ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and it's relevance to Husker football.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
At some point the discussions that take place on this board ARE EXTREMELY RELEVANT to Husker football this fall. I'm not sure that moderators being able to pick and chose which threads are off topic and which ones aren't is a good way to deal with threads that involve the discussion of COVID. After all, whether or not people get vaccinated or are getting sick from new variants may ultimately determine whether there are fans in the stands or games cancelled because of outbreaks.

Im just glad the Big 10 is leaving it up to each school to handle and regulate their business. Nebraska seemed to be ahead of the curve last year and i think that will continue this season. Now if only they could catch up on the field.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Im just glad the Big 10 is leaving it up to each school to handle and regulate their business. Nebraska seemed to be ahead of the curve last year and i think that will continue this season. Now if only they could catch up on the field.
Except that leaves it up to each governor or other city officials. The Big Ten leaving it up to each school is nothing more than passing the buck and will do nothing but guarantee some games won’t get played.

Last edited:
At some point the discussions that take place on this board ARE EXTREMELY RELEVANT to Husker football this fall. I'm not sure that moderators being able to pick and chose which threads are off topic and which ones aren't is a good way to deal with threads that involve the discussion of COVID. After all, whether or not people get vaccinated or are getting sick from new variants may ultimately determine whether there are fans in the stands or games cancelled because of outbreaks.
Covid discussions are fine. The problem is the political and religious zealots can’t help themselves from injecting their agendas into civil discussions.
We will be removing repeat offenders from this site immediately. Warnings have repeatedly been ignored and leniency rather than being appreciated has been taken as a sign of weakness.
I predict we will be missing 8-10 guys soon.

Covid discussions are fine. The problem is the political and religious zealots can’t help themselves from injecting their agendas into civil discussions.
We will be removing repeat offenders from this site immediately. Warnings have repeatedly been ignored and leniency rather than being appreciated has been taken as a sign of weakness.
Let me know if I'm flying too close to the sun. I get pretty passionate about this stuff. I feel like we're truly living in an idiocracy right now.

dr in florida said its too late there for vaxx to impact the variant in short term, so we’ll see soon enough what that impact of low vaxx rates in sporting events will be.
fun times.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I have been on vacation the past week. We have stayed in Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Eureka, Redding, Fresno, Been to Crater Lake Oregon, The Redwoods, through the Valley to Yosemite and Sequoia and haven't seen very many people concerned about Covid. I am now in Vegas and first thing when I checked into my hotel I was told, "It is mandated by the Governor that you must wear a mask indoors", and got kicked out of a gas station for not wearing a mask. It floors me that I could count on one hand the number of people in California that were wearing masks in public, and when you get to "Sin City" it is now a big deal again.

Except that leaves it up to each governor pr other city officials. The Big Ten leaving it up to each school is nothing more than passing the buck and will do nothing but guarantee some games won’t get played.
What if, for example, New Jersey were to place restrictions not allowing games. Could Rutgers just play on the road instead?

I vote you in for POTUS forthwith

Reactions: rrthusker
My prediction for the season; at the last moment fans will be banned from games and the nation will be an eyelash away from another shutdown. The new variant will be the blame for the vaccines not warding off the spread, and of course the non-vaccinated. (Compare this to ineffectiveness of the flu shots because they are always vaccinating to last years strain) This will last through the New Year and close down the Bowl Games again. By spring there will be a new variant that will be identified because all viruses morph and change through time. This will make the governments of the world be concerned over the safety of the population. The one thing that will never identified or shown is the actual hospitalizations or deaths, only a percentage increase over the past days or months to keep people in fear of this overhyped virus. Is it coincidental that flu hospitalizations and deaths are no longer identifiable? This is about governmental control and money. The more power you give to the government over this, the more you will never regain. The more power they gain, the more money they will spend fighting this man made pandemic... this money comes from you in the form of raised taxes.

My prediction for the season; at the last moment fans will be banned from games and the nation will be an eyelash away from another shutdown. The new variant will be the blame for the vaccines not warding off the spread, and of course the non-vaccinated. (Compare this to ineffectiveness of the flu shots because they are always vaccinating to last years strain) This will last through the New Year and close down the Bowl Games again. By spring there will be a new variant that will be identified because all viruses morph and change through time. This will make the governments of the world be concerned over the safety of the population. The one thing that will never identified or shown is the actual hospitalizations or deaths, only a percentage increase over the past days or months to keep people in fear of this overhyped virus. Is it coincidental that flu hospitalizations and deaths are no longer identifiable? This is about governmental control and money. The more power you give to the government over this, the more you will never regain. The more power they gain, the more money they will spend fighting this man made pandemic... this money comes from you in the form of raised taxes.
This is completely false:

“The one thing that will never identified or shown is the actual hospitalizations or deaths, only a percentage increase over the past days or months to keep people in fear of this overhyped virus.”

This data is all over the place (state, city, hospital-specific) for anyone willing to look outside their echo chamber.

For example, this is from Arkansas yesterday:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Arkansas Department of Health is continuing to report some of the highest COVID-19 case numbers the state has seen this year, with Friday being the second day in a row with new cases above 2,500.

According to ADH data, there were 2,544 new cases recorded in the last 24 hours, moving Arkansas to 18,541 active cases and 385,133 cases all time.

Hospitalizations were up by 32 from the prior day to 1,087, while the number of patients on ventilators remained at 219.

So…, yesterday there were 219 pts on ventilators due to covid just in the state of Arkansas. I’m guessing those patients and their families don’t think this is a hoax. Is that the specific data you say is never released?

if you're not fat or old, covid is completely irrelevant

lose weight, get outside and don't be old

now back to football

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

“The one thing that will never identified or shown is the actual hospitalizations or deaths, only a percentage increase over the past days or months to keep people in fear of this overhyped virus.”

This data is all over the place (state, city, hospital-specific) for anyone willing to look outside their echo chamber.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Arkansas Department of Health is continuing to report some of the highest COVID-19 case numbers the state has seen this year, with Friday being the second day in a row with new cases above 2,500.

According to ADH data, there were 2,544 new cases recorded in the last 24 hours, moving Arkansas to 18,541 active cases and 385,133 cases all time.

Hospitalizations were up by 32 from the prior day to 1,087, while the number of patients on ventilators remained at 219.

So…, yesterday there were 219 pts on ventilators due to covid just in the state of Arkansas. I’m guessing those patients and their families don’t think this is a hoax. Is that the specific data you say is never released?
would be willing to bet nearly 100% of those 219 are obese

don't be scared, get healthy!

Why haven’t you beat your drum on obese to eat more healthy… much bigger risk than COVID.. not my opinion, fact!

Why haven’t you beat your drum on obese to eat more healthy… much bigger risk than COVID.. not my opinion, fact!
if you look at the death rate of covid by nation it mirrors the obesity rate exactly. in fact, if you're healthy, it doesn't even matter if you're old and catch it! the fatter your country, the harder you've been hit. zero exceptions.

yet, nobody will discuss this fact. instead, everyone just wants to soil their diapers about masks and vaccines.

we are a land of morons, each 'expert' dumber than the last. Sweden was right.

quit being fat, lazy, disgusting pigs, everyone. it's a better way of life for one and all.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
if you look at the death rate of covid by nation it mirrors the obesity rate exactly. in fact, if you're healthy, it doesn't even matter if you're old and catch it! the fatter your country, the harder you've been hit. zero exceptions.

yet, nobody will discuss this fact. instead, everyone just wants to soil their diapers about masks and vaccines.

we are a land of morons, each 'expert' dumber than the last. Sweden was right.

quit being fat, lazy, disgusting pigs, everyone. it's a better way of life for one and all.

That’s because fatness is a “body choice.” 😂😂

Eat some vegetables and take a walk. Enjoy our beautiful earth and enjoy life.

Yes, obesity is a risk factor for severe infection. So is being elderly. And immunosuppressed. And having active cancer. Are all these patients not considered worthy Americans anymore? Just asking for a friend. Would be very interesting to see a roster of all posters on this site re: BMI, amount of alcohol consumed per week, tobacco history. I'm guessing those throwing their fellow Americans under the bus probably don't want their own habits revealed.

And again, remember when Michelle Obama tried to advocate for kids to move more and eat more healthy foods? Remember how half the country reacted? Were you a positive advocate for healthy eating back then?

Yes, obesity is a risk factor for severe infection. So is being elderly. And immunosuppressed. And having active cancer. Are all these patients not considered worthy Americans anymore? Just asking for a friend. Would be very interesting to see a roster of all posters on this site re: BMI, amount of alcohol consumed per week, tobacco history. I'm guessing those throwing their fellow Americans under the bus probably don't want their own habits revealed.

And again, remember when Michelle Obama tried to advocate for kids to move more and eat more healthy foods? Remember how half the country reacted? Were you a positive advocate for healthy eating back then?
what a hero. does your arm ever tire from the back patting?

small sample of ~100 active cancer patients in my wife's oncology clinic: ~60% were knowingly directly exposed to covid at home, 35% tested positive for covid, zero were intubated, zero died.

I am an advocate of healthy eating at home, provided by parents. not 3 meals/day at school, where her version of 'healthy eating' was bought & paid for by the highest processed food bidder & being a ward of the state was made to look attractive.

eggs, beans, veggies are essentially free. parents who don't properly nourish their kids should be thrown down a well.

How quickly you walked into your own web.. I only hope you are fake doctor (pharmacist, dentist, PA).

You are the one campaigning vax vs non-vax. I was only telling you that obesity is a much bigger risk to your livelihood in general (with or without COVID). Maybe read a bit more how being vastly overweight cuts your life down.

Also really odd how you said “worthy Americans.” Yes, you can be unhealthy and be an American. We all have bad habits.

How quickly you walked into you own web.. I only hope you are fake doctor (pharmacist, dentist, PA).

You are the one campaigning vax vs non-vax. I was only telling you that obesity is a much bigger risk to your livelihood in general (with or without COVID). Maybe read a bit more how being vastly overweight cuts your life down.
and costs us trillions

How quickly you walked into your own web.. I only hope you are fake doctor (pharmacist, dentist, PA).

Also really odd how you said “worthy Americans.” Yes, you can be unhealthy and be an American. We all have bad habits.
There has been an obesity epidemic for decades. And alcohol causes 100k /deaths per year. You really think no one in healthcare/policy has tried to improve those areas? Whataboutism at its finest. For the record, it’s not just morbidly obese pts at high risk. BMI>25 is a risk factor. That would likely capture a lot of people within everyone’s families/friends.

There has been an obesity epidemic for decades. And alcohol causes 100k /deaths per year. You really think no one in healthcare/policy has tried to improve those areas? Whataboutism at its finest. For the record, it’s not just morbidly obese pts at high risk. BMI>25 is a risk factor. That would likely capture a lot of people within everyone’s families/friends.
we need to bring back public shaming in a big way

There you go again with your casedemic.

I'm sure you clean up threads before we even see them, but the stuff that remains should remain on this board, not moved to premium.

There is no need for anymore Covid discussions. Those of us who read the board daily are well aware of who is pro-mask, who is anti-mask, who is pro vax, who is anti vax, who trusts the CDC, who doesn't et. al. As a matter of fact, I bet I could represent myself as the various passionate posters and state their cases virtually verbatim since I have read their exact same opinions over and over and over.

There is no need for anymore Covid discussions. Those of us who read the board daily are well aware of who is pro-mask, who is anti-mask, who is pro vax, who is anti vax, who trusts the CDC, who doesn't et. al. As a matter of fact, I bet I could represent myself as the various passionate posters and state their cases virtually verbatim since I have read their exact same opinions over and over and over.

Hmmm where do I fit in your delicate ecosystem? I received the inoculation months ago, but I don’t think you should be forced to show your personal medical records to businesses or government.

Cloth masks are pointless. My wife’s words (she’s a real doc, unlike regiondoc).. surgical masks changed regularly and n95 are solid though.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
As Jimmy Chitwood might say, "I don't know if it will make any change, but I figure it's time for me to start talking football."

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Testing, Testing,

Reactions: Bugeater
what a hero. does your arm ever tire from the back patting?

small sample of ~100 active cancer patients in my wife's oncology clinic: ~60% were knowingly directly exposed to covid at home, 35% tested positive for covid, zero were intubated, zero died.

I am an advocate of healthy eating at home, provided by parents. not 3 meals/day at school, where her version of 'healthy eating' was bought & paid for by the highest processed food bidder & being a ward of the state was made to look attractive.

eggs, beans, veggies are essentially free. parents who don't properly nourish their kids should be thrown down a well.

My wife is also an oncologist. They have such great taste in men 😁.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
if you're not fat or old, covid is completely irrelevant

lose weight, get outside and don't be old

now back to football
normally would agree with you, but saw first hand in Indonesia that the delta variant doesn't care how old you are or your obesity level..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT