ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and it's relevance to Husker football.

normally would agree with you, but saw first hand in Indonesia that the delta variant doesn't care how old you are or your obesity level..

Do tell…

Because facts disagree with your anecdote.

Watch out!! There is an elderly lady walking on the wrong side of sidewalk again!!

There is no need for anymore Covid discussions. Those of us who read the board daily are well aware of who is pro-mask, who is anti-mask, who is pro vax, who is anti vax, who trusts the CDC, who doesn't et. al. As a matter of fact, I bet I could represent myself as the various passionate posters and state their cases virtually verbatim since I have read their exact same opinions over and over and over.
As long as we have you to decide the parameters of every discussion we probably don't even need a discussion board.

There has been an obesity epidemic for decades. And alcohol causes 100k /deaths per year. You really think no one in healthcare/policy has tried to improve those areas? Whataboutism at its finest. For the record, it’s not just morbidly obese pts at high risk. BMI>25 is a risk factor. That would likely capture a lot of people within everyone’s families/friends.
BMI is garbage.

Protect everyone here. Just tell us where you work.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I have been on vacation the past week. We have stayed in Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Eureka, Redding, Fresno, Been to Crater Lake Oregon, The Redwoods, through the Valley to Yosemite and Sequoia and haven't seen very many people concerned about Covid. I am now in Vegas and first thing when I checked into my hotel I was told, "It is mandated by the Governor that you must wear a mask indoors", and got kicked out of a gas station for not wearing a mask. It floors me that I could count on one hand the number of people in California that were wearing masks in public, and when you get to "Sin City" it is now a big deal again.
Sounds like you were in upstate California where more normal people are

So…, yesterday there were 219 pts on ventilators due to covid just in the state of Arkansas. I’m guessing those patients and their families don’t think this is a hoax. Is that the specific data you say is never released?

This is the problem with these statistics. The people are on ventilators and tested postive for covid. But a large portion are not on ventilators due to covid. I'd bet money that a significant number aren't even covid positive currently.

Even if they were, 220 our of a population of 3+ million is not worthy of your panic and pearl clutching.

There has been a shift, especially in the media, but not exclusively, to report percentages rather than actual numbers. Specific data is harder to find. See below.

I have been on vacation the past week. We have stayed in Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Eureka, Redding, Fresno, Been to Crater Lake Oregon, The Redwoods, through the Valley to Yosemite and Sequoia and haven't seen very many people concerned about Covid. I am now in Vegas and first thing when I checked into my hotel I was told, "It is mandated by the Governor that you must wear a mask indoors", and got kicked out of a gas station for not wearing a mask. It floors me that I could count on one hand the number of people in California that were wearing masks in public, and when you get to "Sin City" it is now a big deal again.

You can buy hookers and weed legally in Vegas, but not wearing a mask is too much.

Do tell…

Because facts disagree with your anecdote.

Watch out!! There is an elderly lady walking on the wrong side of sidewalk again!!
I was there on the ground. My brother in law has been sick for over 6 weeks and his ddimer level is still high, we believe he has lung damage from long covid and is only 36 years old. My uncle in law died while I was there, he was older, mid to late 50’s. I can’t tell you how many ambulances I saw while there, but I recall seeing 3 different ones go through a busy intersection while waiting for a single traffic light. More than 3 peopled died at my wife’s work, a school where there are maybe 40 elementary school employees. And since you probably don’t know, there isn’t an obesity problem in Indonesia either. Their big problem is not being vaccinated.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was there on the ground. My brother in law has been sick for over 6 weeks and his ddimer level is still high, we believe he has lung damage from long covid and is only 36 years old. My uncle in law died while I was there, he was older, mid to late 50’s. I can’t tell you how many ambulances I saw while there, but I recall seeing 3 different ones go through a busy intersection while waiting for a single traffic light. More than 3 peopled died at my wife’s work, a school where there are maybe 40 elementary school employees. And since you probably don’t know, there isn’t an obesity problem in Indonesia either. Their big problem is not being vaccinated.
Indo is getting the illness we did last year. The countries that we were told "did it right" are now experiencing more infections.

"long covid" is a made up term by the media. Post-viral syndrome doesn't instill the same fear so they don't use it.

Many illnesses can have lasting impacts although only a small percentage of people experience it. In many cases it's believed to psychosomatic. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3320358/

Wow three different ambulances!! I’ll call Biden to shut down travel.. oh wait?? Why are you overseas?? How dare you travel!!

Wow three different ambulances!! I’ll call Biden to shut down travel.. oh wait?? Why are you overseas?? How dare you travel!!
I am pretty sure he lives there or travels there for work quite extensively.

Many other countries are far behind the vaccination curve. I am not saying the vaccine is a cure all, but when I look at the numbers of people in the hospital and people that have died from COVID since May, the unvaccinated population makes up a huge percentage of that sector.

masks, to me , are a joke. Especially in an outdoor football venue.

I am pretty sure he lives there or travels there for work quite extensively.

Many other countries are far behind the vaccination curve. I am not saying the vaccine is a cure all, but when I look at the numbers of people in the hospital and people that have died from COVID since May, the unvaccinated population makes up a huge percentage of that sector.

masks, to me , are a joke. Especially in an outdoor football venue.

Let know when the vaccine stops people from getting old.

Reactions: Big10domination
If you guys insist on your gay orgies Covid is going to keep happening. Why do you have to be so selfish?

There has been an obesity epidemic for decades. And alcohol causes 100k /deaths per year. You really think no one in healthcare/policy has tried to improve those areas? Whataboutism at its finest. For the record, it’s not just morbidly obese pts at high risk. BMI>25 is a risk factor. That would likely capture a lot of people within everyone’s families/friends.
He never said morbidly obese.

You're just like the Politifact "fact checkers". Claim is made, but then you add one little word that wasn't said to try & hammer on the original claim.

He never said morbidly obese.

You're just like the Politifact "fact checkers". Claim is made, but then you add one little word that wasn't said to try & hammer on the original claim.
Ask that person if 1 million + (since Feb of this year) anonymous aliens coming from nations with horrible health care systems are in any way a threat. It gives away the game when freedom for non-criminals means nothing to them but freedom for criminals means everything to them.

Indo is getting the illness we did last year. The countries that we were told "did it right" are now experiencing more infections.

"long covid" is a made up term by the media. Post-viral syndrome doesn't instill the same fear so they don't use it.

Many illnesses can have lasting impacts although only a small percentage of people experience it. In many cases it's believed to psychosomatic. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3320358/
Indo got the delta variant, not the same covid as we got last year. It was brought in by a bunch of Indian workers and is well documented how the latest emergency started.

They are still not well vaccinated yet, so not only did the new variant spread like wildfire, but the effects of this variant on the population have also been different.

You don't have charts that show the difference between last year's version and the delta variant. There is a big difference.

Look, I don't support travel bans, or even mandated vaccination, but people are being really stupid and selfish about this.

Get vaccinated.

If you get sick, then that is on you.

If you spread it to others, then that is also partially on you too.

Great article on one doctor's experience with unvaccinated patients begging for the vaccine and her having to tell them it's too late for that now.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...us-covid-unvaccinated-hospital-rates-vaccines

Indo got the delta variant, not the same covid as we got last year. It was brought in by a bunch of Indian workers and is well documented how the latest emergency started.

They are still not well vaccinated yet, so not only did the new variant spread like wildfire, but the effects of this variant on the population have also been different.

You don't have charts that show the difference between last year's version and the delta variant. There is a big difference.

Look, I don't support travel bans, or even mandated vaccination, but people are being really stupid and selfish about this.

Get vaccinated.

If you get sick, then that is on you.

If you spread it to others, then that is also partially on you too.

Great article on one doctor's experience with unvaccinated patients begging for the vaccine and her having to tell them it's too late for that now.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...us-covid-unvaccinated-hospital-rates-vaccines
Oh you'd like to see charts?

It is the same virus. The island locals that mostly avoided it because of seasonality before were lucky, but men can't play God forever.

Last edited:
Yes, obesity is a risk factor for severe infection. So is being elderly. And immunosuppressed. And having active cancer. Are all these patients not considered worthy Americans anymore? Just asking for a friend. Would be very interesting to see a roster of all posters on this site re: BMI, amount of alcohol consumed per week, tobacco history. I'm guessing those throwing their fellow Americans under the bus probably don't want their own habits revealed.

And again, remember when Michelle Obama tried to advocate for kids to move more and eat more healthy foods? Remember how half the country reacted? Were you a positive advocate for healthy eating back then?
Is obesity a huge problem in the US? Yes. Do we need Obama mandates from such experts as smoking Barak or high BMI Michelle? Not just know but...

It's disturbing how many people in 2021 don't know they can avoid the intolerable pain of seeing something they disagree with by putting people on ignore.

Reactions: merk0714
How quickly you walked into your own web.. I only hope you are fake doctor (pharmacist, dentist, PA).

You are the one campaigning vax vs non-vax. I was only telling you that obesity is a much bigger risk to your livelihood in general (with or without COVID). Maybe read a bit more how being vastly overweight cuts your life down.

Also really odd how you said “worthy Americans.” Yes, you can be unhealthy and be an American. We all have bad habits.
Look. There are valid points on both sides of this discussion. Their are a large percentage of people who are very productive citizens of this country walking around who are at a higher risk of having a serious complication from this virus. Some of them are even D-1 and NFL caliber athletes. Anybody carrying the sickle cell trait or with asthma has a higher risk of serious long term effects or in a rare case death.

I think it is wise to encourage vaccinations. I also think it is obvious that Fauci and Biden's crew are using propaganda to try to scare more people to get vaccinated. Maybe that's not a bad thing. It doesn't appear to prevent many of the new infections but it sure as hell has been shown to reduce hospitalizations and death. I'm against lockdowns and government mandates but it's kind of silly to argue against vaccination.

ALL of you guys have had valid points but the personal attacks on regionsdoc are unwarranted IMO. He's viewing it from his real world perspective which more than likely has involved watching many of his patients die of COVID.

Ultimately what we ALL want is to be able to play football in an uninterrupted season while having as few of deaths as possible from COVID. IMO, the two are very compatible IF more people get vaccinated. Say what you want about the "casedemic". Your odds of surviving a "case" are even better if you're vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecilB and saluno22
Except that leaves it up to each governor pr other city officials. The Big Ten leaving it up to each school is nothing more than passing the buck and will do nothing but guarantee some games won’t get played.
ultimately more than likely the governors of Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania could throw the monkey wrench in to the whole deal. I guess I had better not forget the moron mayor of Lincoln either in this deal. The Dr.s I talk to from Lincoln think she was a complete hysterical dipshit on how she handled COVID.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Back in April, 20 countries banned travel from India due to the Delta variant. The US did not issue a travel ban. Now Delta is taking over. On June 22, the white house declared an independence from Covid. Whoops. Feels like a "Mission Accomplished" moment.

Back in April, 20 countries banned travel from India due to the Delta variant. The US did not issue a travel ban. Now Delta is taking over. On June 22, the white house declared an independence from Covid. Whoops. Feels like a "Mission Accomplished" moment.
On February 26, (2020) President Trump boasted that the coronavirus was about to disappear altogether from the United States. “You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero,” he insisted.

If this stupid Pandemic has shown us anything its that we deserve much better from our elected officials. Im not holding out much hope though.

Look. There are valid points on both sides of this discussion. Their are a large percentage of people who are very productive citizens of this country walking around who are at a higher risk of having a serious complication from this virus. Some of them are even D-1 and NFL caliber athletes. Anybody carrying the sickle cell trait or with asthma has a higher risk of serious long term effects or in a rare case death.

I think it is wise to encourage vaccinations. I also think it is obvious that Fauci and Biden's crew are using propaganda to try to scare more people to get vaccinated. Maybe that's not a bad thing. It doesn't appear to prevent many of the new infections but it sure as hell has been shown to reduce hospitalizations and death. I'm against lockdowns and government mandates but it's kind of silly to argue against vaccination.

ALL of you guys have had valid points but the personal attacks on regionsdoc are unwarranted IMO. He's viewing it from his real world perspective which more than likely has involved watching many of his patients die of COVID.

Ultimately what we ALL want is to be able to play football in an uninterrupted season while having as few of deaths as possible from COVID. IMO, the two are very compatible IF more people get vaccinated. Say what you want about the "casedemic". Your odds of surviving a "case" are even better if you're vaccinated.
Well said

That's the norm for a few on here, attack others call names, call BS on any differing opinion while claiming they have the facts. Just a little hypocritical.

Covid discussions are fine. The problem is the political and religious zealots can’t help themselves from injecting their agendas into civil discussions.
We will be removing repeat offenders from this site immediately. Warnings have repeatedly been ignored and leniency rather than being appreciated has been taken as a sign of weakness.
I predict we will be missing 8-10 guys soon.
8-10? That's about all of the people posting in these threads.:oops:

On February 26, (2020) President Trump boasted that the coronavirus was about to disappear altogether from the United States. “You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero,” he insisted.

If this stupid Pandemic has shown us anything its that we deserve much better from our elected officials. Im not holding out much hope though.
Yup. Both sides are full of high school douche bags vying for power.
Maybe the US put all their eggs in the vaccine basket and were blindsided by the delta virus from India.

Yup. Both sides are full of high school douche bags vying for power.
Maybe the US put all their eggs in the vaccine basket and were blindsided by the delta virus from India.
This thing in one form or another will be here for the foreseeable future. It seems the vaccinated have a much "better" reaction than the non vaxxed. I can only assume there will be a newer variant and another and another. It incredibly frustrating thats for sure. The thought of having to wear a mask for the next 9 months at work is also frustrating.

This thing in one form or another will be here for the foreseeable future. It seems the vaccinated have a much "better" reaction than the non vaxxed. I can only assume there will be a newer variant and another and another. It incredibly frustrating thats for sure. The thought of having to wear a mask for the next 9 months at work is also frustrating.
I as well have to wear a mask at work the entire time. When this first started, we had to also wear gloves. Gloves were much worse IMO and masks have now become another article of clothing to me...

• Sad
The people who are concerned have been vaccinated. Very few unvaccinated are willing to wear a mask so what we will wind up with is a lot of packed ERs at the start of FB season.

I as well have to wear a mask at work the entire time. When this first started, we had to also wear gloves. Gloves were much worse IMO and masks have now become another article of clothing to me...
Do you have glasses that fog up? I do and am going to start wearing my contacts more which sucks because my vision is NOT great with those things in trying to read my phone.

Where I work, our policy was vaccinated=no masks, unvaccinated=masks, and it was on the honor system. I'd say most unvaccinated people were decent about it, but a couple I'm pretty confident weren't based on their previous vocal opinions.

About a month ago, I had a conversation with two unvaccinated employees who were lamenting that having to wear masks was akin a scarlet letter. They asked when they'd be able to act like everyone else (i.e., be told they wouldn't have to wear masks anymore). My immediate response was I bet we're all wearing masks again before the school year starts. They thought I was kidding, but here we are.

Do you have glasses that fog up? I do and am going to start wearing my contacts more which sucks because my vision is NOT great with those things in trying to read my phone.
I switched to wearing my contacts. I hadn't worn contacts in 4 years. Couldn't stand the fogging of the glasses. Drove me insane.

Where I work, our policy was vaccinated=no masks, unvaccinated=masks, and it was on the honor system. I'd say most unvaccinated people were decent about it, but a couple I'm pretty confident weren't based on their previous vocal opinions.

About a month ago, I had a conversation with two unvaccinated employees who were lamenting that having to wear masks was akin a scarlet letter. They asked when they'd be able to act like everyone else (i.e., be told they wouldn't have to wear masks anymore). My immediate response was I bet we're all wearing masks again before the school year starts. They thought I was kidding, but here we are.
Same here, we had the honor system. If found to be lying, they would be fired. I complied.
My mom said she got the vaccine so she wouldn't have to wear a mask. I too felt that was gonna be reversed.

Obesity is a personal choice. See people buying 44 ounce sodas and multiple snickers regularly at the convenience store. And they are obese.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT