ADVERTISEMENT

Covid survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have met 1 person who had it. They're fine. I know 1 person who says their friend died, older with health issues.

No one else at work has admitted to knowing anyone who had it.

I believe I had it in February but was never tested. I was extremely tired and had real bad dry cough for a couple of days I also had a fever for 2 days. The tiredness held on for 3 or 4 weeks

A person I know worked at an old folks home and 18 people got it. Most of the sickness was mild with a fever of 101 but one person did pass away.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It's pretty weird that we haven't heard from one non-survivor on this thread. This whole virus seems to be a big hoax. What are they not telling us.
Good one. When you look at the case fatality rates, that shouldn't really surprise you that not many people know non-survivors. Roughly half of deaths are occurring in nursing home patients IF you adjust for New York's deceptive case reporting. Everybody has their panties in a wad over the exceptions rather than the usual case outcomes. Yes you can have long term effects from the virus even if you live, BUT if you're reasonably young and otherwise healthy, those are normally not all that common either. What they are NOT telling you in most of the examples of younger Americans dying or having horrible long term effects is the underlying conditions those people were already suffering from. It really pisses off one Dr. I know who treats COVID-19 patients.

I think the non-survivors had their posting privileges revoked as well. They can still vote in Chicago though.

both myself (33) and fiance (28, oncology nurse) became ill for ~9 days in January (fever, sore throat, persistent cough, etc.). we've each since tested positive for antibodies.

so, either the sickness we had in Jan was covid (pre-testing in the US), or we had it later and were asymptomatic.
how did you get tested for antibodies?

not saying you didn't have it but keep in mind that even today where only symptomatic people can get a test that over 95% of the time its not covid. at least according to the test. now go back to february you would expect that number to be even lower. so there is a chance it was covid. but it would be a very very very small chance. unless the false negative rate is extremely high for the test
Was talking to our family doc last week. They said they had a virus go through their whole clinic staff that had all the symptoms of Covid. 10 of them got tested for Covid all came back negative. So yes either the tests are horribly inaccurate or most people who think they had Covid realistically had something else.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree there are far more people infected than the numbers say. I just think if anyone has a sore throat, cough and fever they think they had Covid. Odds are it probably wasn't. The Article said they believe for every 1 person detected they believe 10 more have. So by those numbers around 20 million Americans have had it so far. There are about 360 million in the US.

Reactions: egaRdeR
I just think if anyone has a sore throat, cough and fever they think they had Covid.
Or sometimes you just get tired of wondering. I had a bout with bronchitis earlier this year and was fairly certain I didn't have the virus because there was no fever or fatigue, but I had a strange lung discomfort that hung around for weeks. So I finally got tested (and was negative) because I just got tired of worrying that I might spread the virus to someone else.

i know one person in my whole life who has tested positive for the flu.
one.
i know 0 who have died from it.
now, thats a hoax...

I'm battling it right now after showing the symptoms the last few hours at work this past Monday morning. Started with fatigue, fever then a nagging cough. By the time I arrived home I had chills so I threw on a sweatshirt then tried to get some sleep under a comforter. Unfortunately with all the body aches and pain including a mild headache I've had all week sleep doesn't come either often or easy. The fatigue and fever comes and goes but if I start to feel halfway decent and do anything to exert energy the fatigue, fever and chills show back up almost immediately.

My daughter who lives in North Carolina had the virus in the latter part of April and was extremely sick to the point of gasping for breath while here lungs ached. She also described having fatigue, cough and overall body aches. Her severe symptoms subsided after 3 weeks while the minor ones took an additional 2 weeks to fade.

BTW she is 30 and in excellent shape, the type of person who watches everything she eats while getting plenty of exercise. She told me how horrifying it was laying down and not knowing if she would be on a ventilator if she woke back up.

I'm battling it right now after showing the symptoms the last few hours at work this past Monday morning. Started with fatigue, fever then a nagging cough. By the time I arrived home I had chills so I threw on a sweatshirt then tried to get some sleep under a comforter. Unfortunately with all the body aches and pain including a mild headache I've had all week sleep doesn't come either often or easy. The fatigue and fever comes and goes but if I start to feel halfway decent and do anything to exert energy the fatigue, fever and chills show back up almost immediately.

My daughter who lives in North Carolina had the virus in the latter part of April and was extremely sick to the point of gasping for breath while here lungs ached. She also described having fatigue, cough and overall body aches. Her severe symptoms subsided after 3 weeks while the minor ones took an additional 2 weeks to fade.

BTW she is 30 and in excellent shape, the type of person who watches everything she eats while getting plenty of exercise. She told me how horrifying it was laying down and not knowing if she would be on a ventilator if she woke back up.
thanks for sharing! people need to know what is going on out there...just because they dont have it.

I havent had it yet. My daughter was hanging out with a girl that tested positive the day after they hung out. Luckily my daughter tested negative. The girl she was with only had no taste and smell symptoms. Another friend of mine had it and survived but he said he felt like death. He also has diabetes though. Its crazy how so many people have such a wide range of symptoms.

Nephew, 20, spent two weeks very ill in February while studying in London. His sister, 22, contracted it in Spain, then flew back to U.S. with all the symptoms in March but wasn't checked at airport. She tested positive within days of returning to the U.S. Was very ill but not hospitalized. She passed the virus to her mother, 58, who was ill for several weeks, and is still not fully healthy, though she's back to working out. This is a very athletic and healthy family. Father does not appear to have contracted it. He's 65.

Healthcare CEOs of the Texas Medical Center (Houston) said during a Thursday press conference that a letter that was sent out to the community Wednesday regarding the hospital system's "increasingly stretched" ICU capacity level was "misinterpreted," and stressed the pandemic is not eclipsing hospital capabilities to care for COVID-19-positive and other patients.

Following reports that TMC had reached 97 percent capacity, Dr. Marc Boom, Houston Methodist President and CEO, said ICU capacity percentages in the 80s or 90s is "completely normal."

"We have the ability to go far higher than that in terms of the ICU beds we can utilize for COVID-19 patients," Boom said. "...We have PPE (personal protection equipment) we have the capability, (and) we have learned enormous amounts about caring for people with COVID-19."

Weird.....

Those short on brains do weird shit. Last year they ate detergent pods now it’s wrecking statues and peoples businesses. Next year they might move to cutting off their junk.

Next year? No Americans will be around, you haven't heard, we are all gonna die from the COVID.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
We have no idea about the durability of the antibody response

That's a misleading statement. Antibodies have a varying half life in the blood stream, BUT the body is able to produce more antibodies via an anamnestic response (your immune system remembers the pathogens and ramps up production of more antibodies to the virus). There is also a response by your cell mediated immune system which will "remember" the virus and attack. There is not an easy way to measure CMI. MOST Corona viruses in animals produce at least a year of protective immunity. Google Helper and Killer T Cells if you want to know more about CMI.

The more significant thing to me is that you may have had COVID and then not get tested for anitibodies until months later. It is very possible that the antibodies produced to that original infection may be gone so that you'll test negative on an antibody test even though you in FACT may be immune to COVID.

As I've said from early on, testing is NOT a panacea. In some ways it is of limited use.

Last edited:
Healthcare CEOs of the Texas Medical Center (Houston) said during a Thursday press conference that a letter that was sent out to the community Wednesday regarding the hospital system's "increasingly stretched" ICU capacity level was "misinterpreted," and stressed the pandemic is not eclipsing hospital capabilities to care for COVID-19-positive and other patients.

Following reports that TMC had reached 97 percent capacity, Dr. Marc Boom, Houston Methodist President and CEO, said ICU capacity percentages in the 80s or 90s is "completely normal."

"We have the ability to go far higher than that in terms of the ICU beds we can utilize for COVID-19 patients," Boom said. "...We have PPE (personal protection equipment) we have the capability, (and) we have learned enormous amounts about caring for people with COVID-19."

Weird.....
People are using really misinformation IMO to further agendas. Much the same as Cuomo screaming for ventilators they already had and didn't really need. Maybe the agenda is noble and they're just trying to scare the youngsters in to practicing better prevention but no doubt some are after the governor.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Those short on brains do weird shit. Last year they ate detergent pods now it’s wrecking statues and peoples businesses. Next year they might move to cutting off their junk.
We can only hope they cut off their own junk so they can't reproduce....

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Or sometimes you just get tired of wondering. I had a bout with bronchitis earlier this year and was fairly certain I didn't have the virus because there was no fever or fatigue, but I had a strange lung discomfort that hung around for weeks. So I finally got tested (and was negative) because I just got tired of worrying that I might spread the virus to someone else.
Unfortunately false negatives seem to be pretty common. They're still getting some false positives as well. People hanging their hats on testing are chasing ghosts IMO. It's ONE of the things that raises questions for me about trying to test athletes as some sort of mitigation methodology.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That's a misleading statement. Antibodies have a varying half life in the blood stream, BUT the body is able to produce more antibodies via an anamnestic response (your immune system remembers the pathogens and ramps up production of more antibodies to the virus). There is also a response by your cell mediated immune system which will "remember" the virus and attack. There is not an easy way to measure CMI. MOST Corona viruses in animals produce at least a year of protective immunity. Google Helper and Killer T Cells if you want to know more about CMI.

The more significant thing to me is that you may have had COVID and then not get tested for anitibodies until months later. It is very possible that the antibodies produced to that original infection may be gone so that you'll test negative on an antibody test even though you in FACT may be immune to COVID.

As I've said from early on, testing is NOT a panacea. In some ways it is of limited use.
I think the only way we are going to know how long a person is immune is the good old wait and see method. When/if we start seeing reinfections a year or more down the road. Is it possible this is like a chicken pox type of thing and once you get it you are safe for life? Have heard it is probably going to be similar to the flu that once you get it you are safe for a year or 2.

To me it’s a simple as this, you’ve already had it and you knew it, you’ve already had it and you didn’t know it, you have it now and don’t know it, you have it know and know it or you’re gonna have it.

I was just hearing about a Tyson food plant that tested 1100 employees, all of the employees I believe.

of those 1100 tested, roughly 200 tested positive (17%ish) of the 200, 1 was systematic. The other 199 would have never known.

I read this and thought about the old country song that said "Somebody told us that Wall Street fell but we was so poor we couldn't tell"

...and this one...

"Since my phone still ain't ringing I assume it still ain't you"

Last edited:
Unfortunately false negatives seem to be pretty common. They're still getting some false positives as well. People hanging their hats on testing are chasing ghosts IMO. It's ONE of the things that raises questions for me about trying to test athletes as some sort of mitigation methodology.

You still hearing vit d, c and zinc as good supplementation?

Reactions: bluenrg
People are using really misinformation IMO to further agendas. Much the same as Cuomo screaming for ventilators they already had and didn't really need. Maybe the agenda is noble and they're just trying to scare the youngsters in to practicing better prevention but no doubt some are after the governor.
A lot of it is not willful deceit, people just know very little about human physiology, virology, immunology, etc. We do it constantly with "oh this food is bad don't eat it, no now it's good eat tons of it, ok wait eat some of it but also eat other stuff..." So they think they understand but they have it mixed up.

It's challenging to read a study and understand the outcomes and methods if you've been trained to do it. The average person has no idea about why correlation may or may not imply causality.

You hear something and it makes sense to your brain to go, "Oh I heard that ICUs in Houston are at 80-90% of capacity and their cases are rising, they're in trouble, they'll have to start shipping patients out to other ICUs." Then you get more context that it's not unusual to be at that % of capacity and they have reserve capacity that they don't necessarily count in that first statistic.

I stopped really following the day-to-day hypotheses on it and just assumed that for the foreseeable future, I'm going to be wearing my mask around strangers and not going to big gatherings or restaurants and washing my hands like I'm supposed to.

You still hearing vit d, c and zinc as good supplementation?
Last I've seen there isn't support to the notion that vitamin c loading does anything to help immunity to anything. Vitamin D has well-documented benefits to getting your recommended daily regardless of whether it does anything to help against COVID. Zinc is also a good one.

Worst you do taking a good daily multi-vitamin once a day is you don't get any benefit and you spent like 10 bucks for the big bottle of them. If you're not good about eating a varied diet the way I am, they're beneficial. But read the label to find one with Vit D, they don't all have it. No joke, the prenatal vitamins are the best ones. They won't pregnancy test you, you can just buy them.

Reactions: bluenrg and 9and4
I was just hearing about a Tyson food plant that tested 1100 employees, all of the employees I believe.

of those 1100 tested, roughly 200 tested positive (17%ish) of the 200, 1 was systematic. The other 199 would have never known.
Automatic systematic? Full of color self-contained?

Reactions: 9and4
With regard to deaths, nobody in my immediate circle has died or caught it that I know of. I do know people who have lost their parents. A girl I graduated HS with lost her dad to it.

A member of ours lost both his parents in the same week. Nicest guy you could possibly meet, he owns a funeral home and I bet he never in all his years imagined he'd have to do the arrangements for both his parents the same week and only 10 people would be allowed to attend the funeral.

Let me promise you, our members are not screwing around about how they embalm these people's lungs and their oral and nasal cavities or prep them to be transported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT