ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton joins Iowa as Midwest pariahs

Interesting the he was the one that broke the story. Do I think it was a slip? Possibly. It’s a dumb ass comment unless a pattern can be shown.

What do the players, current, former. and future, think? Their opinion is what matters. Not mine.

Very bizarre thing to say. But probably far less offensive than the language the players themselves use in the locker room. They are reacting like these grown men are going to need therapy because of an ignorant analogy.

Shows that racial references are still quite prevalent in our culture and they need to be called out so they can be eliminated... that being said, that reference was made in error or out of ignorance and we need to give people a break when mistakes happen...

First off, it is not the saying, which means, well...we know

Secondly, if he is at a public U he is gone for sure.

This is gaining steam though.

Nothing a small check for "School Supplies" won't solve.

I heard Iowa called him up and said they were going to nominate him for Coach of the Year after hearing about his comments.

• Haha
Reactions: donahues17
It sounds like this is the least of their concerns considering Mo Watson their former PG is writing a tell all book that is not so kind to Mcdermott or Creighton.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Pretty dumb. He was well aware of his mistake before he made it.

It sounds like this is the least of their concerns considering Mo Watson their former PG is writing a tell all book that is not so kind to Mcdermott or Creighton.
The charges were dropped against Mo...yet the last I heard he was never allowed to finish his degree . I believe he was in his last few months. How about extending some grace to MO and let him get that diploma. If he has gone on and graduated elsewhere....that is fantastic.

He's fortunate he didn't quote some Dr. Seuss books. All heck would have broken loose.

It's getting to the point where everything is offensive to someone sometime.

This isn't close to that silliness. You aren't necessarily wrong, but what he said is legitimately at least a little inappropriate - he for certain owes the apology if for nothing else being a dipsh!t.

I don't think McDermott gets fired over this but I could see him being suspended for a couple of games. From a pure stupidity standpoint, that might be appropriate.

Reactions: RothMatt
Unless players come forward with any additional nuggets like the Iowa situation, this will blow over easily. His black assistant coach already made a statement about how he’s disappointed, but has never felt any kind of racism from McDermott. A pretty unfortunate slip up and he deserves some ridicule for it, but you have to have some kind of track record for any sort of real discipline, and to my knowledge he doesn’t. A lot will depend on his players’ reaction in the near future.

Didn't some Oklahoma State players try to get Mike Gundy fired for wearing an OAN t-shirt on a fishing trip 😆 ? I mean, this is worse than that. There were also a bunch of players who threatened Drew Brees for saying he believes in standing for the National Anthem to honor his dead Grandfathers. People will forget all about this when the next coach/player says something offensive.

I'm guessing Doc Sadler is pretty happy he's not a head coach anymore, the language he used in practices would probably get him canceled by the social justice crowd today.

Didn't some Oklahoma State players try to get Mike Gundy fired for wearing an OAN t-shirt on a fishing trip 😆 ? I mean, this is worse than that. There were also a bunch of players who threatened Drew Brees for saying he believes in standing for the National Anthem to honor his dead Grandfathers. People will forget all about this when the next coach/player says something offensive.

I'm guessing Doc Sadler is pretty happy he's not a head coach anymore, the language he used in practices would probably get him canceled by the social justice crowd today.
Terrible take.

I use the figurative expression “call a spade a spade” my whole life. Was talked to about my use of this “racist term”. Our younger HR person had no clue of the actual meaning of this expression. Sent her back to learn the actual meaning of the expression and never heard from her again.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I use the figurative expression “call a spade a spade” my whole life. Was talked to about my use of this “racist term”. Our younger HR person had no clue of the actual meaning of this expression. Sent her back to learn the actual meaning of the expression and never heard from her again.

Honest question, the word spade has some obviously negative usage. If it could offend someone, why insist on using it?

Reactions: Can o' corn
Been around sports, multiple sports for decades in different states and never ever heard a coach talk about the team, program or organization as a plantation. Has anyone ever heard that at any time for an analogy about the team?

Just bizarre to use it anytime but especially under the current world of hypersensitivity to so many things to make that word choice.
Don’t care if he stays or goes but will be worth a watch to see who says what and why.

Honest question, the word spade has some obviously negative usage. If it could offend someone, why insist on using it?
Because the expression literally refers to a shovel. If people want to not offend they can tack on "and not a gardening tool", but a shovel is not racist and the phrase's origins date back to the 1500s ffs, 350+ years before spade was used as a derogatory term. At what point do we allow a word or phrase to be restored to its original benign context and stop projecting racism on people where none exists?

ADVERTISEMENT