ADVERTISEMENT

Covid antibody test?

kerpal_68

Athletic Director
Dec 12, 2005
Has anyone had one done and if so do you think they are accurate? Wife had every symptom that came with covid, she still cant smell. She tested positive along with several others we had been around at an event. It's been a couple weeks since she started showing symptoms and neither myself or my kids seemed to get it. I had cold like symptoms a couple weeks ago but pushed it off as allergies and took a covid test with test Nebraska last Wednesday that came back negative. I have drank out of the same cup as my wife when we thought it was probably just allergies and we have slept in the same bed every night. Surely as contagious as covid is I should have got it?

I got one when I donated blood. Came back negative but I still think I had it back at the beginning of the year. I think the antibodies are only there for a certain amount of time though. I've read that they are not very accurate but who knows what to believe anymore.

Took one and so did my daughter. I was 99% sure we had it, came back negative and then had a doc tell me the early Anti Body tests were terrible...

Why take an antibody test? Travel? Go back to work? To say you produced antibodies to the virus? What are you trying to enable yourself to do? Once you answer that question, ask yourself if the antibody test is the best test to enable that action.

My son took an antibody test about 6 weeks ago when we thought he may have had Covid and the real test was taking up to 7 days so we didn't want to wait that long. He had several symptoms, including fever so we were concerned.

The lady that administered the antibody test said she had given it hundreds of times. She always checked back with the patients after their actual Covid test results to see how accurate the antibody test was compared to the Covid test. She said it was extremely accurate, as long as you do the antibody test a few days after getting symptoms as it takes a few days for the body's antibodies to kick (thus show up on the test). She claimed the antibody test did not match the Covid test only once in her experiences.

The nurse was not sure how far back in time it goes. The results took about 20 minutes. Our family Dr believed in the antibody test results enough that he wrote a note allowing our son to return to his normal activities (before the TestNebraska Covid test was returned!) based on the antibody test coming back negative.

The TestNebraska test came back a few days later and confirmed the antibody test, as it was also negative.

Take this for what it's worth...

The school will not allow my daughter to go back to school until the 16th of October due to the department of health. That's almost a month from when she had to start staying home.

I have given blood twice since they added the covid antibody test. Both times the test came back negative.

I, like many, think I probably had it in March...but Probably didn't.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Why take an antibody test? Travel? Go back to work? To say you produced antibodies to the virus? What are you trying to enable yourself to do? Once you answer that question, ask yourself if the antibody test is the best test to enable that action.

If my test would have come back positive for the antibodies when giving blood, I would have offered to donate Plasma (or whatever they take for the therapeutical use) to help those trying to overcome covid.

If my test would have come back positive for the antibodies when giving blood, I would have offered to donate Plasma (or whatever they take for the therapeutical use) to help those trying to overcome covid.
There was a TON of Influenza A going around back in March that mimicked COVID. That said, a COVID antibody test is a quantitative test meaning it tests for your level of antibodies. The further out you are from your infection, the lower your antibody level. SO a person who had COVID in March very well could test negative several months after infection.

My wife has done the same thing 2 times. First was back in June and they just started testing. Negative both times

Most people are doing the Total Antibody test. Not sure anyone (lab) is doing the IGM. You can do an IGG and Total, not sure it’s really telling you much more than a Total by itself. Would wait 7-14 days after symptoms myself. Gotta give your body time to start throwing out the antibodies (probably best to wait on the IGG)

And you can’t assume a Total less the IGG will be your IGM titsr, doesn’t end up working out that way.

Reactions: jmliehr
There was a TON of Influenza A going around back in March that mimicked COVID. That said, a COVID antibody test is a quantitative test meaning it tests for your level of antibodies. The further out you are from your infection, the lower your antibody level. SO a person who had COVID in March very well could test negative several months after infection.

dingle. I just tested positive for COVID. Any idea how long antibodies last? I know there is no definitive answer, but is there any indication of long term immunity or still need to plan on the vaccine when available?

Has anyone had one done and if so do you think they are accurate? Wife had every symptom that came with covid, she still cant smell. She tested positive along with several others we had been around at an event. It's been a couple weeks since she started showing symptoms and neither myself or my kids seemed to get it. I had cold like symptoms a couple weeks ago but pushed it off as allergies and took a covid test with test Nebraska last Wednesday that came back negative. I have drank out of the same cup as my wife when we thought it was probably just allergies and we have slept in the same bed every night. Surely as contagious as covid is I should have got it?

Not necessarily. I thought I had it back in March. I was really sick, test was negative, wife and son not one symptom, daughter was sick, mother was sick, none tested positive. Then in July wife and I had cold symptoms, Employers wanted us to get tested, Me and the Wife both positive, kids negative. Doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: dinglefritz
dingle. I just tested positive for COVID. Any idea how long antibodies last? I know there is no definitive answer, but is there any indication of long term immunity or still need to plan on the vaccine when available?
Antibody test? There's been multiple stories, which I can't confirm the accuracy of, that circulating antibodies only last for several months. That said, our memory T cells IF challenged again with COVID will quickly ramp up protective antibodies again. We won't get guidance on vaccinating people who previously had COVID infections until the vaccines are approved. I'm guessing it will be something along the lines of "you should get vaccinated if you are over 6 months or a year post infection.

As far as protection from having a re-exposure making you ill again, I would feel pretty comfortable thinking that natural immunity protection will last as long as a year. It may depend actually on how sick you got and your viral load. As with the degree of illness experienced by people with COVID, the length that having been infected gives you immunity is going to vary widely I think from person to person.

Not necessarily. I thought I had it back in March. I was really sick, test was negative, wife and son not one symptom, daughter was sick, mother was sick, none tested positive. Then in July wife and I had cold symptoms, Employers wanted us to get tested, Me and the Wife both positive, kids negative. Doesn’t make any sense.
Just visited with a nurse from a local nursing home. They've had multiple employees test positive on routine screens. None had any symptoms. They've had 4 patients test positive fairly recently with no symptoms. Those patients were moved in to isolation but when re-tested tested negative. They believe for some reason they were getting false positive test results. There has been some concern that some commercial tests are too sensitive. I personally would be concerned about lab errors. Medical labs have had to hire extra lab techs to deal with the case load they've experienced.

Reactions: keilwitzg
I had the thought she had a false positive but she literally had about every symptom. Is loss of smell common with other illness?

Common cold is caused by a variety of corona virus, and with a cold toast with melted butter and fresh blueberry jam tastes like cardboard .
I would think pretty much all upper respiratory tract infections would affect sense of smell as the receptors are drowning in mucous .

Common cold is caused by a variety of corona virus, and with a cold toast with melted butter and fresh blueberry jam tastes like cardboard .
I would think pretty much all upper respiratory tract infections would affect sense of smell as the receptors are drowning in mucous .
With COVID I've read some speculation that the loss of smell is actually due to the virus attacking the nerve receptors that relay smell to your brain. With a garden variety cold the loss of smell is more of a mechanical thing from your nose being plugged.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Would encourage (anybody interested) to read up on cell-mediated immunity when trying to understand Covid. There’s more than one reason antibody testing (acute and post) isn’t a focal point with Covid. In the last few months - there have been links posted on this site regarding this.

Having dealt with Covid (first hand) over/over, not sure the body attacks the virus in a typical/predictable manner. Short answer - treat antibody results cautiously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT