Covid Lab Leak Theory

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
So...because I've been taking the month of July off of TOS (and Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media).

But I wanted to come in to talk about science for just a moment because I think this particular thing highlights what is great about science.

One of the things I love most about science is that you don't have to be beholden to any particular set of ideals/ideology. That eventually in the end, the facts and evidence will win out. That ultimately if you want to beat your chest about something in the scientific community, you've got to find proof.

Well, once such thing was based around the idea that the "lab leak" was total fringe theory. Admittedly, I myself thought it was too but that was based off an early opinion by a ton of scientists that wet market spillover was much more likely.

Now...to be clear...if you claim you KNOW it was from a lab leak or you claim that you've always KNOWN then you are wrong. We don't know. It could have come from a lab, it could have come from spillover. We just plain DO NOT KNOW.

The point of this post is that while it was dismissed early as a fringe theory, it is clear now that the media really f*cked this one up. But what is great about science is that it has a built in system for correcting this sort of thing and that's absolutely what's happening right now.

As usual...Johnny Harris kills it. He's generally a little more liberal, but he absolutely takes to task his own "people" (journalists and liberals).

This is worth the watch regardless of your political slant.

P.S. I'll probably check back in this thread a couple times but then I'll be back to my TOS hiatus until August ;) Love you all, hope your life is as blessed as mine.

Cosmoc

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2004
Corpus Christi, TX
Sole-source media should never be trusted. Extract your own information through reading numerous sources, especially those you normally don't agree with.

In the interest of politicizing this and making it divisive during the last administration, facts were willfully ignored and manipulated by the media. Instead of coming together to listen and learn as facts were obtained, the left and main stream media choose to use it to deceive voters to vote for the democrat candidate, despite him being mentally unfit, and his running mate being unqualified.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Sole-source media should never be trusted. Extract your own information through reading numerous sources, especially those you normally don't agree with.

In the interest of politicizing this and making it divisive during the last administration, facts were willfully ignored and manipulated by the media. Instead of coming together to listen and learn as facts were obtained, the left and main stream media choose to use it to deceive voters to vote for the democrat candidate, despite him being mentally unfit, and his running mate being unqualified.
It's not like this is just a left thing. The right continuously ignores facts and dismisses stuff based on what they want to be true (or just anti what the other guys says).

It's definitely a thing that goes both ways.

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
Your whole political viewpoint is a lie. Trump was right, just say it. Instead of convincing your lib buddies that Trump is "crazy" and "wrong about everything", Trump has been proven right and the left has been wrong. Admit it and say "sorry" and we'll forgive you.

Bless you and your family.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Your whole political viewpoint is a lie. Trump was right, just say it. Instead of convincing your lib buddies that Trump is "crazy" and "wrong about everything", Trump has been proven right and the left has been wrong. Admit it and say "sorry" and we'll forgive you.

Bless you and your family.
Did you not read? We don't know. What was wrong was dismissing the lab leak hypothesis as a credible option.

Reactions: stevehammer

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
Did you not read? We don't know. What was wrong was dismissing the lab leak hypothesis as a credible option.
Yeah, now search internally why you went all-in on what the media was telling you. Why did you dismiss the lab leak hypothesis? Was it because you knew that the data was overwhelming on the other side? Did you see evidence that said that it wasn't from a lab? Or was it because of your hatred for Trump and being influenced by the media? Be honest with yourself (and us).

Cosmoc

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2004
Corpus Christi, TX
Yeah, now search internally why you went all-in on what the media was telling you. Why did you dismiss the lab leak hypothesis? Was it because you knew that the data was overwhelming on the other side? Did you see evidence that said that it wasn't from a lab? Or was it because of your hatred for Trump and being influenced by the media? Be honest with yourself (and us).

Leftist media was waaaaaay more interested in blasting President Trump by calling him a racist for using the accurate phrase, Wuhan Flu. And all the brain dead libs swallowed that whole.

Now there's an opportunity to walk back the hate-filled and bold-faced false rhetoric, but we all know that's not gonna happen. People wonder why this government is so untrusted and despised when it comes to forcing the vaccine...

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Again you missed the point.

I didn't go all in on what the media was saying. I don't go all in on anything.

But I did follow what a large majority of the scientists were saying was most likely.

They're still really good evidence for either theory. And science with time came to that conclusion.

The media sucks ass and kept their head in the sand and failed to do their job until recently

whiteshoes97

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004

But I did follow what a large majority of the scientists were saying was most likely.

They're still really good evidence for either theory. And science with time came to that conclusion.

The media sucks ass and kept their head in the sand and failed to do their job until recently
The media didn’t have their head in the sand. They accomplished their intent by convincing half of America that the lab leak theory was a wild conspiracy.

stevehammer

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2001
Leftist media was waaaaaay more interested in blasting President Trump by calling him a racist for using the accurate phrase, Wuhan Flu. And all the brain dead libs swallowed that whole.

Now there's an opportunity to walk back the hate-filled and bold-faced false rhetoric, but we all know that's not gonna happen. People wonder why this government is so untrusted and despised when it comes to forcing the vaccine...
You act like the possibility that the virus came from a lab is justification for all of Trump's failures with regard to the virus. "Wuhan Flu" was used by Trump to incite violence from his nationalistic followers. Sure, it's accurate, but used the way it was by the man who used it incited violence against Asians. Trump is all about dividing people and fomenting the worst in people.

He called the Virus a hoax and continually downplayed it. He downplayed the wearing of masks to reduce transission. He utterly failed to lead in pushing the development of testing and contact tracing resources. Hell, he held a rally in Tulsa while the virus was still prevalent, resulting in the death of Herman Cain, even. He got freaking Covid himself because he didn't want people wearing masks in the White House.

Sure, the virus might have come from a lab, but that doesn't mean Trump didn't completely blow it in a myriad of ways.

Reactions: philosophusker

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011

Why is it the media’s fault when they’re reporting what the experts tell them? Take this passage published February 2020 from one of the most respected medical journals in the world -

“We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries have published and analysed genomesof the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2),1and they overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8,
9, 10as have so many other emerging pathogens.11, 12This is further supported by a letter from the presidents of the US National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine
13 and by the scientific communities they represent. Conspiracy theories do nothing but create fear, rumours, and prejudice that jeopardise our global collaboration in the fight against this virus”

Reactions: philosophusker

huskerfan_12_05

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Lincoln, NE
I would say he nailed it , but why wait til now to look into it? there’s 1000’s of people way ahead of him on this. Maybe instead of always listening to the mainstream narrative & going with that you should ask questions & research yourself on the front side.

I always thought this hypothesis was way more likely than the weird explanation they fabricated at 1st. Our media & journalists especially for the major networks need to start doing their jobs more objectively & effectively or hopefully they are replaced by something better which is already starting to happen. There’s many sources out there I trust over the dimwit “journalists” from major news networks

Reactions: burntorange72

Cosmoc

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2004
Corpus Christi, TX
You act like the possibility that the virus came from a lab is justification for all of Trump's failures with regard to the virus. "Wuhan Flu" was used by Trump to incite violence from his nationalistic followers. Sure, it's accurate, but used the way it was by the man who used it incited violence against Asians. Trump is all about dividing people and fomenting the worst in people.

He called the Virus a hoax and continually downplayed it. He downplayed the wearing of masks to reduce transission. He utterly failed to lead in pushing the development of testing and contact tracing resources. Hell, he held a rally in Tulsa while the virus was still prevalent, resulting in the death of Herman Cain, even. He got freaking Covid himself because he didn't want people wearing masks in the White House.

Sure, the virus might have come from a lab, but that doesn't mean Trump didn't completely blow it in a myriad of ways.

The mental illness which comes from being a lib is demonstrated well in the quote. You have zero capacity for objectivity. You project your own shortcomings on others.

The only violence during that time was the Antifa and BLM criminals looting and burning. You need to get your thugs under control, because Trump is no longer president, yet they're still looting and burning. Unless you and they believe he actually is still duly elected so they continue their insurrection and destruction of other American's way of life.

But then nothing about you people would surprise me. All you do is make shit up then attach one data point to it and talk about it like it's real. Insane in the membrane is the libs theme song...

Latest posts