ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboys hire McCarthy. Other hires..

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Names being mentioned. Matt Rhule from Baylor. OU coach Lincoln Riley and of course Urban Meyer. Now IF one of those guys is hired do they become a Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll college to pro success story? Or do they find out they are better off in CFB like Saban and Spurrier who failed in the NFL. Discuss..

Names being mentioned. Matt Rhule from Baylor. OU coach Lincoln Riley and of course Urban Meyer. Now IF one of those guys is hired do they become a Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll college to pro success story? Or do they find out they are better off in CFB like Saban and Spurrier who failed in the NFL. Discuss..
I think it depends on how much they will actually be allowed to make decisions.

I think it depends on how much they will actually be allowed to make decisions.
Exactly. Jerry needs to finally wake up. Hire a top shelf GM. Hire a great coach. Then sit back and let them do their jobs. He isn't getting any younger. You haven't won shit since Jimmy and Jimmy's players left. Time to relinquish some control.

Exactly. Jerry needs to finally wake up. Hire a top shelf GM. Hire a great coach. Then sit back and let them do their jobs. He isn't getting any younger. You haven't won shit since Jimmy and Jimmy's players left. Time to relinquish some control.

He's a smart man. I'm sure he recognizes all of that privately. But I don't think he can help himself. So, better to hire another loyal lapdog if you're just going to meddle anyway.

If they hire a top-shelf GM and coach, it will be a total waste unless they strap Jerry to a gurney like Hannibal Lecter for the next 4-5 years.

Reactions: Ron BK
He's a smart man. I'm sure he recognizes all of that privately. But I don't think he can help himself. So, better to hire another loyal lapdog if you're just going to meddle anyway.

If they hire a top-shelf GM and coach, it will be a total waste unless they strap Jerry to a gurney like Hannibal Lecter for the next 4-5 years.
Dan Orlovsky said it best. "Jerry likes power and control more than he likes winning."

I would pay Lincoln Riley $15m a year, he would works wonders with that talent on offense.

I don't think any coach is dying to work for Jerrah, and hitch their wagon to Dak. Wil they get a big name? Probably, money talks, but that job isn't as attractive as many make it out to be.

I HATE the Cowgirls. But with the way theyve built that team, they need a coach that will run the ball and play defense.

That's not Lincoln Riley. Maybe Urban? Hell I'd hire Ron Rivera and give him a go before I think some great RECRUITING college coach is going to be magic in the Nfl.

Dan Orlovsky said it best. "Jerry likes power and control more than he likes winning."

I don't really find anything wrong with that. Irritating if you're a fan, but if I was that rich, I'd want to do the same thing in MLB.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm actually much more curious to see if the Browns can actually hire a competent coach and whether a competent coach could turn that dumpster fire around. They have a lot of talent on offense (more than the Cowboys, minus o-line), could a good coach actually manage the admittedly horrible personalities? Not a Browns fan, just curious.

I hope Jerry never wins another title.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Josh McDaniels would be a good hire, get Rivera to be DC. I just don’t think many people want to work for Jerry but I could be wrong

tenor.gif

Me. I can get the Boys to a 500 season. Just give me a couple milll.

Not doubting his coaching ability. He’s a guy that refused to leave Boise for years because he loved staying out of the spotlight. Plus, I believe he just stepped down because he was getting overwhelmed at UW.
Thats my point. No recruiting and Jerry will handle the roster. Petersen just has to coach a pretty good roster and he can hide in Jerry's shadow.

I think Switzer might be the more pertinent analogy here. He won titles at both OU and the Cowboys. Try to capture that lightning again.

I'm actually much more curious to see if the Browns can actually hire a competent coach and whether a competent coach could turn that dumpster fire around. They have a lot of talent on offense (more than the Cowboys, minus o-line), could a good coach actually manage the admittedly horrible personalities? Not a Browns fan, just curious.

I hope Jerry never wins another title.

O line pretty important. Zeke better then any RB on Cleveland’s roster. Witten better then any Browns TE. Dak or Baker? Probably go with Dak. Both suck as far as NFL elite QBs go. WRs toss up

I could see them going after a bunch of the guys who "retired"...namely Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bill Cowher, and Tony Dungy (listed youngest to oldest).

None of those coaches fit the Sean McVeigh model, so Jones might look to go younger, but you've got to assume Jones wants this to be his last major hire and wants someone proven. Actually, that's what a rational elder statesman would do, so he'll probably go rogue and hire someone like the Broncos did last year.

Last edited:
as long as Jerry is there, I don't expect them to be overly competitive. his ego is too over the top still to allow someone he don't know that well to run his game for him. he was teammates at Arkansas with Barry & Jimmy, that's just how he is wired, old school control freak, IMO.

as long as Jerry is there, I don't expect them to be overly competitive. his ego is too over the top still to allow someone he don't know that well to run his game for him. he was teammates at Arkansas with Barry & Jimmy, that's just how he is wired, old school control freak, IMO.
Jerry should name himself the coach

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT