ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton joins Iowa as Midwest pariahs

So you don't care how I feel? You just aren’t willing to adjust, or learn and broaden your understanding of the world outside of you? You sure seem like a small minded, unadaptable simpleton. Is it okay that we follow your lead and just tell someone, when they say I have offended them, to ignore it?

The entire take on this radio show was one of the most pathetic exchanges I’ve ever heard. What weak minded, unintelligent people. Same goes for the players contemplating boycott. Leave school too then. Put your money where your mouth is.

The entire take on this radio show was one of the most pathetic exchanges I’ve ever heard. What weak minded, unintelligent people. Same goes for the players contemplating boycott. Leave school too then. Put your money where your mouth is.
Orrrrr...just hear me out...the dude that made them feel uncomfortable, belittled and less than human...could leave the school.

Just spitballing.

Reactions: jlgformk
Look, I don't think he should get canned but it really is not my place to tell other people if they should or should not be offended by something. I think often times people THINK they are offended or THINK that they should be offended but they really aren't.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Look, I don't think he should get canned but it really is not my place to tell other people if they should or should not be offended by something. I think often times people THINK they are offended or THINK that they should be offended but they really aren't.

Be offended. Be pissed. Be outraged. All within anyone’s rights. When you use your offense, anger, and outrage to infringe on another’s rights you are out of line.

Apparently McDermott was open to resigning. THEY PLAYERS SAID NO
Ha...of course they did. The tourney is about to start, that ****s them.

And it was a smart move to do the old "I will resign if that is what you guys want" bit, in a team meeting, where clearly no one is going to yell out "Yeah, beat it"

The more I think about this move, the slimier it feels. You don't put college kids in that position. "Hey guys, it is your team, it is up to you if you want me to quit, it is your choice" That is an insane amount of pressure. So, they say yes, and then what? Crazy Jay fans shit on the players?

I don't think he should get canned for what he said, I don't really even care about what he said. But making the team basically vote him off the island, that is crappy.

Last edited:
Honest question, the word spade has some obviously negative usage. If it could offend someone, why insist on using it?

When did I insist on using it? I've used it my whole life and was called on it about ten years ago. Our HR person had never heard the term before and thought the literal meaning was "calling a ni##er, a ni##er". Zero malice in the use racially, it was to let my team know I call it like I see it. I just noted I would not allow her to reprimand me for something she had no knowledge or even attempted to do her homework. The phrase predates the racial terms by nearly 4 centuries but I've moved on from using it because people are ignorant.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Fire the S and C coach and move on....like it never happened...

giphy.gif

Absolutely, but not everyone knows your intent. The person I replied to said his HR rep questioned him, would you put your job on the line based on hoping someone understands your context and intent? Or would you say, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn’t use it in that context, but I will work to not use it at work?
No, anyone with half a brain & not instantly looking to be offended would know the intent of they hear during a conversation "let's call a spade a spade".

Seriously, use that phrase in sentence were it could be taken as ill intent.

This would be equal to someone being upset with the phrases "master bedroom" "blacksheep" or "uppity".

Would you ask a coach to watch their speech if they were to say "we're gonna crush them (the opposing team)"? I mean a player could take that out context and actually try to crush them with a vehicle...

Down 19 at half, looks like the Bluejays bought the farm tonight.

Just so there is no misunderstanding with the farmers on this forum:

"What is meant by the phrase “bought the farm”? Answer: It comes from a 1950s-era Air Force term meaning “to crash” or “to be killed in action,” and refers to the desire of many wartime pilots to stop flying, return home, buy a farm, and live peaceably ever after.

Down 19 at half, looks like the Bluejays bought the farm tonight.

Just so there is no misunderstanding with the farmers on this forum:

"What is meant by the phrase “bought the farm”? Answer: It comes from a 1950s-era Air Force term meaning “to crash” or “to be killed in action,” and refers to the desire of many wartime pilots to stop flying, return home, buy a farm, and live peaceably ever after.
But only white people could buy farms in 1950, so the origin is born out of white privilege, so jmliar wants it shut down.

Wasn't really expecting the Jays to win at Villanova, but this is a really weak effort. If you only counted Nova's dunks and uncontested layups they would still be leading by 10.

I don't think anyone or many are saying that someone shouldn't be offended. Fine, be offended. It's the calling for people with no history of racists comments to be fire.

i.e. Doug McDermott.

Making a game of it now, anyway. Bench players brought some energy.

I don't think anyone or many are saying that someone shouldn't be offended. Fine, be offended. It's the calling for people with no history of racists comments to be fire.

i.e. Doug McDermott.

I don't care if he gets canned or not, makes no difference to me.

But are you saying that his plantation comment was racist?

And just as I say the bench got Creighton back in the game, McDermott checks the Big Book of Basketball Coaching and sees that he’s required to put all the starters back in. Rally over.

And just as I say the bench got Creighton back in the game, McDermott checks the Big Book of Basketball Coaching and sees that he’s required to put all the starters back in. Rally over.

Mitchell never should have come out, especially for Jones who is awful. O'Connell (also bad) in there way too long as well instead of zeg.

Well nova also hit a bit shot to take the wind out of the run.

If the jays weren’t so ”off” in the first 40 min of the game they may have won. At one point they were making 20% of their shots.

Well nova also hit a bit shot to take the wind out of the run.

If the jays weren’t so ”off” in the first 40 min of the game they may have won. At one point they were making 20% of their shots.
Oh I agree the game was definitely lost in the first half, but I would have liked to have seen McDermott stay with more of the guys who actually did something to make the rally happen. I still don't know why he thinks the building will collapse if he brings Bishop back into the game for someone other than Kalkbrenner. Fouls were not a concern for either at that point, and Kalkbrenner was finally helping Creighton get some stops.

The better team won, but my God basketball coaches are the ultimate creatures of habit.

Mahoney has been pretty below average the last several games
Seems like he's fallen way too in love with the three. Guy's built like a middle linebacker and he's barely venturing into the paint.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for tossing out half the English language, the word spade has been used for a century as a term for black people, often with negative intent. I guess some just aren’t willing to adjust vocabulary as they learn and broaden their understanding of the world outside them. And apparently they are content with being viewed as small minded, unadaptable simpletons.

Agreed. People need to understand that the usage of words and symbols changes and what was once benign can become extremely negative. At one time the fylfot was a symbol of good luck on an upcoming trip in Celtic countries. The same symbol was considered a a sign of general good luck for the Hindu. But Hallmark doesn't put the fylfot on their good luck cards since it was co-opted by the Nazis as their swastika. You could say "oh gee man, it is sign of good luck so I'll put it all over my house if I want." That's fine, but shows a remarkably tone-deaf attitude. There are countless examples of this, starting with a spade is a spade.

Agreed. People need to understand that the usage of words and symbols changes and what was once benign can become extremely negative. At one time the fylfot was a symbol of good luck on an upcoming trip in Celtic countries. The same symbol was considered a a sign of general good luck for the Hindu. But Hallmark doesn't put the fylfot on their good luck cards since it was co-opted by the Nazis as their swastika. You could say "oh gee man, it is sign of good luck so I'll put it all over my house if I want." That's fine, but shows a remarkably tone-deaf attitude. There are countless examples of this, starting with a spade is a spade.
Hope you never use the term "master bedroom" or "master bathroom" ever. Don't ever teach your kids "Eanie meanie miney moe", call anyone "uppity" and you must've been bothered by Riley's use of "Hip Hip Hooray".

Hope you never use the term "master bedroom" or "master bathroom" ever. Don't ever teach your kids "Eanie meanie miney moe", call anyone "uppity" and you must've been bothered by Riley's use of "Hip Hip Hooray".

What the hell are you babbling about? Someone must have hit he booze really early. Or do you routinely decorate your house with swastikas? That's probably it.

Ha...of course they did. The tourney is about to start, that ****s them.

And it was a smart move to do the old "I will resign if that is what you guys want" bit, in a team meeting, where clearly no one is going to yell out "Yeah, beat it"

The more I think about this move, the slimier it feels. You don't put college kids in that position. "Hey guys, it is your team, it is up to you if you want me to quit, it is your choice" That is an insane amount of pressure. So, they say yes, and then what? Crazy Jay fans shit on the players?

I don't think he should get canned for what he said, I don't really even care about what he said. But making the team basically vote him off the island, that is crappy.

I guess the other way to look at it is who did he allegedly offend? His own players. If they were the ones offended then they have remedy this way. If they truly think the guy is a racist bigot for that remark then they should not hesitate to ship him off. Seems like you want it both ways, people can be offended but those who are the "victims" are put in too difficult of a position.

Someone needs to define for me what a plantation is. I know the "connection" many are making but it isn't universal or perhaps it now is, shoot I don't know with the politically correct police these days. I thought Dr. Seuss was safe, silly me.

I guess the other way to look at it is who did he allegedly offend? His own players. If they were the ones offended then they have remedy this way. If they truly think the guy is a racist bigot for that remark then they should not hesitate to ship him off. Seems like you want it both ways, people can be offended but those who are the "victims" are put in too difficult of a position.

Someone needs to define for me what a plantation is. I know the "connection" many are making but it isn't universal or perhaps it now is, shoot I don't know with the politically correct police these days. I thought Dr. Seuss was safe, silly me.

There is no other way to look at it.

He put his players in a shitty spot. You know he did, it is okay to admit it. It was a smart move by him. I would have done the same exact thing.

People in power pretend to give away some power at times. It is brilliant. We all do it.

"Okay class, do you want to do the 5 question quiz or the 10 question quiz?" when you intended on giving the 5 question one all along, the one they will vote to take

"Okay guys, you pick the conditioning today, 10 gassers or 6 gassers, what do you guys think you need?"

When you knew they were going to pick 6, BUT it makes them feel in control, like they have the say.

"Guys, we can stay late and finish inventory, or we can leave and come in early, you pick"

"Okay honey, you pick, did you want to blow me or do you want anal?"

Last edited:
There is no other way to look at it.

He put his players in a shitty spot. You know he did, it is okay to admit it. It was a smart move by him. I would have done the same exact thing.

People in power pretend to give away some power at times. It is brilliant. We all do it.

"Okay class, do you want to do the 5 question quiz or the 10 question quiz?" when you intended on giving the 5 question one all along, the one they will vote to take

"Okay guys, you pick the conditioning today, 10 gassers or 6 gassers, what do you guys think you need?"

When you knew they were going to pick 6, BUT it makes them feel in control, like they have the say.

"Guys, we can stay late and finish inventory, or we can leave and come in early, you pick"

"Okay honey, you pick, did you want to blow me or do you want anal?"

You have one sick mind.

I didn't say they weren't in a bad position with the offer. I have been there, a pastor asked me if he should resign, but I was an adult and had to step up.

The players can't be deeply hurt on one hand and not have some kind of input to resolve it in the other.

You have one sick mind.

I didn't say they weren't in a bad position with the offer. I have been there, a pastor asked me if he should resign, but I was an adult and had to step up.

The players can't be deeply hurt on one hand and not have some kind of input to resolve it in the other.

What are you crying about then? We both agree he put them in a shitty spot.

ADVERTISEMENT