ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is one of the most ignorant statements I've read on this board. Some conservatives don't mind paying taxes if they government uses the money wisely. When they throw millions of dollars at the Kennedy Center in a COVID-19 relief bill, well then we get pissed. I've said that on a state level my state HAS to increase the gas tax to repair roads. Well they did it but part of the sell job was that the counties would get help with their roads. Wrong. I've gone out on a 2 miles stretch of road along my farm and actually done some of the work myself to save my township money. Conservatives believe in actually doing something to help instead of just throwing money at ineffective programs.
I personally do not think the current administration represents conservatives, either social or fiscal. An R-Prez hasn't cared about being fiscally responsible in 30+ years. There of course are incongruities...like you can't really cut military spending, and when they get in the war room they find out that welfare for degenerates is a really small portion of spending. There is a little bit of fat to cut when it comes to student grants and scholarships... of course environmental cuts can be popular but a vast majority of spending is on entitlement for people we think deserve the handout. And so there isn't really a lot to cut that hasn't already been cut, and in walk the lobbyists from big corporate who want a tax cut. So without cutting any spending you are looking at cutting taxes, and the deficit is driven up. My preference is that the there is a flat tax rate but corporate has to actually compete and it is illegal to lobby, tax breaks are illegal, and tax shelters are illegal. Government interference in business is the most destructive force in our economy, and it isn't because government is too restrictive, it is because government picks favorites and destroys competition. And historically we have been a nation of syndicates who control government rather than a government for the people who allows the free market to serve the people.

Reactions: cornhustler
You have to drug the sh## out of someone to put them on a ventilator. I don't know if I would want to be on a ventilator even if I was sure it would save my life. I've had a couple of cases of nasty viral pneumonia in the past several years that didn't require hospitalization but man it makes you think about thing when you can hear and feel the fluid rattling in your lower airways.
The first autopsy was on a man who was claustrophobic and in china I think they put that box on your head when you are ventilated. He refused and they basically had to let him die. I don't want to get this.

[
  1. I personally do not think the current administration represents conservatives, either social or fiscal. An R-Prez hasn't cared about being fiscally responsible in 30+ years. There of course are incongruities...like you can't really cut military spending, and when they get in the war room they find out that welfare for degenerates is a really small portion of spending. There is a little bit of fat to cut when it comes to student grants and scholarships... of course environmental cuts can be popular but a vast majority of spending is on entitlement for people we think deserve the handout. And so there isn't really a lot to cut that hasn't already been cut, and in walk the lobbyists from big corporate who want a tax cut. So without cutting any spending you are looking at cutting taxes, and the deficit is driven up. My preference is that the there is a flat tax rate but corporate has to actually compete and it is illegal to lobby, tax breaks are illegal, and tax shelters are illegal. Government interference in business is the most destructive force in our economy, and it isn't because government is too restrictive, it is because government picks favorites and destroys competition. And historically we have been a nation of syndicates who control government rather than a government for the people who allows the free market to serve the people.
    I really don't want to get in to a long discussion of conservative versus liberal politics. Obviously Trump is not a fiscal conservative other than he hates high taxes. On the social side his policy moves and Supreme Court picks have fallen in line. The founding fathers feared a strong central government and with good cause. The largest tax cuts in history undertaken by Ronald Reagan would have led to balanced budgets IF Tip O'Neill hadn't reneged on his promise to limit spending increases. That started the ball rolling down hill. That said it led to a recovery from the disastrous Jimmy Carter policy decisions....and believe it or not as a stupid college student I actually campaigned for and voted for Carter. Good man. Horrible cheif executive. :oops: Sadly, I think Gerald Ford would have done a good job if given a full term.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
GBR, this Coronavirus is SO MUCH MORE HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS.

Look at these few cruise ships that got hit with it.

I championed the flu on BS China data. You are driving it home on a false pretense.

I posted the cruise ship data. Here's a snippet in case you've forgotten.

The cruise ship is almost certainly a more contagious environment than real life. The population is probably older than real life as well. The results are below.

Reactions: dinglefritz

The cruise ship is almost certainly a more contagious environment than real life. The population is probably older than real life as well. The results are below.

Dude, 4 people dead on the deadliest ship. Couldn't find a port. Please.

Holy shiite, Covid-19 could be a blood disease
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pstorage-chemrxiv-899408398289/22129965/covid19202000328EN1.pdf So blood type and genetics could certainly play a role in severity of illness as the study says this particular coronavirus could stem from an ancient virus. Looks like legit scientific study, whatever that means.

there were stories a month ago about Chinese that patients with type O red Blood cells faring the best and Type A fairing the worst. Chinese data of course so I realize that some are skeptical but it does back up what you are saying

Not to mention the Jan-Feb period before a real outbreak.

GBR is dangerous. Reminds me of HTO, right early, then completely wrong and too stubborn to admit it.

Reactions: headcard

It would be interesting to know IF they did any testing for antibodies on passengers who never showed any symptoms. I think we're going to find that the percentage of people who get exposed to this virus and actually don't get sick is much higher than the 50% they talk about now.

Reactions: WHCSC
Bad news for those who think we are reaching herd immunity

Data below is from Imperial College study...March 28th....
Prediction from a fairly complex model

Country % of total population infected
Austria 1.1% [0.36%-3.1%]
Belgium 3.7% [1.3%-9.7%]
Denmark 1.1% [0.40%-3.1%]
France 3.0% [1.1%-7.4%]
Germany 0.72% [0.28%-1.8%]
Italy 9.8% [3.2%-26%]
Norway 0.41% [0.09%-1.2%]
Spain 15% [3.7%-41%]
Sweden 3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]
Switzerland 3.2% [1.3%-7.6%]
United Kingdom 2.7% [1.2%-5.4%]

Keep in mind...non-pharmaceutical measures made ALL of the difference here. The predict R0 value of 3.5-4 has been dropped to near 1 in many european countries which explains the drop in cases. The drop has nothing to do with herd immunity in most cases...maybe spain and italy. America is likely near the 3 % of population infected...which is still 10 million people! We have a long way to go.

What is herd immunity...some say 80%...Diamond Princess only had 20% infection rate...so...
Spain and Italy are the only countries even close to herd immunity...hopefully it is 20%....Influenza is 30% or so.

Stopped reading at the bolded underlined part. Almost certainly garbage.

Reactions: bluenrg
Not to mention the Jan-Feb period before a real outbreak.

GBR is dangerous. Reminds me of HTO, right early, then completely wrong and too stubborn to admit it.
I wouldn't be so sure that he's completely wrong. I also don't think YOU were completely wrong earlier either. This thing is not nearly as deadly for most people as we were led to believe. It's not the flu as you asserted but we're finding out that some of the projections were not accurate either.

I wouldn't be so sure that he's completely wrong. I also don't think YOU were completely wrong earlier either. This thing is not nearly as deadly for most people as we were led to believe. It's not the flu as you asserted but we're finding out that some of the projections were not accurate either.

BS. This is highly contagious in dense populations.

The fact you guys are in Nebraska doesn't change that.

When I agreed with GBR, it was when China had reported 4k deaths. Tops. Then it took off.

China is completely full of shit where/when it started. Or they did it intentionally.

Last edited:
That is one of the most ignorant statements I've read on this board. Some conservatives don't mind paying taxes if the government uses the money wisely. When they throw millions of dollars at the Kennedy Center in a COVID-19 relief bill, well then we get pissed. I've said that on a state level my state HAS to increase the gas tax to repair roads. Well they did it but part of the sell job was that the counties would get help with their roads. Wrong. I've gone out on a 2 miles stretch of road along my farm and actually done some of the work myself to save my township money. Conservatives believe in actually doing something to help instead of just throwing money at ineffective programs.

It is fact, that unless you watch Fox news that you only ever get one side of the issues in California. Look at what a mess that state is in.

I would say telling someone that doesn’t vote the way you want they have been brainwashed by liberal media is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. But yes, assuming he votes the way he does because of his principals is way more ignorant...

A study by disease modelers at the University of Texas at Austin states that "Given the low testing rates throughout the country, we assume that 1 in 10 cases are tested and reported. If a county has detected only 1 case of COVID-19, there is a 51% chance that there is already a growing outbreak underway"

The reason projections are coming down is because I have been home for 2 weeks straight. Social distancing.

Again, you guys can't imagine dense populations.

A study by disease modelers at the University of Texas at Austin states that "Given the low testing rates throughout the country, we assume that 1 in 10 cases are tested and reported. If a county has detected only 1 case of COVID-19, there is a 51% chance that there is already a growing outbreak underway"

Why does Solana Beach take every oppty in this thread to bring up some CNN data nonsense? Jesus. No wonder Trump is going to roll in 2020.

Trump cares about America, is optimistic, and is a cheerleader for our country.

You "other" guys want to tear us down at every turn.

I would say telling someone that doesn’t vote the way you want they have been brainwashed by liberal media is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. But yes, assuming he votes the way he does because of his principals is way more ignorant...
I think your are misinformed about me as a person and my principals based on your f'n ignorant statement. It's the same old sh##. Conservatives are nasty uncaring people who want to steal your social security checks and starve the children. Right? You know, I read lots of articles from the LA Times, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today. When was the last time you read the National Review? Do you think maybe your world view could be a little skewed by the news you take in? The answer is yes. But go ahead and call me a heartless money grubbing nasty conservative. BTW, I supported roughly 20 different charities from Habitat for Humanity to Food For The Poor last year to the tune of about 30K. What did you do?

It would be interesting to know IF they did any testing for antibodies on passengers who never showed any symptoms. I think we're going to find that the percentage of people who get exposed to this virus and actually don't get sick is much higher than the 50% they talk about now.

I am pretty sure I have already posted this and it was discussed, speaks volumes that we're rehashing the same stuff over and over.

Almost half, 46.5%, of the infections aboard the Diamond Princess were asymptomatic when they were tested...

I realize that may be different than a true antibody test, but until Stanford completes their survey it's the best info we have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc...bins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

Bring on herd immunity. Let's get this over with!

BS. This is highly contagious in dense populations.

The fact you guys are in Nebraska doesn't change that.

When I agreed with GBR, it was when China had reported 4k deaths. Tops. Then it took off.

China is completely full of shit where/when it started. Or they did it intentionally.
There is no doubt that China bears the brunt of the responsibility for this world pandemic. Their motives for keeping this quiet for as long as they did certainly look unscrupulous. CV is very contagious. So is the flu. Turns out it is a fair amount more likely to spread than the flu but that's because most people carry some degree of immunity to influenza from previous years exposure to similar influenza viruses. CV is also able to persist in the environment longer than the flu.

I am pretty sure I have already posted this and it was discussed, speaks volumes that we're rehashing the same stuff over and over.

Almost half, 46.5%, of the infections aboard the Diamond Princess were asymptomatic when they were tested...

I realize that may be different than a true antibody test, but until Stanford completes their survey it's the best info we have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc...bins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html
So they tested ALL of the passengers then for COVID-19? That still wouldn't indicate if a person had been exposed early on and had quickly eliminated the virus though without becoming ill. The only way to ascertain that would be to test all virus negative persons via an antibody test to discover previous exposure.

Z79ocnFic4_hxglkwDoHv_gnuU0QeI3MqO6MjiuYE2r_YGp1WGSuqdEb4TAau17S7TuQVdUbH3uHb6RCCAWoErLpaWpWD4w

Too soon???

Reactions: dinglefritz

Every study that I have seen today tells me this thing is every bit as deadly or more deadly than we thought. The early guidance was that we were looking at 90% of criticals occurring people older than 65...that isn't happening in America. A lot less of the population has been infected than lay people imagined, and the virus is lot more unpredictable than we imagined. We have no treatments that are consistent and proven. Yes...the peak is in April but that is for a lockdown reality...and 2500 Americans are going to every day at the peak. But then we have to come out of lockdown and only 10% of US at max is going to have immunity. Hitting the peak is akin to winning Midway against the Japanese...it feels good when you aren't at the frontlines, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel for those directly involved.

I think your are misinformed about me as a person and my principals based on your f'n ignorant statement. It's the same old sh##. Conservatives are nasty uncaring people who want to steal your social security checks and starve the children. Right? You know, I read lots of articles from the LA Times, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today. When was the last time you read the National Review? Do you think maybe your world view could be a little skewed by the news you take in? The answer is yes. But go ahead and call me a heartless money grubbing nasty conservative. BTW, I supported roughly 20 different charities from Habitat for Humanity to Food For The Poor last year to the tune of about 30K. What did you do?

You want to continue to attack me and make it personal, fine by me.

You are the one that said another poster didn’t vote the way you like because he is brainwashed by the evil media (but not the ones you like, they are different). I replied that I assume he voted the way he did because he believes in the basic principles most Democrats do. Sorry you are so offended by that. You attacked him and me (again) no one said anything about you.

As for me, yes my wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to give back to our community and country (not political candidates). We do not have the means to give 30K in a year, so congrats on that flex.

However, I’m certain it’s your personal attacks and stereotypes that need adjusted. I do read a variety of publications and have voted for many candidates from both parties, as I am not an ideologue married to one party come hell or high water.

As a matter of fact, I am a registered Republican. In all honesty, it is because I live in a red state and primaries are very important on the state and local level. Still, I very much relate to the moderate, common sense republicans, but have very little patience for the extreme ultra-conservatives, attacking any and every one that dares to have an opinion not endorsed by Bannon or Carlson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerpro
Every study that I have seen today tells me this thing is every bit as deadly or more deadly than we thought. The early guidance was that we were looking at 90% of criticals occurring people older than 65...that isn't happening in America. A lot less of the population has been infected than lay people imagined, and the virus is lot more unpredictable than we imagined. We have no treatments that are consistent and proven. Yes...the peak is in April but that is for a lockdown reality...and 2500 Americans are going to every day at the peak. But then we have to come out of lockdown and only 10% of US at max is going to have immunity. Hitting the peak is akin to winning Midway against the Japanese...it feels good when you aren't at the frontlines, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel for those directly involved.

fearfearfear

panicpanicpanic

CNNCNNCNN

Lol!

So they tested ALL of the passengers then for COVID-19? That still wouldn't indicate if a person had been exposed early on and had quickly eliminated the virus though without becoming ill. The only way to ascertain that would be to test all virus negative persons via an antibody test to discover previous exposure.
I don't know if you are talking about the diamond princess, but they tested everybody. 20% infected, half were symptomatic, 0.5% death rate. The virus is still present at 2+ weeks even if person can't "infect" somebody. So maybe some passed it really quick...and maybe the isolation measures worked to lower the infection rate. But that is a pretty good case study.

You want to continue to attack me and make it personal, fine by me. You are the one that said another poster didn’t vote the way you like because he is brainwashed by the evil media (but not the ones you like, they are different). I replied that I assume he voted the way he did because he believes in the basic principles most Democrats do. Sorry you are so offended by that. You attacked him and me, again, no one said anything about you personally. As for me, yes my wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to give back to our community and country (not political candidates). We do not have the means to give 30K in a year, so congrats on that flex. Your personal attacks and stereotypes are the ones that need adjusted. I do read a variety of publications and have voted for many candidates from both parties, as I am not an ideologue married to one party come hell or high water. As a matter of fact, I am a registered Republican. In all honesty, it is because I live in a red state and primaries are very important on the state and local level. I very much relate to the moderate, common sense republicans, but have very little patience for the extreme ultra conservatives attacking any and every one that dares to have an opinion not endorsed by Bannon or Carlson.

Throw a few new paragraph breaks in there, makes it more interesting and easier to read.

GBR

Meh. There's disagreement everywhere on the models and the models change by the hour it seems. The bottomline is practice your social distancing. Be careful in public and we'll be fine. All we can do is keep the level at a place where the healthcare system can somewhat handle it. At the pace they're developing the vaccine, we'll probably have a significant population immunity in effect before the vaccine is available. We're not going to stop it. We just need to keep it in check and try to keep it out of senior care centers.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I don't know if you are talking about the diamond princess, but they tested everybody. 20% infected, half were symptomatic, 0.5% death rate. The virus is still present at 2+ weeks even if person can't "infect" somebody. So maybe some passed it really quick...and maybe the isolation measures worked to lower the infection rate. But that is a pretty good case study.
Not everybody who gets infected/exposed carries the virus at detectable levels for 2 weeks. The only way to assess whether somebody had been exposed on day one of the cruise is to do antibody testing unless the cruise was a very short one.. Trust me. I've dealt with things like this is my profession. I don't know how long these folks were on the boat I guess. IF it were something less than a week to 10 days then yeah I would say that they had found everybody who had been infected. IF it was over 2 weeks, then some could have fallen through the cracks.

Yet over 99.9% of the population is going to survive the chinavirus.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT