJ has this opportunity with these 8 games.

The pundits have screamed for years about the lack of talent, but the opposing coaches have said the opposite. MJ has the perfect opportunity to demonstrate his abilities to mold the players and, as importantly, his coaching staff. He has already said he is learning how to be an HC and no longer a position coach. We will see if he uses his free time to further develop his vision for the program and the players. The downtime is being used to sit in player/coach meetings, now will he use what he is hearing and develop his team and vision. I think this upcoming bye week will be the determining factor in this season. More decisions need to be made to simplify and pump up the kids. Games and titles are won with fundamentals, there is still a huge need for this on offense.

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

Because Nebraska fans have a sick incestuous need to have a Nebraska guy running the program

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

No one agrees on those criteria, or if they do, which coaches meet them. Proven P5 coach is the most problematic and the least likely to be met. Who is on the list outside of Urban that is available and not already coaching somewhere better? Everyone else has discussed those guys and their limitations. Pretty much the same with the others. No one is excluding Coordinators by the way. There are a number on the list such as BOB.

I honestly think that being a Husker himself is a big boost for him. Hiring someone who will care about the program and not use it to get an easy payout is a thing to me.

This is Mickeys alma mater, it's a place he loves. He most likely will put in the extra extra effort to progress the program.

Not to say other coaches wouldn't, but I think you have a better chance with an alum.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I know Mickey played at Nebraska but that's not a factor at all for me. He's been gone a long time and it's not like he was some revered hero based on his playing days. Delete "Nebraska quarterback" from his resume and it still stands on its own. He would be a big risk but if they do take that risk I don't think its because he's a Nebraska guy. It's because of what he brings to the table right now as a leader and as a recruiter.

I honestly think that being a Husker himself is a big boost for him. Hiring someone who will care about the program and not use it to get an easy payout is a thing to me.

This is Mickeys alma mater, it's a place he loves. He most likely will put in the extra extra effort to progress the program.

Not to say other coaches wouldn't, but I think you have a better chance with an alum.
You should send this note to Scott Frost. :(

Reactions: Sinomatic
It helps that he has 8 games to prove he can motivate and get existing players who are underperforming to play hard for him. MJ has proven he can recruit and develop players to max performance. He has the opportunity to take the existing staff, shuffle and redeal to new positions. It is one thing to say this is what I will do, but now he can say that this worked and the future coaches I want will produce the same result.

I was a landscape designer for 25 years and it was extremely difficult to get my client to see what I saw in the designs, then the computer imaging program came along and changed the face of the industry. I was able to use the imaging program to show the potential client within 95% realization of what their project would look like, complete with walk-through videos and night scenes for lighting purposes... MJ has this opportunity with these 8 games.

The pundits have screamed for years about the lack of talent, but the opposing coaches have said the opposite. MJ has the perfect opportunity to demonstrate his abilities to mold the players and, as importantly, his coaching staff. He has already said he is learning how to be an HC and no longer a position coach. We will see if he uses his free time to further develop his vision for the program and the players. The downtime is being used to sit in player/coach meetings, now will he use what he is hearing and develop his team and vision. I think this upcoming bye week will be the determining factor in this season. More decisions need to be made to simplify and pump up the kids. Games and titles are won with fundamentals, there is still a huge need for this on offense.
He doesn't have 8 games.....the decision has been made.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Waiting GIF

what intrigues me the most about mickey is how talented the assistants are he would bring in. jimmies and joes have to be recruited and developed.

Proven P5 coach
Top Flight recruiter
Not a coordinator
Very high ceiling
You know the rest etc.

Whether he becomes a real candidate for the position will depend on his record. If he gets this team to at least 7-5, he has shown enough for me to give him the job. He's a great recruiter, very popular with the players and fan base, and someone with a personal connection with NU during their glory days (he understands the high expectations).
If he can save this season after all that's happened, he deserves a chance.

He doesn't have 8 games.....the decision has been made.
You don’t know that. Let’s say Mickey runs the table (Highly unlikely admittedly but that’s why they play the games), and then Trev hires someone else who he’s had in mind the whole time. Fans would freak the F out and Trevs job security would take a major hit. He isn’t dumb, if MJ does well enough he will have no choice in the matter. Time will tell.

I'd be interested in the possibility of Joseph loving this program to such a degree he'd be willing to not be a burden should this not work out. Let's say a two year contract that will give the U of N some analysis of the job. If two years go by and there isn't notable progress the parties can split ways.
For all the Frost is coming home and loves this program talk, financially speaking that wasn't the case. He was alright with draining as much money as possible while half assing it.
MJ has never done this before. I don't mean coach football but run a large scale program. The two things are not the same animal.
To go all in on an unknown could prove to be yet another fatal error.

I love MJ and want him to succeed. He didn't have to come here. But there is a little 'buying a car off of Craigslist' gamble to it.

I'd be interested in the possibility of Joseph loving this program to such a degree he'd be willing to not be a burden should this not work out. Let's say a two year contract that will give the U of N some analysis of the job. If two years go by and there isn't notable progress the parties can split ways.
For all the Frost is coming home and loves this program talk, financially speaking that wasn't the case. He was alright with draining as much money as possible while half assing it.
MJ has never done this before. I don't mean coach football but run a large scale program. The two things are not the same animal.
To go all in on an unknown could prove to be yet another fatal error.

I love MJ and want him to succeed. He didn't have to come here. But there is a little 'buying a car off of Craigslist' gamble to it.
I think it would be recruiting suicide to only give him a 2 year contract. Maybe pay a lower salary with big bonuses for a bowl game and a huge one for a division or conference title. You still need to give him a 4-5 year deal.

Yeah. Like Bill Callahan, I mean Bo Pelini, I mean Mike Riley.
Nebraska history or not who cares, but we all better care that they have Big 10 or SEC head coaching experience because that is big boy football and the Pac 12, B

I think it would be recruiting suicide to only give him a 2 year contract. Maybe pay a lower salary with big bonuses for a bowl game and a huge one for a division or conference title. You still need to give him a 4-5 year deal.
Absolutely correct on all counts dingle.
2 years (which will never even be discussed) means, we still don't think you're the man for the job.

IMHO I don’t know what there is to debate if MJ gets the team to bowl eligibility. He’d already have done more in matter of weeks than what Frost could do in four seasons plus three games. I’d be open to just about any of the coaching names thrown around, but there’s no less question marks with those hires either. Plus, with MJ we’re already getting a trial period.

Please enlighten us.

No way Trev waits for the season to play out
You don’t know that. Let’s say Mickey runs the table (Highly unlikely admittedly but that’s why they play the games), and then Trev hires someone else who he’s had in mind the whole time. Fans would freak the F out and Trevs job security would take a major hit. He isn’t dumb, if MJ does well enough he will have no choice in the matter. Time will tell.
No time this BIG business you can't sit on your hands. Haven't Nebraska learned it's lesson from not doing a real coaching search.

Making sentimental choices.

IMHO I don’t know what there is to debate if MJ gets the team to bowl eligibility. He’d already have done more in matter of weeks than what Frost could do in four seasons plus three games. I’d be open to just about any of the coaching names thrown around, but there’s no less question marks with those hires either. Plus, with MJ we’re already getting a trial period.
Nailed it

Coaching talent availability and interest will determine the timeline. That’s why folks have agents to talk to Trev on the DL. The hire will come after the end of the season and before a bowl game. Anything else is frowned upon. Unless Mickey goes on an undefeated run of some sort and gets the full time coach tag pinned on his lapel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT