ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton better than NU once again this year...

hddude55

Defensive Coordinator
Jan 14, 2002
Arizona
as impossible as that may seem because Creighton is awful. Hopefully the good vibes from the new facilities and the NCAA berth last year haven't been obliterated but after reading the thread today about NU throwing in the towel I think it is safe to say we are once again attacking each other just like the bad old days.

I think the mods just wanted to get rid of any trace of that performance today. That was as bad as Nebraska basketball has ever looked.

But you are right. Sadly, Creighton is the better team.

This post was edited on 2/22 4:20 PM by Hoosker Du

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
Who cares about Creighton. We need to beat the Big Ten.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Just trying to change the topic. That "throwing in the towel" thread was one of the worst ever on this board and I see it has now been taken down. Hard to believe it was a hoops thread. That's the kind of thread we have usually seen during the dark days of football seasons.

Thats like saying poop is better than vomit. Congrats Creighton I guess.

The Creighton and Incarnate word losses were not flukes. This is the worst team I have ever seen in Lincoln

Creighton hoops has been better than NU hoops for a really long time (15-20 years??), you'd think people would get used to it. Don't have to like it, but it shouldn't surprise anyone at this point,

This post was edited on 2/22 5:05 PM by litespeedhuskerfan

Creighton better than NU hoops for the past 15-20 years???? Creighton played in the lowly Mo Valley prior. Put them in the Big 12 and they would have never made a single NCAA tournament. Creighton had a once in a lifetime talent the past 4 years and are now showing what they will be like going forward - the worst team in a bad conference.

Seems like I remember Johnny Mathis having the game of his life against Crum and Louisville about a lifetime ago. Since then Creighton has been ranked higher and had more tourney success. IDK, maybe i'm wrong...but it sure seems like they've been way better and their head to head recently seems like it favors CU as well. Couldn't tell you what theor record is in the last 15 years, but it feels lime 10-5 CU. Maybe not.

The difference is that Miles has a transfer waiting in the wings elgible for next year and fairly highly rated recruiting class coming in. I don't know if next year we're an NCAA tourney team or not, but I would bet a fair chunk of change that we are two years from now. Creighton might not be a tourney team again for many years.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
The difference is that Miles has a transfer waiting in the wings elgible for next year and fairly highly rated recruiting class coming in. I don't know if next year we're an NCAA tourney team or not, but I would bet a fair chunk of change that we are two years from now. Creighton might not be a tourney team again for many years.
Dingle,

With all due respect, NU fans have been saying this exact thing for what seems like decades.

When Buford leaves, when Harstad leaves, when Korver leaves, when Funk leaves, when McDermitt leaves, etc., etc., etc....

History shows that Creighton will be just fine.

Nebraska needs to up its game.

Originally posted by HuskerJack95:

Dingle,

With all due respect, NU fans have been saying this exact thing for what seems like decades.

When Buford leaves, when Harstad leaves, when Korver leaves, when Funk leaves, when McDermitt leaves, etc., etc., etc....

If you are a regular on this board and not a visitor you damn well better be an NU fan and not just in football. I couldn't care less about Creighton and how they did or didn't do during the season... with all due respect.

History shows Barone and Altman did a good job long enough. History also shows Mac hasn't had success at the "big time level" without his son.

So while you're right that Creighton has done well over the last 20 or so years replacing some really, really good players - history also shows Mac hasn't sustained success without his kid. He showed it at Iowa State, fired after four consecutive losing seasons and he's more than showing that this year.

Will that change next season or after that? Only time will tell but history isn't on the side of the one running the program.

Nebraska has a better record for the season and 2 more wins in the B1G than Creighton has in the Big East. Creighton had one guy get hot and have a career night against NU and he hasn't done crap for the rest of the year. Saying that Creighton is better than NU this year is questionable at best. Creighton was better than NU for one game. More importantly going forward I would rather have NU's recruiting class and transfer than Creighton's. Creighton has always been "just fine" because they played in the MVC and NU has had terrible coaching for years. Good luck to them now.

A little more...

When Barone was done, Creighton did struggle under Rick Johnson. Luckily for Creighton fans, he was let go after 2 or 3 seasons.

It took Altman a few years (5 or 6?) to get Creighton back to the dance which I believe was a 9 year drought. Dana went on a nice run getting to the dance but there was also a 5-year drought between the end of Altman's era and the beginning of McDermott's.

So as I previously mentioned, history is questionable under McDermott. Different league, different players requires, only time will tell if he will have "Creighton history" success or "Greg McDermott" history of non-success without his son.

IMO, Creighton is no longer a plug and play program in the Mo Valley Conference.

Originally posted by HuskerJack95:
Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Dingle,

Creighton has no history in a conference as competitive year in and year out than the Big East. So it doesn't matter what history has shown. The fact they fell so far in just one year post Doug McDermott indicates that he may have been masking problems that there were already there. So I think to just say Creighton will be fine when any past history is essentially irrelevant to their current situation is being rather Pollyannaish about the current situation.

I suspect Creightons best days are in their rearview mirror with Doug's graduation and their move to the Big East, just for the record.

Hope I'm wrong tbough, also for the record.

Lucky for me I'm not a huge basketball fan.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
History shows Barone and Altman did a good job long enough. History also shows Mac hasn't had success at the "big time level" without his son.

So while you're right that Creighton has done well over the last 20 or so years replacing some really, really good players - history also shows Mac hasn't sustained success without his kid. He showed it at Iowa State, fired after four consecutive losing seasons and he's more than showing that this year.

Will that change next season or after that? Only time will tell but history isn't on the side of the one running the program.

This is true and what I've said and have been saying. Creighton has had a good history with some pretty decent coaches. But Greg McDermott doesn't exactly have a great history of excelling at the top level. I think he's an average coach. I question some of his decisions and some of his basketball mentality. I don't think he can recruit top level talent. We'll see, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT