ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and it's relevance to Husker football.

The people who are concerned have been vaccinated. Very few unvaccinated are willing to wear a mask so what we will wind up with is a lot of packed ERs at the start of FB season.
that might be true except for the fact that most unvaccinated people who refuse to wear masks also frequent one of two places, churches or bars or both. They've likely will already have had COVID by the time football season is in full swing. I expect there to be more cases leading up to school starting but I don't expect hospitalizations to rise much at all in Nebraska or the Dakotas.

It's the same thing Americans always want. A pill or a shot to make up for all of their poor habits. It's much easier to vaccinate high risk obese patients than to get them to quit Micky Ds and lose that extra 100 lbs of weight they're carrying around. To be fair though, I lost a 65 year old friend who had no comorbidities. This virus can be pretty random in who it decides to kill. The best analogy I've heard is "not getting vaccinated is like playing Russian roulette".

Terrible analogy.. playing Russian roulette has 1 in 6 or 9 chance of death (depending on the pistol). A better analogy is driving your car 20 over the speed limit, or playing a round a golf in a lightning storm.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yup sure is.. stay far away wulfy.

AF1QipMjZ90MYXYGFOo_T530Jqs1JFyIXaYZV_SyCk4t=w190-h136-n-k-no-nu
If you're in Tampa I don't live far from you. My home has doubled in value in the last 24 months. The more wulfy pushes his agenda, the more you and I benefit.

This guy has a lot of letters behind his name. Let me know if you like any of them. I'll keep looking.

There is no doubt that there is a full fledged propaganda campaign to try to get more reluctant high risk people vaccinated for COVID. My wife still has 70 year olds who refuse to get vaccinated because they think they're killing babies to make vaccine. I say let her rip. If you refuse to get vaccinated, it's your ass. Influenza is going to kill as many high risk patients this fall and winter as COVID is.

Terrible analogy.. playing Russian roulette has 1 in 6 or 9 chance of death (depending on the pistol). A better analogy is driving your car 20 over the speed limit, or playing a round a golf in a lightning storm.
Yeah I was going to add the odds disclaimer but the point remains the same. You just don't know if you're going to be the lucky winner whose immune system can't handle COVID. One 80 year heavy drinker and smoker survives and then a 50 something who seems pretty healthy dies. As with influenza, there have been some untimely deaths of younger COVID patients as well. If you're under 60 and healthy it's very rare to die from COVID but not completely impossible.

If you're in Tampa I don't live far from you. My home has doubled in value in the last 24 months. The more wulfy pushes his agenda, the more you and I benefit.
Housing in all of the "free" states has gone through the roof. South Dakota's real estate values have gone through the roof. I've been looking at buying a cabin or land in the Blackhills. Should have done it 2 years ago.

Reactions: HuskerO
It's the same thing Americans always want. A pill or a shot to make up for all of their poor habits. It's much easier to vaccinate high risk obese patients than to get them to quit Micky Ds and lose that extra 100 lbs of weight they're carrying around. To be fair though, I lost a 65 year old friend who had no comorbidities. This virus can be pretty random in who it decides to kill. The best analogy I've heard is "not getting vaccinated is like playing Russian roulette".
But we know Covid affects the older population, even if they are healthy, which your friend fit into a higher risk because of his age.

It's not Russian roulette for someone like me who's 36 and healthy.

EDIT: I see you had another response to this, but even with that this isn't Russian roulette if you're younger & healthy. Otherwise life in general would he considered Russian roulette.

Reactions: Big10domination
Roughly 8000 people die ever day in the USA on avg. You have plenty of pearl clutching posts, but I have seen zero plans from you on stopping death.

We've closed restaurants. People died.
We closed bars. People died.
We wore masks. People died.
We rioted. People died.
We gave "vaccines." People died.
We scared sick people. They didn't go to the doctor. People died.
We closed schools. People died.
We shipped sick people to nursing homes. People died.

Or maybe you need to look deeper into these weird, headline grabbing stats.

Get vaxxed and those who aren't need to wear a mask until they are vaxxed. That's it. Not a magic formula. Also not a perfect solution but all evidence points toward the most effective approach for now.

But we know Covid affects the older population, even if they are healthy, which your friend fit into a higher risk because of his age.

Well really at the age of 65 in our experience in our area, IF you don't have comorbidities, it is unusual for you to die from COVID. There are a lot of obese diabetics with major health issues who fall in that 65 age group who have survived COVID. It's a weird deal and nobody can put a hard fast number on your odds of surviving. As I used to tell my clients, "odds don't mean anything if you are the one in a thousand who dies from any disease".

My agenda is for this to be over and me not to have to wear this stupid mask anymore. If shots get us closer to that then yes I am guilty

Yeah I was going to add the odds disclaimer but the point remains the same. You just don't know if you're going to be the lucky winner whose immune system can't handle COVID. One 80 year heavy drinker and smoker survives and then a 50 something who seems pretty healthy dies. As with influenza, there have been some untimely deaths of younger COVID patients as well. If you're under 60 and healthy it's very rare to die from COVID but not completely impossible.
I've never had the flu in my life and I deal with hundreds of people every day and handle all kinds of shared items. Not sure if that is a big indicator but the last time I've had an acute situation is when I had laryngitis when I was 8 or 9. Haven't been sick in 3 years and last time was just a common cold.

Housing in all of the "free" states has gone through the roof. South Dakota's real estate values have gone through the roof. I've been looking at buying a cabin or land in the Blackhills. Should have done it 2 years ago.
Blackhills is great. Smells like pine trees.

Get vaxxed and those who aren't need to wear a mask until they are vaxxed. That's it. Not a magic formula. Also not a perfect solution but all evidence points toward the most effective approach for now.
Why do I need to wear a mask if not vaxxed? Obviously other non-vaxxed people don't care & those who are vaxxed are protected, right?

EDIT: I see you had another response to this, but even with that this isn't Russian roulette if you're younger & healthy. Otherwise life in general would he considered Russian roulette.
Life IS a gamble. On the other hand there are things you can do to decrease the risk of an untimely death. My wife and I encouraged our21 to 38 year old kids to get vaccinated. You don't know if you're going to be the one in a thousand who develops myocarditis or has chronic asthma after COVID infection. Personally over 20 years ago I developed fairly severe chronic asthma after getting influenza. I didn't used to take the Flu vaccine. Now I do.

I've never had the flu in my life and I deal with hundreds of people every day and handle all kinds of shared items. Not sure if that is a big indicator but the last time I've had an acute situation is when I had laryngitis when I was 8 or 9. Haven't been sick in 3 years and last time was just a common cold.
Trust me. You've had the flu you just had subclinical infections and may have shed virus to other people. You just didn't get noticeably ill from it. I think with all of the distancing, masks and hand sanitizer and the lowered population immunity to influenza, we're going to have a terrible flu season this winter.

When you assume it just makes you an ass.

Like I said, vaccine is a good way to hedge your bets. Eating healthy is also a good way to live longer. I’m still very fascinated why you care so much about vaccines and masks, but haven’t heard your voice your concern over American diets. Obesity is a much bigger risk than COVID. Please use your energy for the latter.
My background is in neuroscience. I am aware of the effects of chronic inflammation. I care about health; mine, yours, the community at large. It bothers me that people make light of the effects of covid. Even if you don’t die from it, you really shouldn’t want anything to do with it. The strong association of smell, hearing and balance dysfunction are strong clues that this is manifesting itself as a neurological illness in a lot of people with mild disease. Most people don’t understand the multi factorial cause of dementia and that even mild disease like colds, influenza and HSV slowly inch us to the precipice. This illness is shaping up to have a STRONG impact. I’ll be honest, long covid terrifies me. I worry for anyone that has it that they might be on the road to early onset cognitive dysfunction. And unlike eating cheeseburgers every day, someone just has to be unlucky enough to breathe the same air as someone who is sick.

Trust me. You've had the flu you just had subclinical infections and may have shed virus to other people. You just didn't get noticeably ill from it. I think with all of the distancing, masks and hand sanitizer and the lowered population immunity to influenza, we're going to have a terrible flu season this winter.
It just seems strange that I have never had symptoms from the flu, ever. I would think there would have been a time in my life where viral load was high or immune response was lowered to give the virus some headway. I'm not complaining, just seems like my body handles it well, even during not so ideal situations.

The overall messaging of Covid and variants has been all over the place. Regardless of the political difference, the message should have been straight forward and 100% based facts.
people have the right to choose what is best for them and their kids. The information we need to make that decision should be accurate it’s not. So now we have sides drawn, no belief in our government, and a country full of people that have no idea what to think or know what’s next.
Fauci no doubt destroyed public trust and this was used as a campaign weapon. When you can show clips of both Biden and Harris saying that we shouldn't trust any vaccine produced during Trump's administration, you have a problem.

As it relates to college football, the hysterical reporting about the risk from vaccination to young people is confounding efforts to get people vaccinated. As the parent of a 20 something college student, I wanted her vaccinated ASAP due to the relatively high risk of developing asthma from having COVID. For college athletes the smartest and lowest risk thing for them to do is to get vaccinated. Period.

My 5 year old currently has the Delta variant and the only reason we knew is she is set to have her tonsils out and during her pre-surgery exam she tested positive. No one in our house is vaxxed and we are all fine. Maintain a healthy lifestyle, get your vitamin D and have your Ivermectin as a backup and you are more than likely going to be fine if you are under the age of 50. Stop pushing a stupid narrative. Go look at the stats on worldometers. The death just isn’t happening anymore. More people are dying from Alzheimer’s

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It just seems strange that I have never had symptoms from the flu, ever. I would think there would have been a time in my life where viral load was high or immune response was lowered to give the virus some headway. I'm not complaining, just seems like my body handles it well, even during not so ideal situations.
It's not strange at all. It's normal. I was the same way when I was young. You've had a high naturally acquired immunity due to repeated exposure to multiple strains of influenza. At some point though as you age or maybe you're under stress, you'll get one that knocks you on your ass just like it did to me.

My 5 year old currently has the Delta variant and the only reason we knew is she is set to have her tonsils out and during her pre-surgery exam she tested positive. No one in our house is vaxxed and we are all fine. Maintain a healthy lifestyle, get your vitamin D and have your Ivermectin as a backup and you are more than likely going to be fine if you are under the age of 50. Stop pushing a stupid narrative. Go look at the stats on worldometers. The death just isn’t happening anymore. More people are dying from Alzheimer’s
I got my ivermectin just in case along with zinc and quercetin.

deaths are still happening but it isn't a huge spike like some of the fear mongers would have us believe. Hopefully you were previously exposed to COVID and aren't just incubating the virus right now. About half of our population though had naturally acquired immunity via previous exposure to other corona virus cold viruses when this whole deal started.

Life IS a gamble. On the other hand there are things you can do to decrease the risk of an untimely death. My wife and I encouraged our21 to 38 year old kids to get vaccinated. You don't know if you're going to be the one in a thousand who develops myocarditis or has chronic asthma after COVID infection. Personally over 20 years ago I developed fairly severe chronic asthma after getting influenza. I didn't used to take the Flu vaccine. Now I do.
Yup, that's fine and I have zero issues with other low risk people getting the vaccine.

I got my ivermectin just in case along with zinc and quercetin.
Vitamin D. I wouldn't take any Ivermectin. I've been known to take my dog's sulfa pills in the past but I wouldn't take Ivermectin. It can be a potentially lethal drug if taken in the wrong dosage or form.

Vitamin D. I wouldn't take any Ivermectin. I've been known to take my dog's sulfa pills in the past but I wouldn't take Ivermectin. It can be a potentially lethal drug if taken in the wrong dosage or form.
I don't believe vitamin D should be supplemented. Ivermectin has been used on ones suffering from Long Covid with great success.

Reactions: leodisflowers
so back on topic. Does anybody have any idea what percentage of our football team and staff have either had COVID or have been vaccinated?

Curious to see the impact of Lollapalooza and the crowds from this weekend. Crowds that big in normal times would be a huge turn off for me as it is but man thats a lot of people to see Limp Bizkit. Im going to Foo Fighters in a few weeks as far as I know its open to everyone. I know they had a Vaxxed only concert in New York but I think that was a local requirement.

so back on topic. Does anybody have any idea what percentage of our football team and staff have either had COVID or have been vaccinated?
Wouldnt the coaches HAVE to be vaxxed in order to be allowed to be in close contact with the players? I know Washington St is going through restrictions with their coach because he wont get the shots

Not if you're drinking your milk or getting some sunshine. There are in fact some Vitamin D deficient people in this country especially in the winter.
It's hard to know if ones are deficient when we don't ever test for the active form of vitamin D. 25D is measured routinely but 1-25 D never is. Vitamin D is a hormone and I don't like messing around with hormones. The body will upregulate and downregulate based on need. Low 25 D indicates potential disease states but isn't necessarily the cause. I don't drink milk, supplement with D or get much sunshine. Vitamin D is rare in nature. It's not even in breast milk. Babies gotta get their tan on.

Last edited:
Get the right dosage and you are good and it is actually backed by science even though you don’t believe in it

Curious to see the impact of Lollapalooza and the crowds from this weekend. Crowds that big in normal times would be a huge turn off for me as it is but man thats a lot of people to see Limp Bizkit. Im going to Foo Fighters in a few weeks as far as I know its open to everyone. I know they had a Vaxxed only concert in New York but I think that was a local requirement.
The Bucks had huge crowds and you hear nothing. The government is a joke

Get the right dosage and you are good and it is actually backed by science even though you don’t believe in it
I believe in Ivermectin when prescribed and dosed by a physician. There have been studies done on the relative strengths of various OTC animal Ivermectin formulations and they've been shown to vary in actual strength by as much as 70%. I think it's foolish to take Ivermectin for a virus which is unlikely to put young healthy people in the hospital. Your odds of harming yourself by taking Ivermectin may be greater than your odds of getting seriously ill from COVID. Ivermectin in very small doses kills some breeds of dogs.

BTW, I've actually read the study most people cite when advocating Ivermectin use for COVID. It's a mighty large leap to take based on that study in developing countries with huge internal parasite problems in humans.

Reactions: Seascout3
I believe in Ivermectin when prescribed and dosed by a physician. There have been studies done on the relative strengths of various OTC animal Ivermectin formulations and they've been shown to vary in actual strength by as much as 70%. I think it's foolish to take Ivermectin for a virus which is unlikely to put young healthy people in the hospital. Your odds of harming yourself by taking Ivermectin may be greater than your odds of getting seriously ill from COVID. Ivermectin in very small doses kills some breeds of dogs.
I would think most people have it prescribed from a physician. If you are taking it from tractor supply you are a moron.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Yeah those crowds gave me anxiety but thats just because I couldnt be paid to be in a crowd like that
But yet really you have heard nothing. I think things are better than we think but have an invalid saying stupid shit frontline the White House. Maybe some day we can go back to talking facts and giving people the correct info. It’s been awhile

I would think most people have it prescribed from a physician. If you are taking it from tractor supply you are a moron.
The study from third world countries that supports Ivermectin use is skewed IMO because the increased survival rates may have been attributed to reducing parasites in those patients and not because of any actual effect on the virus. Parasite burden is a potentially confounding variable in that study that wasn't accounted for. If your Dr. is willing to prescribe it, knock yourself out but I think you're wasting your money.....well unless you've been eating your cat's feces.

ADVERTISEMENT