ADVERTISEMENT

Covid survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a high chance I was exposed, be it through our outbreak at work or from my toddler son who had the symptoms but was never tested due to being early when they were only testing hospitalized cases. No definite information though.

My wifes cousin (35)and uncle (62) had it. Both were very sick for about a week, but no hospitalization needed. Fully recovered. They said it was the sickest they have ever felt. Im not afraid of this but I sure as hell don't want it after talking to them.
What did it feel like for them. A horrible flu or more like pneumonia? Just wondering

What did it feel like for them. A horrible flu or more like pneumonia? Just wondering
Sounded like both. Just felt horrible, high fevers, body aches, sore throat. Sounded like her uncle had it worse than cousin. said it was the constant coughing that wore him out the most. Just relentless I guess. Hard to sleep, said it was a hard cough that no medicine would help. Hard to catch your breath because of the coughing. Was close to going to hospital because he was having a hard time breathing.

Reactions: bluenrg
I was tested and came back negative. I was sick for 10 out of 14 days. Had all the symptoms. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Never had pneumonia before so can’t compare to previous sicknesses. I felt like I had a horrible flu, but for 3 out of 14 days I had a hard time breathing.

Was tested. Had a lot of symptoms, but it came back negative.

Only thing I was officially diagnosed with was an ear infection. Was sick about 2 weeks.

Only thing I was officially diagnosed with was an ear infection. Was sick about 2 weeks.

Whatever I had wasn't like anything I've had before. I wasn't the most sick ever but persistent and zapped me of all my energy.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Sounded like both. Just felt horrible, high fevers, body aches, sore throat. Sounded like her uncle had it worse than cousin. said it was the constant coughing that wore him out the most. Just relentless I guess. Hard to sleep, said it was a hard cough that no medicine would help. Hard to catch your breath because of the coughing. Was close to going to hospital because he was having a hard time breathing.

I was tested and came back negative. I was sick for 10 out of 14 days. Had all the symptoms. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Never had pneumonia before so can’t compare to previous sicknesses. I felt like I had a horrible flu, but for 3 out of 14 days I had a hard time breathing.

Could all of you comment on when you became ill..How long ago?

Pretty sure my wife and one of my sons had it back in January. They had all of the symptoms. Fever, cough, respiratory issues, tired etc. My wife went to the doctor a couple months later for another issue and told the doctor what she had and he agreed that she showed a lot of the symptoms and very well could have had it.

Reactions: CBurns05
One of my brothers, who lives in Europe, had it. He said it was the sickest he has ever felt. Basically like a really bad flu. He felt absolutely awful, fever, sore throat, body hurt. Lasted about a week. He got tested twice. First time negative, second time positive. He got over it quickly after that and has had no lasting effects.

Could all of you comment on when you became ill..How long ago?

March 13 is when I spiked a temp. Otherwise had a dry nagging cough about a week before. Once I spiked a temp I was out and home for 14 days total. I got sick, my mom and daughter got sick, my son and wife never really got sick.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Pretty sure I did in late February/ early March. Fever, chills, fever, chills, etc. Bad cough that became painful. Sounded like a pneumonia cough where you can hear fluid but it doesn't come out. On top of those, it felt like a really bad hangover that lasted for about 3 days.

Pretty sure my wife and one of my sons had it back in January. They had all of the symptoms. Fever, cough, respiratory issues, tired etc. My wife went to the doctor a couple months later for another issue and told the doctor what she had and he agreed that she showed a lot of the symptoms and very well could have had it.
not saying you didn't have it but keep in mind that even today where only symptomatic people can get a test that over 95% of the time its not covid. at least according to the test. now go back to february you would expect that number to be even lower. so there is a chance it was covid. but it would be a very very very small chance. unless the false negative rate is extremely high for the test

Reactions: husker2612
A co-worker of mine, and his wife, got it approximately 3 months ago. The wife didn't need to be hospitalized. He unfortunately was on a ventilator for 2 weeks and hospitalized for a month. After the hospital he required physical therapy for his speech, due to the ventilator, and walking due to being in bed for a month. He was off work for a little over 2 months. He is a big guy who is in fairly good physical shape but he does have diabetes so they believe that is why it hit him so hard. (Oh, and he is a Huskers fan)

I had either that or a bad flu in February. Most likely the flu because several people at our house and my daughter's mom's house tested positive for flu. When I went for the test at the CVS Minute Clinic it didn't come back positive for Influenza A or B. So that's why I wonder. We had traveled to Austin a couple weeks prior.

Fever, aches, chills, obnoxious post-nasal drip and cough, pretty bad fatigue. It was at least two full weeks before I felt right again. Eventually I will get around to getting the anitbody test. Come to think of it, maybe they did it for me when I donated platelets.

Drs think I had it couple months ago. Only tested medical personnel so not confirmed. Felt ok except had a terrible cough to point of blacking out. Mine turned into pneumonia and I've been back to work almost 2 months and lungs still hurt. Also extreme fatigue I'm still fighting occasionally.

A friend of mine who lives in NYC had it. He had the classic symptoms, too:

1.) Started feeling sick on a Thursday. By the next morning, had a temp of 102.
2.) It pretty much stayed that way for the next week (he just slept on the couch away from his wife, took over-the-counter meds, drank a lot of water, and watched a lot of tv).
3.) After a week, he had the classic "I feel better" day followed by a crash the very next day, fever back up to 101-102. <-- They say this is a common occurrence with COVID-19.

After exactly 2 weeks, he regained his sense of smell and taste and the fever dropped. He said it really sucked, because you get a little weird running a fever for that long. He didn't have any chest pain or cough, but he had the sore throat and couldn't smell or taste anything the entire time. He said it absolutely sucks and the only good part is he didn't die and now he's immune.

both myself (33) and fiance (28, oncology nurse) became ill for ~9 days in January (fever, sore throat, persistent cough, etc.). we've each since tested positive for antibodies.

so, either the sickness we had in Jan was covid (pre-testing in the US), or we had it later and were asymptomatic.

Our friends' daughter caught it and was hospitalized for a few days. Extremely healthy in her 20's. Two months later, she's still battling headaches, shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. Has been able to return to work for an hour or two a day.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Our friends' daughter caught it and was hospitalized for a few days. Extremely healthy in her 20's. Two months later, she's still battling headaches, shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. Has been able to return to work for an hour or two a day.

Yeah that's the other thing; many people recover and are fine, but some people recover and have lasting damage that may take months or even years to recover from.

Reactions: TheBeav815

1.) Started feeling sick on a Thursday. By the next morning, had a temp of 102.
2.) It pretty much stayed that way for the next week (he just slept on the couch away from his wife, took over-the-counter meds, drank a lot of water, and watched a lot of tv).
3.) After a week, he had the classic "I feel better" day followed by a crash the very next day, fever back up to 101-102. <-- They say this is a common occurrence with COVID-19.

After exactly 2 weeks, he regained his sense of smell and taste and the fever dropped. He said it really sucked, because you get a little weird running a fever for that long. He didn't have any chest pain or cough, but he had the sore throat and couldn't smell or taste anything the entire time. He said it absolutely sucks and the only good part is he didn't die and now he's immune.
Day 7 seems to be the crash day for hospitalized patients. If you make it past that without falling to pieces you seem to do okay.

Yeah that's the other thing; many people recover and are fine, but some people recover and have lasting damage that may take months or even years to recover from.
The vast majority of people recover relatively quickly if they get sick at all. Any viral illness involving the lungs in particular can cause a similar scenario. I've had viral pneumonia from influenza and it took me several months to get over that then ended up with chronic asthma. That can cause permanent lung damage as well. I was skeptical at first of the dietary and environmental links to the severity and duration of disease form COVID. Not anymore. They've shown some pretty good data linking nutritional deficiencies and lack of sunlight to increased severity. Moral of the story is to get some sunlight everyday for Vitamin D, eat some red meat for Zinc and get your Vitamin C from somewhere.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The vast majority of people recover relatively quickly if they get sick at all. Any viral illness involving the lungs in particular can cause a similar scenario. I've had viral pneumonia from influenza and it took me several months to get over that then ended up with chronic asthma. That can cause permanent lung damage as well. I was skeptical at first of the dietary and environmental links to the severity and duration of disease form COVID. Not anymore. They've shown some pretty good data linking nutritional deficiencies and lack of sunlight to increased severity. Moral of the story is to get some sunlight everyday for Vitamin D, eat some red meat for Zinc and get your Vitamin C from somewhere.
more than 99% of deaths in the US were vitamin D deficient.

more than 99% of deaths in the US were vitamin D deficient.
Do you remember where you saw that study? In my opinion, it was ludicrous to lock people in their homes in urban eastern cities. I've seen multiple stories linking symptomatic infections with Vitamin D deficiency but I haven't seen that kind of postmortem data. That kind of makes the stay at home stay inside orders look pretty bad. I spend a LOT of time outside and I've ALWAYS worn hats and even long sleeved shirts for the past 4-5 years at the advice of my Dr. That stopped when I started reading the linkage of Vitamin D deficiency to the severity of disease. No hats and no long sleeved shirts.

My twin sister had it, was down for a month. She came thru OK, and as a nurse and a very sympathetic person and one of the most Godly woman you might ever meet, even she will tell you it is impossible to wait for every last Covid germ to leave this planet before opening back up and moving forward.

observational data is hypothesis generating that need to be confirmed in randomized trials

taking vitamin d probably won't hurt you

there were several observational reports regarding hydroxychloroquine that got everyone excited - that when studied were proven to be false and in some cases harmful

there may be something to vit D - but observational data does not equal evidence

vitamin D is a negative phase reactant which mean the levels go down when one is sick

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6166351/#:~:text=Vitamin D (25[OH],were found to be decreased.

interesting observations - needs to be tested

Last edited:
and now he's immune.

I thought I saw an article the other day saying this may not be the case anymore. I am sure someone here knows a lot more about it than me though as I kind of stopped reading about it.

I’m amazed at how many people were sick with the flu like symptoms in early February. I had a 102 fever with chills and coughing. Our hospital was so full they told people to stay home unless it was an emergency. I got better a week later, but makes you wonder about things.

I’m glad I never went to visit my parents that weekend like I planned and then they got sick too.

Do you remember where you saw that study? In my opinion, it was ludicrous to lock people in their homes in urban eastern cities. I've seen multiple stories linking symptomatic infections with Vitamin D deficiency but I haven't seen that kind of postmortem data. That kind of makes the stay at home stay inside orders look pretty bad. I spend a LOT of time outside and I've ALWAYS worn hats and even long sleeved shirts for the past 4-5 years at the advice of my Dr. That stopped when I started reading the linkage of Vitamin D deficiency to the severity of disease. No hats and no long sleeved shirts.
somewhere in here if I remember correctly

somewhere in here if I remember correctly

Very early on in this a friend of mine who is a brilliant scientist shared with me the historical relationship with influenza prevalence and Vitamin D level assays. Is it significant? The only way probably to prove the theory with COVID would be to do a large double blind study. At this point, I'm going to accept it as fact because it costs me nothing to make sure my Vitamin D levels are up to snuff.

observational data is hypothesis generating that need to be confirmed in randomized trials

taking vitamin d probably won't hurt you

there were several observational reports regarding hydroxychloroquine that got everyone excited - that when studied were proven to be false and in some cases harmful

there may be something to vit D - but observational data does not equal evidence

vitamin D is a negative phase reactant which mean the levels go down when one is sick

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6166351/#:~:text=Vitamin D (25[OH],were found to be decreased.

interesting observations - needs to be tested
The obvious way would be to do vitamin D levels THEN expose a group to COVID. Would you like to volunteer for that study? We'll eve make sure you're in the supplemented Vitamin D level group....Winking actually it already has been done for generic respiratory infections and the result was a pretty dramatic reduction in illnesses. I think your link is the same article I read.

99.99%........didn't read anything posted here, but if i'm wrong, let me know. And if some of the east coast states weren't actually killing people by forcing them on vents before needed and putting infected people in nursing homes that exacerbated the problem, let me know.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT