ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton joins Iowa as Midwest pariahs

Very bizarre thing to say. But probably far less offensive than the language the players themselves use in the locker room. They are reacting like these grown men are going to need therapy because of an ignorant analogy.
I have to agree. I’ve never heard anyone ever use this phrase in any context. Is this really a phrase? What does it even mean? If it means something like ‘go rogue’ then why not just say that?? Dumb choice of words but I don’t think McDermott is a racist.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Because the expression literally refers to a shovel. If people want to not offend they can tack on "and not a gardening tool", but a shovel is not racist and the phrase's origins date back to the 1500s ffs, 350+ years before spade was used as a derogatory term. At what point do we allow a word or phrase to be restored to its original benign context and stop projecting racism on people where none exists?

Everything can be made racial, if you just try hard enough.

A spade (shovel) is racist because White elitists made African-Americans and Chinese-Americans use a spade to build the White House and railroads over 250 years ago. See, a spade/shovel is now the new symbol of oppression, which must be eradicated.

Reactions: HuskerO and OzzyLvr
The interesting piece of this is that he probably was trying to say he needed everyone “on the reservation” which is the typical phrase for this type of thing... either way, several posters hit it on the head with “what was he thinking”....

The interesting piece of this is that he probably was trying to say he needed everyone “on the reservation” which is the typical phrase for this type of thing... either way, several posters hit it on the head with “what was he thinking”....

And that would have been offensive if his team was made up of native americans. Maybe he should have said he needs everybody to row the boat. :p

I don't think McDermott gets fired over this but I could see him being suspended for a couple of games. From a pure stupidity standpoint, that might be appropriate.

Why..
Just because he chose a wrong set of words.. Ridicules people need to start growing a pair and not take things so seriously..

it was dumb comment.
a brain fart, but a bad one.
timing of making their reaction public is great for their future opponents in the tournament.
bye, bye.
go shocks. !!.! !.!!

Story is gaining traction.

CU will now have a choice.

Option one: Suspend him, which will make it a bigger story and lead to him getting canned
Option two: Do nothing and hope it dies down.

option 2.
it'll be over after they're knocked out of tournament.

And that would have been offensive if his team was made up of native americans. Maybe he should have said he needs everybody to row the boat. :p
Now, they mad...
ElderlyBountifulDuckbillcat-small.gif

Reactions: bigboxes
You know what's the worst part about this is. I can see both sides, and that is what makes this difficult.

McDermott definitely should have used different words. There is no doubt about that, but I also agree with the comment "The pussification of America continues". The sensitivity is getting over the top. Bill Burr making jokes on SNL, to a slip of word on a news cast and now things like this.

To me this is not something to be fired over, especially now that he owned up to it. He realized he made the mistake and that is the important thing here. Learning from it!

Systemic Racism has got to stop. I also believe that this country needs to understand people make mistakes. Not only that this country needs to still be able to make fun of themselves. I know nothing McDermott said was funny, but anybody that cracks a joke get looked down upon.

So to the people that strongly believe he needs to fired... Where does the line end?

To the "Pussification of America" people... There has to be profession way to speak publically, and accountability to be had right?

What I havent heard, and probably wont, is did HE realize it was wrong upon saying it, or did someone point it out to him.

I think most of us have said something that came out wrong, and immediately recognized it.

So to the people that strongly believe he needs to fired... Where does the line end?
The people who want him fired already had a huge bug in their ass about Creighton, and have grown tired of predicting year after year after year that the Jays are going to be Big East bottom-feeders just as soon as [fill in player's name here] is gone.

I like McDermott and I hope he keeps his job. But to make that happen, Creighton might have to do something more than issue a statement - such as sitting him down for a game or two.

The people who want him fired already had a huge bug in their ass about Creighton, and have grown tired of predicting year after year after year that the Jays are going to be Big East bottom-feeders just as soon as [fill in player's name here] is gone.

I like McDermott and I hope he keeps his job. But to make that happen, Creighton might have to do something more than issue a statement - such as sitting him down for a game or two.
Ridiculous....

Have the players on the team make him a RUN set or two of lines and be done with it....

Reactions: Lincoln100
his players could let him off the hook if this was an isolated event.

I am definitely not a fan of Creighton's. I don't think this is a fireable offense IMO. Things like this have to have a repetitive pattern to be fireable. That is the only way you know if it is a bad person or an accidental incident.

Ridiculous....

Have the players on the team make him a RUN set or two of lines and be done with it....
Penn State could have done that with Pat Chambers, and it would have been just fine with me. But they chose instead to overreact in a big way, to the benefit of no one. I hope that doesn't happen here, but it could.

Liberal cancel culture is disgusting.
LOL! The cancel culture gets far too carried away, but that doesn't mean that any and all comments should be OK. What McDermott said was very stupid. Should he lose his job? Of course not, but let's not defend him by looping his jackass remark in with the rest of the cancel culture crap.

It sounds like this is the least of their concerns considering Mo Watson their former PG is writing a tell all book that is not so kind to Mcdermott or Creighton.
How many copies is a book bashing Creighton gonna sell? 50? Nobody remembers Mo Watson except Creighton fans and Bluejay fans aren't going to buy a book that paints CU in a negative light.

Didn't some Oklahoma State players try to get Mike Gundy fired for wearing an OAN t-shirt on a fishing trip 😆 ? I mean, this is worse than that. There were also a bunch of players who threatened Drew Brees for saying he believes in standing for the National Anthem to honor his dead Grandfathers. People will forget all about this when the next coach/player says something offensive.
You have to consider the profession Gundy and Brees have chosen. If he owned their own gun shop and didn't coach, Gundy would never have made the tearful apology. Gundy's got to recruit and lead. Gundy's been to a Trump rally before. The only recruitable prospects at a Trump rally would be in other sports like trap shooting, corn hole and competitive eating.

How many copies is a book bashing Creighton gonna sell? 50? Nobody remembers Mo Watson except Creighton fans and Bluejay fans aren't going to buy a book that paints CU in a negative light.
Sooner or Later/Q-Bomb already has 100 copies pre-ordered.

You might be right had this most recent situation not occurred.

Mcdermott is now getting burned at the stake...coupled with being involved with the College basketball/FBI scandal I don’t see how they keep him moving forward.

As stated by others it sounds like something that slipped out by mistake. He immediately apologized. Unless there is a pattern of race-baiting here it seems that all parties should just move on without too much pain or embarrassment. But honestly does anyone seriously think he shouldn't have apologized? All the people complaining about snowflakes on this board are the same folks who get their panties in a bunch when someone describes middle America as flyover country, and the same folks who lose their minds when they think someone is talking down to them.

You might be right had this most recent situation not occurred.

Mcdermott is now getting burned at the stake...coupled with being involved with the College basketball/FBI scandal I don’t see how they keep him moving forward.
Sean Miller got caught talking out loud to his bag man and he's still coaching at Arizona. I don't think McDermott's going down due to the FBI investigation.

As stated by others it sounds like something that slipped out by mistake. He immediately apologized. Unless there is a pattern of race-baiting here it seems that all parties should just move on without too much pain or embarrassment. But honestly does anyone seriously think he shouldn't have apologized? All the people complaining about snowflakes on this board are the same folks who get their panties in a bunch when someone describes middle America as flyover country, and the same folks who lose their minds when they think someone is talking down to them.
I don’t think he should’ve apologized.

He should’ve told everyone ‘F off, I’ve got a conference tourney title to compete for.’

Apologies are the oxygen these clowns need to breathe. No apologies, no more cancellations, at least for those with a tangible, elite skill who did nothing wrong.

I don’t think he should’ve apologized.

He should’ve told everyone ‘F off, I’ve got a conference tourney title to compete for.’

Apologies are the oxygen these clowns need to breathe. No apologies, no more cancellations, at least for those with a tangible, elite skill who did nothing wrong.

Nah, he should apologize. But only to his players and those in the room. And it sounds like he did. Nothing wrong with admitting you said something stupid and saying you are sorry.

And then this should have been all over with. But now for some reason everyone thinks when someone eff's up a person needs to publicly apologize to the world.

Penn State could have done that with Pat Chambers, and it would have been just fine with me. But they chose instead to overreact in a big way, to the benefit of no one. I hope that doesn't happen here, but it could.

And by now everyone has forgot what happen just like this must go away...

Because there is no reason to toss half the English language out for emotionally immature and unstable people

I don’t think anyone is advocating for tossing out half the English language, the word spade has been used for a century as a term for black people, often with negative intent. I guess some just aren’t willing to adjust vocabulary as they learn and broaden their understanding of the world outside them. And apparently they are content with being viewed as small minded, unadaptable simpletons.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for tossing out half the English language, the word spade has been used for a century as a term for black people, often with negative intent. I guess some just aren’t willing to adjust vocabulary as they learn and broaden their understanding of the world outside them. And apparently they are content with being viewed as small minded, unadaptable simpletons.
I'll take holier-than-thou douchebags for $600, Alex

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT