ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and it's relevance to Husker football.

The study from third world countries that supports Ivermectin use is skewed IMO because the increased survival rates may have been attributed to reducing parasites in those patients and not because of any actual effect on the virus. Parasite burden is a potentially confounding variable in that study that wasn't accounted for. If your Dr. is willing to prescribe it, knock yourself out but I think you're wasting your money.....well unless you've been eating your cat's feces.
There is plenty of other studies that disagree with you. I’m not going to argue with you about it, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that proves it and I know my moms hospital prescribes it and has had tons of success. I believe in it.

But yet really you have heard nothing. I think things are better than we think but have an invalid saying stupid shit frontline the White House. Maybe some day we can go back to talking facts and giving people the correct info. It’s been awhile
The media needs to promote the story to keep people watching their shows during the dog days of summer. It's in the interest of a ruling party to promote a crisis and be viewed as solving it. That said, there has been a rise in new infections. They have shown that vaccinated people can spread the Delta variant. People are still dying from COVID. In our area it's virtually a non factor though. Nobody wore masks in most places, bars were open and kids were in schools. We've had our spike and I don't think northeast Nebraska is going to go through another one.

There is plenty of other studies that disagree with you. I’m not going to argue with you about it, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that proves it and I know my moms hospital prescribes it and has had tons of success. I believe in it.
As I said, knock yourself out. I haven't seen a well designed study that supports it but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I'll never argue with success.

Reactions: leodisflowers
The study from third world countries that supports Ivermectin use is skewed IMO because the increased survival rates may have been attributed to reducing parasites in those patients and not because of any actual effect on the virus. Parasite burden is a potentially confounding variable in that study that wasn't accounted for. If your Dr. is willing to prescribe it, knock yourself out but I think you're wasting your money.....well unless you've been eating your cat's feces.
my company invented ivermectin. they dont recommend it for covid.

The media needs to promote the story to keep people watching their shows during the dog days of summer. It's in the interest of a ruling party to promote a crisis and be viewed as solving it. That said, there has been a rise in new infections. They have shown that vaccinated people can spread the Delta variant. People are still dying from COVID. In our area it's virtually a non factor though. Nobody wore masks in most places, bars were open and kids were in schools. We've had our spike and I don't think northeast Nebraska is going to go through another one.
I find it comical that in Great Britain (who was hit hard by delta) they kept predicting it was going to get infinitely worse but instead it has burned out. I agree with you that Covid is with us and it isn’t going away. 0 Covid should never be the goal. It’ll be
Like all the normal viruses we deal with

Reactions: Big10domination
Wouldnt the coaches HAVE to be vaxxed in order to be allowed to be in close contact with the players? I know Washington St is going through restrictions with their coach because he wont get the shots
I haven't really seen any guidance from the NCAA or the B1G regarding protocols for athletics. It seems kind of odd given how sure the B1G was that we were going to have AT LEAST 4 deaths from COVID in the B1G if we played football last fall.

I find it comical that in Great Britain (who was hit hard by delta) they kept predicting it was going to get infinitely worse but instead it has burned out. I agree with you that Covid is with us and it isn’t going away. 0 Covid should never be the goal. It’ll be
Zero COVID would be great but it ain't happenin any time soon. We might get to the point where there is a high enough population immunity that it isn't killing any more people than the flu. That would still be a LOT of people though. This thing will be endemic and hopefully mutates to the point where some variant is less harmful than the ones we have now. That would be what one should expect with a virus of this type. My one gnawing fear though is that somehow the Chinese government has manipulated this such that it doesn't do that.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Zero COVID would be great but it ain't happenin any time soon. We might get to the point where there is a high enough population immunity that it isn't killing any more people than the flu. That would still be a LOT of people though. This thing will be endemic and hopefully mutates to the point where some variant is less harmful than the ones we have now. That would be what one should expect with a virus of this type. My one gnawing fear though is that somehow the Chinese government has manipulated this such that it doesn't do that.
Yeah. f the Chinese

Reactions: GBRforLife1
We would've reached herd immunity in 2020 and saved lives and the national treasury if we hadn't locked down.

But why do that when you can control the world by addicting the gullible to this ...

suKLY9EaatjpU9D1jKlX_06_4bb8b2a45b6820309161a79b225d9a03_image.png

Last edited:
In light of the microbiome, I don't think it is wrong to say that covid exacerbates situations that many people may not know they have, like parasites, latent viruses and the like. Eliminating unnecessary microbial burden would only increase chances of survival from Covid.

I know you like to travel. On my trip they were NOWHERE to be found. Crowd sizes were so small when there weren't hordes of tourist busses of Chinese or cruise ships
Gotta love that. They are always all over and so annoying. How was Bosnia by the way. Plan on heading there soon

Get vaxxed and those who aren't need to wear a mask until they are vaxxed. That's it. Not a magic formula. Also not a perfect solution but all evidence points toward the most effective approach for now.
Round and round in circles you go.

Here is the pre-covid pre-politicization data of masks.

I mean there are decades worth of studies, peer reviewed, with control groups!

Now, if the evidence has truly changed, shouldn't it be glaring? Shouldn't we be able to point at some place like NY or LA and compare it another location to see the improvement masks made? But no data supports that and you think we should toss all that aside.

And now it's "just wear a piece of cloth, that's good enough."

It's anti-sensical. That Da Vinci might have been on to something.

Well they keep listening to Neil Ferguson. The real question should be why they keep going back to him.

Gotta love that. They are always all over and so annoying. How was Bosnia by the way. Plan on heading there soon
Probably not the best to ask because it was 106 and all I wanted to do was not be outside. Was able to spend time in Mostar (meh) and Kravice Falls which was cool. Would have liked to get to Sarajevo but time and distance didn't work out. Yugoslavia back in the day would have been gorgeous if not for all the war and regional conflict. Cannot recommend Montenegro enough though. Beautiful part of the world

that might be true except for the fact that most unvaccinated people who refuse to wear masks also frequent one of two places, churches or bars or both. They've likely will already have had COVID by the time football season is in full swing. I expect there to be more cases leading up to school starting but I don't expect hospitalizations to rise much at all in Nebraska or the Dakotas.
Three factors make me think that may not be the case. COVID antibodies of the unvaxed may have worn off depending on prior severity of symptoms and when it occurred. Two, Nebraska middle schools and high schools could be super spreaders this year because kids packed into classrooms may be 90% unmasked instead of 100% masked-- I'm not referring to tiny schools in the sticks that didn't wear masks last year. I say that because I think all schools will start with masks being voluntary and very few will wear masks. Then when cases rise, it will be tough for schools to switch to 100% masks for several reasons. The third reason is that the Delta virus appears to spread more easily and cause worse symptoms among unvaxed.

Housing in all of the "free" states has gone through the roof. South Dakota's real estate values have gone through the roof. I've been looking at buying a cabin or land in the Blackhills. Should have done it 2 years ago.
Prices are going to come back down. All the people who just bought, are going to be upside down for quite some time when deflation hits next year.

Or maybe the numbers didn't get far worse because of their partial lockdown and getting a lot more people vaccinated.

Quarantines are science, lock-downs are supersitition. Disease has to burn thru a population to get to herd immunity. Our collective immune systems would've been better equipped to fight off the evolving variants after arming themselves against the original. In fact we gave it time to learn and evolve by not wiping it out when it was young. It's like putting a newborn in a bubble for the first 24 months of its life. You've now made it more vulnerable by not allowing its natural defenses to learn and strengthen. The idea that if you lock yourself behind a door you've protected yourself from disease is an idea out of the pre-enlightenment. The last 20 months has been the greatest anti-science experiment in history.

BTW, some of the variants seem to be imported thru open borders.

Last edited:
Or maybe the numbers didn't get far worse because of their partial lockdown and getting a lot more people vaccinated.
It would seem to be an interesting idea wouldn't it.

Except there were areas that didn't lock down and did better. All without a vaccine.

There are multiple studies that show the lockdowns cause more harm. The NPIs do nothing while imposing extra costs upon society.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Three factors make me think that may not be the case. COVID antibodies of the unvaxed may have worn off depending on prior severity of symptoms and when it occurred. Two, Nebraska middle schools and high schools could be super spreaders this year because kids packed into classrooms may be 90% unmasked instead of 100% masked-- I'm not referring to tiny schools in the sticks that didn't wear masks last year. I say that because I think all schools will start with masks being voluntary and very few will wear masks. Then when cases rise, it will be tough for schools to switch to 100% masks for several reasons. The third reason is that the Delta virus appears to spread more easily and cause worse symptoms among unvaxed.
Except last year, at the height of the pandemic, when the spread was the greatest, we had entire schools unmasked.

There are private schools that were mask free in areas where public schools were mandated masks. Yet there were no "super spreaders" (which is the most ridiculous, panicky term - totally scientific though :rolleyes:) shutting everything down causing mass illness.

Just like the Big 12 had fans in the stadiums without mass illness - the Big 10 could have also.

FYI for the people who cry that this isn't related to football the Huskers are in the Big 10.

There are almost an infinite number of examples of the panic and fear not being valid. Examples of "public health experts" being proven wrong daily.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Round and round in circles you go.

Here is the pre-covid pre-politicization data of masks.

I mean there are decades worth of studies, peer reviewed, with control groups!

Now, if the evidence has truly changed, shouldn't it be glaring? Shouldn't we be able to point at some place like NY or LA and compare it another location to see the improvement masks made? But no data supports that and you think we should toss all that aside.

And now it's "just wear a piece of cloth, that's good enough."

It's anti-sensical. That Da Vinci might have been on to something.

As I posted nearly a year ago. My concern about masks is that crappy masks worn inappropriately give people a false sense of security from infection. Something over talking spitters is great. It reduces the chances of a large chunk of spittle ending up in my face but other than that, it's marginal. WAY too many people wearing homemade cloth masks were counting on that to save them.

As it relates to Husker football, I hope to hell there's no mask mandate decreed by Chairman Xi errrrrr I mean Lincoln mayor Baird.

I don't think we'll see a huge surge in schools. Kids have been socializing all summer long and I guarandamnedtee you nobody has been wearing masks. It is one of the benefits of not having ludicrous government shutdowns and mandates. I think we'll get through this thing once again better than the People's Republic of California etal. socially and econmomically.

We're at the point with over 95% of adults over the age of 65 vaccinated nationally and a large percent of higher risk citizens vaccinated that I think we'll be fine. I'm concerned for the Southern Baptist areas which are refusing vaccination for faith reasons but I think we're already seeing that rise in cases and it will abate fairly quickly. People have the option to get vaccinated and at this point maybe the best way to beat this thing is to let everybody get exposed to wild virus now. Wearing masks and shutting things down only delays the issue.

Prices are going to come back down. All the people who just bought, are going to be upside down for quite some time when deflation hits next year.
I'm not so sure about that. Inflation is a real factor. Many home builders quit building spec homes due to concerns about rising variable rate commercial loans. Demand is still way higher than supply in our area. My banker says he's reluctant to loan money for construction loans due his belief that it's almost certain home loan rates will be much higher when the house is done. I don't have a lot of faith in Yellen and the Fed not screwing this deal up.

I'm not so sure about that. Inflation is a real factor. Many home builders quit building spec homes due to concerns about rising variable rate commercial loans. Demand is still way higher than supply in our area. My banker says he's reluctant to loan money for construction loans due his belief that it's almost certain home loan rates will be much higher when the house is done. I don't have a lot of faith in Yellen and the Fed not screwing this deal up.
Exactly.. when rates climb, that will also push prices back down. The Fed will do everything it can to avoid deflation, but they are sort of boxed in, and people cannot afford housing prices now.. add in the tide of job losses coming and things could get ugly. My guess on the timing is between 9 and 18 months out. If we are lucky it will be stagflation like Japan the last 10 years.

I wasn't too worried since I had the J&J shot a couple of months prior, but I do have risk factors like A+ blood and hypertension, high bmi, over age 50 etc.

It was quite sad.. we had a lot of running around to government offices and always saw multiple ambulances all the time. When they went into lockdown, they only really closed the businesses and malls, which didn't make a lot of sense.

My wife would always comment on the people at the local warungs (street food seller areas) where people were lazy about social distancing as well as the mosques.. it was surreal to watch these people cram themselves into the mosques several times a day, I assume knowing full well they were going to get covid from each other.

Probably the worst part was when they started running out of oxygen and my brother in law started requesting it.. we thought he was going to be a gonner, and then we still haven't told his mother about her losing her little brother. She was having a hard time processing the potential loss of her son, so it was like sections of the family were falling apart.

I saw a lot of stressed out people at the national hospital.. a mainland Chinese husband and wife yelling at each other, before the wife burst into tears.. I don't know what their story was, but it was heart wrenching to watch families arguing and fighting and really it was because of the stress of everything going on.

Many of the rich Indonesians, were able to fly out. They actually have 'tour' packages being sold to them for a flight to Los Angeles for a vaccine jab, and return flight for about $1300.. $2400 for a longer stay 2 jab version.

I didn't know if I was going to make it out of the country because they tightened the lockdown and made it so pcr tests were only valid for 2 days on domestic flights.

Most labs were now running a 4 day turn around time on PCR testing due to being overwhelmed.. I had to get to Jakarta to catch my flight out, and ended up getting a pcr test done at one of the wealthy hospitals with a 1 day turn around because they had their own lab, while most people could not travel.

The other side of the family was now fighting about the rich uncle's death.. he had multiple businesses, but was leveraging debt, and no one on that side of the family to manage the situation. Those people are afraid for their future as the bank may repossess his factory and other assets.

Just seeing this in my wife's family showed me people were not prepared for this, and it made me angry that they were not further along in vaccinating the public.

There was a front page story in the news where they had talked about how Indonesia had lost over 450 doctors already, whom had been vaccinated with the Chinese sinovac, which apparently is useless against the delta variant.

Anyway, it was a trip I won't soon forget.
Wow! That’s bananas. Thanks for sharing

Sometimes I get on here and I’m like, “Christ don’t these guys have better shit to do all day long?” And then I’m like, “I’ve been scrolling for 2 hours, I really need to get some work done”
Lol. Biggest mistake I made. Started posting from my phone. Now I get sucked in all the time. Not just at the computer.

Fair enough. I will let you know and I appreciate your cooperation.
So stand down on the OT threads where I can somewhat joyfully poke the bears and return to the depressing, repetitive threads bashing the players and the program. Will do.

Sometimes I get on here and I’m like, “Christ don’t these guys have better shit to do all day long?” And then I’m like, “I’ve been scrolling for 2 hours, I really need to get some work done”
One of the pros and one of the cons of being a teacher. I have too much idle time during the summer.

The media is fear mongering the hell out of it, but I belive its seasonal and each area will see an increase which will then subside. If everyone acted like they did in 2018 most wouldn't even notice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT