ADVERTISEMENT

Cowbell

giphy.gif

I watched his Hudl video and he looks like Andre The Giant playing with a bunch of runts. His style of play reminded me of Toniu Fonoti. Dude just buried the guy in front of him on most plays, and if there wasn't somebody there, he went and found somebody to bury. You have to like that fire and mean streak. That is nice to have in a lineman. Bonus is he is giant.

Nice! Love getting those big uglies.
In this case, he's kind of a big handsome. One of my college frat brothers was an O lineman. The kid looked like a Greek God. There was a steady stream of very attractive young ladies that would come around looking for him. Sometimes when he would hear which girl it was he would go and hide in somebody else's room and tell us to tell her he had left.

yeah I have noticed 24/7 and Rivals haven’t been seeing eye to eye on some prospects. But when push comes to shove I’ll take Rivals word over 24/7 more times then not.
I tend to agree with this assessment.
I also think that of all the positions on a football team, offensive line is the hardest one to rate. Sure, upper level high school guys tend to trend well in college too. Stars matter, especially with the more elite guys. However, I think offensive line really is a position where a kid with the right frame can be developed into a good to great player. So there really are more “diamonds in the rough” on the offensive line than elsewhere. NU once made a dynasty out of such offensive lineman. Wisconsin and Iowa have done well in this regard as well.

Last edited:
I also think that of all the positions on a football tram, offensive line is the hardest one to rate. Sure, upper level high school guys tend to trend well in college too. Stars matter, especially with the more elite guys. However, I think offensive line really is a position where a kid with the right frame can be developed into a good to great player. So there really are more “diamonds in the rough” on the offensive line than elsewhere. NU once made a dynasty out of such offensive lineman. Wisconsin and Iowa have done well in this regard as well.
I think one is seeing the trend, the other not seeing the benefits.
If you're slow slow, or too tall and lose leverage, fine.
But todays game calls for alot of reach blocks, where a little slow isn't as bad as not getting your hands on your guy.
If you're shorter plus likely have shorter arms, these blocks are harder to make even with good speed.

One thing that's either weird, or telling is, tos down rated Corcoran when it was found our he was a qtr in shorter than listed. Maybe his arms are shorter too, don't have that info, but either way, while their writing of his play was exemplary,they still down rated him. Leaving only his height it would seem, as to why.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Defensive and offensive tackles are the two toughest positions to find quality players, for any team, college or pro. Especially defensive tackles. So when you find a 3 Star big bodied kid like this who can play tackle, you take him. This is in my opinion a great get for us. Frost is rebuilding the pipeline.
Frost understands something Charlie McBride mentioned years ago with regard to Solich’s downfall. The big difference in Nebraska football post Osborne has been the decline in our offensive line. Solich killed the pipeline through poor recruiting and it cost him dearly. Frost knows. Everything starts up front with the offensive line.

Defensive and offensive tackles are the two toughest positions to find quality players, for any team, college or pro. Especially defensive tackles. So when you find a 3 Star big bodied kid like this who can play tackle, you take him. This is in my opinion a great get for us. Frost is rebuilding the pipeline.
Frost understands something Charlie McBride mentioned years ago with regard to Solich’s downfall. The big difference in Nebraska football post Osborne has been the decline in our offensive line. Solich killed the pipeline through poor recruiting and it cost him dearly. Frost knows. Everything starts up front with the offensive line.
My whole thing is, the staff is elevating their own recruiting, waaaay ahead of previous staffs.
They have secured their 'A' guys each year, and followed up with decent guys.
Add this guy in with Teddy P, and its the next level even for the staff imo.

The rate we are bringing these guys in is increasing, and at higher ceiling levels, your darn right our O line at least, is on the rise.

A lot of the reason was Uncle Milt had trouble walking and couldn’t travel like he once did so travelIng suffered for him trying to talk and meet recruits..

A lot of the reason was Uncle Milt had trouble walking and couldn’t travel like he once did so travelIng suffered for him trying to talk and meet recruits..
And hard to convince a 17 year old kid that an old man who can’t walk is going to be able to coach him properly or to even be a coach for much longer. I loved Uncle Milt and my guess is he stayed on longer than he wanted to out of loyalty to Tom and Frank. But it cost us.

And hard to convince a 17 year old kid that an old man who can’t walk is going to be able to coach him properly or to even be a coach for much longer. I loved Uncle Milt and my guess is he stayed on longer than he wanted to out of loyalty to Tom and Frank. But it cost us.

Hoping Austin sticks around for the next couple decades. We need that stability to rebuild and maintain the pipeline.

I also think that of all the positions on a football tram, offensive line is the hardest one to rate. Sure, upper level high school guys tend to trend well in college too. Stars matter, especially with the more elite guys. However, I think offensive line really is a position where a kid with the right frame can be developed into a good to great player. So there really are more “diamonds in the rough” on the offensive line than elsewhere. NU once made a dynasty out of such offensive lineman. Wisconsin and Iowa have done well in this regard as well.

Agree, I like the tall athletic former TEs switching to OL like M. Anderson, Fritsche, Banks, Cameron. Not sure how athletic this kid is but he's big enough for sure.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I take whichever one has the kid rated higher

lmao...I do the same thing. I always call the recruit by the highest ranking they get off of ESPN, 24/7 and/or Rivals. I was trying to get some brownie points from Kaz36 there...;)

it’s like Randolph Kpai, Rivals is the only site listing him as a 3 star OLB (borderline 4star at that 5.7) while 24/7 and ESPN both list him as a 4 star and a high 4 start at that. He’s in the Top 100 on 24/7 and inside the Top 160 range on ESPN. So naturally I call Kpai a Top 100 talent then.

Last edited:
I think one is seeing the trend, the other not seeing the benefits.
If you're slow slow, or too tall and lose leverage, fine.
But todays game calls for alot of reach blocks, where a little slow isn't as bad as not getting your hands on your guy.
If you're shorter plus likely have shorter arms, these blocks are harder to make even with good speed.

One thing that's either weird, or telling is, tos down rated Corcoran when it was found our he was a qtr in shorter than listed. Maybe his arms are shorter too, don't have that info, but either way, while their writing of his play was exemplary,they still down rated him. Leaving only his height it would seem, as to why.

I have a feeling we may see Turner Corcoran as a OG with B Benhart and B Banks playing OT. Which isn’t a bad thing, Turner at 6’5-6’6 is the shortest OLmen we landed that past several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
Hoping Austin sticks around for the next couple decades. We need that stability to rebuild and maintain the pipeline.
I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with Austin. He's shown he can coach em up, and not just the first five.
Losing his leadership year one hurt until just after mid year last year.
I believe there's examples all around now, the younger guys get it, the older guys are leading and setting examples.
It's on its way, but like anything O line, it just takes a little longer.

I have a feeling we may see Turner Corcoran as a OG with B Benhart and B Banks playing OT. Which isn’t a bad thing, Turner at 6’5-6’6 is the shortest OLmen we landed that past several years.
Piper at 6'4 is shorter and is a beast. I could see Corcoran moving inside, I could also see him and Benhart at OT's, with Piper and the German kid at OG's and Jurgens at Center.

Piper at 6'4 is shorter and is a beast. I could see Corcoran moving inside, I could also see him and Benhart at OT's, with Piper and the German kid at OG's and Jurgens at Center.
Piper is tearing it up. But I think his wingspan is good for his height,his motor is relentless, true homegrown!

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT