ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton joins Iowa as Midwest pariahs

I don’t think he should’ve apologized.

He should’ve told everyone ‘F off, I’ve got a conference tourney title to compete for.’

Apologies are the oxygen these clowns need to breathe. No apologies, no more cancellations, at least for those with a tangible, elite skill who did nothing wrong.
His comments were pretty minor, and it sounds like it was just a poor choice of words. The university would be foolish to punish him. Still, as a white man coaching a team with quite a few AA players on the roster it was a smart move on his part to apologize. Nip it in the bud, and move on.

And my point on cancel culture stands. We all pick and choose the things that we find unacceptable. Are lots of younger people basically an exposed nerve? Yep. I have stories of our hyper sensitive culture affecting me personally, and they suck. But there are some things you probably shouldn't say, and if you decide to say them anyway, then you should be prepared for some backlash. And that fact travels across the political spectrum.

I'll take holier-than-thou douchebags for $600, Alex

Sadly, Alex is dead. I’ve certainly used a ton of hurtful words over the years, apologized when I did as best as I could. I just can’t imagine being so tied up in sounds that I can’t adjust if it negatively impacts others.

Like if a family member asks you to stop calling them word X are you just going to tell them to eff of, I am who I am?

ive apologized for dumb mistakes.
and this was a dumb mistake, a faux pas that could have been handled inside, but instead they made it public to their own detriment.
dumb on top of dumb.

it was a dumb mistake, a faux pas if you will that could have been handled inside, but instead they made it public to their own detriment.
dumb on top of dumb.

Sweeping things under the rug always works out well, signed Iowa, Penn State, Michigan State, Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for tossing out half the English language, the word spade has been used for a century as a term for black people, often with negative intent. I guess some just aren’t willing to adjust vocabulary as they learn and broaden their understanding of the world outside them. And apparently they are content with being viewed as small minded, unadaptable simpletons.

Its been used longer than that for a f****** shovel. Grow up.

The overly educated, unintelligent, useless people that are in knots about spoken words are not emotionally stable and intellectually honest enough to define bathrooms, much less debates. The minimal utility they bring to society is exponentially offset by the destruction of their nonsensical, circular arguments.

If this words like this are a problem for you, say a prayer. Go volunteer somewhere and make a difference. Make yourself useful and build vs. tear down what you don’t like.

As a society, we need to root out the trash that is cancel culture and social ‘justice’ influencers as much as the bigots they purport to battle. They’re equal sides of the same narrow minded coin.

Sadly, Alex is dead. I’ve certainly used a ton of hurtful words over the years, apologized when I did as best as I could. I just can’t imagine being so tied up in sounds that I can’t adjust if it negatively impacts others.

Like if a family member asks you to stop calling them word X are you just going to tell them to eff of, I am who I am?
I would not tell them to F off, I would stop calling them whatever and then judge them endlessly for being soft enough to let words impact their psyche.

after all, both you and I can't imagine being so tied up in sounds that they have anything close to the effect of sticks and stones.

Just wait for the evolution of the human species to the point where we no longer need to speak, but of course we will be scanning each others thoughts, that will be fun.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for tossing out half the English language, the word spade has been used for a century as a term for black people, often with negative intent. I guess some just aren’t willing to adjust vocabulary as they learn and broaden their understanding of the world outside them. And apparently they are content with being viewed as small minded, unadaptable simpletons.

This type of thinking had led us to a point where many people can't even define the terms "male" and "female" anymore, and make up nonsensical terms like "Womxn" and "Latinx". We've abandoned all reason and logic in the name of fake "tolerance"

Just wait for the evolution of the human species to the point where we no longer need to speak, but of course we will be scanning each others thoughts, that will be fun.
this is the future some cannot wait for

Ok, personally I don't see any difference in reservation, plantation, the hills, the sticks, the farm, fly over country, the other side of the tracks etc.

ALL are used as slang and I guess anyone can choose to be offended if they choose to

When will it be enough? Are we heading back to segregation ? It’s getting to the point where someone thinks a word or action is offensive so they make a fuss about it and it becomes the norm. Are we as a society getting to a point where your driving down the road and you pass a cemetery you see a cross on a tombstone are we going to be offended and demand the church, or city or county have the tombstone taken down? What Mac did was stupid but that’s it and I can’t stand creighton

as NOT a jays fan, i think they're acting pretentious and spoiled,
if all he did was mistakenly utter 'plantation'.
this is madness.

As a Jays fan, what are your thoughts?
I think it was an incredibly stupid statement. But as a single statement, I don't think it is a fireable offense UNLESS there is a history/pattern here. Former/Current/Future players' opinions matter here. Not the fans. they KNOW him. we dont.

I'd also be curious as to if HE caught the statement and realized it was insensitive, or it had to be pointed out to him. Im sure we have all said something and immediately thought/said that came out wrong.

Also, the analogy in and of itself was stupid.

If someone is offended by you, you'll stop? In that case, your posts negatively impact me, and this website, so could you stop posting?

Golly, I just don't know what I would do if you and your kind thought poorly of me.

Reactions: HuskerO
I don't care about and Creighton and don't personally know coach Mac, but this is so overblown. He used a phrase he shouldn't have, immediately recognized this and apologized. Sure, a lot of people are going to make noise and "be offended", but this incident should be taken for what it was - a mistake, and people need to move on. If his players want to boycott, that's a bs move, he would have their back if they made a mistake, and they should have his. If they don't have his back, he should just walk away as he's lost them anyway - F' Em! If you have access to the OWH, read what Josh Dotzler has to say. He didn't play for coach Mac, but seems to know him well and I'd say he has a good read on him.

Reactions: TheNewNU
If someone is offended by you, you'll stop? In that case, your posts negatively impact me, and this website, so could you stop posting?

Good effort, nice attempt. Feel free to hit the ignore button or let me know if something bothered you or your other accounts and I’m happy to discuss.

Good effort, nice attempt. Feel free to hit the ignore button or let me know if something bothered you or your other accounts and I’m happy to discuss.
So you don't care how I feel? You just aren’t willing to adjust, or learn and broaden your understanding of the world outside of you? You sure seem like a small minded, unadaptable simpleton. Is it okay that we follow your lead and just tell someone, when they say I have offended them, to ignore it?

So you don't care how I feel? You just aren’t willing to adjust, or learn and broaden your understanding of the world outside of you? You sure seem like a small minded, unadaptable simpleton. Is it okay that we follow your lead and just tell someone, when they say I have offended them, to ignore it?

Absolutely I do, share your feelings freely.

I don't care about and Creighton and don't personally know coach Mac, but this is so overblown. He used a phrase he shouldn't have, immediately recognized this and apologized. Sure, a lot of people are going to make noise and "be offended", but this incident should be taken for what it was - a mistake, and people need to move on. If his players want to boycott, that's a bs move, he would have their back if they made a mistake, and they should have his. If they don't have his back, he should just walk away as he's lost them anyway - F' Em! If you have access to the OWH, read what Josh Dotzler has to say. He didn't play for coach Mac, but seems to know him well and I'd say he has a good read on him.

He tossed that PG off the team pretty quickly.

Speaking of rap songs how come PC culture hasnt come after them for talking about drug use raping women and spouting off the N word? Once they get cancelled Ill be ok with others being cancelled.

years ago there were attempts by some in Democratic leadership positions and influential families and they were dismissed. Remember Gore’s wife I think tried amongst others.

Story is gaining traction.

CU will now have a choice.

Option one: Suspend him, which will make it a bigger story and lead to him getting canned
Option two: Do nothing and hope it dies down.
I don't think it's a matter of IF it would die down, but when. I believe it will die down by the end of next week.

Except that's not what's happening with saying the phrase "call/calling a spade a spade". You're not saying anything derogatory towards African Americans. That phrase has literally nothing to do with race.

Except that's not what's happening with saying the phrase "call/calling a spade a spade". You're not saying anything derogatory towards African Americans or Hispanics. That phrase has literally nothing to do with race.

You clearly need to broaden your understanding of the world outside of you. It has everything to do with race, it always does.

Except that's not what's happening with saying the phrase "call/calling a spade a spade". You're not saying anything derogatory towards African Americans. That phrase has literally nothing to do with race.

Absolutely, but not everyone knows your intent. The person I replied to said his HR rep questioned him, would you put your job on the line based on hoping someone understands your context and intent? Or would you say, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn’t use it in that context, but I will work to not use it at work?

Absolutely I do, share your feelings freely.
You don't, you told me to ignore it. That really hurts. I'm going to make a facebook and instagram post #notyourdoormat. I wish you were more aware of the things you say and how they effect others. You can't unring that bell. You need sensitivity training. You're mean.

Reactions: HuskerO
You don't, you told me to ignore it. That really hurts. I'm going to make a facebook and instagram post #notyourdoormat. I wish you were more aware of the things you say and how they effect others. You can't unring that bell. You need sensitivity training. You're mean.

No, I asked you to ignore me OR address it.

Or is used as a function word to indicate an alternative.

ADVERTISEMENT